Teleportation in Warhammer 40k

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

WhiteLion
Padawan Learner

Teleportation in Warhammer 40k

Post by WhiteLion »

I have read that teleportation in 40k is essentially a journey through warp by objects and soldiers, it is used to assault ships during battles by placing teams of spacemarines and items on enemy ships. In this way the Phalanx was assaulted by Captain Darnath Lysander of the Imperial Fists.
In your opinion, being a journey through warp by psychic powers by the astropaths of the ship, how would it behave on ships of other universes?
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Re: Teleportation in Warhammer 40k

Post by NecronLord »

It doesn't work through shields, as per the Battlefleet Gothic tabletop game, so anyone with shields won't be affected unless they're brought down; star trek rules.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

It's also quite dangerous and unreliable without either teleport homers or cheating (see Grey Knights Interceptor Squads). There's a reason they usually only send Terminators through the teleports.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

I should note that astropaths have nothing to do with it either, they're pretty much wholly mechanical, though they might have some psyker-derived servitor in there.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
WhiteLion
Padawan Learner

Post by WhiteLion »

NecronLord wrote: 2019-09-19 10:44am It doesn't work through shields, as per the Battlefleet Gothic tabletop game, so anyone with shields won't be affected unless they're brought down; star trek rules.
yes, the transporter in Star Trek is like that, but in 40k it is different, it goes beyond the shields without problems because it travels through the warp going around them.
As a source, I would like to mention the Terminator Titanhammer Squad.
In addition, there are also weapons such as warp missiles, which travel in the warp and reach the targets by bypassing the shields. (source: https://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Warp_Missile, https://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Termin ... mmer_Squad)
WhiteLion
Padawan Learner

Post by WhiteLion »

https://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Void_shield

The Titan's shields can be bypassed via the transporter, as in the case of Terminator Titanhammer Squads or special Warp Missiles traveling through the Warp. [10d

there are ships (including Astartes, Inquisition and AdMech) equipped with teleportation. It is a known tactic to use transporters to unload ammunition into objects (the inquisitor Kryptmann and the Deathwatch Renegades under his command did it on a moon to divert a fleet of hives towards the Orc space). SW, ST, BSG and SG have no defense against warp teleportation as far as I know.
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Warp missiles use the same technology as a warp drive, not a teleporter. While these are related these are different technologies; not least there is an engine attached to the missile and the warp drive, not to teleported persons.

The Titanhammer formation (link the original source not a wiki if you can) describes the event only in the most vague terms, I would be inclined to think the titan's shields were already damaged or partially down (which can happen with Emperor titans) given the many other instances of shields needing to be dropped before teleportation can take place.

An example of this is the recent novel Watchers of the Throne: The Emperor's Legion, where the shields of a civilian transport that's already half crippled provide complete proof against teleportariums of an Adeptus Custodes Battle Barge. The Custodians have to open fire to drop their shields before beaming aboard.

You may also be familiar with the story of Horus fighting the Emperor, where Horus drops the Vengeful Spirit's void shields to challenge the Emperor to teleport aboard. By implication that means the Emperor couldn't teleport aboard before that. So if you're thinking that it's routine to teleport through shields based on a piece of lore from a single formation in an obsolete book, remember it contradicts the single most important fight in the entire setting.
WhiteLion
Padawan Learner

Post by WhiteLion »

ok thank you, I misunderstood the two technologies.
Could you give me some references on which to deepen my notions on teleportation?
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Honestly, I just have. Battlefleet Gothic, the Wargame, explains it in basic terms. Emperor's Legion shows it in use in a novel's context, there are other novels but there are too many to mention; they're a common piece of technology.