Fanfiction.net: the good bits

UF: Stories written by users, both fanfics and original.

Moderator: LadyTevar

Agent Sorchus
Jedi Master

Re: Fanfiction.net: the good bits

Post by Agent Sorchus »

Todeswind wrote:And none of that even touches on the absurd psychic abilities present in virtually all races except the TAU and Necrons that can range in form and function anywhere from "move a penny across a table" to "total global holocaust because I'm pissed the fuck off." The magics employed by the Empire have been used to do things as absurd as hide planets in alternate dimensions to allow armies of sorcerer space marines to learn the proper way to combat Deamons in privacy
Add Dark Eldar to the list of effectively no psykers, though they have more magitek than most their psykic abilities are now relegated to feeding off of the pain of their victims.

And yes The Open Door really started to sag when the daemon was left on Forgotten Realms, nothing can make me really care about him and his ridiculous matter of conquest. And that went on and on and on. And besides that there were several sections that could have been read as TL;DR author fiat kills people he doesn't like. IE the whole accidental impact with the draka, and no I know that Draka fics are common, but it was essentially an added scene that stroked the authors favorites list. And on and on. Mostly that is because it was simple ol' fanfiction, and hell it was decently entertaining at that, but I wouldn't really recommend reading through it again or recommend it to others. The Re-read it is just not so good (and this is after getting into a lot of the stuff that tOD had in it's crossovers, what it did well was act as a gateway to all sorts of good and entertaining things*), but his other works are good.

(Note that the Killfrenzy that the expy's used wasn't built by them, but rather was stolen from normal Chaos, which was an more interesting story that didn't go anywhere.)

* Disclaimer: I never read Thousand Shinji and I rather much despise EVA. But stuff like MLGN is really good, yet I can't say that the part of the Universe that tOD uses is even close to the best even if it is the easiest way to crossover. In otherwords screw Strykers and I give A's only the barest of passes (the finale just can jump off a cliff along with everyone who thought that revealing the girls secrets to their friends and family in a clip show was a good idea.)
the engines cannae take any more cap'n
warp 9 to shroomland ~Dalton
StrikaAmaru
Youngling

Post by StrikaAmaru »

1) Harry Potter and the Nightmares of Future Past (ongoing, 38 chapters and barely reached year 3; nearly 400k words; fair warning, them chapters are long) A fanfic which was started before Book 7, and as such discounts it. I got the link off the infamous Tv Tropes, where it was recommended as an example of a Peggy Sue fic, done right; meaning that the time travel did NOT magically solve all problems, in fact so far it seems to have resulted in more harm than good, or at best a premature escalation on both sides. It also delights in hammering home that War is Hell. The name is an admitted reference to the X-Men storyline.

2) Sleeping With the Girls (part I is completed, part II is ongoing) by Admiral Tigerclaw, whom some may know from SpaceBattles. A self-admitted deconstruction of self-inserts, started by a very RAR-looking thread on SB. The thread asked "What would you do if you'd suddenly wake up in bed with one of you favorite characters?". The premise of the fic is that an unnamed protagonist goes Universe-hopping every time he dozes off, and each time ends up in the bed of one of his favorite anime and manga female characters, somewhere around 4 AM. The answer? Try not to die.
Ugolino wrote:It still doesn't make the protagonists likable, and ruins what should be a very good story. 40k is generally capable of taking down equivalent forces from other universes, especially with their advantages, but there still seemed to be author favoritism. Why not throw a more balanced enemy at them, have them suffer genuine setbacks, or even make the C'tan seem to be a genuine threat, seeing as it's their justification for being assholes to the multiverse and getting away with it?
You may or may not enjoy (3) Yaculus' The Doorstop; this fic diverges somewhere in Thousand Shinji, wherein the four Chaos Gods decide to screw over our four godlings, and be reborn; two of them already have, not that they wish to advertise. Ongoing (though it hasn't updated from February), 200K words so far. It focuses more on the opposition, TSAB getting a good half of the limelight. It retcons some events, most notably the Cylon/Stiletto altercation, which goes much worse for the Stiletto; nukes are nothing to laugh at, after all. I say you may not enjoy it, because the Doorstop definitely doesn't make the protagonists likable.
[WAY LATER EDIT] Have to drop the recommendation level down a notch; when I first read it, it was very interesting, but I tried re-reading it a bit and found it boring as Hell; this is not usually a good sign.
Last edited by StrikaAmaru on 2011-05-16 03:19am, edited 1 time in total.
(youtube) Hate mail with Dawkins. American slurs + British accent = brain-breaking hilarity.
Think "I", therefore I am.
(from a dream of mine)
----
My name is Elizabeth; I use StrikaAmaru as handler, since it's impossible to log in just about anywhere with my name.
Ugolino
Youngling

Post by Ugolino »

Thanks for the suggestion; it addresses most of the issues I had with the Open Door while maintaining the quality and avoiding becoming a hate-fic.
Karen Traviss IS a Kaminoan!
Gerald Tarrant
Jedi Knight

Post by Gerald Tarrant »

Its an Odd coincidence X-Men/Lord of the Rings crossover Wolverine finds himself dropped into Aragorn's camp right before he meets the hobbits at Bree, the linguistic misunderstandings are amusing, and Logan gets a shock when he mistakes Gandalf for Magneto.
The rain it falls on all alike
Upon the just and unjust fella'
But more upon the just one for
The Unjust hath the Just's Umbrella
Alien-Carrot
Youngling

Post by Alien-Carrot »

Poison Pen

Also a test to see if i enbedded this url correctly.
2.2E32 joules of planet shattering kaboom
Darth Yoshi
Metroid

Post by Darth Yoshi »

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/1874283/1/Divergence
A Chrono Trigger fic starring Lucca, in which she inadvertently prevents the party from ever meeting in the first place. So before the new timeline completely rewrites her memories, Lucca has to fix things. It's a well-written WIP, and Lucca's frustration and desperation over her slipping memories is pretty believable.
Fragment of the Lord of Nightmares, release thy heavenly retribution. Blade of cold, black nothingness: become my power, become my body. Together, let us walk the path of destruction and smash even the souls of the Gods! RAGNA BLADE!
Lore Monkey | the Pichu-master™
Secularism—since AD 80
Av: Elika; Prince of Persia
Alan Bolte
Sith Devotee

Post by Alan Bolte »

After a three month hiatus, Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality is updating on a regular schedule.
Any job worth doing with a laser is worth doing with many, many lasers. -Khrima
There's just no arguing with some people once they've made their minds up about something, and I accept that. That's why I kill them. -Othar
Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Post by Ahriman238 »

The Strange Disappearance of Sally-Anne Perks Harry Potter COMPLETE!

In the first book, Sally-Anne Perks is sorted into Hufflepuff immediatly ahead of Harry's own sorting. This girl is never once mentioned again in the series. Watch Harry investigate Sally's disappearance, the cover-up and why no one but him remembers the girl in pigtails.

Hey, I made the dressing work!

Where in the World is Harry Potter and sequels the Untitled Cheekquel Project and You Did What!
Harry learned to be an amazing, godlike uber-wizard and turned Voldemort into a red smear off-screen. Great. Except now the world is stuck with an easily bored godlike uber-wizard who just wants a few laughs and the childhood he never had. SEE: a man give birth to a puppy, Severus Snape smiling, the beginning of the Cult of Potter, A phoenix-egg blessed by a dementor omlet, Dudley Dursley in a Wizard's Duel, the Planet of the House-Elves, Draco Malfoy buy a young boy dinner, and Minerva Mcgonagall as the Pied Piper of Manhattan. LEARN: Why Nicholas Flamel loves the Princess Bride, how Dobby became Harry's apprentice in Cheek, Things Man Was Not Meant To Know, why Hermione needs a better warranty for her computer, that Harry's mom was a cow animagus, how the Weasley's became poor, and why the Hufflepuff Common Room has padded walls. MEET: Snape's other "magic wand," an adorable kitten animagus, Nicholas Flamel, a House-Elf named Dubya, and a dementor named Bob.
Madness. Glorious Madness.

From the same author two more offerings: A Black Comedy
Harry, as an adult wizard, takes a header into the veil and ends up where Sirius went, a strange alternate dimension where Voldermort is still around, the Potters are still alive (and James Potter is kind of an asshole) and Tonks is Lupin's adopted daughter. Clearly there is only one thing to do. Burglarize the houses of every Death Eater, and go on wild drunken orgies the envy of bachelors everywhere. And play the obliviate game. It gets a little tricky, because people keep forgetting the rules.

and not Harry Potter this time: The Incredibly Dense Mind of Lois Lane Superman, complete.
Superman, but drawing a fair bit on Smallville,with a two or three chapter Spiderman cameo towards the end. Tired of Lois' endless teasing and brushing off Clark Kent for Superman, Clark decides to reveal his identity. But he doesn't want to tell her outright, he wants to leave her enough clues to figure it out herself. Easy right? All he has to do is be a little less careful with the secret identity. Unfortunatly, as you night get from the title, things don't really go to plan.
"Any plan which requires the direct intervention of any deity to work can be assumed to be a very poor one."- Newbiespud
Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Post by Ahriman238 »

Oh, can't forget the Misfits
Easily my favorite piece of 40K fanfiction out there. Very good length, takes it's time to build suspense and atmosphere. Follws an Aspirant and his two friends, to an original chapter, the Storm Ravens, and their training and trials, their first battles and their first sinister conspiracy. Really, really good.
"Any plan which requires the direct intervention of any deity to work can be assumed to be a very poor one."- Newbiespud
Grimnosh
Youngling

Post by Grimnosh »

Ahriman238 wrote:Oh, can't forget the Misfits
Easily my favorite piece of 40K fanfiction out there. Very good length, takes it's time to build suspense and atmosphere. Follws an Aspirant and his two friends, to an original chapter, the Storm Ravens, and their training and trials, their first battles and their first sinister conspiracy. Really, really good.
I'm currently reading this, and I agree its really good.
You know, its remarkably easy to feed an undead army if all you have are just enemies....
Night_stalker
Retarded Spambot

Post by Night_stalker »

It says something when a fan-created story is BETTER than some Black Library novels, at least that's my opinion.

Have to recommend Semper Victoria,http://www.fanfiction.net/s/6375554/1/Semper_Victoria, and it's sequel Semper Furor http://www.fanfiction.net/s/6522145/1/Semper_Furor.

They're unofficial sequels to the James Cameron blockbuster Avatar, only they don't bash either side. They try to show both sides as human, with flaws. To quote the summary of Victoria,
A story where Pandora is not an Eden, and the shades of white and black have been washed into a sea of gray.
If Dr. Gatling was a nerd, then his most famous invention is the fucking Revenge of the Nerd, writ large...

"Lawful stupid is the paladin that charges into hell because he knows there's evil there."
—anonymous

"Although you may win the occasional battle against us, Vorrik, the Empire will always strike back."
Dessel_Ordo
Redshirt

Post by Dessel_Ordo »

(Edit: well, now I feel foolish, I found the story in the cleaned up/completed section, haha) As where its posted there ends when Killfrenzy got introduced... That aside, yea the Forgotten Realms bit did sag a little bit, especially in the underdark bits, though the "daddy, this is my husband the eldritch horror, and our daughter" moment should be enough to balance that out, I hope.

That aside I've found some other decent ones.

Alchemy of the Soul
FMA Brotherhood/Soul Eater crossover. Slow updating, but entertaining enough. The basic plot is that Ed gets dumped into the Soul Eater world about halfish way through Brotherhood and has to deal/help save the world.

The Package
sex jokes aside, its a decent fic crossing Black Lagoon (who managed to survive 2nd impact) and have to get Shinji from Thailand to Tokyo 3. they pass through Roanapur of course,so its quite interesting. Again slow/barely there updates, but amusing.

Black Magic Lagoon
Utter madness. Harry Potter/Black Lagoon, assuming that Harry got sold off to the seedier elements of society as a baby, and by the time he would have been taken to Hogwarts has already been a child assassin for a while, though he was saved by the Lagoon Company a while before that. On top of that, Revvy is the same age, even more fucked up, and will be attending Hogwarts as well. Well done, violent, and updates regularly.

Whom She Found
Fire Emblem/Ocrina of Time. The timetravel magic that has Link hopping around time like a cracked up rabit goes awry, and he ends up meeting Lyndis at the point beginning of that particular Fire Emblem game. Link is a bit op'ed, but that aside its well done, believable, and nearly done with the first story arc of that Fire Emblem game. (I cant keep the names/numbers of those games straight, so I'm not gonna try here)
Sanity is very much like pants. You arent born with it, its given to you because its socially acceptable, you are raised with it so that you feel wrong without it. You dont need it, in fact you are at your happiest when you dont have any. I'm not crazy, I've simply taken my pants off.
Sinanju
Youngling

Post by Sinanju »

Ehhh, I dunno about Black Magic Lagoon. It reads like it was written by a 13-year-old who just discovered he can curse on the Internet without consequences.
Had it been fancy Harry likely would have shoved it back into that fuckin' toothy grin, fancy shit tasted just like shit and didn't even have anything to it, Harry was more interested in the crate of rum that actually fuckin' levitated in after the man, Harry was just fuckin' impressed with the levitating crate of rum, the fact that he kept his footing and placed the tray of food on a rickety table when Revy suddenly exited the bathroom after having just had a shower and was completely fuckin' naked.
...what. Oh, and that was all one sentence too.
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

Growth of a SEED is an amazing SW/Gundam SEED crossover. It's the one I based my story Jedi Gundam(FF.net)/Return of the Exiles (here and Force.net) off of. Though fair warning, if you are of the camp where SW just waltzes over anything in its way you won't like it. This is a crossover where both sides are more or less even on weapons, with Mobile Suits having slight advantages over TIEs. Here's the link (still new here, so sorry if it doesn't work). http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4951973/1/Growth_of_a_Seed. Sadly it hasn't been updated in a long time, hence why I am doing my own version.
SDNW5: Republic of Arcadia...Sweden in SPAAACE
Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Post by Ahriman238 »

Night_stalker wrote:Have to recommend Semper Victoria,http://www.fanfiction.net/s/6375554/1/Semper_Victoria, and it's sequel Semper Furor http://www.fanfiction.net/s/6522145/1/Semper_Furor.

They're unofficial sequels to the James Cameron blockbuster Avatar, only they don't bash either side. They try to show both sides as human, with flaws. To quote the summary of Victoria,
A story where Pandora is not an Eden, and the shades of white and black have been washed into a sea of gray.
I'm reading that now, since I saw your recommendation, and I have to second that. I'm about half way through Semper Furor.

For everyone here who complained about Skysaber/Perfect Lionheart's Chunin Exam Day, I give you Time Braid: The story Chunin Exam Day should have been, thoughtful, exciting, and epic. The fate of the world. There is one catch, it's the story of a time-looping Sakura, not Naruto (though there's a looping Naruto as well) which really just means she has to go through a lot of painful character growth. There is still abundant Sasuke-bashing, but in this story Sasuke is an evil little bastard who does his best to throughly deserve it. If you like Naruto, give it a shot.
lord Martiya
Jedi Master

Post by lord Martiya »

A Babylon 5 fanfiction from Lord of Misrule: A Fighting Chance. We all know how the Earth-Minbari War went. But in this alternate universe an unexpected ally gave Earth a fighting chance: a way to beat the Minbari stealth.
SAMAS
Mecha Fanboy

Post by SAMAS »

Ugolino wrote:That doesn't meant they can't take losses or have on-screen setbacks. A colony of dead babies doesn't count. If they can build something like the Killfrenzy, they can lose ships without being crippled. As it is, what started off as a great story started to drag because there's no tension? Boarding party? Our Alleged Heroes carve through them without breaking a sweat or taking any losses. Never mind the fact that canon 40k would take at least a few casualties in that situation.

Come on, that's what ships have redshirts for! To take casualties and add to the drama.
I looked at it another way:

The story is not about NewChaos, but rather Kyon, SG-1, the TSAB, the Rag-Tag Fleet, and everybody else caught in the way of NewChaos' games, growth and grabbing, interspersed with the occasional lower deck episode about individual NewChaos members. They're the best people to look to if you need "(how)Will they get out of this?"-style drama.

But to contribute, I nominate The Deva Series by Daishi Prime (MGLN):

On the Path of Vengeance -- AU. A criminal with a reputation for slaughtering entire battleships returns to TSAB space, looking for his final vengeance. Too bad our heroines are in his way.
Academy Blues -- About a year later, Hayate finishes her tour of duty with the TSAB and decides to open a magic school on Earth, selecting some of the best and brightest kids she finds from all over the world. Unfortunately, somebody seems to be taking offense with her teaching methods. (Good story but loads of OCs.)
Endless Waltz -- An ancient threat is accidentally released because of the events of the previous story, and the entire planet is in for a crash course in magic warfare.
Side Stories -- A series of short stories from the time period of Academy Blues (and a few set during Endless Waltz), fleshing out moments only hinted at in the previous stories.
Not an armored Jigglypuff

"I salute your genetic superiority, now Get off my planet!!" -- Adam Stiener, 1st Somerset Strikers
Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Post by Ahriman238 »

On a bit of a naruto kick right now, anime/manga isn't usually my thing but there's something so entertaining about a hundred orange lunatics...

Nine Broken Mirrors and Lucidity. two VERY different stories with a broadly similiar premise: to survive the Akatsuki, Naruto must wander the elemental countries and unite the jinnchuriki into a cohesive group.

People Lie by Nugar, The tailed beasts aren't what you think, aren't giant monsters that level cities, they are Yom-Sohoth, Hastur, Cthulu and worse. Naruto as a scheming, manipulative bastard, influencing others to be like him. Quite dark, but mostly in a funny way. Seriously, it's hilarious. and Ask me no questions.. From "believe it!" to "believe me!" through the machinations of the snake god Orochimaru, Team Lie (plus Neji and Sakura) trade lives with their canon counterparts.

Spying no Jutsu! Naruto must infiltrate, as a woman a hot springs festival to spy on two Kage-level nija. and sequel Biggest Chunin Exam Ever is worth a look.
Agent Sorchus
Jedi Master

Post by Agent Sorchus »

SAMAS wrote:I looked at it another way:

The story is not about NewChaos, but rather Kyon, SG-1, the TSAB, the Rag-Tag Fleet, and everybody else caught in the way of NewChaos' games, growth and grabbing, interspersed with the occasional lower deck episode about individual NewChaos members. They're the best people to look to if you need "(how)Will they get out of this?"-style drama.
I hate coming back to this as a neigh sayer, since I found it reasonably fun at first, but the problem with this interpretation is the focus was on New Chaos rather then the events they catalyze. And it fits into a thousand shinji with Newchaos being the heroes, let alone the draka die just because they're dicks and less words were used in that then any one scene in Forgotten Realms.

Hell lets look at it another way, Skald after meeting just a lesser daemon of chaos physically becomes more hot and sexy. What is one of the first traits of Mary Suedom that is easily recognizable? Yeah ridiculous relationships where hooking up with the 'Sue makes the other characters more awesome.

Not good writing at all really.
the engines cannae take any more cap'n
warp 9 to shroomland ~Dalton
darthdavid
Pathetic Attention Whore

Post by darthdavid »

Agent Sorchus wrote:
SAMAS wrote:I looked at it another way:

I hate coming back to this as a neigh sayer, since I found it reasonably fun at first, but the problem with this interpretation is the focus was on New Chaos rather then the events they catalyze. And it fits into a thousand shinji with Newchaos being the heroes, let alone the draka die just because they're dicks and less words were used in that then any one scene in Forgotten Realms.

Hell lets look at it another way, Skald after meeting just a lesser daemon of chaos physically becomes more hot and sexy. What is one of the first traits of Mary Suedom that is easily recognizable? Yeah ridiculous relationships where hooking up with the 'Sue makes the other characters more awesome.

Not good writing at all really.
*Naysayer
*Names must be capitalized
*Skuld
Edit:
On topic: The re-written Five Kingdoms for the Dead a Sakura-centric fic where she starts taking her development as a ninja seriously earlier than she did in canon.
Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Post by Ahriman238 »

I humbly recommend most of the works of the author known to me as Disobediancewriter. Begining with the hilarious Bad Week at the Wizengamot to the clever Harry Potter, Wizarding Barrister. One Albus Dumbledore would like to take a minute and remind you that everything has its cost, while you may want to see the Triwizard Tournament done right- er, somewhat less stupidly in the Trischool Tournament.

See Voldemort be intelligent, and Harry rather ruthless in Guerilla Potter or go for some more humor in Africa, of all places the Horror!

Interview with the Slytherin CHilde, Time to Fix the MIstakes, there's only a couple of his works not worth checking out. Even the Odd Ideas file abounds with devious ideas.

He even has a couple really good Naruto fics, Naruto's Compensation, the Unforgiving, the Butterfly's WIngs. Give him a look.

Also, not by the above, What would Slytherin Harry do? A hilarious look at a world where Harry Potter is a master manipulator.
Darkrah
Redshirt

Post by Darkrah »

Hi new here but I have a couple of recs... First anything by esama... although she tends to abandon her stuff... http://www.fanfiction.net/u/1137344/esama
Secondly Embers by Vathera http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5398503/1/Embers
Dragon's fire is not so easily extinguished; when Zuko rediscovers a lost firebending technique, shifting flames can shift the world... Follows "Theft Absolute".
Their work has improved a lot since Urban Legends
Also although its not on fanfiction.net there is dmdomini's "The Day Benden Went to War"
http://archiveofourown.org/works/273190/chapters/432391
The lost colony of Pern is rediscovered by the FT&T and the Nine Star League. Pern/Talent universe crossover. Note: This is the UPDATED version, and contains SUBSTANTIAL rewrites, including new scenes.
While the first version was very good this version is just even better. :mrgreen:
Mayabird
Storytime!

Post by Mayabird »

I turned this into a sticky thread.

It seemed like a good idea.
DPDarkPrimus is my boyfriend!

SDNW4 Nation: The Refuge And, on Nova Terra, Al-Stan the Totally and Completely Honest and Legitimate Weapons Dealer and Used Starship Salesman slept on a bed made of money, with a blaster under his pillow and his sombrero pulled over his face. This is to say, he slept very well indeed.
Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Post by Ahriman238 »

Mayabird wrote:I turned this into a sticky thread.

It seemed like a good idea.
And it is.

Harry Potter story: Concentric Wavelengths, Harry and his friends burst into the Department of Mysteries to rescue his godfather. Instead they catch the tail end of a massive running battle between the Death Eaters and... some terrible unseen thing let loose in the Department. Unable to escape the lockdown triggered around the time IT was released, Harry must hop back in time to figure out what the hell is going on and how to stack the deck in his friend's favor.

I just loved the time travel mystery, where every hop a bit back gives Harry (and you) a bit more understanding of what happened, a few clues, a scene from earlier form a different POV, until the final piece falls into place. The ending was a bit of a letdown after all that buildup, but it'd be hard not to be. Strong story.

Hiraishin World Tour: A Naruto fic. Wherein Naruto learns the legendary teleportation technique of the Yondaime. Pity he never learned to control just where he teleports to. This one is just funny.
Dessel_Ordo
Redshirt

Post by Dessel_Ordo »

A few more I have found after going on a bit of a Gunslinger Girl kick

GSG Great Escape
Set just after season two of the anime, and throwing out the manga past that point. Quite a few gramatical errors, but it stays more or less true to the spirit of the show. Of course its still a fic about the cyborgs going off the farm and aiming for revenge, but its fun, and updates with decent regularity. (now that I said that it'll probably die, my praise seems to be a curse of some sort)

Cosca
The premise is that the SWA has more cyborgs than they do handlers, and decide to have Triella take a set of twin cyborgs they just finished under her wing. A bit odd as far as premises go, but fun, and well done imho.

One Hell of a Ruckus
Gunslinger Girl, crossed with Black lagoon and Baccano. It follows the Baccano style of one incredibly fucked up event explained in incredible detail, and not only does it involve a decent amount of the Baccano characters, but all of the most loveable degenerates from Black Lagoons take on Roanapur. Of course it starts by explaining how all of hte cyborgs save the only live one died in the meanest ways possible for them, and its dead and unfinished, but whats there is a fun read.

Alternate Rewards
Gunslinger Girl fluff, but its amusing enough, and decently funny.

Gunslinger Girl: The First Priority
Sadly jsut an intro, but funny and believable enough. A shame that it never got off the ground, as it shows promise.

And heres what came of me going on an Eva kick before the GSG kick I'm coming down off of, haha.

Eva: Speak with Dead
Supposed to be a rewrite where Shinji was raised by the Hellsing organization, but it died shortly after teh introductory/setup chapters. Still fun enough, all things considered.

Neon Genesis Evangelion: Empathy
Not sure if it has been recommended yet, but I think its one of the better Eva rewrites, and deserves it again if it has been. The premise is a tried one: shinji has a spine and understands others... but its done well enough for that to be something easily looked over. Nearly complete, and not looking like its gonna die any time soon.

Neon Genesis Evangelion: Red Moon Rising
A strange premise witha somewhat superpowered Shinji. It gets more than a bit... strange, towards teh end when things go to hell as Eva fics are want to do. Still amusing to read, despite the intense Asuka/Misato bashing at the end.
Sanity is very much like pants. You arent born with it, its given to you because its socially acceptable, you are raised with it so that you feel wrong without it. You dont need it, in fact you are at your happiest when you dont have any. I'm not crazy, I've simply taken my pants off.