The Open Door (megacrossover)

UF: Stories written by users, both fanfics and original.

Moderator: LadyTevar

Xon
Sith Acolyte

Re: The Open Door (megacrossover)

Post by Xon »

Academia Nut wrote: But Xon gets half a cookie for being hilarious.
:D

Knowledge is power, and one thing Skuld is not lacking is knowledge. It also helps the Forgotten Realms is hilariously broken and the local laws of physics was setup by a office clerk from the divine equivlent of the secretarial typing pool. :P
And yeah, Skuld is limited to powers she's acquired locally, but the fact is that she, and Lars, simply think differently from the deities in the Forgotten Realms. There's all sorts of things that they think of and know of that the others just don't. Like for example, Skuld took light and turned it into another form of light while still remaining within the confines of 'shadow'.
A per-scientific method mindset if horifically limiting when you start applying complex physics and how to game rulesets.
In fact, the drow should be glad that she's new at this because a black hole would probably 'count as' being part of the purview of shadow.
:shock:
"Okay, I'll have the truth with a side order of clarity." ~ Dr. Daniel Jackson.
"Reality has a well-known liberal bias." ~ Stephen Colbert
"One Drive, One Partition, the One True Path" ~ ars technica forums - warrens - on hhd partitioning schemes.
Alien-Carrot
Youngling

Post by Alien-Carrot »

Gamma rays, being the longest wavelength, would be the "Darkest" available light. Just imagine Gamma Burst neoSkuld Bombs.

BTW, when are you getting to Starcraft? SPAWN MOAR OVERLORDS
2.2E32 joules of planet shattering kaboom
Academia Nut
Sith Devotee

Post by Academia Nut »

You've got it wrong, gamma rays have the shortest wavelength in the electromagnetic spectrum, but yes, they are invisible and thus 'dark' which is why Skuld used them and microwaves in her nasty little spell.
I love learning. Teach me. I will listen.
You know, if Christian dogma included a ten-foot tall Jesus walking around in battle armor and smashing retarded cultists with a gaint mace, I might just convert - Noble Ire on Jesus smashing Scientologists
Skyfox120
Youngling

Post by Skyfox120 »

I just recalled something... Tyr is a FR god that appeared from outside the sphere of influence of Toril.... and is also tehcniclaly a Norse god.... and also pretty much the only god in cannon who questioned Ao (and got blinded for it)

A thought occurs to me. Tyr is perhaps a AMG! Tyr? who went earlier in search of Ao, or for some reason went through the Warp to the AD&D-verse... but since hte passageway was unstable, came thorugh rather injured.. allowing Ao to trap Tyr in his framework.. and lord it over Tyr just like any Office Weenie who suddenly got power over one of the 'bigwigs' they are jealous and hate...

Which raises interesting questions as to what will happen when Skuld and Tyr meet (Or if Ao will go through ridicilous lengths ot make sure they DON'T meet.. as he doesn't want Odin to find out what he's been doing to Tyr.)
Valorie
Youngling

Post by Valorie »

Skyfox120's idea Ao going to ridicilous lengths to make sure TYR and Skuld don't meet is a classic "Saved by the Bell" recipe for disaster that's too entertaining NOT to consider doing.

Depending on how "the Sundering" went down, perhaps Odin Almighty wanted Tyr out of the way, either exiled or dead, as the Norse god of War would be far too noble to consider making deals with Hild/Satan, and would openly oppose the Dublet System. Odin Almight was faced with the extinction of his people, and would've done many dark deeds "for the greater good." Remember, old-school Odin was a benevolent tyrant who wasn't afraid to punish those who questioned his will.

To paraphrase Harvey Dent: "You either die a hero or live long enough to see yourself become a villain," a sentiment Tyr would agree with.
WillowBee
Youngling

Post by WillowBee »

Valorie wrote:Depending on how "the Sundering" went down, perhaps Odin Almighty wanted Tyr out of the way, either exiled or dead, as the Norse god of War would be far too noble to consider making deals with Hild/Satan, and would openly oppose the Dublet System.
:twisted: Kind of creepy how much sense such a plan seems to make. We're seeing Machievellian schemes everywhere!
Skyfox120
Youngling

Post by Skyfox120 »

Valorie wrote: Odin Almight was faced with the extinction of his people, and would've done many dark deeds "for the greater good." Remember, old-school Odin was a benevolent tyrant who wasn't afraid to punish those who questioned his will.
Well it might be good to caveat that some could also interpret Old-school Odin as "For the greater good.... of Odin..."

*HUms as he turnsback to his copy of "Pyramid Power" by Eric Flint and Dave Freer "
Academia Nut
Sith Devotee

Post by Academia Nut »

People who are better than art than I am, easy request being thrown out. I want a picture of the new Chaos symbol. It is to incorporate elements of all four 40k factions that went into the creation of new Chaos. The primary contributors are to be the Imperium and Chaos, but there will be bits from the Eldar and Orks.

Generally outline is this: Take an eight pointed star of Chaos. Hack off the top three points so you have two horizontal bars, two downward pointing forty-five degree points, and one downward pointing vertical point. Lengthen the right forty-five degree point a bit, so that it is longer than the left one but not as long as the right. Now, on top of the Chaos star, put an Imperial Aquila, of sorts. Remove the curves and segments so that it is one solid piece and highly angular. Still not sure if the ends of the feathers should become pointed or not, but probably not. Then, on the left head of the aquila, place an Eldar eye. For one or both of the beaks, make them jagged looking like ork tusks. If only one beak is made jagged, put it on the right beak to balance out the eye on the left head.

I hope that's enough description to get your fertile imaginations running in the right direction, and here are examples of the elements to be used.

Also, I don't think I've posted these pictures here yet.

Lars

Gunnhild
You know, if Christian dogma included a ten-foot tall Jesus walking around in battle armor and smashing retarded cultists with a gaint mace, I might just convert - Noble Ire on Jesus smashing Scientologists
Agent Sorchus
Jedi Master

Post by Agent Sorchus »

Like This? ( Thanks To my Brother and his photobucket account)

EDIT: Will Try and get a colored image up later tonight. any suggestions on Colors?
the engines cannae take any more cap'n
warp 9 to shroomland ~Dalton
Academia Nut
Sith Devotee

Post by Academia Nut »

Not bad, although not at all what I had in mind. The lower half of the Chaos star is supposed to basically replace the legs of the aquila and the wings should be segmented into feathers more, like in the Imperial Aquila and the only interior lines should be for the Eldar eye and the ork teeth. Still, not a bad first attempt. It kind of looks like the Aquila has been crucified on the half Chaos star, which doesn't quite capture the unity of purpose the symbol is supposed to capture.

Basically, if found in canon 40k, this symbol should cause Chaos, the Imperium, and the Eldar to all have conniptions from the sullying of their symbols. The Orks are obviously exempt as they don't really react to that sort of thing anyway.
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

My attempt, I couldn't find a great Eldar eye to incorporate into the Aquila but I tried.
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."
-George Carlin (1937-2008)

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
Academia Nut
Sith Devotee

Post by Academia Nut »

Well, you got the basic shape at least, even if it is a bit... uhh... choppy and the proportions are completely messed up. But yeah, that's the sort of thing I'm looking for, an integration of the icons of the 40k factions that draw on the warp.
D1398342003
Redshirt

Post by D1398342003 »

First post! I've been reading this story and Thousand Shinji for a while, they're awesome. I figured I'd give the new Star of Chaos a try.

Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Academia Nut wrote:Well, you got the basic shape at least, even if it is a bit... uhh... choppy and the proportions are completely messed up. But yeah, that's the sort of thing I'm looking for, an integration of the icons of the 40k factions that draw on the warp.
I know it's choppy, but I had to scale up the sizes from small images as best I could and try to make them black and white, if I had Illustrator you would have had something far more crisp.

It's hard for me trying to figure out what porportions you want from the description you gave.

I like D1398342003's though, i'd like it better if he had a readl username :p
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
D1398342003
Redshirt

Post by D1398342003 »

1398342003 is my username for almost every forum I sign up for. I just decided to add the D this time. Although I once used snthsnth :p
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

I'm just gonna call you D-Numbers

Academia Nut
Sith Devotee

Post by Academia Nut »

Much closer D, although the proportions are still off from what I had in mind. I didn't really want to do this, but I present to you my own crudely drawn, incomplete version. The wings and body are all wrong and I'm still not sure of the ork tusks, but it should give some idea of what I am shooting at. Neither the aquila body nor the chaos star should be significantly larger than the other, although the aquila will probably occupy more overall area. And yes, the downward right pointing arm of the star is the correct size, even if the proportions everywhere else are all messed up.

Bonus, how I vaguely picture Lars' face when he's in combat mode. It's a bit cartoonish, but it captures the broad strokes.

Agent Sorchus
Jedi Master

Post by Agent Sorchus »

The Revised Edition
Academia Nut
Sith Devotee

Post by Academia Nut »

Nice. There's a keeper. Still not quite what I want, but much closer to the image I have in my head. The aquila heads could do with a touch more angular stylization as right now they are perhaps a touch to realistic. That image could certainly though be an in-universe stylized version though. I'm looking for the sort of thing that could possibly go on a stamp for official documents sort of thing in the way its constructed.

Also, just to be clear, I appreciate all of your work and I really don't want to sound like some sort of preening premadonna who doesn't accept anything that isn't perfect. I just want it to look right so others can see what I see in my mind.
Agent Sorchus
Jedi Master

Post by Agent Sorchus »

About the Realism => yeah i draw birds for fun and is hard for me to get away from the realistic mode of drawing. I was thinking of the look more as a military medal than a simple stamp or flag.

8) But the praise is definitely welcome

Edit for Reference right head came out as one of a falcon beak, left is a hawk's
Academia Nut
Sith Devotee

Post by Academia Nut »

If I had to say, I would suggest transferring a slight modification of the heads I used on mine and perhaps altering the lengths of the two diagonal arms on the star a little and it would be really, really freaking close to what I have in my head.

Also, I'm going to need erinyes for the next chapter. Female readers can volunteer names and some traits for the seductive fallen warriors of the Nine Hells if they so wish.
D1398342003
Redshirt

Post by D1398342003 »

Academia Nut wrote:If I had to say, I would suggest transferring a slight modification of the heads I used on mine and perhaps altering the lengths of the two diagonal arms on the star a little and it would be really, really freaking close to what I have in my head.

Also, I'm going to need erinyes for the next chapter. Female readers can volunteer names and some traits for the seductive fallen warriors of the Nine Hells if they so wish.
Like this?

Academia Nut
Sith Devotee

Post by Academia Nut »

Hmmm... well, the only modification I see is a slight alterting of the lengths of the arms and a lowering of detail in the beaks, but that is getting a touch closer.

Also, to give credit where credit is due, the artist of the Lars and Gunnhild pics can be found here. He is looking for commissions and such.
Formless
Sith Marauder

Post by Formless »

I doubt it. You removed detail from the beaks, but I think he meant that the basic shape of the heads should be different, more cartoon-ish (?). That is going to take a little more than a quick photoshop of AS's drawing.

Edit: and Academia Nut removes all doubt. :)
"Still, I would love to see human beings, and their constituent organ systems, trivialized and commercialized to the same extent as damn iPods and other crappy consumer products. It would be absolutely horrific, yet so wonderful." — Shroom Man 777
"To Err is Human; to Arrr is Pirate." — Skallagrim
“I would suggest "Schmuckulating", which is what Futurists do and, by extension, what they are." — Commenter "Rayneau"
The Magic Eight Ball Conspiracy.
D1398342003
Redshirt

Post by D1398342003 »

Oh, I get what you mean. I thought you meant lower detail, my bad.
That is going to take a little more than a quick photoshop of AS's drawing.
I was trying to get the idea of the shape in my head, and I didn't want to completely butcher AS's drawing.