Type I, II, and III civilizations.

SLAM: debunk creationism, pseudoscience, and superstitions. Discuss logic and morality.

Moderator: Alyrium Denryle

Mr. B
Jedi Knight

Type I, II, and III civilizations.

Post by Mr. B »

Type I Controls the energy resources of an entire planet. This civilisation can control the weather, prevent natural disasters, mine deep into Earth's crust. And has completed exploration of solar system.

Type II A civilization that controls the power of the sun itself. Directly consumes the power ofthe sun to fuek it's machines. Begins colinization of local star systems.

Type III Controls the power of the Entire galaxy. For power they harness the energy of billions of star systems. Has mastered Einsteins equations and can manipulate space time at will.

(From Nikolai Kardashev. taken from the Book by Michio Kaku)

Put your favorite Sci Fi universes in these categories.
Like how Star Wars is a Type III and Star Trek is a type II.
"I got so high last night I figured out how clouds work." - the miracle of marijuana

Legalize It!

Proud Member of the local 404 Professional Cynics Union.

"Every Revolution carries within it the seeds of its own destruction."-Dune
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Post by Admiral Valdemar »

Type III: Culture, Homomdan, Xeelee, Timelords, Systems Commonwealth, Empire, Yuuzhan Vong, NR.

Type II: UFP, Borg, Voth, Klingons, Romulans, Affront, Chelgrians.

Type I: Sod only knows, us?
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

I really think people over estimate the Time lords, they only control one planet, Gallifray. At one stage the Daleks had Tardis technology...
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Mr. B
Jedi Knight

Post by Mr. B »

We are a Type 0. Sorry to say.
"I got so high last night I figured out how clouds work." - the miracle of marijuana

Legalize It!

Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Post by Admiral Valdemar »

NecronLord wrote:I really think people over estimate the Time lords, they only control one planet, Gallifray. At one stage the Daleks had Tardis technology...
But when you have the ability to control space-time like they can, who needs more planets? Think of them as the real police of space-time, not those gay 29th C Feds.
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

True, though they don't actually do much, their non interference policy makes the prime directive look like an incitement to riot.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Solid Snake
Jedi Council Member

Post by Solid Snake »

Hyperspace was an amazing book. How long do you think it will take for us to reach type I?
US Army Infantry: Follow Me!

Heavy Armor Brigade
Enlightenment
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Enlightenment »

Admiral Valdemar wrote: Type II: UFP
Calling the UFP and the rest of the Trek races type IIs is really pushing it. I did some energy calcs based on the semi-canon fuel requirements for the GCS and the results put the UFP well below the lower limit for a type II civilization. Since the UFP comes within an order of magnitude of all Trek races (with the exception of Q and the Voth), it's reasonable to assume that the rest of the Trek species are stuck at the type I level, too.

Here's a collection of estimates from the last time this came up on SB:

Galactic Empire II-8 / III
Total Anihilation III
Systems Commonwealth II-3
Culture V
Excession VI
United Federation of Planets I-4
Dominion I-5
Borg I-5
Klingons I-3
Romulan Empire I-3
Minbari Federation I-4
Interstellar Alliance I-5
Centauri Empire I-4
Earth Alliance I-3
Narn Republic I-4
Moving Mars VI
Species 8472 II-4+?
Krenim V
Xeelee V
29th century UFP V
Thirdspace aliens IV

NNote that this list is drawn up using the Kardashev-Sagan type scale with additions made for civilizations able to control an entire universe (IV), modify spacetime in a nonlinear fashion (V; think effectors, etc) and alter physical law (VI).
It's not my place in life to make people happy. Don't talk to me unless you're prepared to watch me slaughter cows you hold sacred. Don't talk to me unless you're prepared to have your basic assumptions challenged. If you want bunnies in light, talk to someone else.
David
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Type I, II, and III civilizations.

Post by David »

Mr. B wrote:Type I Controls the energy resources of an entire planet. This civilisation can control the weather, prevent natural disasters, mine deep into Earth's crust. And has completed exploration of solar system.

Type II A civilization that controls the power of the sun itself. Directly consumes the power ofthe sun to fuek it's machines. Begins colinization of local star systems.

Type III Controls the power of the Entire galaxy. For power they harness the energy of billions of star systems. Has mastered Einsteins equations and can manipulate space time at will.

(From Nikolai Kardashev. taken from the Book by Michio Kaku)

Put your favorite Sci Fi universes in these categories.
Like how Star Wars is a Type III and Star Trek is a type II.

No intermediates between 2 and 3? Take for example the aliens of Space: Above and Beyond, they were somewhere in between.
Mr. B
Jedi Knight

Post by Mr. B »

SolidSnake wrote: Hyperspace was an amazing book. How long do you think it will take for us to reach type I?
IF we reach type two. We still might kill ourselves off.

Legalize It!

Ladysekhmet
Redshirt

Post by Ladysekhmet »

I'm surprised that no one mentioned the Vorlons or the Shadows in with type III. The Timelords start out pretty menacing, but got wussier as the series progressed. I do think they are type 3 though, since the original question was in regards to technology and not military might.
"I'm clone!! I am attacking you!!"
Enlightenment
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Enlightenment »

Ladysekhmet wrote:I'm surprised that no one mentioned the Vorlons or the Shadows in with type III.
The only way the S&V come anywhere near type III is if their planet killers are able to vaporize or completely dissassociate planets. Without the planet killers both civilizations haven't shown enough power to rank any higher than type II _at most._

The B5 EU changes this a bit given that the S&V are, according to a Fiver on SB, able to create and destroy 'small universes.' However this just is so far out to lunch given S&V abilities demonstrated on air that I'm inclined to write off the B5 EU as a fscked up pile of crap and leave it at that.
It's not my place in life to make people happy. Don't talk to me unless you're prepared to watch me slaughter cows you hold sacred. Don't talk to me unless you're prepared to have your basic assumptions challenged. If you want bunnies in light, talk to someone else.
Gil Hamilton
Tipsy Space Birdie

Post by Gil Hamilton »

To be honest, I'd classify the Galactic Empire as a Type II Civilization. I mean, they harness the power of suns certainly, but they aren't the galaxy controlling force that Kardashev envisioned. Type III Civilizations are like the Culture and the retired/transcended races in the Uplift books by David Brin. I mean, seriously powerful to the point of rediculousness.
Gil Hamilton
Tipsy Space Birdie

Post by Gil Hamilton »

Enlightenment wrote:The only way the S&V come anywhere near type III is if their planet killers are able to vaporize or completely dissassociate planets. Without the planet killers both civilizations haven't shown enough power to rank any higher than type II _at most._

The B5 EU changes this a bit given that the S&V are, according to a Fiver on SB, able to create and destroy 'small universes.' However this just is so far out to lunch given S&V abilities demonstrated on air that I'm inclined to write off the B5 EU as a fscked up pile of crap and leave it at that.
Also, they get alot of their uber-powerful visions of the First Ones from novels and such, where the FOs are that insanely powerful. Going purely on the TV series I agree with you, though the Vorlons always seemed to bit more powerful than the Shadows simply because they were that much more mysterious.
Mr. B
Jedi Knight

Post by Mr. B »

Gil Hamilton wrote: To be honest, I'd classify the Galactic Empire as a Type II Civilization. I mean, they harness the power of suns certainly, but they aren't the galaxy controlling force that Kardashev envisioned. Type III Civilizations are like the Culture and the retired/transcended races in the Uplift books by David Brin. I mean, seriously powerful to the point of rediculousness.
But the ranking is based on what is used for energy/power. SD and the DS use power that is more powerful than hundreds of stars, especially the DS.
And they have the ability to travel the galaxy in a week or two, destroy planets and whole systems, and have attempted to search beyond the galaxy.

Legalize It!

ArmorPierce
Rabid Monkey
Location: Born and raised in Brooklyn, unfornately presently in Jersey

Post by ArmorPierce »

Admiral Valdemar wrote:Type I: Sod only knows, us?
We are not a type I civilization yet. The Confedracy from StarCraft might fit into there bordering on the edge type II.
Brotherhood of the Monkey @( !.! )@
To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift. ~Steve Prefontaine
Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at an Elingsh uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht frist and lsat ltteer are in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae we do not raed ervey lteter by it slef but the wrod as a wlohe.
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Post by Master of Ossus »

I don't think that the UFP, Borg, or any ST races are to be considered Type II. Remember how surprised all of the Enterprise-D's crew was when they discovered a Dayson sphere?

BTW, they might not even be Type I. I have not seen them control the weather over the whole of earth, before.
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

Latinum Star Recipient; Hacker's Cross Award Winner

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away."
ArmorPierce
Rabid Monkey
Location: Born and raised in Brooklyn, unfornately presently in Jersey

Post by ArmorPierce »

Master of Ossus wrote:BTW, they might not even be Type I. I have not seen them control the weather over the whole of earth, before.
Yes they are definitely a type I because they are able to contol the weather over the whole Earth. They Might be or border on the edge of a type II civilization because of the space they colonized.
Brotherhood of the Monkey @( !.! )@
To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift. ~Steve Prefontaine
Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at an Elingsh uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht frist and lsat ltteer are in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae we do not raed ervey lteter by it slef but the wrod as a wlohe.
Solid Snake
Jedi Council Member

Post by Solid Snake »

In the actual book, Hyperspace, Mr. Kaku described the United Federation of planets as a type II civilization. But in a show, i cant remember the title, he described the Galactic Empire as type III! Bwahahahahaha! Trekkies have no escape from the wrath of the Warsies! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
US Army Infantry: Follow Me!

Heavy Armor Brigade
Mr. B
Jedi Knight

Post by Mr. B »

SolidSnake wrote: In the actual book, Hyperspace, Mr. Kaku described the United Federation of planets as a type II civilization. But in a show, i cant remember the title, he described the Galactic Empire as type III! Bwahahahahaha! Trekkies have no escape from the wrath of the Warsies! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Yes I had forgotten that. And i wonder what rabid trekkies have to think about that. They probably consider ST to be a type III.

Legalize It!