The Open Door (megacrossover)

UF: Stories written by users, both fanfics and original.

Moderator: LadyTevar

Setesh
Jedi Master

Re: The Open Door (megacrossover)

Post by Setesh »

JGregory32 wrote:If not that could we please get a cammeo of Space Battleship Yamato somewhere?
My brain just locked up at the thought of the Stiletto bringing Wave Motion technology back with them.
"Nobody ever inferred from the multiple infirmities of Windows that Bill Gates was infinitely benevolent, omniscient, and able to fix everything. " Argument against god's perfection.

My Snow's art portfolio.
Robo Jesus
Padawan Learner

Post by Robo Jesus »

God dammit, why do we even try to help you out by fixing your spelling and grammar errors when you just ignore us completely and utterly? Well?
This is sickening... You sound like chapters from a self-help booklet! Prepare yourselves!
Academia Nut
Sith Devotee

Post by Academia Nut »

Unknot your knickers Robo Jesus, it wasn't malice on my part that caused me to forget that you made those suggestions, it has to do with how I tend to post the chapters. I tend to post them late at night where I am and thus when I wake up in the morning I have to go to university and thus I don't have time to look at comments from the night before while I have the master copy on hand. Thus I lose your post in the conversation and it completely slips your mind that you even pointed out those errors at all. I'm not actively ignoring you, so relax. Your suggestions were on page 24, my first reply after that was on page 25, and we're currently on 26 so things got lost in the shuffle. I've already corrected the FF.net copy.
I love learning. Teach me. I will listen.
You know, if Christian dogma included a ten-foot tall Jesus walking around in battle armor and smashing retarded cultists with a gaint mace, I might just convert - Noble Ire on Jesus smashing Scientologists
Xon
Sith Acolyte

Post by Xon »

That type of stuff is really what PMs are for anyway, as it is much easier to keep track of the stuff.
"Okay, I'll have the truth with a side order of clarity." ~ Dr. Daniel Jackson.
"Reality has a well-known liberal bias." ~ Stephen Colbert
"One Drive, One Partition, the One True Path" ~ ars technica forums - warrens - on hhd partitioning schemes.
Robo Jesus
Padawan Learner

Post by Robo Jesus »

Academia Nut wrote:Unknot your knickers Robo Jesus, it wasn't malice on my part that caused me to forget that you made those suggestions, it has to do with how I tend to post the chapters.
Deliberate malice would have been preferable, because at least then you know the other guy was at least trying to do what he did. =(

Anyways, here's a picture of two kittens to sooth any ruffled feathers.

This is sickening... You sound like chapters from a self-help booklet! Prepare yourselves!
Academia Nut
Sith Devotee

Post by Academia Nut »

Well, if it had been deliberate malice then there would have been less 'whoops, sorry' and more 'MWAHAHAHAHAHA! I ignore your puny suggestions and constraints of grammar!'
You know, if Christian dogma included a ten-foot tall Jesus walking around in battle armor and smashing retarded cultists with a gaint mace, I might just convert - Noble Ire on Jesus smashing Scientologists
Singular Quartet
Sith Marauder

Post by Singular Quartet »

Setesh wrote:
JGregory32 wrote:If not that could we please get a cammeo of Space Battleship Yamato somewhere?
My brain just locked up at the thought of the Stiletto bringing Wave Motion technology back with them.
That, and regenerative structures. Imagine Stilleto being able to move all shots to the third bridge, and then be able to regrow the 3rd bridge between battles like the Yamato can?

Yes, I know it's all because it's a edited movie made from a huge show.
Setesh
Jedi Master

Post by Setesh »

Singular Quartet wrote:That, and regenerative structures. Imagine Stilleto being able to move all shots to the third bridge, and then be able to regrow the 3rd bridge between battles like the Yamato can?

I was more concerned because of how the 'Wave Motion Gun' works. It takes all the power on the ship, compresses it in a tachyon matrix chamber and throws it at the target in a less than stable blast of pure energy. With the obscene power s2 and s3 engines are capable of this thing could kill a solar system.

p.s. can't they already 're-grow' some of the more deamon invested bits of the ship anyway, as long as the deamon is still there.
"Nobody ever inferred from the multiple infirmities of Windows that Bill Gates was infinitely benevolent, omniscient, and able to fix everything. " Argument against god's perfection.

My Snow's art portfolio.
Singular Quartet
Sith Marauder

Setesh wrote:
Singular Quartet wrote:That, and regenerative structures. Imagine Stilleto being able to move all shots to the third bridge, and then be able to regrow the 3rd bridge between battles like the Yamato can?

I was more concerned because of how the 'Wave Motion Gun' works. It takes all the power on the ship, compresses it in a tachyon matrix chamber and throws it at the target in a less than stable blast of pure energy. With the obscene power s2 and s3 engines are capable of this thing could kill a solar system.
A point, I suppose. Especially in some of the higher-energy universes. I'd almost be terrified if the Culture got a hold of one, as then they could mount grid-fire equivalent weapons on OUs, rather than just use them as strategic weapons on SVs.
p.s. can't they already 're-grow' some of the more deamon invested bits of the ship anyway, as long as the deamon is still there.
Only the biological bits. Any structural damage (such as loss of the third bridge, for example) would have to be dealt with the normal way (e.g. drydock, damage control teams, etc. etc.)
Academia Nut
Sith Devotee

Post by Academia Nut »

One thing to point out is that Wave Motion Gun technology may be incompatible with the higher output generators other universes use due to the fact that the hardware simply cannot take the strain the extra load would put on it. For example, the capacitors.

Still, not a bad idea to think about.
JGregory32
Padawan Learner

Post by JGregory32 »

Code: Select all

One thing to point out is that Wave Motion Gun technology may be incompatible with the higher output generators other universes use due to the fact that the hardware simply cannot take the strain the extra load would put on it. For example, the capacitors.
Wouldn't higher output generators make it more efficent as a weapons becasue you can fire more shots, fire faster, or do other things while in the charging phase?
Also if you have higher output generators then couldn't you actually use a physically smaller generator to achieve the same energy output and therefor make the Wave Motion Gun technology more effective?
Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Ian Malcolm: God creates dinosaurs. God destroys dinosaurs. God creates man. Man destroys God. Man creates dinosaurs.
Ellie Sattler: Dinosaurs eat man … woman inherits the earth.
Jurassic Park
Setesh
Jedi Master

Post by Setesh »

They never actually found a limit to the capacity of the Wave Motion Gun, it could take every joule of power on the Yamato, its only theoretical limit is the materials its made out of. They were a little desperate when they put it into service, hell the first time they fired it the expected it to destroy a base on the 'floating continent the Gamlions put in jupiter orbit. The beam was extremely unstable throwing off a lot of excess energy, and the blast was so massive they nearly got caught in it. The entire continent was atomized, much to their shock. In a later ep they turned the recoil negator off and the ship shot backwards faster than its drive engines could move it.

JGregory32 is a bit more into what I was thinking, they could power a standard one with just s2/s3 engines without the powerloss the Yamato suffered, or even build a ship that had several.

My Snow's art portfolio.
Deadpan29
Redshirt

Post by Deadpan29 »

Well, if we are throwing in suggestions for over-the-top-awsome, this may have been brought up at some point but I just bought the series so I have to throw it in:

Gurren Langann.

WHO THE HELL DO YOU THINK WE ARE CHAOS?
Deadpan29
Redshirt

Post by Deadpan29 »

Upon furthur consideration, a stop in that universe is unlikely for the Stiletto, as they are going through lower-energy cosims while the TTGL universe is most definately a high-energy place. Likewise, the four gods may feel they are not quite ready to mess with something like that.
Singular Quartet
Sith Marauder

Deadpan29 wrote:Upon furthur consideration, a stop in that universe is unlikely for the Stiletto, as they are going through lower-energy cosims while the TTGL universe is most definately a high-energy place. Likewise, the four gods may feel they are not quite ready to mess with something like that.
They're avoiding their own power level like the plague. Every uni they've hit has been someone way below their tech level.

A universe I could see a stop-over in would be Soukou no Strain, which has no FTL ships, but does have a light-speed drive of some kind. And aliens that can travel beyond light speed. And giant robots. Giant robots are always cool.
Aranfan
Padawan Learner

Post by Aranfan »

Here's a scary thought, the Xeelee-verse is probably pretty low on the "energy gradient".
Academia Nut
Sith Devotee

Post by Academia Nut »

No, any universe home to guys capable of what the Xeelee do is not low energy.
Aranfan
Padawan Learner

Post by Aranfan »

Academia Nut wrote:No, any universe home to guys capable of what the Xeelee do is not low energy.
I'm pretty sure that nothing in the Xeelee-verse is physically impossible under our current understanding of physics. It's just that the Xeelee are Kardashev VII or something like that. As you said, just because a universe is in a specific place in the "energy gradient" doesn't mean that those lower down can't match them, the lowerdown culture just has to be much more advanced.
Academia Nut
Sith Devotee

Post by Academia Nut »

I'm fairly certain that creating pocket universes and gathering up enough energy to create a gravity well sufficient to partially stop the expansion of the universe so that you can punch a hole into another reality aren't part of our current understanding of physics.
Aranfan
Padawan Learner

Post by Aranfan »

I can't say about your first example, but I'm pretty sure that the second one is covered by General Relativity.
Academia Nut
Sith Devotee

Post by Academia Nut »

Simply put, it is impossible to build the Great Attractor without ridiculously fast FTL or ridiculously thermodynamics breaking energy generation because in order to start drawing in other galaxies via gravity you would need to harvest the mass of many thousands of other galaxies to get the effect, as compressing the mass of a single galaxy into its core would not effect its ability to cause gravitational attraction. Just like how if we collapsed the entire mass of the sun into a black hole we would not notice any gravitation effects in our solar system. It's the same mass and thus the same force.
Aranfan
Padawan Learner

Post by Aranfan »

The Xeelee have FTL. Baxter just threw out Causality instead of Relativity
JGregory32
Padawan Learner

Post by JGregory32 »

I was working on something else when I was struck by a great ide.
Agatha Hetrodyne Girl Genius gets invited aboard the Stilleto and starts tinkering.
Can we say god damm scary? This is the girl who invented a freaking time machine in a steampunk setting. Also she makes coffee machines which allow you to see god :twisted:
Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Ian Malcolm: God creates dinosaurs. God destroys dinosaurs. God creates man. Man destroys God. Man creates dinosaurs.
Ellie Sattler: Dinosaurs eat man … woman inherits the earth.
Jurassic Park
Crayz9000
Sith Apprentice

Post by Crayz9000 »

Dare I even ask what the chances of Arthur Dent showing up are?
A Tribute to Stupidity: The Robert Scott Anderson Archive (currently offline)
John Hansen - Slightly Insane Bounty Hunter - ASVS Vets' Assoc. Class of 2000
HAB Cryptanalyst | WG - Intergalactic Alliance and Spoof Author | BotM | Cybertron | SCEF
Setesh
Jedi Master

Post by Setesh »

JGregory32 wrote:I was working on something else when I was struck by a great ide.
Agatha Hetrodyne Girl Genius gets invited aboard the Stilleto and starts tinkering.
Can we say god damm scary? This is the girl who invented a freaking time machine in a steampunk setting. Also she makes coffee machines which allow you to see god :twisted:
I can go one worse, imagine Reigle acquiring a new infection, S.R.M.D from 'A Miracle of Science'. The ability to generate insanely brilliant Mad Scientists on a whim. The worst part is this 'disease' is it's just an infectious meme. And anyone with a genius range IQ and a grasp of scientific principles can 'catch' it.

*Science Related Memetic Disorder

My Snow's art portfolio.