Star Crossed Fanfic Part 2

UF: Stories written by users, both fanfics and original.

Moderator: LadyTevar

Stravo
Official SD.Net Teller of Tales

Star Crossed Fanfic Part 2

Post by Stravo »

Thus starts a new thread for my humble (yet very very long running) tale.

For those just coming into this story - welcome. I hope you find it as entertaining as many have before you. Here is the link for those who wish to pick it up from that start or want to visit the old thread for a stroll down memory lane.

Starcrossed Fanfic

Can't promise when the new chapter will be posted yet but I have a feeling it will be sometime soon. Anyway feel free to post discussing the last chapter here as well.

Thanks for reading.
Wherever you go, there you are.

Ripped Shirt Monkey - BOTMWriter's Guild Cybertron's Finest Justice League
This updated sig brought to you by JME2
Soontir C'boath
SG-14: Fuck the Medic!
Location: Queens, NYC I DON'T FUCKING CARE IF MANHATTEN IS CONSIDERED NYC!! I'M IN IT ASSHOLE!!!

Post by Soontir C'boath »

I think the other thread should've stayed until five in the afternoon to make it fully four years but it's your story. :P
I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Counciler or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who constantly says: "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action"; who paternalistically believes he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by a mythical concept of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait for a "more convenient season."
Stravo

Post by Stravo »

Soontir C'boath wrote:I think the other thread should've stayed until five in the afternoon to make it fully four years but it's your story. :P
Bah, its been 4 years no matter how you look at it. I figure why not make a fresh start as of now.

Chris OFarrell
Durandal's Bitch

Post by Chris OFarrell »

Woe is us, we're about to loose Starcrossed!!!

Then again, it heralds the comming of the glorious Baneblade vs Truk'o'Doom showdown :D :D :D
Pcm979
Rabid Monkey

Post by Pcm979 »

So is this Starcrossed: Stravo Strikes Back? :P
fusion
Jedi Knight

Post by fusion »

So when is the next installment? :D

PS why is search not working?
Silver Jedi
Padawan Learner

Post by Silver Jedi »

Starcrossed: The Wrath of Stravo :P

Edit: what's an extra 'i' every now and then :P
Last edited by Silver Jedi on 2006-07-21 12:53am, edited 1 time in total.
Not a n00b, just a lurker

108th post on Wed Jun 28, 2006 A Whoop!

200th post on Fri Feb 3, 2012 Six months shy of a decade!
Darth Yoshi
Metroid

Post by Darth Yoshi »

Wraith? Or Wrath?

4 years. Wow.
Fragment of the Lord of Nightmares, release thy heavenly retribution. Blade of cold, black nothingness: become my power, become my body. Together, let us walk the path of destruction and smash even the souls of the Gods! RAGNA BLADE!
Lore Monkey | the Pichu-master™
Secularism—since AD 80
Av: Elika; Prince of Persia
Trytostaydead
Sith Marauder

Post by Trytostaydead »

Maybe we'll see Thrawn beat the shit out of everyone now like we've all been hoping.
Darth Garden Gnome
Official SD.Net Lawn Ornament

Post by Darth Garden Gnome »

Trytostaydead wrote:Maybe we'll see Thrawn beat the shit out of everyone now like we've all been hoping.
My rooting interests are decidedly with Captain Kirk at this time. I don't know if some Excalibur/superlaser/Kahn thing will come into play to knock Thrawn down a peg, Kirk is obviously going to be occupied for a while, but I'd still like to see him involved in some way.
Leader of the Secret Gnome Revolution
Chris OFarrell
Durandal's Bitch

Post by Chris OFarrell »

Trytostaydead wrote:Maybe we'll see Thrawn beat the shit out of everyone now like we've all been hoping.
We have? I've been hoping Thrawn would get a rude surprise and get his ass handed to him.
Elessar
Padawan Learner

Post by Elessar »

Chris OFarrell wrote:
We have? I've been hoping Thrawn would get a rude surprise and get his ass handed to him.
Has Thrawn actually done anything impressive, or is he so far a lot of talk?

It really feels like the latter. I'm hoping that Thrawn will show some of that brilliance before his fall from grace.
Darth Yoshi
Metroid

Post by Darth Yoshi »

Well, Thrawn bitchslapped Khan a few chapters ago. That was entertaining.
Fragment of the Lord of Nightmares, release thy heavenly retribution. Blade of cold, black nothingness: become my power, become my body. Together, let us walk the path of destruction and smash even the souls of the Gods! RAGNA BLADE!
Lore Monkey | the Pichu-master™
Secularism—since AD 80
Av: Elika; Prince of Persia
jegs2
Imperial Spook

Post by jegs2 »

Aaaaaaaaaaaargh! I was looking for a Stravo chapter. Begone!
John 3:16-18
Warwolves G2
The University of North Alabama Lions!
FireNexus
Cookie

Post by FireNexus »

I've noticed that the first chapter has foreshadowed two of the biggest events in the story thus far. The forming of the Borg Unity and the rise of Luke Skywalker from the darkness. So when will Kirk lose?

And yes, I know: "Oh, you made a post, damn you!I thought it was a new chapter." Just follow the cleaned fic for christ's sake.
I had a Bill Maher quote here. But fuck him for his white privelegy "joke".

All the rest? Too long.
Battlehymn Republic
Jedi Council Member

Post by Battlehymn Republic »

I've just read through it all.

What's with the interplay between the Andorian president and the shadowfleet (I also recognized that it's never capitalized) general? Is Section 31 against everybody?

Also, congrats to consequences for the following overview:
consequences wrote:Side A, The Federation: thousands of Starfleet and possibly Klingon ships, the Excalibur, the Reckless Hope, Andor's system defenses, and an untested doomsday weapon. Is there to fight the Empire, will fight the Imperium but don't intend too, will probably be forced to fight the remnants of Shadowfleet.

Side B, the Imperium: a group of battered Star Destroyers and possibly Strike Cruisers, and however many romuland ships they bring to the party, along with the Emperor's Will, with its mini-ultimate death cannon. There to fight the Empire, will cheerfully fight Shadowfleet, will fight the Federation if provoked.

Side C, the Empire: unknown number of assorted GE warships, headed by the Executor, with the most obnoxious superweapon imaginable, Grand Admiral Thrawn unconstrained by the need to keep named characters alive for story purposes. There to crush the Federation, and will steamroller anyone else who gets in their way.

Side D, Overcompensating Assholes: Gary, with Unlimited Power(TM), and the Emperor with the beach ball of destruction. Basically willing to kill anyone and anything.

Side E(maybe) The Borg 2.0: Unknown number of ships, may not even get involved, probably there to fight the Empire but not up on current events as far as we know. Everyone else will probably reflexively start shooting them.

Side F KHAAAAAAAANNNNNN!: limited number of genetic supermen, unknown number of worm-controlled Imperial fodder, there to personally kill Kirk, and will kill or use anyone to achieve that goal.

Side G Shadowfleet: unknown number of ships, superweapon to blow up Andor's sun probably. There to fight anyone they see as threatening the Federation, will probably get shot at by everyone.

Side H Omnipotent Slackers: Don't even know how many still survive, or if they'll ever get their thumbs out of their asses, or which way they will jump if they do.

Side I Q: Trying to save the universe, and getting nowhere fast.
I'd say that to simplify things, Gary and Q's huge meta-struggle (or is Gary merely a servant of the forces of universal entropy?) doesn't exactly fall into the conflict as of now. They don't really intervene, anyways. Side H definitely doesn't do anything, for now. And maybe the Emperor should be lumped in with Side C, the Empire. Khan (why does Stravo spell it Kahn?) is in Imperial care for now, IIRC. So the biggest wild cards, I'd say, are Side G (shadowfleet), Side E (Borg 2.0), and eventually Khan but not for a while.

Factions factions factions! Delicious.
Chris OFarrell
Durandal's Bitch

Post by Chris OFarrell »

............He bumped it.
Ender
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ender »

Battlehymn, would it kill you to just fucking die?
بيرني كان سيفوز
Nuclear Navy Warwolf
in omnibus requiem quaesivi, et nusquam inveni nisi in angulo cum libro
ipsa scientia potestas est
Captain Cyran
Psycho Mini-lop

Post by Captain Cyran »

Thus starts a new thread for my humble (yet very very long running) tale.
Humble my ass. :P

Looking forward to more chapters Stravo.
Justice League, Super-Villain Carnage "Carnage Rules!" Cult of the Kitten Mew... The Black Mage with The Knife SD.Net Chronicler of the Past Bun Bun is my hero. The Official Verilonitis Vaccinator
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Sorry for the bump ya'll...

I just finished reading it, I had given up a year or two ago, mostly because I had joined the Air Force and had to go through training.

I'm just amazed the story is still so good after so long.

Going all the way back to Darkstar's thrashing by Darth Vader and the Jem' Hedar was nice. You've made some of the worst troops in history actually look cool, that is a pretty tough task.

I'm still surprised Picard is part of the Borg now, no matter how wonderful it is. Once bitten, twice cautious and all that.

Also good to see the Delta Flyer still being used, even though its no match for any SW fighter. :)

Will this story ever end?
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

you bumped the StarCrossed threat without an update?
Wooo. Your in for a world of hurt.
Johnathon_Chance
Youngling

Post by Johnathon_Chance »

:wink:

Still nice to hear about it though.
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

Possum Lodge Member 2505162435
Soontir C'boath
SG-14: Fuck the Medic!
Location: Queens, NYC I DON'T FUCKING CARE IF MANHATTEN IS CONSIDERED NYC!! I'M IN IT ASSHOLE!!!

Post by Soontir C'boath »

Crossroads Inc. wrote:you bumped the StarCrossed threat without an update?
Wooo. Your in for a world of hurt.
Indeed when there's another thread specifically made to comment inbetween the long lengths of inactivity.

Sounds like I need to fax a knife.
I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Counciler or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who constantly says: "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action"; who paternalistically believes he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by a mythical concept of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait for a "more convenient season."
Stravo

Post by Stravo »

I'm sorry its been so dreadfully wrong between updates but a severe case of writer's block and real life have made it all but impossible to update this the way I wanted to. Now I present to you a new chapter, a lot longer than usual but I hope no one minds.

Please enjoy and if its a little rusty I apologize but its been awhile. Glad to be back with this story however. I missed it.

Chapter 94: Battle of Andor VI

That which was lost

Luke grunted hard as he pulled back on his control stick and his onyx X-wing responded admirably as she soared high above the ever expanding clouds of debris and plasma marking the death throes of another Imperial fighter.

As soon as he cleared the field he took a moment to drink in the vision of the battle unfurling beneath him as three titanic fleets intent on demolishing each other tore into one another like frenzied predators. Fighters prowled the edges of the battlefield hunting each other with cold deadly precision as their enormous command ships blasted one another with enough firepower to reduce a world to a smoldering cinder.

The fleets were massing around each other, the smaller Federation vessels swarming Thrawn’s left wing and forming a blocking force preventing a center and right wing from collapsing completely on Luke’s own Imperium fleet which was occupied with annihilating Thrawn’s trapped left wing.

Flaming wrecks were falling down in Andor’s inexorable gravity well. Each one was one less enemy vessel to concern themselves with and one step closer to eliminating Thrawn’s left wing.

But despite Luke’s hopes and wishes it was quickly becoming evident that the Federation could not hold the Imperial relief forces back. They fought valiantly, they fought without fear or hesitation, but that was simply not enough. Thrawn was cutting into them like a scalpel, pulling them apart and exposing their primary weakness. Kirk’s brilliant use of this new Federation shield technology was severely limited by range. How Thrawn devised the weakness so quickly and set his ships to methodically pull apart the clusters of starships was a wonder to the young Imperator.

During his months as Darth Nemesis he was privy to many of the Emperor’s secrets and machinations and the Grand Admiral’s name had surfaced several times, always spoken of with a mixture of awe and barely concealed jealousy. The other officers respected and feared him and now he could see why. Thrawn was confidently in charge of this battle even now when facing attacks from two fleets.

He could sense it from the command ship. Calm and calculating precision was flowing from the bridge where before Luke had felt pin pricks of concern. Thrawn had recovered from the surprises and was now resolutely killing his enemy.

Deeper within the Imperial lines however he could sense another resolve. One that was focused on killing as many of the enemy as possible and not caring about their own losses. As if to punctuate his point a brilliant yellow beam slashed out and cut its way through the forecastle of an Imperial stardestroyer, the stricken vessel began to tumble forward and down out of the plane of engagement her emerald blaster bolts splashing against the shields of the cold blue conical vessel that lumbered heedlessly forward through a tight wedge of Imperial ships.

The Excalibur was announcing her presence in this fight with authority and her tiny companion vessels, a squadron of Defiants and X-wing fighters were surging ahead to clear the path. Luke smiled softly. He could almost hear the triumphant whoop from Wedge as he took out yet another Imperial fighter.

He did not think he would ever see his old friend again.

And if not for the brief surge in alarm that roused him from his reverie he probably would never see Wedge again. Emerald bolts flashed by his cockpit as he pulled hard to the starboard and gunned his engines while violently kicking down on his vectored thruster controls. His X-Wing barrel rolled and then dove down hard as the emerald bolts hungrily followed his flight path in deadly staccato volleys that illuminated the interior of Luke’s cockpit with a distracting strobe effect - distracting if you were not one with the Force.

Luke allowed his hands and feet to guide him through the slashing laser bolts that were eagerly hunting him in the void.

In the back of his mind he could feel the presence pressing in on him, a dark familiar mind encroaching on his consciousness like a sand storm coming in off the Dune Sea.

“You are unwise to lower your defenses, Lord Nemesis.”

Luke grit his teeth and yanked back hard while on the control stick while stamping down hard on his vector controls and sliding a thumb along his control stick hitting small buttons built into the sides of his controls stick.

The stars tumbled in a mad dance and he felt his stomach leap into his throat and his vision blurred for a brief moment, alarms buzzed loudly in his ears as a litany of alert lights flashed desperately on the cockpit displays around him. The X-Wing shook and shuddered to its core as she reversed herself, spun backwards end to end while losing little to none of her forward momentum. In a split second Luke’s X-wing fighter was now facing the 6 o’clock position while continuing backwards carried by its forward momentum briefly before her engines could force a reverse in direction.

Luke victoriously pressed down on his fire controls and bright crimson bolts lanced out around the quadrants of his vision narrowing sharply into a single point. A TIE fighter with predatory bent wings and a blazing pair of laser cannons illuminating the small fighter with a sharp emerald glow flashed by his cockpit and the shrill drone of her twin ion engines hissed in his ears as it passed, a brief glimpse of molten metal and hot gasses spraying out from one of the engine struts made him nod knowingly.

“You’ll find I’m full of surprises, father.” Luke replied and swung his fighter around hard to fall in behind his attacker, the hunter effectively becoming the hunted in a split second.

Vader calmly adjusted his controls to compensate for the damage scored on his starboard stabilizer and heat exchangers. The cold hiss of his breathing did not alter a wit as he checked his six o’clock position and gunned his twin ion engines to accelerate. It was all second nature to him. He had fought in battles like this all his life and now the Force was with him more than ever before. He was a master of the dark side and small eventualities like battle damage did not concern him.

The sole thing that concerned him was the treachery of his son, and it seethed in his belly like a venomous serpent.

“Rage can be like that, Father. It coils within you, devours you and leaves you empty and cold inside.”

“Spare me your empty platitudes, Lord Nemesis. You sound like one of your Jedi mentors. Obi Wan was misguided in his attempts to save his Republic. You cling to a dream of a world you never knew an ideal you never experienced.”

“What once was lost can be found again.” Luke replied jerking the controls to the left and avoided a spinning Federation engine nacelle that whipped past his X-wing as he pursued his father deeper into the fray unfurling before them.

“You are a fool to think you can rebuild what never worked. The Republic is dead, Nemesis.” Vader hissed as he corkscrewed his TIE fighter through an exchange of fire between a Miranda class cruiser and a pack of Imperial gunships.

Luke followed close behind, mirroring his father’s maneuvers perfectly. He sprayed out another burst from his cannons for emphasis as he spoke.

“I was not speaking of the Republic, I was referring to you, father.”

Vader hesitated for a moment. He could feel the emotions washing from his son despite the distance and speed. He could feel something he had not felt since that day on Mustafar. Love.

It blinded him for a moment.

It made him remember.

“I love you.” Padme implored. It was the last words she spoke to him before he…

Memories seared across his mind and his limbs ached for the first time in decades.

Fury. Pure unadulterated fury exploded from his withered heart and Vader hissed without thinking.

“I will teach you boy, I will teach you the folly of your intentions.”

Vader’s TIE fighter side slipped over and around a stricken Steamrunner class starship. Just as his fighter cleared the craft one of the bulkheads gave way with a blast of plasma and molten metal spraying into Luke’s path.

Luke did not think, did not pause, he merely reacted, one with the force he trusted to his instincts. His X-Wing spun like a pinwheel and the debris clanged off the leading edges of his wing and nosecone but the body of the fighter was untouched by the nearly impossible maneuver.

However trusting to the Force and instinct protected Luke from the immediate danger not one further down the road. It was a weakness that was known to any Jedi or Sith - a weakness which Vader had exploited in hunting down Jedi for nearly twenty years. He simply never imagined he would use such tactics in hunting down his own son.

The weakness immediately became evident as Luke recovered his fighter from the mad spinning maneuver and quickly checked his surroundings. Vader’s fighter had looped around the Steamrunner in a tight high speed turn and was now firmly behind Luke. The Force protected you from immanent dangers, doing what it could to place you out of harm’s way, but rarely looking past the danger in front of you to the dangers beyond.

At the height of the Clone Wars the Separatists would lay a series of rapid ambushes for an errant Jedi with the goal of placing the Jedi in a position of vulnerability for the kill. Vader had played the same game with Luke. He led the young upstart into a position that would make him react instinctively using the force to escape harm not realizing that he was merely placing himself in a more vulnerable position.

Vader savagely pressed down on his fire controls and laced his bright emerald fire down at Luke’s fighter. Luke tried to jig hard but some of the TIE’s bolts struck his engine full on, the engine block glowed a bright red for a moment then streamed molten metal and hot gasses from the ignition chamber.

“I’m hit but it’s not bad – D4 see what you can do. Hang on back there.” Luke ordered as he jerked down hard on his stick and kicked his vector controls pedals.

R2 D4 whistled excitedly as it extended a control arm towards the stricken engine.

Vader smiled under his breath mask as Luke executed a perfect spinning dive to break away from Vader. Despite his fury towards the boy he was proud of him. Even Obi Wan was never this good of a pilot.

Vader followed Luke’s X-Wing doggedly deeper into the fleet engagement.

USS ENTERPRISE NCC-1701-E BOARDING ACTION

Kirk grunted as he slipped the lightsaber deep into the chest plate of the nearest Imperial stormtrooper. The trooper grunted sharply and slumped forward, his blaster clattering uselessly onto the deck grates. A flash of bright white light blinded him for a moment as he withdrew the humming blade without resistance.

Stormtroopers continued to drop down into the bridge of the Enterprise like a foul white rain. They dropped into low crouches immediately hunting for targets as they crab walked out of the way of more troopers dropping down from the hole blasted in the ceiling of the bridge where the Imperial assault transport had docked with the crippled starship.

The moment the stormtroopers began to board the starship the crew fought like tigers to protect their starship for at this moment in time the Enterprise was the Federation. The stormtroopers were the Empire come to take. They would not allow it. It would not happen.

Phaser fire lanced out in volleys that picked stormtroopers off their feet slamming them against bulkheads and the view screen. Stormtroopers returned fire but instead of the deadly red blaster bolts that would have torn the crew to pieces there were bright white circular blasts that hunted men and rendered them unconscious.

Kirk immediately understood that this boarding action meant to take them prisoner and in that restraint they had a distinct advantage. The crew did not have to hold back but the Imperials did.

“Don’t give them an inch! Push them back into their ship!” Kirk urged whipping his lightsaber before him and illuminating those around him in the pale blue light of the blade. The lights on the bridge were either out or flickering madly throwing up mad shadows against the ivory walls.

Sulu ducked quickly beneath the helm and emerged from the other side and squeezed off two shots, taking out one stormtrooper, the phaser bolt shattering the eyepiece of the trooper’s helmet and burning through his skull. The second shot lanced up into the breach of the bridge clipping a stormtrooper as he descended, severing a leg and sending the trooper spinning into a control station with a crash.

Scotty was wrestling with another trooper, grunting mightily as they pushed against each other searching for an advantage. A young ensign tried to intervene but a bright white bolt took him down sending the young man slumping down head first onto the floor.

Spock calmly took aim and fired, sending another trooper catapulting backwards over a guardrail.

“Intruder control systems have been disabled.” Spock reported as he glanced down at the tactical panel by the security station. Two more bridge personnel succumbed to the expert marksmanship of the Imperial boarders.

“Mr. Spock, you’re just full of good news.” Kirk shouted back as he swung his lightsaber in a sidestroke that took a stormtrooper apart at the hip. Kirk recovered the blade carefully, aware of how light the blade was and how little effort it took to cut through his enemies. He also noted grimly how few of his men remained conscious and able to fight.

As if in answer to his prayers the turbolift doors snapped open and a fully armed and armored security force burst in with phaser rifles at the ready. They did not hesitate to begin laying down heavy fire on the stormtroopers concentrated at the front half of the bridge.

Spock made his way down to Kirk placing a hand on Kirk’s shoulder.

“Captain, we cannot continue fighting like this on the bridge, we will reduce it to scrap soon enough and the damage will force us to withdraw to the auxiliary bridge.”

Kirk glanced around quickly seeing his security team ducking behind seats and control consoles for cover while firing back angry red bolts at the stormtroopers who were also using any part of the assailed bridge as cover, resulting in seats having the backs blown off or fires burning from ruined stations.

“We won’t have time for that, Spock.” Kirk replied hotly ducking back as another white bolt flashed by.

“My point precisely captain.” Spock noted dryly.

“Let’s see what we can do about this but first let’s secure our right and see if the miracle worker can give us a way out of this.” Kirk ordered.

Kirk nodded towards Scotty as he swung his blade in a wide high arc and severed the outstretched arms of a trooper aiming his blaster at the security team. Meanwhile Spock quickly reached over with one arm and gripped the trooper that Scotty was wrestling with and yanked him back off his feet and into the helm station with a jarring thud.

Scotty smiled wearily and wiped sweat off his brow.

“Many thanks, Mr. Spock, but I had the situation under control.”

Spock arched an eyebrow slightly and nodded.

“Then I apologize for cutting it short, Mr. Scott. Perhaps you would like to assist us in getting the intruder control systems back online.”

Scotty immediately turned to his station, gingerly pulled an unconscious crewmen sprawled out across his panels and checked the status reports. He grimaced.

“I take it our situation is not ideal?” Spock asked. He took aim and fired again while Kirk waded out to his left attempting to shore up what little remained of his crew’s resistance in that quarter. Say what you will about the Imperials, their stormtroopers were most adept at taking a position against heavy resistance. There was no doubt in Spock’s mind that even with the reinforcements the bridge would be lost in short order.

“Ideal is certainly an understatement. These bloody bastards have fried half the control circuits between here and the central command core systems. The main computer is rebooting but it will take too much time to reroute the intruder control systems,”

“Unfortunately time is a luxury we do not have, Mr. Scott.”

“But we do have power.” Scotty noted.

“I’m afraid I do not follow.”

“You remember that little vacation we took on Taurus 1?” Scotty replied as he quickly began working at his station, fingers flying over controls and touch pads.

Spock almost seemed to frown.

“Indeed I do, Mr. Scott. But what does the crash landing of the Galieo7 have to do--- I see your point.” Spock changed tone in moments as realization flashed in his mind.

“We’ll need a distraction to set this up, these aren’t exactly the most ideal conditions.”

“Nor as I recall were the ones on Taurus 1.” Spock replied without skipping a beat.

“Mr. Spock, Scotty!” Uhura vaulted over the guardrail between her station and theirs. White bolts slipped by right over her head as she landed with a grunt in a low crouch, phaser in one hand and communicator in the other.

“Uhura, keep your head down lass, this isn’t exactly the kinda fight you should be involved in.” Scotty warned.

Uhura frowned.

“Because I’m a woman?”

“Well…” Scotty began sheepishly.

“That’s what I like about you, Scotty. You’re so 20th century.” Uhura dead panned with a smile then she instantly became all business. “Mr. Spock I believe I have your distraction.”

“Go on Lieutenant.” Spock replied ducking his head back as more bolts flashed by where they were crouched. More security personal were falling to the deadly accurate fire of the stormtroopers. It was an almost comical sight to see two armed units blasting at each other at a dozen paces in the confined space of the bridge, forced to used chairs and control stations as cover. If Spock were fully human he may have fully appreciated the humor of the sight. As it stood now logic dictated that this battle was lost.

“I think I’ve keyed in on their helmet frequencies.” Uhura explained holding up the communicator.

“I assume you will then push down a feedback loop into their communications systems?” Spock asked.

“Great minds think alike, Mr. Spock.” Uhura replied with an impish grin as she tapped her head with the communicator.

“So be it, lass. Mr. Spock all I need is a minute to reroute the power coupling feed into the deck plates.” Scotty asserted as a panel burst into flames not more than a meter away from a stray phaser bolt.

“I will provide covering fire.” Spock added.

“Alright, let’s do this.” Uhura nodded and keyed in a code to her communicator.

The stormtroopers immediately stopped short and many instinctively cupped the sides of their heads and cried out in pain.

Kirk did not hesitate. He waded into the stricken troopers with a ferocity that surprised even himself and swung his lightsaber like a baseball bat slicing through the contingent of troops that had nearly overwhelmed the left side of the bridge.

“Make every shot count men!” Kirk shouted over the screams of pain and the sharp hiss of fire control systems vomiting forth their thick white mist.

The remnants of the security team began firing into the center of the clustered troops with enthusiastic whoops.

Spock coolly squeezed off shot after shot that took troopers off their feet or severed limbs in hot mists of blood. The troopers quickly recovered however, for these were the finest in the Empire, these were the first ones in, the last ones out. The sonic attack was just one more obstacle to overcome.

One of their officers held up a fist and made a combat sign that looked like the spinning of a clock or turning of a dial and the troopers quickly changed the frequencies of their helmet communicators.

Kirk saw the quick reaction, the mechanical like precision and knew they were about to be overcome. The bridge was nearly in ruins, half the stations were heavily damaged, the con was in bad shape and many of his bridge crew were either wounded or unconscious. The only advantage they had at the moment was in edge in raw numbers. That advantage led to only one alternative. He gave the last order he ever expected to give in fighting for his ship.

“Close to melee, take them out hand to hand!” He shouted.

The security team did not hesitate and launched themselves at the enemy with fervor and a mixture of war cries from a dozen worlds in the Federation. They were being ordered by James Kirk, icon from the past, hero of the Federation and savior of all that they held dear and precious. If he ordered them to charge the very gates of hell unarmed they would. They were asked to defend the flagship of the Federation with their fists and blood and they would do so to the man. The Imperial stormtroopers were surprised by the sudden change in attack posture and several were driven to the deck with phaser rifles used as clubs. The ferocity of the Enterprise’s security team’s assault drove the stormtroopers back with the initial contact but the finest of the Empire were not going to be clubbed or beaten into submission and they responded in kind with furious swipes from the butt of their blasters or armored fists and elbows.

The struggle was horrific in its intensity as troops tore into each other with fists, feet, and blunt end of weapons and as the battle progressed no one knew how it happened, perhaps one of the stormtroopers grew frustrated or angry or perhaps even afraid and they instinctively switched their weapon to kill.

Whatever the reason the shot went off like a thunderbolt from an angry god. The red bolt flashed past the massed men and exploded overhead destroying several panels of the ceiling. Another bolt followed almost immediately and Sulu screamed as the bolt clipped the side of his face sending him spinning like a dervish off his feet and into the con with a sickening thud.

McCoy was off his feet and racing in a low crouch towards Sulu in an effort to drag him into the makeshift triage area he had set up in the back right corner of the bridge near the turbolift.

The shots confused the rest of the stormtroopers who were so caught up in the hand to hand that they did not have time to check in with each other over their helmet comlinks. Some made the mistake of assuming that an order had been given but the sudden switch in com frequency did not allow them to hear the order. So several others switched their weapons to kill and began firing as well.

“In the name of Lord Vader hold your fire men!” One of their commanders implored.

The order seemed to go unnoticed or unheard as Federation security teams screamed in pain and anguish as blaster bolts tore through them with murderous power. Kirk drove his saber through the commanding officer’s helmet killing him instantly before he could order his men again and the melee dissolved into a murderous brawl with no quarter asked and none given. The fate of the Enterprise hung in the balance.

KURGOS – ANDOR’S FORTRESS MOON

The battle played out in sharp high contrast vibrant colors on the holographic displays at the tactical station of the Andorian fortress moon’s battle bridge.

Stenos, the old admiral and war hero of the Dominion War, stood impassively, hands clasped behind his back his head leaning forward slightly allowing his antennae to pick up every nuance of sound from the battle reports streaming through on the open com channel.

The Imperial forces were represented by a bright emerald coloring while the Federation forces were represented by a bright blue. He was carefully watching the bright blue icons trying their best to screen the Imperial center from coming in to relieve the harried Imperial left wing. The left wing was swarmed by angry red icons indicating the Imperium fleet that had recently arrived in force.

Stenos’ eyes wandered over the field of battle watching the position of the Imperial right wing which was inexorably starting to flank the Federation screening force and would inevitably either completely envelope it or force the Federation fleet to withdraw and expose the Imperium fleet to the full brunt of Thrawn’s forces.

What interested him most was the position of the Executor, command ship of Thrawn’s Imperial forces. The mighty juggernaut was standing off away from the main body of the Imperial fleet with only a small picket line of light ships as a defense.

He watched, willing the vessel to move forward several more agonizing kilometers. It was maddening to see the goal so tantalizingly close yet Thrawn acted as if he instinctively knew precisely where the Federation wanted him to be.

Stenos stood in the center of the Battle Bridge on the most powerful weapon in the Andorian arsenal. Kurgos was the largest satellite orbiting Andor. In the early days of Andorian space exploration and expansion, Kurgos was mined for raw resources including Dilithium. The moon was stripped of everything in a matter of a century.

It was seen as mildly shameful that the moon was left hollowed out and barren due to Andorian greed and general short sightedness. Kurgos stood as a monument against the excesses of the Andorian era of expansion. However, Andorians are a warrior people and it would not stand for long as mournful monument to excesses past.

The military saw the moon as a key part of a defense network for the home world, in particular in light of their strained relations with the Vulcans and other neighbors thus work on transforming Kurgos into a fortress moon that would guard the gates of Andor began in earnest.

The hollowed out moon was fitted with life support systems, power cores sunk deep into the rocky satellite and shield generators were erected in record time. Weapon systems were installed all along the surface and in recessed caverns just beneath the rocky crust ready to provide firepower that could punch a hole in a planet.

The moon was a generational project, an ongoing affair that spanned lifetimes. Older weapon systems were supplanted by newer ones, shields grids updated, modules replaced, power cores upgraded in a never ending project to make the moon a powerful statement of Andorian independence.

When Andor decided that it needed to secede from the Federation it began a crash program in upgrading the fortress moon yet again in anticipation of having to fend off Starfleet itself should the Federation try to force Andor back into the fold. These emergency upgrades brought the moon to its current state of readiness and she was a wonder to behold.

Stenos glanced around with pride at the masterpiece of his people. Kurgos was designed to hold off an entire fleet of warships and buried down here, kilometers beneath solid stone and rock the bridge crew would be nearly invulnerable. However the frustration of a very real limitation of Kurgos now ate at them.

Kurgos could be bypassed. It could be ignored and they could do nothing about it. Imperial mobility had once again proven the futility of fixed fortifications against a highly mobile foe. Kurgos, for all her impressive armament was impotent in the face of Thrawn’s fleet. Reduced to firing long range salvos whenever an Imperial fleet element drew close enough to the fortress moon the frustration among his handpicked crew was palpable.

However, if Kirk and the team of his madmen engineers were correct then that might all change at any moment.

Or they may all die spectacularly.

“Imperial bombardment of Andor is penetrating most of the planetary shield.” One of his officers reported in the typical near whisper of his species, only the pitch and tone indicated the fury in the voice. It snapped Stenos out of his reverie.

“I want another positional report.” Stenos replied coolly.

His officer blinked, stunned by his commander’s studious calm in the face of the awful crime being committed against their home world. Even from the armored observation ports where their world hung nearly a million kilometers away, the crew could see Andor burning. Stenos turned his head slightly to regard the young officer with a hawk like gaze.

“If you wish to avenge Andor and our people you will do precisely what I ask you to do.”

“Of course! Right on it, sir.” The officer replied with a curt nod of his head. He stepped away and quickly made his way to the navigation and tracking station.

Stenos returned his attention to the battle.

“The Enterprise is in trouble, admiral.”

“What kind of trouble, Lieutenant. You will have to be a little more specific as unlike our Vulcan allies I do not read minds.”

The officer’s lips pursed slightly and he continued his report.

“Looks like a boarding action taking place, Starfleet vessels are moving to support her but the Enterprise is drifting out of the main plane of engagement and deeper behind Imperial lines. Sir, I don’t think even the Imperials realize this yet, their battle lines are too chaotic at the moment.”

“But when they do—” Stenos added darkly.

“Sir! Imperial stardestroyer Devastator is moving into an attack posture on Enterprise.”

“And so spoken to their ears.” Stenos spat bitterly. “Alert all Starfleet vessels of the situation, tactical, I want all weapons systems standing by prepared to fire in an alpha strike on my mark and make sure that all torpedo racks are currently loaded with the new proton torpedoes. Engineering, pour whatever reserve power we have into our shield grid, I don’t care if you tap life support and evacuate all non essential crew areas and seal all bulkheads and levels from each other.” He paused for a moment to make sure this was all sinking in. Some of the men seemed confused and uncertain. They were preparing as if Kurgos were about to enter the fray yet the fleet action was in low Andor orbit nearly a million kilometers away.

“All hands prepare to initiate Operation Mohammed.”

The men scrambled to carry out his orders with newfound fervor. The moment of truth was almost upon them.

“Communications get me the Cairo.”

“Captain Jellico already on the line, Admiral.”

Stenos smiled grimly. He strode over to the communications station.

“Kirk is in trouble.” Jellico started without preamble.

“We see that here. He has the authority to call for Operation Mohammed. If he is unable to give the order…” Stenos let the rest remain unspoken.

“We can’t allow ourselves to lose this opportunity.” Jellico replied without hesitation with steely determination.

“I am in complete agreement. I have already ordered the fortress and my crew to stand by for combat operations. And You?”

“My men have been chompin’ at the bit since the Imperials arrived. We have all our equipment in place. My last orders from Kirk were to stand by.”

“And now the Enterprise is being boarded.”

“Are you comfortable with me making this call?” Jellico asked quietly.

Stenos stood at the station pensive for a long moment. His instincts were urging him in one direction and his years as a Starfleet officer were leading him to another. Stenos lived most of his military career as a leader of men and a warrior. He was a warrior who followed his instincts, instincts that led to a stunning series of victories against the Dominion during the darker days of the war when victories were as rare as Denebian fire rubies.

Stenos shook his head ruefully.

And truth be told, he was a poor Starfleet officer.

“The Kurgos is standing by on your command.” He replied simply.

“Jellico out.”

Stenos sighed softly. He motioned for his chief engineer to approach. He was immediately by Stenos’ side.

“Sir?”

“Contact the planetary power grid and tell them to prepare to initiate power spike.”

“Acknowledged. Our power transmitters are also standing by and the power tap to the Reckless Hope is active and standing by.”

“What do you think? Can this work?” Stenos asked seriously pinning the engineer with a stony gaze.

“Theoretically? Yes. The theory is sound.” The engineer replied hesitantly.

“What does your gut tell you?” Stenos pressed.

The engineer shook his head slowly.

“I don’t put much stock in theories sir. Frankly we’ll be lucky if we’re not reduced to pebble sized debris.”

“Well, then, now I am reassured.” The old Admiral chuckled darkly.

RECKLESS HOPE BEHIND KURGOS

“You’re going to what?” Leia asked hotly.

“We don’t have much of a choice, princess. The Enterprise is being boarded, our fleet is being encircled and we’re running out of options.”

“If we don’t initiate this operation precisely as planned, we will lose the entire moon not to mention this battle.” Leia cautioned.

“Are you suggesting we wait for Captain Kirk?” Jellico asked pointedly.

Leia glanced back at the Reckless Hope’s captain. The Alderaanian gently shook his head.

“Your highness, the Enterprise is crippled and about to be drawn into the Devastator. There’s little chance the captain is getting out of that.” He cautioned softly.

Leia leaned over the communication station and looked back out at the armored view port where the battle was playing out, partially obscured by the fortress moon. She willed herself to feel Kirk’s presence as if wanting some confirmation from him that this was the correct decision. So much was riding on this radical plan and now the architect may be lost. It never occurred to her for a moment that Kirk and the Enterprise could be a casualty this early in the battle. She somehow saw things differently.

Chewbacca towered over her and placed a reassuring paw on her shoulder and huffed softly. Leia placed a hand on Chewbacca’s hairy paw and nodded.

“Captain Jellico, I’m afraid I can’t argue with your logic on this. We will need to initiate the operation.” Leia replied dropping her head slightly in defeat.

“Thank you, princess. Have the Hope prepare to open up the power tap to Kurgos then provide covering fire for my fleet element once we enter the rally point. We’ll only get one shot at this.”

“May the Force be with us.” She whispered.

EXECUTOR BEHIND IMPERIAL CENTER WING

Han Solo grimaced slightly as he was roughly shoved through the open doors. He immediately knew he was on the bridge, the sounds were all there, the hustle of people moving by him, the constant stream of reports and orders and the distinct lack of engine noise save for the slightest tremor on the deck plates.

“Is your vision getting any better?” Ochoa asked softly next Han.

Han thought about responding sarcastically or angrily but he couldn’t seem to summon it up against the blind starship captain despite his suspicions that he was an Imperial plant.

“Well, instead of a big black blur I see a big light blur.” Han replied casually.

“Well, if it’s any comfort we’re both probably missing the greatest space battle in Federation history.” Ochoa replied with a laugh, both men clearly oblivious to the massive armadas flashing by the expansive view ports of the Executor’s bridge locked in mortal combat.

Han frowned.

“Gee, thanks, you’ve been a big help.”

“Captain Solo, I presume.” The cold voice cut through the chatter like a scalpel and drew Han’s attention in an instant. This was not your standard Imperial officer or commander. This voice belonged to one accustomed to command, someone who did not need to demand the attention and respect he deserved but one who unhesitatingly earned it.

“And who am I presuming?” Han asked tightly glancing around trying to pierce the fuzzy darkness of his sight.

“More respect for the Grand Admiral, rebel scum.” A stormtrooper snapped and planted the butt of his blaster right into Han’s kidneys. Han stumbled forward slightly and grunted in pain.

“Grand Admiral, huh?” Han replied to grit teeth. As he spoke he tried to fight through the thick shadows that were closing in on his vision. He felt damned helpless and it irked him to his core. It was time to let the world share a little in his pain. “I guess I’m moving up in the world, from Hutts to the crème de la crème of the Emperor’s finest.” He suddenly swung around sharply with his elbow and dug it right into the chin of the stormtrooper catapulting the trooper backwards off his feet and sprawled out on the deck.

Another trooper immediately stepped in and delivered a crushing blow with the butt of his blaster to Han’s jaw and sent the Correllian to his knees. Han spit blood onto the deck and breathed heavily trying to regain his bearings again. The sudden jarring impact seemed to have loosened up something and his vision cleared for a moment.

“That’s quite enough.” Thrawn ordered sternly.

“Ah yes, the brave Imperial soldiers showing their battle hardened combat skills by beating on a blind man.” Ochoa chuckled darkly.

“Watch it.” The trooper behind Ochoa warned.

“You will not touch the Ochoa.” The nearest Noghri to Ochoa whispered sternly glaring back at the trooper.

“Enough.” Thrawn’s order was like steel and everyone stopped.

“Chaos everywhere, Grand Admiral. It takes a strong will to hold it altogether. I commend you.” Khan added with a grandiose smile.

Thrawn turned his head slowly and pinned Khan with his glowing red eyes and his voice was even and betrayed no emotion.

“Another word, Khan Noonien Singh. Simply speak one more syllable and I will have your life.”

A ring of stormtroopers surrounding Khan immediately raised blasters at the ready.

Khan casually looked around at each of them then held up his hands slowly and nodded in acquiescence. Thrawn returned his attention to his captives, ignoring the sights playing out behind him on the huge panoramic ports behind him. A Klingon bird of prey was locked in a spinning dive, her engines were on fire trailing a glittering stream of charged plasma and molten metal as a pair of assault gunboats followed her spraying a stream of bright green blaster fire.

Khan winked at Jerjerrod and the young officer stiffened slightly and sweat began to bead his brow as he walked very stiffly towards the Grand Admiral.

“Now, Captain Solo, while my men may be a little enthusiastic shall we say in upholding my rank and privileges they are correct in that you will not address me in that same casual tone you would with your other pirate and rebel associates. You will address me as Grand Admiral or sir and nothing else. Your life is virtually meaningless to me.”

“So why am I here?” Han spat. The trooper standing over Han firmly placed his blaster against Han’s temple. “Grand Admiral.” Han added stonily.

“You are here because I want to reunite you with some of your friends.”

“Go on, I’m listening.” The trooper shoved the barrel firmly against Han’s temple again. “Sir.”

“Incidentally trooper, if he does that again you will discharge your weapon without hesitation.” Thrawn prefaced before he answered Han.

“Yes, sir.” The trooper responded with a perfunctory nod in a cold monotone.

Han frowned sourly.

“You will find that I am a fair man, Captain Solo. I have no need to slaughter every insurgent, every rebel that defies the will of the Emperor. I require only obedience and subjugation. This battle is a fruitless waste of energy and resources. Your friends refuse to listen to reason.”

“What friends would that be, Grand Admiral?” Han asked sardonically.

“Luke Skywalker who now refers to himself as Darth Nemesis and Princess Leia Organna who is accompanied by a Wookie whom I’m told is a companion of yours.”

“Why would they mean anything to me, Grand Admiral and why would I mean anything to them at this point?” Han snorted. “After all I’m just a smuggler, space trash for hire. What possible worth do I have in their eyes? If Luke is a Sith Lord now he doesn’t give a damn about me and Leia is a princess, to her I’m just the hired help and Chewbacca is a Wookie, they’re aliens and who knows what worth their loyalty and friendship has? He left me to my fate so go figure.” Han smirked and shook his head. “I’d say you’re barking up the wrong tree Grand Admiral. You’re wasting your time.”

Thrawn was quietly walking over to Han as he spoke on his knees, hands still manacled together in front of him. Han was trying to look for an audience as he spoke, blank eyes searching for even a shape to fixate on.

Thrawn slowed, circled the blind smuggler like a shark and when he spoke it was a casual conversational tone. Jerjerrod moved like a ghost off to his right and stopped to inspect a random report.

“I agree with all of your points, Captain Solo. You are space filth, a mercenary of ill repute and questionable moral fiber, hardly the sort that an aspiring Jedi Knight and Alderaanian princess would look to as a friend.”

Han nodded in agreement but his heart was in turmoil. Leia. Here? And Luke, a Sith lord? What had happened to his world?

“If I were to say I had you as my prisoner to do with as I pleased I suspect that they may even ask to help me hurt you.”

“Damn straight Grand Admiral.” Han added.

Thrawn paused to Han’s left, examining the young smuggler’s face with barely concealed contempt. Thrawn leaned down at his waist and stage whispered into his ear.

“After all, the princess has found a suitable lover in James T. Kirk.”

“What was that?” Han asked nonchalantly. The dagger dug deep into his heart.

Thrawn’s crimson eyes narrowed and there was a hint of a smile on his blue lips. He pulled away slightly.

“My agents were quite explicit in their reports concerning their relationship, and after all, why not?” Thrawn mused in an almost good natured tone of voice. “He is a man of action, a commander of thousands of ships with hundreds of worlds marshalling to his cause. He has single handedly led a revolt that has frustrated the designs of two Imperial sector fleets and a Sith Lord. I would call a man like that…iconic. What would you say, Captain Solo?”

“I don’t know, Grand Admiral. I don’t know the man.” Solo replied but his jaw tightened ever so slightly. It couldn’t be true? Could it?

“Are you quite done toying with the blind man?” Ochoa asked frostily.

Thrawn did not spare the starship captain a fraction of his attention.

“And what have you accomplished in your lifetime, Captain Solo? Made the Kessel Run in less than twelve parsecs? I can see where that would fascinate a lady the likes of Princess Organna.” Thrawn sighed and then stood straight up and glared down at Han.

“You’d be so right, Captain Solo. You would be nothing more than a mercenary, hired help as you so aptly put it to a woman such as Princess Leia. In Kirk she has found someone so like her, passionate, powerful, a founder of a great rebellion against tyranny. What else would she want? More pointedly what could she possibly want in you?”

There was a moment of electric silence between the two men.

“Like I said, Grand Admiral, she doesn’t want me. I’m a scoundrel.” Han replied biting off every word as if chewing on them. He ended the last part with a smile.

“Indeed.” Thrawn nodded without much emotion. “And you think I am a complete simpleton don’t you? You think I have not been privy to the very propaganda vomited forth from your pathetic rebel alliance? The heroes of Yavin they called you. You, Skywalker, the princess, all together like one big happy family and you expect me to believe for one nano second that they won’t care about you?” Thrawn explained coldly.

“They’re not stupid, Grand Admiral. They won’t back down just because you reveal that you have me.”

“Because Leia no longer needs you, she has James Kirk after all and Skywalker never gave a damn about you is that it?”

“That’s the long and short of it. Are we done here, Grand Admiral?” Han replied without hesitation.

“Not by a long shot, Captain Solo. Because there was Bespin.”

“I’ve got unfinished business on Bespin.” Han spat.

“Calrissian you mean? I wouldn’t worry about him. He died at the Battle of Endor. He’s no longer your concern. But you are your friends’ concern now my good Captain. They did everything they could to rescue you, even Skywalker came out of hiding into an all but certain trap to save you.” Thrawn continued.

Han felt numb. Lando. Dead. He wanted to strangle him with his bare hands just moments ago yet now with the certainty of his death at the hands of his enemies he could only feel a deep abiding sadness.

“Lando.” He muttered under his breath.

Thrawn nodded to the pair of troopers hovering by Han and both manhandled him up to a standing position.

Thrawn turned to his communications officer.

“Prepare to transmit on wide bind all frequencies. I want their entire fleet and anyone else that may be listening to see this.”

“Aye Grand Admiral.”

Thrawn took a step towards Han and placed a finger on his chin in thought.

“It occurs to me Captain Solo that you owe them nothing.”

“That’s what I’ve been trying to tell you, Grand Admiral.” Han replied weakly.

“Don’t sell me on that nonsense that you mean nothing to them, your bluff was anemic, amateurish and quite frankly embarrassing. Don’t bluff a Grand Admiral, smuggler, I am not one of your underworld scum sitting across from you at a Sabaac table. However you’ve been quite angry at the revelations I’ve had for you. Luke Skywalker a man you called brother now a Sith lord and a lackey to Lord Vader and the Emperor. Skywalker helped us dismantle your rebel alliance cell by cell, secret base by secret base. But I don’t think that irks you nearly as much as a very simple little fact.”

Han looked up at Thrawn and his eyes seemed to be gaining focus.

“He never came for me.” Han replied the bitterness etching every word like acid. Ochoa took a step forward.

“Han! Don’t give into despair! He’s a good ma—” the stormtrooper behind Ochoa moved to jam the butt of his blaster into Ochoa’s back when the Noghri closest to the blind starship captain whipped an arm up like a striking cobra and yanked the blaster away with a sickening crack of broken fingers and a wrist. The stormtrooper grunted in pain and took a step backwards.

“We said you will not touch the Ochoa.” The Noghri huffed as if in annoyance that the trooper dared to cross them.

The other Noghri moved to gently restrain Ochoa who did not resist.

“No, he did not.” Thrawn answered simply. The disturbance behind them would be dealt with soon enough.

“And do I need to tell you about the princess and Kirk?” Thrawn added darkly. “There are holovids of a most…delicate nature which I could share with you but let us be blunt. She was a woman, he is the kind of man she has always wanted and you have been gone for a very long time. Could you have been anything other than a plaything for her?”

“Leia.” Han sighed and his head seemed to slump down for a moment, Thrawn nearly smiled in triumph but instead he allowed his voice to show no emotion. The man was nearly his.

“What then does it matter now? Who are they but traitors and liars? Both knew where you were and neither came to your rescue. Now here you stand in my hands, the last resource you have and all I ask is that you make a simple statement.”

“What?” Han asked dejectedly.

“Surrender.” Thrawn nearly purred. “You will ask them to lay down their arms and in exchange you will live and so will they. I merely want hostilities to end.”

Khan stood stoically to the side completely and totally unconvinced by this tactic. Kirk was weak, yes, in his own way but to think that he would lay down his arms over this blind wretch or that any of them in this grand glorious battle would even pause for a moment over a single man was inconceivable. What was the Grand Admiral thinking with this maneuver?

Khan casually rubbed the side of his nose twice. Three stormtroopers watching over him stiffened slightly then slowly switched their blasters to kill with a thumb stroke as they surreptitiously shifted to their left and positioned themselves behind the other troopers watching the Old Earth superman.

“I can’t do that.” Han protested.

“Even if it meant you would save Captain Ochoa from certain death?” Thrawn’s voice dropped an octave.

“What!?”

“Why else would I bring him on my bridge, Captain Solo? But do we need to be so vulgar? Luke Skywalker is currently out there forging a bloody empire in the name of the Sith and Leia Organna is standing by Kirk’s side. Chewbacca has abandoned you and what is left for you Captain Solo?” Thrawn leaned in closely. “What else do you have to lose?”

“Han, you have everything to lose. I don’t matter, you don’t matter but they do. We are simply pawns on a board but we cannot lose sight of the game.” Ochoa protested.

Han looked down at the floor for a long moment, anguish etched on his face. His shoulders slumped ever so subtly and his breath came out in a long mournful exhalation.

“I think we have an understanding, Captain Solo.” Thrawn nodded. “Communications?”

“Sir!”

Thrawn strode over to his com officer.

“Make sure everyone within 10 light years can see this broadcast and we lift our own jamming when we transmit. I don’t want the rebels to miss this for a moment.” Thrawn dropped his voice slightly. “And make sure you capture Ochoa in the background off to the side. I want Skywalker to see him.”

Khan walked up to Thrawn’s side, several stormtroopers close to him weapons at the ready.

Khan inclined his head indicating his need to speak.

Thrawn seemed pensive for a moment and then nodded dismissively.

“Why?” Khan asked simply.

“You will have to be more specific, Khan.”

“Why this charade? You know as well I do that this means nothing. It is an empty gesture. What do you possibly gain by this?” Khan asked pointedly.

“It must have pained you to admit that you did not see the logic or purpose behind this, did it not?” Thrawn noted with an upturned eyebrow.

Khan frowned.

“Well then imagine what discord I sow among their ranks when Princess Leia discovers her lover in my hands and Kirk’s refusal to surrender is the immediate cause of his death. What will the Wookie do? Stay loyal to Leia? Avenge Captain Solo’s death on Kirk? And Skywalker? What will he do when confronted with the knowledge that he too bears responsibility for the death of a dear friend?”

“You merely want to disorient them, distract them with strong emotions, make them vulnerable, doubt themselves, each other and their own actions? For what? Yet another advantage in a fleet full of them?” Khan seemed genuinely perplexed and annoyed by this tact now that he had knowledge of Thrawn’s intentions. “It is a waste of time, Grand Admiral. Kill them and be done with it. You have a battle unfolding around you that you seem to be forgetting and your fleet is in jeopardy while you hang back here.”

“Khan, you are a brute. I can respect that to a point. But there are finer points to be made here. Should they escape this battle” Khan’s eye brows raised slightly at the passing comment. “they may well fall on each other over this and I will simply need to pick up the pieces. Even if they do not turn on each other the doubts and anger that will flow from this event will echo on in every single decision and action they take from here on in.”

“There is something to be said, Grand Admiral, for the directness of a knife to the throat.” Khan countered. Jerjerrod drifted between the stormtroopers guarding Ochoa and one of them palmed a hold out blaster into Jerjerrod’s sweat slicked hands. He continued his collision course towards Thrawn.

“We shall see.” Thrawn replied coolly then turned to Han and his com officer.

“Shall we begin?”
Last edited by Stravo on 2007-03-27 10:27am, edited 1 time in total.

Johnathon_Chance
Youngling

Post by Johnathon_Chance »

WHoa Awesome!

Oh Cool First post too!!! Thanks Stravo!
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

Possum Lodge Member 2505162435