Anyone watched Netflix's Godzilla? Spoilers, part 2

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

tezunegari
Jedi Knight

Anyone watched Netflix's Godzilla? Spoilers, part 2

Post by tezunegari »

Original thread: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=167126

Netflix has finally released the second part.

In a short summary... it's the same as the first. People get their hopes up, everything looks fine, and then fertilizer is applied in massive amounts to the plan.

It really was fun to watch, especially ones the horror starts to be realized by the humans.

WATCH THE AFTER CREDITS STINGER!
"Bring your thousands, I have my axe."
"Bring your cannons, I have my armor."
"Bring your mighty... I am my own champion."
Cue Unit-01 ramming half the Lance of Longinus down Adam's head and a bemused Gendo, "Wrong end, son."
Ikari Gendo, NGE Fanfiction "Standing Tall"
Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Re: Anyone watched Netflix's Godzilla? Spoilers, part 2

Post by Majin Gojira »

I enjoyed it, but there were a few things that dinged my overall enjoyment. Namely, the blatant fridging.

But what I really enjoy about it is the world building. Details, ramifications, and anime-standard contemplations. I like that sort of thing.

A lot of people were disappointed with the lack of a Kaiju brawl, but I'm cool with it.

I'm also cool with the lead's overall development as a character.
ISARMA: Daikaiju Coordinator: Just Add Radiation
Justice League- Molly Hayes: Respect Hats or Freakin' Else!
Browncoat
Supernatural Taisen - "[This Story] is essentially "Wouldn't it be awesome if this happened?" Followed by explosions."

Reviewing movies is a lot like Paleontology: The Evidence is there...but no one seems to agree upon it.

"God! Are you so bored that you enjoy seeing us humans suffer?! Why can't you let this poor man live happily with his son! What kind of God are you, crushing us like ants?!" - Kyoami, Ran
Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

Just watched it, pretty solid. They graduated from Attack on Titan to Fortress Trap. The Bilusaludo, especially Galu-Gu, had to have known what he was doing too- he withheld information until the operation was underway, forcing mechainfusion was a goal of his.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

I think it's leading up to the Kaiju brawl, since I'm pretty sure the Houtua are worshiping Mothra's Egg.

But, as for this one ... "He Who Hunts Monsters May Become One" seems to sum up the story here. The Bilusaludo thought fusion would make them "more" and let them win, despite the price. Haruo, however, is right. Some prices are too high, and the loss of humanity is one of them. Always has been, in every genre that explores "What is Human".

The real question is "WTF IS METPHIES UP TO?" Is it just coincidence that I hear "Mephistopheles" or "Mephisto" when they speak his name in Japanese? Is there a reason why his name is a homophone for a demon who gives you just what you want, at a price? And now that he's named The Beast, is that the "God" the Exifs worship? Are they trying to summon IT to Earth to kill Godzilla?
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Post by Majin Gojira »

I wouldn't be surprised, Anime has a knack for taking western concepts like that and using them simply because they are largely unknown and 'weird' to the Japanese audience.

It happened in Evangelion, and hell, there's an Ultraman foe named Mephilas. It's not new territory.

It seems to me the Exifs are being chased across the universe by King Ghidorah. I bet that's the monster brawl we're going to get.
ISARMA: Daikaiju Coordinator: Just Add Radiation
Justice League- Molly Hayes: Respect Hats or Freakin' Else!
Browncoat
Supernatural Taisen - "[This Story] is essentially "Wouldn't it be awesome if this happened?" Followed by explosions."

Reviewing movies is a lot like Paleontology: The Evidence is there...but no one seems to agree upon it.

"God! Are you so bored that you enjoy seeing us humans suffer?! Why can't you let this poor man live happily with his son! What kind of God are you, crushing us like ants?!" - Kyoami, Ran
Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

LadyTevar wrote: 2018-08-05 05:00pm I think it's leading up to the Kaiju brawl, since I'm pretty sure the Houtua are worshiping Mothra's Egg.

But, as for this one ... "He Who Hunts Monsters May Become One" seems to sum up the story here. The Bilusaludo thought fusion would make them "more" and let them win, despite the price. Haruo, however, is right. Some prices are too high, and the loss of humanity is one of them. Always has been, in every genre that explores "What is Human".
Taking out the Houtua while they're at it. Heck, it seemed that some of them didn't view it as a 'price' even.
The real question is "WTF IS METPHIES UP TO?" Is it just coincidence that I hear "Mephistopheles" or "Mephisto" when they speak his name in Japanese? Is there a reason why his name is a homophone for a demon who gives you just what you want, at a price? And now that he's named The Beast, is that the "God" the Exifs worship? Are they trying to summon IT to Earth to kill Godzilla?
I had something of a less sinister read. Metphies, and the Exif in general, use alliance and aid of others and fights against the likes of Godzilla as a training bed/way to kill their monster.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Q99 wrote: 2018-08-06 04:22am I had something of a less sinister read. Metphies, and the Exif in general, use alliance and aid of others and fights against the likes of Godzilla as a training bed/way to kill their monster.
"Join your Intelligence". Yeah, share knowledge, test out ways of destroying other monsters, apply to the Beast that destroyed you. Makes sense to me. :)

But this leads to the idea brought up by the Exif, that the Kaiju are a response to Humanity's excesses and abuse of their world. It's not a new idea, that "Spaceship Earth" or "Gaia" might be trying to get rid of the 'virus' we humans have become. Saw a comic just today that connected the Earth getting hotter to a human getting a fever to destroy an illness.
SO ... Are Kaiju an immune response to Humanity? IS that why they all showed up again? Metphies implies that's why Ghidrah appeared, the Exif had over-worked their world.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

LadyTevar wrote: 2018-08-07 11:14pm "Join your Intelligence". Yeah, share knowledge, test out ways of destroying other monsters, apply to the Beast that destroyed you. Makes sense to me. :)

But this leads to the idea brought up by the Exif, that the Kaiju are a response to Humanity's excesses and abuse of their world. It's not a new idea, that "Spaceship Earth" or "Gaia" might be trying to get rid of the 'virus' we humans have become. Saw a comic just today that connected the Earth getting hotter to a human getting a fever to destroy an illness.
SO ... Are Kaiju an immune response to Humanity? IS that why they all showed up again? Metphies implies that's why Ghidrah appeared, the Exif had over-worked their world.
Yep, that solidly seems to be the big in-universe conclusion as to why monsters arise, and apparently as a common thing that happens on multiple worlds.

With the additional note that the immune response isn't unified- humanity is part of Earth too, which is why a few good monsters arose too, among the many that came up before humanity had to flee the Earth.
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Finally found time to watch this, I liked it but I see what folk mean on the lame ass ending murdering the female lead for nothing.

Also the whole mechgodzilla planet thing, was cool and new , but in the end go back to sentence one, the ending was lame. Even if mechagodzilla base was going to takeover the planet in some insane amount of time, so what? Humans would have ample time to plan for alternatives, while not having to fear giant monsters, and the idea of zero human evolution or 'we aren't human' gets nonsensical fast. It felt kinda like the people making this movie realized oh no, we've been too creative, quick bring back the most worthless anime cliches we can find!

I do hope the big boss King Ghidorah shows up in part three, and is so massive his wings blow the moon into the earth and godzilla explodes the moon with his death ray, but that's probably not going to happen.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Stella365
Redshirt

Post by Stella365 »

Very much like the first one. They could have done better.
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

Stella365 wrote: 2018-08-31 12:25pm Very much like the first one. They could have done better.
Agreed. It's been entertaining but like a lot of Anime it's kind of meh. Especially when you consider them marketing it as a Godzilla movie.

That being said, the Godzilla designs have been cool and my 14 year old nephew has been loving the show on Netflix, which is a plus.
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Tsyroc wrote: 2018-10-19 01:21pm That being said, the Godzilla designs have been cool and my 14 year old nephew has been loving the show on Netflix, which is a plus.
Yeah, let's talk Godzilla. Massively ancient, still walking around, bigger and badder than before, and Earth creatures have evolved similar traits in order to survive.

Now, the series brings in psuedo-Science, something that I'd have to go back and watch again to get the details, but mostly it can be broken down below:
Godzilla's body is a huge bio-electronic battery, which gives him protection from weaponry in the form of an energy shield, and also is the source of his breath weapon.
That shield can be measured by wave-length. Overload the shield, there will be a measurable dip in wave-length.
This EMP-based missile/harpoon weapon will fuck with his body's energy output and he will implode due to the disruption of his bio-energy.
Hit him after the shield goes down, and you can kill Godzilla.

At least, you can kill (one of?) the Godzuki. Godzilla himself managed to externalize his damaged bio-energy.

I am wondering if this externalization of Bio-Energy might show up again during the battle against King Ghidrah.

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Re: Anyone watched Netflix's Godzilla? Spoilers, part 3

Post by LadyTevar »

I WAS RIGHT!!!!
Spoiler
The Exif God is Ghidrah!
I'll write more after I watch it.

Mr. G
Youngling

Post by Mr. G »

I though the trilogy was pretty fun. It was written by Urobuchi who likes that kind of heavy handed philosophical approach to fiction: it is uncompromising in its lack of ambiguity, almost as if he where writing a technical manual instead of a movie series.

While I don't think the last movie made a lot of sense it was funny that I was rooting for Godzilla thinking "he is an evil monster but he is our evil monster" instead of the transdimensional creature he was fighting against.

Still the best Godzilla movie was Shin Godzilla, that one was a memorable one, despite being a very conventional monster movie it was something that felt fresh because I had been ages since I watched a well made conventional monster movie (since Hollywood does not know how to make decent movies anymore).