Rogues' Gallery, Star Wars/nBSG Updated 8/23/2011

UF: Stories written by users, both fanfics and original.

Moderator: LadyTevar

DrMckay
Jedi Master

Rogues' Gallery, Star Wars/nBSG Updated 8/23/2011

Post by DrMckay »

A Post-honeymoon vacation takes an odd turn for ace pilot Wedge Antilles, his new wife Iella, and their friends as they end up adrift somewhere in the Unknown Regions, pursued by genocidal robots and mistrusted by their Human creators. nBSG Crossover.

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4719734/1/Rogues_Gallery

First chapter of my first fic involving Star Wars is up. Let me know what you think, and if you have any ideas or concerns about the story.

Thank you
Last edited by DrMckay on 2011-08-23 04:37am, edited 10 times in total.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Guard your honor. Let your reputation fall where it will. And outlive the bastards."
~Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
AO3 Link | FFN Link
Kartr_Kana
Jedi Knight

Re: New Story: Rogue's Gallery, a Star Wars nBSG crossover

Post by Kartr_Kana »

Definitely has potential can't wait to see where you go with it. Maybe a little Wes/Thrace action :D

"Our Country won't go on forever, if we stay soft as we are now. There won't be any AMERICA because some foreign soldier will invade us and take our women and breed a hardier race!"
LT. GEN. LEWIS "CHESTY" PULLER, USMC
DrMckay
Jedi Master

Re: New Story: Rogues' Gallery, a Star Wars nBSG crossover

Post by DrMckay »

Chapter 2 up.

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4719734/2/

Feedback would be appreciated, as this is my first Star Wars fic, and I'd like to know if i got the characters right.

Thank you.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Guard your honor. Let your reputation fall where it will. And outlive the bastards."
AO3 Link | FFN Link
Kartr_Kana
Jedi Knight

Post by Kartr_Kana »

I like the way you're writing the characters so far. It's been a long while since I've read any of the X-Wing series, but Wedge and Co. seem spot on and so far Kara's been good too.

Personally I think you're cutting the chapters to small, ending it with
"Adama’s voice came over the line. "General Antilles, this is Commander Adama, of the Colonial Fleet Battlestar Galactica. I am transmitting a coded frequency to your vessel. Please switch to it."
and not having at least a brief dialog giving them instructions to "land in the port hanger" or "loiter over here" anything really is very jarring. It's like the TV antenna went out in the middle of a sentence. I wouldn't mind waiting an extra day or week for an update if there's more material and it doesn't cut off like that.

All in all though I'm looking forward to your next update!

"Our Country won't go on forever, if we stay soft as we are now. There won't be any AMERICA because some foreign soldier will invade us and take our women and breed a hardier race!"
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

DrMckay wrote:Chapter 2 up.

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4719734/2/

Feedback would be appreciated, as this is my first Star Wars fic, and I'd like to know if i got the characters right.

Thank you.
Pretty good so far, few tech points.

1. SW Hyperspace drive would make Galatica techs drool. Having that fried per PLOT is already taken care of.
2. Depending on how the shuttle is configured your going to have everything from hyperwave sensors(Real-Time of an entire star system while BSG is stuck with radar) to standard subspace sensors which while not able to see entire star systems at once are still fairly good and again much much better than radar.

It's a massive tech advantage if you can "see" your enemy in near real time while they are getting time delayed images of you. Perhaps even hours delayed.

3. Raw speed, even a SW shuttle can quickly high step it away from any BSG fighters able to quickly and smoothly accelerate to ludicrous speeds and back again thanking to point four

4. Internal Dampeners, SW craft have then, everything from fighters on up to Capital ships it's the only way to maintain the raw speed they have without killing everyone inside the craft the instant they stepped on the gas.

All that's balanced out by the fact that the Shuttle is going to be limited by the fact it can only go for so many months before running out of fuel. Even the Falcon has what at max a three month endurance before it needs resupply? Not to sure about this but it is mentioned that fighters have a rough max of two and a half days fuel endurance in a combat situation. You'd run through that a lot quicker than one would think.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
DrMckay
Jedi Master

Post by DrMckay »

Thanks for the tech advice, I don't have the interest in the math/tech base, but will be cutting as close to accurate as I can. Right now, though, proper characterization and introductions between the two powers are of primary importance.

As to Adama not inviting them into the docking bay, this occurs mere weeks after the Attacks, and he is NOT a trusting person. He's going to set ground rules first, and there will be inter-cockpit negotiations and assurances from both sides before the Rogues will get to land on "The Bucket." (Remember, Wedge can be a diplomat even though he hates it.) As for the switching frequencies bit, Adama doesn't want the whole fleet to listen in on it.

I've already gotten around the language barrier. Any suggestions on how to exchange their respective histories in a fair amount of detail without getting too info-dumpy?

As far as short chapters go, I'm posting what I have, and trying to break it up into manageable scenes.
AO3 Link | FFN Link
Kartr_Kana
Jedi Knight

Post by Kartr_Kana »

It's not the fact that he didn't invite them in it's that the chapter just ended. Adama tells them to switch to different channel and I for one was expecting a little more dialog. Even just a "hey we're rounding up a team of 'experts' can you please hold" followed by a snappy on liner from one of the shuttle people "damn outsourcing" you know just something to let us know the chapter is coming to an end.

Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Almost forgot five and the most obvious
5. Computer storage and processor speed. While not Cortana level nuttiness. The equivalent of a Star Wars thumb drive can hold the plans for a moon sized Battle station and have room left over for enough storage for a full sized intelligent AI and who knows how much that kind of program takes up room wise.

I know your thinking on those lines because you tossed Gate in with the party but an R5 droid fully able to chart hyperspace courses in mere minutes which I remind you are like charting a course driving on roads across the Earth at ground level at five thousand miles an hour, by the time you can see something you've already hit it, so being able to know the position in three dimensions plus it's future locations when you get to that part of the route, then recalculate the course several times to find the most optimum route in under ten minutes is a nice trick and a good scale to indicate how much your average R2/R5 droid has to do on the fly since it also needs the storage space for the maps of all those parts of space.

Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
DrMckay
Jedi Master

Post by DrMckay »

Thank you, but you are giving me more credit than is due. I included Gate for two reasons:

1) to contrast with the Colonial's attitudes towards machines, and create a culture clash

2)Create another means of interaction with the "Knuckledraggers" (mechanics)

In Galactica-verse, mechanics are looked down on and demanded much of. In contrast, Rebel (later Republic) mechanics are held in high regard as they work miracles with limited resources. The Rouges' attitude and interactions with the mechanics and reasons for doing so will be a major part of the story. As will Gate's desire to aid in repair on the deck.

Er- you don't mind if I use your suggestion for Gate, do you?
AO3 Link | FFN Link
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

DrMckay wrote:
I've already gotten around the language barrier. Any suggestions on how to exchange their respective histories in a fair amount of detail without getting too info-dumpy?
A simple declaration of who were you again? Followed by "I am General Wedge Antilles of the New Republic Starfighter, we are a coalition of over X member worlds and Y species.

*Edit per the history this should be right around 14 ABY which means per Wookpedia there are "only" 11,000 planets and 4,000 Intelligent Species under the New Republican Banner, down from a height of just under a million worlds.

Even that lowly number should be enough to shock them and they likely can provide the evidence to back it up except it's NBSG which means they can't exactly send them the files since their Databases won't be able to talk to each other(By design on the Galatica's part) which limits them to talking and then a face to face with a holo projector or maybe just a borrowed datapad.

Sorry I keep harping on the tech thing but I'm looking for the right props for you to use to carry the story forward, wherever it's going.

DrMckay
Jedi Master

Post by DrMckay »

Trust me, I appreciate this.

I usually use a more character-driven storytelling method to move the narrative along, and this is a new way of doing things. This is only my second story after all. Relating and having problems with technology as props to move the story along really appeals to me. Thank you for all the help thus far with the numbers and scale differences. Would you like to have a "technical assistant" credit or something?
AO3 Link | FFN Link
DrMckay
Jedi Master

Post by DrMckay »

AO3 Link | FFN Link
Eleas
Jaina Dax

Post by Eleas »

I didn't expect it to be that good. I'm impressed, maybe even a bit jealous; you've definitely got the dialogue down pat.
Björn Paulsen

"Travelers with closed minds can tell us little except about themselves."
--Chinua Achebe
Kartr_Kana
Jedi Knight

Post by Kartr_Kana »

IMO that last line about "...you have entered a war zone between the Cylon, a race of machines, and the humans of the Colonial Fleet..." really helps tie up the end of the chapter and underlines for the Rogue's just how far from home they are.

Oh and I can't remember if R5's have a holo-proj or not but that could help them show the colonials where they're from a la C-3PO on Endor only with pictures!!

DrMckay
Jedi Master

Post by DrMckay »

Eleas wrote:
I didn't expect it to be that good. I'm impressed, maybe even a bit jealous; you've definitely got the dialogue down pat.
Wow. Thanks, I'm a bit of a perfectionist regarding story details, and don't have a beta reader yet, so my updates and writing take a while.

Have you written anything?
AO3 Link | FFN Link
Eleas
Jaina Dax

Post by Eleas »

DrMckay wrote:
Eleas wrote:I didn't expect it to be that good. I'm impressed, maybe even a bit jealous; you've definitely got the dialogue down pat.
Wow. Thanks, I'm a bit of a perfectionist regarding story details, and don't have a beta reader yet, so my updates and writing take a while.

Have you written anything?
Well, yes. On SDnet I've mainly posted shorter pieces like this one. I'm an ESL speaker though, so don't expect too much.
Björn Paulsen

--Chinua Achebe
DrMckay
Jedi Master

Post by DrMckay »

Ah. Interesting, well-paced story, and trhe action was great. I'm not as familiar with fantasy fandoms, and have yet to actually do a oneshot. (I've got a doozy in the works, though.)

I switched to FF.net as it is easier to post and edit stories if I need to, also, the italics, spaces, and bold letters are transferred
AO3 Link | FFN Link
Eleas
Jaina Dax

Post by Eleas »

DrMckay wrote:Ah. Interesting, well-paced story, and trhe action was great. I'm not as familiar with fantasy fandoms, and have yet to actually do a oneshot. (I've got a doozy in the works, though.)

I switched to FF.net as it is easier to post and edit stories if I need to, also, the italics, spaces, and bold letters are transferred
Thank you kindly. If you need any beta help, I'm happy to assist.
Björn Paulsen

--Chinua Achebe
DrMckay
Jedi Master

Post by DrMckay »

Thank you for the offer.

I'm attempting to line up someone from my uni who has expressed interest, which would make communication easier, but if that does not pan out, I'll certainly keep you in mind.

If YOU need a beta, please let me know.
AO3 Link | FFN Link
Eleas
Jaina Dax

Post by Eleas »

DrMckay wrote: If YOU need a beta, please let me know.
Thanks. I may just take you up on that one. :)
Björn Paulsen

--Chinua Achebe
DrMckay
Jedi Master

Post by DrMckay »

Standard Disclaimer: Star Wars belongs to George Lucas, Wraith Squadron belongs to Aaron Allston and Battlestar Galactica belongs to Ron More and Co. The idea to cross them was mine. Please don’t sue.

Author’s Note:

I really enjoy Battlestar Galactica, and am also a huge fan of the Star Wars X-wing novels from a very young age, especially the ones written by Aaron Allston. His lifelike characters are a joy to read. This is a tribute to pilots everywhere, fictional and non, the job they do, why they do it and the all the crazy things that can happen to them along the way. The story has been in the planning stages for a while, although I’ve only recently started writing it, so updates may come slowly. However, I wanted to get out at least one chapter out to test the proverbial waters, so let me know what you think. Consider it a holo-day gift (Sorry, couldn’t resist.) Please enjoy:

Rogues’ Gallery: a Battlestar Galactica/Star Wars X-Wing Crossover

Dramatis Personae:

New Republic Forces:

General Wedge Antilles-Human Male from Corellia
Colonel Tycho Celchu-Human Male from Alderaan
Major Wes Janson-Human Male from Taanab
Major Derek “Hobbie” Klivian- Human Male from Ralltiir

New Republic Intelligence Agent Iella Wessiri Antilles-Human Female From Corellia
NRI Agent Winter-Human Female from Alderaan
R5-G8, “Gate”-Wedge’s Astromech Droid

The Twelve Colonies Remnant:

Civilians:

President Laura Roslin-Human Female from Caprica
Doctor Gaius Baltar-Human Male from Aerilon
Tom Zarek-Human Male from Saggittaron

Battlestar Galactica:

Commander William “Husker” Adama-Human Male from Caprica
Colonel Saul Tigh-Human Male from Aerilon
Captain Aaron Kelly-Landing Signals Officer
Lieutenant Felix Gaeta
Doctor Cottle- Galactica CMO
Sergant Hadrian-Galactica Master-at-Arms
Gunny Erin Mathias
Chief Petty Officer Galen Tyrol
Petty Officer Anastasia Dualla

Pilots:

Captain Lee “Apollo” Adama-Human Male from Caprica
Lieutenant Kara “Starbuck” Thrace
Lieutenant Sharon “Boomer” Valerii
Lieutenant "Racetrack" Edmondson
Lieutenant Alex “Crashdown” Quartararo
Lieutenant George “Catman” Birch
Nuggets:
Cadet Brendan "Hot Dog" Costanza
Sergeant Donald “Chuckles” Perry
Cadet Louanne "Kat" Katraine
Cadet Lindsay “Stepchild” Robinson

Chapter 1: Honeymoon

"We're going to try to subvert an Imperial admiral"
"Oh," Hobbie said. "Something easy. While you're doing that why don't Wes and I smuggle ourselves onboard Agonizer and destroy her with thrown rocks."
Wedge gave him a grin. "With the right tools-say, a hundred thousand ewoks and a month to prepare, you could probably do that. In the meantime, we have the right tools to subvert our Imperial admiral."
"What tools?"
"Oh, Wes's maturity, your optimism and my diplomatic skills."
Hobbie buried his face in his hands. "We're doomed."

-Starfigters of Adumar,
By Aaron Allston

TOGORIA,
ONE MONTH AFTER THE EVENTS OF STARFIGHTERS OF ADUMAR

Togoria is perfect, thought Wedge Antilles, as he rolled over in bed to look at the beautiful woman with dark blond hair who was lying next to him, still asleep. Her name, as of two weeks ago, was Iella Wessiri Antilles.

The ceremony had been relatively quiet, for one of the Heroes of the New Republic (with an action figure and everything;) held in the Corellian Section of Coruscant’s famed Botanical Gardens, and with only the attendance of the Solos, Luke, the surviving Rouges and Wraiths, and a few other acquaintances, among them, the private owner of an Imperial Star Destroyer MkII, his daughter (in attendance as a bridesmaid,) and “that panty-waisted CorSec bastard she married” hiding from the aforementioned Star Destroyer owner behind the bar.

It was nice of Booster to offer a honeymoon cruise on the Errant Venture, but I’ve still gotta thank Han for giving our bona fides to the Togorians. Beautiful beaches, nice weather, and oh yeah; they exile or imprison anyone who tries to land without authorization. No autographs to sign on this leave.

Wedge looked at his wife again, and smiled.

My wife. Never thought I’d use those words in that order.

Oddly enough for a New Republic Intel Operative, she liked to sleep in when she could, which, during three weeks they had spent here, was often.

Not that Wedge was an early riser; a pilot got what sleep he could, whenever he had the chance.

I think Janson actually tried getting some rack time while in the ‘fresher after Brentaal. Brought a pillow and everything. The man’s committed-or he should be.

However, being woken up by a balmy gust of air through the window did give him the chance to do other good-husbandy things like cooking breakfast, and making the caf.
Especially making the caf, as one could stand a spoon upright in the brand the New Republic Bureaucracy and Military survived off of, and according to Iella, CorSec had its own formula, the so called “Morning Madness.” Although purported to be an occupational secret, Wedge had resolved to obtain the formula (to be used for the greater security of the galaxy) through the use of ‘creative interrogation techniques.’

That was when I found out I was more ticklish than she was. Not by much, mind you, but tactics still had to be re-evaluated.

He grinned as he remembered what happened after. And after, and after.

Blast! Still didn’t get the formula. But I’ve got the rest of my life to try.

He was just setting the percolation alarm when Iella began to stir.
“Wedge?” she asked sleepily.

“Actually, the name’s Loran. Garik Loran, teen heartthrob. You may remember me from such films as the Black Bantha, or Desert-mppph!.”

A thrown pillow to the face derailed his train of thought. Iella got up from the bed wearing a flimsy-something-to reclaim her pillow, managing to send the aforementioned train to a bizarre parallel dimension.

The vision of beauty snorted,

“Oh please, you’re far too handsome to impersonate that scarred-up reprobate with delusions of wit.”

“Maybe I’m that Wes Janson the Adumari kept talking about, something about a ‘Darling One?’”

“Having eliminated the scarred-up-reprobate category, we’ve moved on to the immature children? Besides, I’ve always appreciated diligence more.”

“I’ll say you have-”

“Diligence in cooking your wife breakfast, and in the making of the caf. It shall be rewarded.”

She walked over and kissed him.

“Oooh,” said Wedge, when he could talk again, “incentive.”

Iella grinned,

“And we’ve still got another…” she checked the alarm chrono that had been hurled against the wall when it insisted on waking her up, “…three hours before the other members of the Coral Vanda Inspection Team arrive.”

Holding hands, they sat on the room’s sofa, sipping two steaming cups of caf on the small table, luxuriating in the warmth of the cups, and each other.

“It was nice of Cracken to set that up,” said Wedge, “That’s one of those places you need to reserve months in advance. I think it was an apology for the whole ‘Tomer-Darpen-Trying-to-Kill-Us thing,’ and as a continued apology to Tycho for the whole ‘Using-Him-as-Bait-While-Tracking-Down-Isard’s-Agent’ thing…”

“Thus explaining why his and Winter’s vouchers were included a prepaid two-week cruise on the Tinta Sunrise before meeting us,” Iella interjected, “But I thought Tycho didn’t ask for anything in compensation?”

Wedge nodded; “He didn’t. Cracken made the Vanda offer for all of Red Squad-the cruise was separate-and Winter-ah-talked him into accepting it. You NRI Operatives can be-”

“Persuasive?” Asked Iella, as she ran a hand down his tunic fastenings.

“Yeah. Something like that,” Wedge grinned, “Sooo, three hours, huh?”

Iella gave a smile that would not appear amiss on a Trandalon eyeing an unprotected herd of Nerfs

“More like six. I talked to Mrrov, Wes is getting “detained” for smuggling.”

Wedge raised an eyebrow,

“By the Togorians? For three hours? Isn’t that a bit-”

“Harsh? No. This is vengeance for the Girls’ Night before the wedding.”

“Still not letting that one go?” he chuckled, looking into her beautiful brown eyes, “Sooooo. Six hours, huh?”

Iella’s arms encircled his chest, the smile unchanged

“Shut up and kiss me, hotshot.”

“Work, work, work…” Wedge muttered, as their lips met.

SENTINEL-CLASS SHUTTLE PHANAN’S INTELLECT
TOGORIA ORBIT,
SIX AND A HALF HOURS LATER

“Three hours.” Moaned Janson, “Three Vader-dammed hours sitting in that holding cell watching Gungans coming to Dinner over and over and over. It’s enough to convince me never to have kids if I have to watch that again. How could you do that to me, Boss?”

The perpetually youthful Tanaabian pilot had a shell-shocked look on his face that would induce guilt and pity in any who had not known him for years. Unfortunately for Wes, and to Wedge’s never-ending exasperation, he had.

“Oh?” Interjected Hobbie, “I thought Shalla finding you with her sister and kicking you there repeatedly had kinda-uh removed kids from your future plans. Along with-well, you know- other fun stuff.”

Janson’s shell-shocked look morphed into one indicating the astounding betrayal his friend had just committed.

“I thought we agreed,-Derek- that we would never speak of that again.”

Wedge gave a snicker completely unbefitting a General and Hero of the New Republic,

“Please-Who do you think got the security holocam footage-and sent it to Coruscant’s Funniest
Holotapes
?”

Janson shot a pleading look at his C.O. “You wouldn’t-Would you?”

“That depends.” Said Wedge, turning to his wife, “Dear, have you had enough vengeance for what Wes did on your Girls’ Night?”

Janson looked at Iella and blanched, “It was you. You did this to me. That Togorian said she had needs. I could either watch the holo or- or…” he shuddered, drawing himself up, and looking imploringly at Iella,

“Agent Wesseri Antilles, I humbly beg pardon for the offence- yes, that one, that I caused. Please don’t kill me or humiliate me further.”

“Good enough for now.” Iella grumbled, “I’m going to go strap in, I think Tycho and Winter have had enough ‘alone time.’ Well, don’t just stand there Wedge, fly the ship. She cocked her head, “I know you want to, you’ve been planetside for two weeks, and mosgoth riding just doesn’t cut it.” With that, she walked into the rear cabin, leaving Wedge to the questionable mercy of his fellow, single pilots.

SHUTTLE PHANAN’S INTELLECT
TWO JUMPS FROM PANTOLOMIN

While Wedge was busy enough navigating a shuttle, sorting out the chaos that was Wes and Hobbie left him with a warm feeling that he had trouble placing. He had either missed them, or the urge to kill them was rising again. This was about par for his interactions with the duo.

After laying in a shorter course used by the military for the next to last leg of the trip, wedge turned to Tycho, who had joined him in the cabin,
“I’m confused, Tych, Why bring Gate along?”

Tycho’s aristocratic features contorted themselves into a smile, a rare occurrence for the solemn Alderaanian.

“Did you want the official reason, or the actual reason?”

“Official first please,”

“Officially, he’s here to keep an eye on the new Hyperspace Motivator Emtrey ‘found’ and to repair it if needed”

“And the actual reason?”

“Actually, he’s going along because Whistler hasn’t been there yet, and wants to rub it in his er…”

“Photoreceptors?” Wedge offered.
“Yeah,” said Tycho, “Let’s go with that. Course plotted?”

“Just about…”

The sensor board lit up, and the dagger shape of an Interdictor cruiser resolved in front of them.

This can’t be good.

Without bothering to verify ID, Wedge sent the shuttle into a stomach-straining turn-loop to port, narrowly avoiding the Ion Cannon blast that passed through the space that Phanan’s Intellect had just occupied. His eyes flicked over to the Navicomputer, numbers still ticking down to a precise course, and a quick check of sensors reported increased mass anomalies as the Cruiser powered up its Gravity Well Generators.

No Choice.

“Close enough- punch it, Tycho!”

As the blond man pushed the Hyperspace Activation lever, a near miss from the Interdictor Cruiser’s Ion cannon fried part of the heavily modified Hyperspace Motivator acquired by Rogue Squadron’s rogue quartermaster. Instead of the normal white streaks, the stars turned red-

And everything else went black.

COCKPIT, PHANAN’S INTELLECT
LOCATION UNKNOWN

As Wedge came to, he noticed several things. First, he noticed that most of the cockpit systems were offline, even the backups, the exceptions being inertial compensators and environmental systems, the most redundant of all. Secondly, he noticed that the Intellect was in a lateral clockwise spin, judged by staring out the viewport, and observing a red moon and a gas giant.
Third, he saw Tycho come to.

“Tych. Status?”

“Green boss. What in the Seven Hells was that?”

Wedge shook his head to clear the cobwebs before checking the other occupants of the shuttle. As he did, he noticed several bright glints out the viewport. Eight, to be precise. As they grew closer, Wedge could see them in detail. They were silver-gray in color, fighter sized, and comprised of what looked like a central control area extending to curved wings swept forward into points.

He pointed towards them,

“Better question: What in the Seven Hells are those?”

The ships grew larger, and Wedge felt a sense of foreboding as he was able to make out cannon in the wing roots, and an oscillating red light coming from the center of each craft.

He glanced at Tycho, who was shaking his head.

Don’t say it, don’t you dare-

“Boss, I’ve got a bad feeling about this.”

Chapter 1 formatted and posted here. Chapter 2 coming shortly.
AO3 Link | FFN Link
DrMckay
Jedi Master

Re: New Story: Rogues' Gallery, Star Wars/nBSG crossover Ch 1 up

Post by DrMckay »

Author’s Note:

As a reviewer kindly pointed out to me, there is an immense technological disparity between the Star Wars Galaxy and the nBSGverse. I am attempting to rectify this imbalance. Again, if anyone has legitimate questions or criticism, feel free to email me or put it into a review, and I’ll attempt to address it as promptly as possible. Hope I did a good job on Starbuck.
I hate long author’s notes as much as anyone, and will try to keep any others as short as possible.

Now! On with the story, Enjoy!

Chapter 2: Gift from the Gods

Vipers - Space
Starbuck: All right, listen up, nuggets: stay together and keep your throttles firewalled until you hit that deck. Now go.

Galactica - Command
Adama: What is she doing?
Tigh: Starbuck's gonna take o¬n all eight... and get herself killed.

-Battlestar Galactica Season One, “Act Of Contrition” Final Scene

UNKNOWN SYSTEM, NEAR A GAS GIANT AND RED MOON
DURING THE FINAL MINUTES OF BATTLESTAR GALACTICA SEASON 1 EPISODE:
“ACT OF CONTRITION”

No more Nuggets are gonna die because of me.

That thought drove Kara “Starbuck” Thrace as she sped toward the enemy.

To death. To Zak.

As she watched the hostile DRADIS blips grow closer, Kara continually tried to justify her choice. She was doing this to save the Nuggets, so they could get trained up to protect the fleet.

And four lives were definitely worth hers. Lee could teach them. He wasn’t a failure as a teacher, as a leader. And she couldn’t look them in the eyes, neither him nor his father.

Hard enough after she told Lee-After she told the Old Man-

He looked at her with pain in his eyes. Pain and anger. “Walk out of this cabin,” He had said, in a voice choked with emotion, “While you still can.”

The –beep- of the DRADIS board brought her back to herself.

Focus, Starbuck, wouldn’t do to die just yet.

She glanced at it out of the corner of her eye, noticing a blip where there wasn’t one before, relative down, between her and the raiders. No ID, Colonial or Cylon. And she was minutes away from a visual.

“Galactica, Starbuck, unknown contact appeared between me and the Raider force. Contact is shuttle sized or better, no velocity readings. Request instructions.”

Three minutes to visual range. The wireless crackled.

**Starbuck, Galactica Actual. We see it too. Wait for the CAP…**

The board pinged again, and Starbuck observed the raiders change heading with an inhuman coordination. Directly for the new contact, and they weren’t stopping.
Two minutes, thirty seconds.

“Galactica, Starbuck. Negative. Bandits have oriented on the Bogey and have assumed an attack profile. It could be one of ours.”

**It could be a trap** Adama’s voice responded.

“Sometimes you’ve got to roll the hard six, sir.”

**Proceed,** he sighed

She switched the wireless frequency,
“CAP, Starbuck, Status?”

“Catman and Hex, Four minutes out…”

“Hotdog, one minute out. Never leave your leader.”

Two minutes

“Frak. Hotdog, firewall your throttle, link up with me, we’re gonna punch a hole through their formation, reorient, and cover our mystery ship. Catman, Hex, you boys got our six?”

“Just yours Starbuck,” Hex responded, “it’s prettier.”

“Damn straight, Hex. Tighten up, we got toasters to frag.”

One minute

Starbuck flexed her hand on the joystick a couple of times, loosening up. Saw Hotdog off her port side. Kid had balls.

“Hotdog, stay with me, and don’t get cocky.”

“Sir.”

She took a deep breath, relaxing into the fake leather of her seat, watched the numbers scroll down on the readouts. Saw a gray blur as she passed the Bogey and watched the deadly silver shapes of the Raiders begin to grow larger.

“All Vipers, weapons free.”

She oriented on the closest Raider, and opened fire.

SHUTTLE PHANAN’S INTELLECT
COCKPIT

“Boss, I’ve got a bad feeling about this.”

Wedge looked at his friend, “Tych, can you give me shields, engines…” The blond man shook his head.

Wedge thumped the control console, “Get me something. Emergency restart, now!” As Tycho bent to the task, he glanced back to the cabin. “Everyone all right back there?”

“All except Hobbie.”

Iella’s voice, thank the Force

“Clipped his head on something, he’s out cold.”

Wedge gave a wry grin, “Wouldn’t be a proper mission if Hobbie didn’t get injured somehow. Strap yourselves in. It’s gonna get bumpy.”

The shuttle’s cabin lights flickered once, twice, and stayed lit. “Got it, Boss, engines at fifty percent, thrusters online, environmental controls and dampers at eighty…”

Wedge immediately evened out the ship, and began to plot a limping course away from the menacing fighters, which had just opened fire.

“Tych- Weapons? Comms? Sensors?”

“No to the first, yes on the second, short range only on the third.” Tycho glanced at the sensor board. “Two more contacts, higher thrust ratio. Detecting radio waves. Quaint. They don’t look like the ones chasing us. They’ll be on us in a minute, no time like the present for some Diplomacy.”

Wedge nodded, pulling the Intellect into a double barrel roll, and made a decision that would alter the course of Galactic history, “I think we’ve stumbled into someone else’s war. I don’t think the newcomers are planning on shooting us first, and there are only two of them. If we help them…”

“They might not decide to blow us away when it’s over?” Asked Tycho.

“Precisely. Pity we haven’t any weapons- Wait a minute, Tych, can you set the comms to transmit only to our rear, narrow band, high frequency?”

“Planning to ask them nicely not to shoot us?”

“More like tell ‘em. Set for our rear arc. Don’t want our new friends to get caught. Now to set them up for a nice large target…”

The shuttle’s movements grew less erratic, and the silver fighters closed in for the kill.
Wedge thumbed the Transmit button. As he did, he noticed the sensor readings of the fighters go erratic as two red and white blurs speed ever closer. When they passed over the cockpit, he ended the ‘transmission.’

Right, he thought to the newcomers, I’ve done all I can. Finish it.

Starbuck flew through the silent explosion of the first Raider, tiny bits of its hull pinged and clanked off of hers. She checked six, and saw Hotdog, still alive, still on her tail. In fact, she noticed that several of the remaining raiders were moving erratically, or not at all.

Sounds like what Boomer said the Cylons did to our guys.

She and her wingman reoriented for another pass on the three Raiders still moving, just as the CAP Vipers moved in on them.

Keying the wireless, she spoke, “I’ve got the middle one. Hotdog, pick up the one relative right, you guys got the other one.”

**Yessir.**

**Confirmed**

**Acknowledged**

Hotdog opened fire, shredding his Raider, just as Starbuck’s target, moving erratically, opened fire on him, shredding the tail section of his ‘plane.

Static resolved into frantic words; **Krypter, krypter, Controls unresponsive, and I’m venting fuel, Punching out!**

She poured shells into the Raider, cursing herself for lethargy. Saw his cockpit canopy blow off, watched the boost of the ejection seat begin to ignite the leaked fuel. She could only hope he made it far enough away from the fight.

“All vipers, Starbuck. Finish ‘em.”

After the last Raider was blown to scrap, She saw the bogey begin to turn towards Hotdog’s last position. Despite the fact that it had helped her, it still made her nervous. She keyed her wireless, transmitting in the clear,

“Unidentified vessel, unidentified vessel, this is Lieutenant Thrace, callsign ‘Starbuck,’ Colonial Fleet. Transmit ID now, and state your intentions, or you will be fired upon.” Under her breath, she muttered,

“It’d be a shame, too, as you left a good first impression.”

As she awaited the reply, Kara took another glance at the mystery ship. Flat rectangular shape, small cockpit at the front, large stabilizer, and a smaller wing on each side, blocky engines glowing with a blue light completed the ensemble. Was it some kind of Colonial secret weapon?

A male voice, oddly accented in Colonial Standard, hit her speakers,

**This is General Wedge Antilles, New Republic Starfighter Command. I am a human in a coalition of over eleven thousand worlds and four thousand sentient species, currently piloting the Shuttle Phanan’s Intellect. We encountered engine difficulties, and ended up here, wherever here is…”

New Republic Starfighter Command? Didn’t sound like any loony cult she was aware of. Sounded like a military organization. Wait. Four THOUSAND Species? SPECIES?

The voice continued, amused, **Glad we made such a good impression, ‘Starbuck.’ Our weapons systems suffered a failure, and we had to improvise.**

That was improvisation? Oh frak me.

**As far as intentions go, we request permission to rescue your extravehicular pilot. What were those hostile fighters, anyway?**

Her eyebrows shot up. Not Colonial, not Cylon, and not hostile.

She deferred to the First Contact Protocol learned by rote so many years ago at Fleet Academy. She returned in a formal, polite tone.

“Ah, General Antilles, sir, as your organization is presently unknown to us and not a member of the Twelve Colonies, I must decline your offer of aid at this moment.”

She checked her board.

“A Raptor Recovery vessel is currently en route to our pilot. This would appear to be a First Contact Situation, and as such, I am obligated to pass your request to my commanding officer. It’s above my pay grade, sir.”

**Understood, Starbuck. Cutting thrust. Best be quick about your pilot though, it’s a bit cold out there.**

She flipped frequencies. “Galactica Actual, Did you receive all that?”

Adama’s voice came over the line. **Affirmative, Starbuck. I have it from here. General Antilles, this is Commander Adama, of the Colonial Fleet Battlestar Galactica. I am transmitting a coded frequency to your vessel. Please switch to it. **

Antilles’ voice again, **Confirmed Commander. Switching now.**

**General Antilles, you have entered a war zone between the Cylon, a race of machines, and the humans of the Colonial Fleet. My pilots will be escorting your craft to ensure you make no hostile moves, or come to any danger. Please do not deviate from your present course. We have much to discuss. Specifically, the word ‘human,’ and your eleven thousand member worlds.**

And there we go. As for Chapter 3, you guys get it first, not FF.net.
AO3 Link | FFN Link
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Re: New Story: Rogues' Gallery, Star Wars/nBSG crossover Ch 2 up

Post by Crazedwraith »

I'm loving your rogues. Plus the whole Gate/Whistler thing was hilarious. Keep it up.

Although Wedge's introduction, I thought was a little convient for cross over purposes. I wouldn't have thought he'd have gone further than General Wedge Antilles of New Republic Starfighter Command.

Oh and please tell me sooner or later, Red Flights going to end up in Vipers, schooling the nBSG pilots? A Wedge vs Starbuck training flight would be awesome. Afterall oBSG/MkII Vipers were basically X-Wing rip offs.
DrMckay
Jedi Master

Post by DrMckay »

I've already taken the vipers' similarity to X-wings into account, as for Starbuck getting schooled, it happens in one of my other stories, a BSG Firefly cross set in Season 2 BSG with "angsty Starbuck"

Not to shamelessly plug it, of course, but you can read it here:

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/3544185/8/T ... nd_Firefly

I'd like to avoid repeating myself too much, and although I'm not really a Starbuck fan per se, she was much less annoying in early Season 1, and she doesn't have (all) of the baggage that makes her such a loon in later series.

As of now, she will be presented as a pilot who still can act in a professional capacity when she has to (This is a matter of weeks after the Attacks in the Miniseries, afterall.

Why would I put the Rogues in Vipers? :twisted: that makes no sense whatsoever... :wink:
AO3 Link | FFN Link
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Well, they're the only fighters to hand. What else would they fly? Besides; they've recently been flying the hideously primitive Adumari Blade fighters... Though I imagine Vipers would be a further step down. Limit ammo in the main guns.. no inertial compensator. I'd actually like to see the Red flight guys have trouble adjusting to a certain extent... Use up all their ammo early in a dogfight or knock themselves out pulling too sharp a turn.

And I meant him outflying Starbuck. Rather than anything to do with her baggage. I'm sure Wedge is sick dealing with angsty people have coping with the Wraiths...