Stofsk/Chris News [Update 1 Oct 08]

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Mr Flibble
Psychic Penguin

Stofsk/Chris News [Update 1 Oct 08]

Post by Mr Flibble »

Ok This thread is just a general news thread to keep the board updated on Chris/Stofsk's situation. It would probably be best if comments are made in a separate thread, to keep this uncluttered for updates.

The current situation is as follows:

-Chris was found guilty of murder and remanded in custody until sentencing.

-Chris is expecting a sentence between 14-18 years.

-He has just recently been moved prisons (will let you know when I find out where he has moved to exactly). His current prison only allows him to have visits three times a week, and they must be booked in advance.

-His lawyers informed him that they have grounds for appeal, and once sentencing is over Chris will be pursuing that option. Sentencing ust be complete before an appeal is lodged.

-On the financial front this has been very expensive for his family. However if the appeal is successful, the costs of the appeal will be paid by the state. If a retrial is ordered the costs of the original trial will be paid by the state (however he will have to pay for the new one). Overall it is going to leave him and is family in with a large debt despite clearing his name.

-He was on suicide watch after the verdict, but has improved greatly. His Mum credits that with the large numbers of emails you guys sent for him. Please keep them up, even if you just write about trivialities or what is happening in your life it will help to break the boredom, which is what Chris finds the hardest to deal with at the moment. I know that these are much appreciated.

-For those wishing to contribute to his defense fund here is the link.

-Those wishing to send emails to Chris and his family please send them here: supporters_of_chris (at) yahoogroups (dot) com

-Those wishing to join the "Supporters of Chris" group please pm me.

-The plea hearing was held on 27th April. The Judge adjourned it until a date to be advised. Mrs Szitovsky was optimistic with the results of the day.

-Chris' sentencing has been set for the 12th of June.
Last edited by Mr Flibble on 2007-06-11 11:39pm, edited 2 times in total.
StewartG
Redshirt

Post by StewartG »

What sentence did he get? There's been no news in ages. What happened to the big thread that was on this site a few weeks back? Why did it get deleted? I'm just wondering what is going on.
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

StewartG wrote:What sentence did he get? There's been no news in ages. What happened to the big thread that was on this site a few weeks back? Why did it get deleted? I'm just wondering what is going on.
The thread was moved to a private usergroup for safety concerns. The last I heard he was going through an appeal and the judge was annoyed with the prosecution. Perhaps one of the Australian members might be able to say more on it.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Mr Flibble
Psychic Penguin

Post by Mr Flibble »

StewartG wrote:What sentence did he get? There's been no news in ages. What happened to the big thread that was on this site a few weeks back? Why did it get deleted? I'm just wondering what is going on.
The thread got moved to the usergroup out of concerns for Chris' privacy. Chris is still awaiting sentencing, it is taking longer than is usual, we don't know why that is.
Mr Flibble
Psychic Penguin

Post by Mr Flibble »

Sentencing was today, Chris got 18 years, and I think it is 13 years without parole. The numbers are not important however. There are three much more important things about this. Firstly Chris can now finally lodge an appeal. Secondly according to Mrs Szitovsky there was plenty of media representatives present. Finally the best piece of news I have heard since this tragedy started: The Judge in his address stated that he believed Chris is INNOCENT and that the prosecution FAILED to prove the case. Unfortunately it seems under Victorian law there is no provision for him to over rule the jury verdict, so it all hangs on the appeal, however the jugde's explicit support bodes very well for Chris.

Apparently as soon as she left the court the media were asking her if she supported Chris and believed him innocent. I expect something this controversial will have some media coverage so Aussies be on the look out in the news tonight, and newspapers tomorrow.
thejester
Jedi Council Member

Post by thejester »

Will do!
I love the smell of September in the morning. Once we got off at Richmond, walked up to the 'G, and there was no game on. Not one footballer in sight. But that cut grass smell, spring rain...it smelt like victory.

Dynamic. When [Kuznetsov] decided he was going to make a difference, he did it...Like Ovechkin...then you find out - he's with Washington too? You're kidding.
- Ron Wilson
Ubiquitous
Sith Devotee

Post by Ubiquitous »

I don't post very much any more. I just want to voice my absolute horror that a guy can get sent down for so long with no parole when the Judge actually thinks that he is innocent. Was Chris' lawyer really that bad?
"I'm personally against seeing my pictures and statues in the streets - but it's what the people want." - Saparmurat Niyazov
"I'm not good in groups. It's difficult to work in a group when you're omnipotent." - Q
HAB Military Intelligence: Providing sexed-up dodgy dossiers for illegal invasions since 2003.
Ace Pace
Hardware Lover

Post by Ace Pace »

Ubiquitous wrote:I don't post very much any more. I just want to voice my absolute horror that a guy can get sent down for so long with no parole when the Judge actually thinks that he is innocent. Was Chris' lawyer really that bad?
No, the jury was THAT stupid.
Brotherhood of the Bear | HAB | Mess | SDnet archivist |
Duckie
Sith Marauder

Post by Duckie »

Ace Pace wrote: No, the jury was THAT stupid.
Is Australian law like American law, where the Prosecutor gets to pack the jury with simpletons and the easily swayed/prejudiced? If so, how much will a retrial or appeal or whatever it is he's going for (I do not know law that much, even in the US, let alone the Land of Oz) help?

That sounds like good news for Chris regardless but I can't help but think that if one pack of people who can't avoid Jury Duty fuck up the next will too.
The Vortex Empire
Jedi Council Member

Post by The Vortex Empire »

It's sad when a country's legal system allows someone to get 18 years in prison, when the prosecution couldn't even truly prove he was guilty. Best of wishes for Chris's appeal. What a bunch of morons in the jury.
thejester
Jedi Council Member

Post by thejester »

The Age, for what it's worth. Doesn't say that Justice Wheelan (who, incidentally, was a Coodabeen before he was elevated to the bench) outright said he thought Stofsk was not guilty - says he couldn't make a judgement on the motive and hints that he hinted that he thought Chris was innocent. Hard to tell what happened without quotes.

EDIT: News Limited giving a useless summary? Who'd have thought it.
I love the smell of September in the morning. Once we got off at Richmond, walked up to the 'G, and there was no game on. Not one footballer in sight. But that cut grass smell, spring rain...it smelt like victory.

Dynamic. When [Kuznetsov] decided he was going to make a difference, he did it...Like Ovechkin...then you find out - he's with Washington too? You're kidding.
- Ron Wilson
The_Saint
Jedi Knight

Post by The_Saint »

From my short dealings with the courts here in Aus, No the prosecution can't stack the jury (or at least it can't stack it too far one way as jury selection is random and both the prosecution and defence only get limited power of veto on further selection).

An appeal is essentially a retrial where your argument is that the prosecution did a crap job OR a new piece of evidence has been found that if used in the first trial could have changed the outcome. Also there's appealing to a higher court but that's complicated beyond my knowledge.

Everything rides on the jury not the judge, the judge only does the final recap of details to the jury and then chooses the sentence appropriate to whatever crime the jury has found you guilty of (if they do).

I think that answers the couple of questions I saw although I could be wrong, you'd need someone doing a Law degree to make sure it's correct.
All people are equal but some people are more equal than others.
The Vortex Empire
Jedi Council Member

There hasn't been any news in almost 2 months. Has anything new developed?
Ace Pace
Hardware Lover

Post by Ace Pace »

See the rest of the threads posted in this forum.
The Vortex Empire
Jedi Council Member

Ace Pace wrote:See the rest of the threads posted in this forum.
Like what? I just looked through the last 6 pages and searched "Stofsk". There's nothing but this one, and the "Stofsk Defense Fund" thread, which hasn't had an update since March.
Ace Pace
Hardware Lover

Post by Ace Pace »

Oh, my bad, I didn't notice this is offtopic.
Theres a small private usergroup dedicated to this. It's been semi active.
Ubiquitous
Sith Devotee

Post by Ubiquitous »

Is there any news on how he is doing? I am concerned that it has all gone very quiet again! :(
"I'm personally against seeing my pictures and statues in the streets - but it's what the people want." - Saparmurat Niyazov
"I'm not good in groups. It's difficult to work in a group when you're omnipotent." - Q
HAB Military Intelligence: Providing sexed-up dodgy dossiers for illegal invasions since 2003.
Ace Pace
Hardware Lover

Post by Ace Pace »

Ubiquitous wrote:Is there any news on how he is doing? I am concerned that it has all gone very quiet again! :(
I'm in regular contact with Chris, he's doing okay, legally, I don't know whats going on, ask Vympel, but he seems to be holding up fine.
Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

My AIM buddy list shows Stofsk as online right now.

Did something happen that I'm unaware of involving his release, or does someone else have his computer?
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
Aaron
Blackpowder Man

Post by Aaron »

His mother uses it sometimes.
M1891/30: A bad day on the range is better then a good day at work.
Death from the Sea
Sith Devotee

Post by Death from the Sea »

so any word on the appeal?
"War.... it's faaaaaantastic!" <--- Hot Shots:Part Duex
"Psychos don't explode when sunlight hits them, I don't care how fucking crazy they are!"~ Seth from Dusk Till Dawn
|BotM|Justice League's Lethal Protector
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Nothing much is happening at the moment. I encourage everyone to drop Chris a line so he doesn't get lonely, even if he may not write back.
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
Frank Hipper
Overfiend of the Superego

Post by Frank Hipper »

I'm talking to his mom on AIM right now...he's still in bureaucratic limbo, on the list for his appeal to be heard. :(
Life is all the eternity you get, use it wisely.
Tinkerbell
Jedi Master

Post by Tinkerbell »

Maybe I just haven't been around for a while, but is anything new going on with this? Has anyone talked to him? How is he?
Darth Wong wrote:The American "family values" agenda is simple: alter the world so that you can completely ignore your child and still be confident that he is receiving the same kind of Christian upbringing that you would give him if you weren't busy.
Ace Pace
Hardware Lover

Post by Ace Pace »

*bump* Chris's mother reminds you to please send letters. I also have his address on file if you want to send him physical letters.