THE OotS Thread, Part V

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Re: THE OotS Thread, Part V

Post by LadyTevar »

Huh... wonder if Redcloak can get his God to listen?
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Rogue 9 wrote: 2020-07-16 08:55pm 1207 is up.
So for a long time Redcloak has been the most level headed and forward thinking villain and one wonders if being told the world revolve around him may have some impact on his actions going forward.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Mr Bean wrote: 2020-07-16 09:04pm
Rogue 9 wrote: 2020-07-16 08:55pm 1207 is up.
So for a long time Redcloak has been the most level headed and forward thinking villain and one wonders if being told the world revolve around him may have some impact on his actions going forward.
I'm pretty sure it will. That's heady stuff.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

I reeeeally hope Redcloak doesn't suddenly go off into Maniacal cackling.
I can see it changing his outlook, but as said, he is one of the most logical and level headed people in the entire series, and I would hate to think that, for sake of a quick laugh, they have go down the "MWAH HA HA! I AM ABOVE THE GODS!" or something equally silly.
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Either way, it'd be quite an ego boost to find out that all the deities in creation are waiting on your next move. The big question is, in what way will that affect his decision making? As it will surely affect his decision making in some capacity, but how?

A. Gods bow before me(IE, the intense pride and arrogance option)
B. Doesn't care and goes forward anyway out of disbelief, doubling down.
C. More and more restraint to the point of inaction
D. Stops Redcloak
E. Sides with the heroes
F. Just goes crazy because that much weight on one person can really mess with you.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Alternate: Redcloak serves his people, and his deity. Probably in that order.

I can see Redcloak asking for a formal offer (after some heady enjoyment), and then taking it to the Dark One.

I can actually see the end game of this being, the Dark One says 'no', but in the end, Red Cloak casts that Ninth level spell anyway, knowing it's the right thing, the only thing, to do.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

"humans keep having babies with them"

Interesting. Redcloak's starting off with a hard to sell but doable demand. Definitely off to a better start than expected.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Ralin wrote: 2020-07-28 04:21pm "humans keep having babies with them"

Interesting. Redcloak's starting off with a hard to sell but doable demand. Definitely off to a better start than expected.
And while RedCloak has been fighting for this equality from the first, this is a very timely topic. Racism by any other name...

Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Anyone else notice how Redcloak keeps going off on tangents while Durkon repeatedly steers the conversation back on target? Makes me wonder exactly how serious Redcloak is taking this. Though granted, having someone from a PC race he can talk to about the Plan as a peer and be treated with respect has to be a new experience for him.
LadyTevar wrote: 2020-07-28 07:30pm And while RedCloak has been fighting for this equality from the first, this is a very timely topic. Racism by any other name...
Yeah, but it's still an open question how much Redcloak cares about equality vs revanchism. It's also not clear what he'd accept in terms of guarantees. Getting Azure City's government to agree to relinquish their claim to the city is a difficult but not impossible task. Ditto for him deciding he can trust Hinjo et al to keep it. But that doesn't make goblins a PC race. It just means they have a major city and that the Azurites are not currently at war with them.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

I think Redcloak is smart enough to realise just because everyone agrees to peace at that point, doesn't mean that it will last.

This is more like 'okay, we've got most of it via hard work, now, we want a chance to show we deserve to keep it'
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Huh....
Ok, That got a bit more aggressive than I was anticipating.. Which I am somewhat relieved about. I was worried things would be TOO simple for the sake of a quick joke or two.

Yes, Redcloak is going off on tangents, but these are things that NEED to be discussed if there is any hope of a REAL agreement with the Goblins, and by extension with The Dark One. Redcloaks anger is 100% justified here.

Durkon has been doing ok keeping his cool, but I think he is coming at things TOO Logically right now. He is thinking of economic and diplomatic things, and has to ALSO connect with the obvious deep seated history of oppression and, well "being treated like cannon fodder" of Goblin kind.
Durkons "There are three ways this goes, and 2 out of 3 has you not getting what you want" is going to come back to bite him.

OUT of Universe...
OBVIOUSLY things will not end here, because that would end the comic. The talk, while good, will HAVE to end in failure at some point by act of plot. And things will continue on until such point as "The End" is actually approaching...

Right now my guess is on Roy and the others showing up, and Redcloak going "AHA So this was all a trap!" and scurrying off.
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

Or Xykon turning up and going ape.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Actually, Redcloak and Durkon can come to an agreement just fine.
Then we have to see the gods agreeing to it (or Redcloak deciding to go it without the Dark Ones consent)
Second, they still have to find the Gate, so Redcloak can cast that 9th level spell at it.

They also have to deal with Xykon

There is also the entire 'worlds within the Rifts' thing.

All an agreement between Redcloak and Durkon does is give them more leeway in saving the world. Nothing more.

TimothyC
Of Sector 2814

Post by TimothyC »

Oh no.
"I believe in the future. It is wonderful because it stands on what has been achieved." - Sergei Korolev
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

TimothyC wrote: 2020-08-03 02:05pm 1209

Oh no.
Hate to say it, but I'm not surprised. He might come around later.

Raesene
Jedi Master

Post by Raesene »

I'd guess there's another member of Team Evil that's seeing him talking to Durkon, so he has to cover it up.
Or, it's a way to send him up to talk to Thor directly.

"In view of the circumstances, Britannia waives the rules."

"All you have to do is to look at Northern Ireland, [...] to see how seriously the religious folks take "thou shall not kill. The more devout they are, the more they see murder as being negotiable." George Carlin

"We need to make gay people live in fear again! What ever happened to the traditional family values of persecution and lies?" - Darth Wong
"The closet got full and some homosexuals may have escaped onto the internet?"- Stormbringer

Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Goddamn it, Redcloak
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

I’d LIKE the “sending to Thor directly” explanation.. but that doesn’t hold up under what we know of the different ways to contact a diety.

I am hoping it may be “covering up for team Evil” just because I like Redcloak too much to think he’d “end negotiations” in such a fashion.

I’m actually very impressed with Durkon, he said exactly what was needed at the end. It won’t be pretty right away, it will be hard and messy, but you have to start somewhere
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Yeah, I think he saw someone, that's why the closed eyes, then cast a spell he figures that Durkon can resist.
EIther that, or his god said (via the Mantle) - I need to think, send him off.

AniThyng
Sith Devotee

Post by AniThyng »

I'm going to put my bets on the RC cast implosion on himself to meet TDO personally theory. It does fit with durkons expression and that he appears to be on the outer edge of a distortion bubble
I do know how to spell
AniThyng is merely the name I gave to what became my favourite Baldur's Gate II mage character :P
Napoleon the Clown
Jedi Council Member

Post by Napoleon the Clown »

Come to think of it, Redcloak might be popping an implosion on Xykon's phylactery. It would require house ruling to affect an item, but OotS has seen house ruling before. I checked the comic where implosion was used the first time, though, and it didn't display a warping bubble consistent with the most recent comic. The only character that started to warp was the target.

Gotta wait and see.
Sig images are for people who aren't fucking lazy.
Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

No, he definitely cast it on Durkon. He's used the spell before and that distortion effect is what happens to the target while it's working.

Anyway, Redcloak's pragmatism doesn't change the fact that he's both Evil with a capital E and supremely incapable of changing his mind. Remember how he interrogated O'chul even after he was certain he didn't know anything. This isn't particularly surprising.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Going after O'chul was to keep Xykon thinking 'We're still looking for details about the other Gates', so the Goblins would have more time to stablize things.