Captain America's Shield: The Physics thread

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Ted C
Sith Marauder

Captain America's Shield: The Physics thread

Post by Ted C »

So, here's a hypothesis for the various behaviors we've seen of the shield.

The shield absorbs kinetic energy, but momentum still has to be conserved. This means Cap can still feel a blow to the shield and still be knocked around.

Not all parts of the shield absorb energy equally. He can strike with the edge and do harm, while taking a blow in the shield's center that would break bones.

There's a limit to how much energy the shield will absorb. More than that limit is reflected back the direction it came from.

Other idea?
"This is supposed to be a happy occasion... Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who."
-- The King of Swamp Castle, Monty Python and the Holy Grail

"Nothing of consequence happened today. " -- Diary of King George III, July 4, 1776

"This is not bad; this is a conspiracy to remove happiness from existence. It seeks to wrap its hedgehog hand around the still beating heart of the personification of good and squeeze until it is stilled."
-- Chuck Sonnenburg on Voyager's "Elogium"
Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Re: Captain America's Shield: The Physics thread

Post by Ahriman238 »

Are we accepting movie evidence? Comics? Animated?
"Any plan which requires the direct intervention of any deity to work can be assumed to be a very poor one."- Newbiespud
Ted C
Sith Marauder

Post by Ted C »

This is mostly a Cinematic Universe thread.
"This is supposed to be a happy occasion... Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who."
-- The King of Swamp Castle, Monty Python and the Holy Grail

"Nothing of consequence happened today. " -- Diary of King George III, July 4, 1776

"This is not bad; this is a conspiracy to remove happiness from existence. It seeks to wrap its hedgehog hand around the still beating heart of the personification of good and squeeze until it is stilled."
-- Chuck Sonnenburg on Voyager's "Elogium"
Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Post by Ahriman238 »

Ah. Okay. In that case, the most impressive things we see the shield do are let Cap survive an overhead strike from Thor, and resist the HYDRA disintegration beams countless times. Well, the Glowstick of Destiny too, I suppose.
"Any plan which requires the direct intervention of any deity to work can be assumed to be a very poor one."- Newbiespud
Gaidin
Sith Devotee

Post by Gaidin »

It all depends on the amount of force obviously. I think Conservation of Momentum is right in a comic book sense.

Thor's Hammer threw Thor back with how much force that thing threw onto the shield, but with how little force Bucky could comparatively throw onto the shield with 'just' a cybernetic punch it just sorta stops him and he starts pushing down from there, if that makes sense. At least as far as the shield blocking blows anyway.
Napoleon the Clown
Jedi Council Member

Post by Napoleon the Clown »

The edge not absorbing blows isn't enough to explain how we've seen Cap use the shield. He's smashed faces in with the front of the shield, too.

Maybe some property of the shield allows force (and rapid acceleration) to be applied from one side but not the other, or some shit. So Bucky's punch initially stops, but he keeps pushing and the acceleration is slow enough to not trigger some sort of reaction in the shield that would stop it. And when Cap smacks a bitch the shield allows him to apply force since the acceleration originated from his side of the shield. Or something.
Sig images are for people who aren't fucking lazy.
Gaidin
Sith Devotee

Post by Gaidin »

You're still just talking about amount of force in essence and it stems from Thor >>> Bucky > Cap smacking a bitch.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

The cinematic universe is just as silly as the comic version. There is no way to explain it other than with made up "science".
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
InsaneTD
Jedi Knight

Post by InsaneTD »

What if the amount of energy absorbed is proportional to the strength of the attack? Bullets aren't just stopped dead in the movie, the ricochet off, so the shield is doing Bugger all to their energy, might not even do anything to it, the shield thickness and captain's strength being enough. Attacks that can't be absorbed are reflected instead.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Bullets ricocheting is actually a very intuitive behavior for the shield- it's a thick slab of metal held by a very strong man. Bullets would tend to ricochet like that off a steel plate, too.

Personally, I think the problem is that in the movies they have the shield act more or less like we'd expect a metal slab to work against 'human-scale' threats, things like punches, bullets, and being thrown. But against things like artillery or ray guns or the hammer of Thor, it acts differently than you'd expect from just handing a guy an infinitely tough slab of metal and saying "good luck!"

So any anomalous behavior must be applying to very energetic events.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Grumman
Jedi Council Member

Post by Grumman »

While it isn't a perfect match, the way I'd treat it is to say it negates force applied to the front of the shield, and that's it. It can't negate force applied to the edge of the shield or it couldn't ricochet, and it can't negate force applied to the back of the shield or Captain America couldn't move it. And it obviously doesn't negate force applied by the shield or he couldn't hurt anyone with it.
Kojiro
Jedi Master

Post by Kojiro »

InsaneTD wrote:Bullets aren't just stopped dead in the movie, the ricochet off, so the shield is doing Bugger all to their energy, might not even do anything to it, the shield thickness and captain's strength being enough.
Actually no. They are stopped dead. Rewatch that scene- the bullets drop to the ground right at Cap's feet.
Dragon Clan Veritech
InsaneTD
Jedi Knight

Post by InsaneTD »

Well that blows my theory out of the water. I hadn't noticed that.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

That's why I said it is silly. Like the comics, the shield is basically magic and does what is needed for that particular scene/panel.

Hot chick pissed off at Cap for flirting? Bullets stop dead.
Red Skull shooting at Cap? Bullets ricochet and kill the henchmen about to get the drop on him from behind.

The only thing the shield has ever done consistently is block fire completely while Cap kneels behind it and come back to Cap's hand, unless impeded.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ford Prefect »

The shield is like Steve Rogers' patriotism made manifest as a physical object. It certainly has properties, but none of them really correspond to the material universe as we understand it.
What is Project Zohar?

Here's to a certain mostly harmless nutcase.
Napoleon the Clown
Jedi Council Member

So the shield is to Captain America as the feather is to Dumbo?
Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ford Prefect »

It is both that and an actual physical object supposedly made out of an actual physical material, though by 'actual physical' I mean 'not real'.

One of the endearing things about fiction is the way in which objects can stand for an represent ideas and those ideas can in turn have effects upon the events within the fiction. The shield represents Rogers' unwavering faith in his particular set of ideals, formulated by reference to his beliefs of what 'America' is. As those beliefs are unshakable, the defence afforded by the shield is impenetrable. This is just a variant of Hav's (quite accurate) 'it just does whatever' thing, but you know.
What is Project Zohar?

Here's to a certain mostly harmless nutcase.
SCRawl
Has a bad feeling about this.

Post by SCRawl »

Oh, I'll give it a shot.

Objects with relatively low energy striking the shield normal to its surface will have all of their energy absorbed by the shield, and then quickly dissipated as heat. Objects striking the shield at an oblique angle to its surface will still have the normal portion of their energy absorbed, but whatever their lateral energy is remains. In other words, if you're standing right in front of the shield and you shoot it right in its centre, the bullet will just deform and fall to the ground. If you're standing at the same spot and aim closer to its edge, it will ricochet with a portion of that energy.

Large impacts to the shield (such as the overhead blow from Thor's hammer) are absorbed and immediately redirected in the direction from which they came. (This is awfully hand-wavy, I know, but I really can't think of something that works well.)

The edges of the shield were heat treated differently from the rest of it, giving them greater hardness. (It's all still one piece of vibranium, but the crystalline structure is different.) So the edges are less able to absorb energy, but are able to deliver blows.

As for delivering a blow with the front of the shield...I've got nothing.
73% of all statistics are made up, including this one.

I'm waiting as fast as I can.
Napoleon the Clown
Jedi Council Member

I dunno, I think I'll just think of it as being a regular old shield and Steve gained more than just physical prowess, he also gained subconscious psychokinetic abilities. Howard Stark (wasn't that who showed him the shield, my memory is fuzzy) was just taking the piss about the shield's abilities. That's how the paint can get fucked up, too. Steve believes that it will be damaged, so it does get damaged. Bucky can catch the shield because Steve subconsciously believes his cyborg arm will allow that. Same with the punch scene. It's also why he can bounce the shield off people with such precision.

As to why Thor's strike with Mjolnir caused the massive shockwave, Steve believed that all the force applied would go somewhere and subconsciously decided that's where it would go. So it went there.

I don't actually believe this is what the writers had in mind, but it's honestly just as good an excuse as anything else.
White Haven
Sith Acolyte

Post by White Haven »

...Captain America is not an Ork.
Chronological Incontinence: Time warps around the poster. The thread topic winks out of existence and reappears in 1d10 posts.

Out of Context Theatre, this week starring Darth Nostril.
-'If you really want to fuck with these idiots tell them that there is a vaccine for chemtrails.'

Fiction!: The Final War (Bolo/Lovecraft) (Ch 7 9/15/11), Living (D&D, Complete)Image
Napoleon the Clown
Jedi Council Member

Of course he isn't! He doesn't reproduce with spores. That would just be silly. He also seems to be a bit brighter than a typical ork.
InsaneTD
Jedi Knight

Post by InsaneTD »

What if they misinterpreted the results they got when first testing the material, and instead of absorbing energy, it reflects/redirects it? A bullet hitting dead centre would stop dead because all it's energy is reflected back at it, where one striking at a off angle would ricochet off with little loss in energy. It's been a while since I've seen the original, does the beam weapons stop or radiate/reflect off?
Grumman
Jedi Council Member

Post by Grumman »

I agree with White Haven. It would be like saying Batman isn't a good detective, he's just a clairvoyant. It undermines the character.
Alkaloid
Jedi Master

Post by Alkaloid »

It's been a while since I've seen the original, does the beam weapons stop or radiate/reflect off?
Starks suit repulsors reflected off it in the Avengers. They seem to deliver a lot of kinetic energy with relatively little heat as well, so bullets presumably do the same.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

OK, how about this. The shield is neutral. What I mean is that it absorbs everything and when Cap deflects a bullet it is Caps arm delivering the energy to do it. So when Cap just stands there like in the scene where the chick shoots at him, the bullet just falls. But when a bullet gets deflected Cap uses his peak strength to kinda flick it the direction he wants. Think of it like him punching the bullet back or in the direction he wants.

Also Cap's shield is usually shown in three separate rings and then the center piece when unpainted. I didn't see anyone say this specifically, but could each ring have a different property?
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)