The Thirteenth Tribe (nBSG/SG Crossover)

UF: Stories written by users, both fanfics and original.

Moderator: LadyTevar

Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Re: The Thirteenth Tribe (nBSG/SG Crossover)

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

Back again :)

Plans Derailed
Warstar
Nemesis Fleet Operations Centre

The distinctive spatial distortion and visual anomalies of an FTL jump faded away. Jellicoe was standing at the main plotting table, keeping an eye on the formation. Around him, his battle staff went about their duties with quiet efficiency – he had managed to shanghai the entire Fleet Ops staff from the Lionheart for this mission, given their prior experience at Terra. He’d even managed to borrow Captain Mace to serve as his Chief of Staff. Lethbridge-Stewart hadn’t been too pleased about it but Jellicoe had argued very persuasively.

“Jump 84 completed, all ships in formation. Victorious and Excalibur launching CAP now” reported one officer. Jellicoe just nodded. Eighty four jumps, each covering twenty five thousand light-years. Even that stupendous distance had become routine after so many jumps.

“Very well. Signal the Asgard ships, they’re clear to proceed to coordinates for jump 85.”

Instead of replying in the affirmative, his Comms officer turned to face him. “Sir, we’re receiving a subspace signal from Atlantis, priority one.”

The Admiral frowned, this was inevitably going to be bad news. “Very well, put it through. Have the Daniel Jackson remain with us and ask Thor to come aboard, I have a feeling he’ll want to see this. Send the battleships on ahead to the waypoint.”

His officers went about their jobs while Jellicoe and Mace turned to face the holo-communicator, another gift from the Asgard. It flared into life, producing three-dimensional images of General O’Neill and Doctor Weir. There was a flash of light and Thor beamed in to stand next to Jellicoe, completed the impromptu Council of War.

Jellicoe spoke first. “General, Doctor, what’s gone wrong?”

O’Neill and Weird exchanged a look. Either Jellicoe was prescient, or just extremely cynical. They both felt it was likely the latter.

”Our deep space sensors have detected a change in Wraith movements. Three Cruisers have broken off from the main force and are heading here at best speed. They’ll arrive in two days.” Jack neatly summarised the situation.

Mace grumbled under his breath, before looking at the Admiral. “Recon element?”

Jellicoe nodded. “It’s how I’d do it. Keep the enemy under surveillance, keep them on alert and help tire them out. And sit out of range of ground fire, letting the enemy know they can’t stop what’s coming.”
Mace scowled again. “Looks like our ambush plan is a bust, no way we’ll be able to kill every ship without word getting back. Guess it’s back to going in guns blazing.”

Doctor Weir’s hologram spoke up. ”I know I’m not a soldier, but if we know where they’re dropping out of hyperspace, can’t we catch them then?”

Jellicoe looked thoughtful before shaking his head. “No such luck, with only twenty Cobras and a handful of Jumpers there’s just no way you could take those Cruisers out with what you have available. And we can’t push our jump cycle any faster, so we’re still a week away. The only ships I have that can get there in time are the Asgard, and we need to keep at least two with the Task Force for jump calculations. If these Wraith are smart, they’ll spread out so that even an Asgard battleship can’t take them all out at once.”

O’Neill spoke. "The Asgard ships have effective cloaking devices, almost as good as those on the Jumpers here. I think you should still send one ship on ahead to join us, we could use the flexibility.”

Thor nodded approvingly, before moving some stones around on his chair. “I agree General. I have sent the Samantha Carter to Atlantis at best speed, she should arrive in 37 hours.”

”Hold it, I’ve got an idea!” The voice came from somewhere behind O’Neill and Weir, and was unmistakeably that of Rodney McKay, in full “I’m a genius” mode no less. The General, the Doctor, the Admiral and the Captain all rolled their eyes. Even Thor looked slightly agitated. McKay may have a brilliant mind, but his social skills left much to be desired.

Weir looked at him tolerantly as he stepped into view of the holo-comm system. ”Yes Rodney?

”We need to take out those cruisers? At least one of them will pass within range of the last Lagrangian point weapons satellite. It’s meant to carve up Hive Ships so Cruisers should be child’s play. With an Asgard ship on hand we can get out there, get it operational, take out one or two cruisers and then you’ve got only one left to worry about.” Somehow, Rodney had gotten all of that out in one breath.

The others exchanged thoughtful looks. Jellicoe spoke up. “I see no reason not to at least attempt it. With the Samantha Carter on hand you can get to the satellite fast enough that if it won’t work you can return to the city before the Wraith arrive. Ok, go ahead and get everything ready. As soon as the Asgard arrive, get to work.”

Rodney nodded before turning and running off, already calling up Zelenka on his radio with a list of parts and tools needed. The others returned to their discussion. Jellicoe was still pessimistic.

“Even with an Asgard ship and that weapons satellite, if the Wraith are even remotely smart they’ll be able to send word that we’ve whacked their recon screen. So total surprise is out the window. But, tactical surprise is still an option. We’ll hide the Task Force around a gas giant in the next system over, then we can jump in guns blazing once the main Wraith force reaches the system.”

O’Neill smiled approvingly. “Any chance I can join you on your Warstar for that Admiral? I got a hankering to see that superlaser fire.”

Jellicoe smiled knowingly. “Sorry Jack, but here in Fleet Ops we don’t have a window. You’d get a better view watching on the sensors from Atlantis.” He became serious again. “I’m afraid that this is going to be bloodier than we planned. I can’t guarantee we’ll stop every Dart and Cruiser trying to slip by while we engage the Hives. I want you to have your shield raised as soon as the Wraith get within half a light-year of the city.”

The two Earth leaders nodded grimly. It was going to be a long two days.

Asgard Battleship Samantha Carter
Near Lagrangian Point Weapons Satellite,
Two Days Later

There was a small group gathered on the battleship’s bridge. McKay, Peter Groden, Zelenka and the ship’s Captain, Tyr. Their attention was divided between the long-range sensors, the view of the darkened and powered-down satellite weapon, and a countdown timer.

Groden broke the silence. “Two minutes.”

Rodney stopped his anxious pacing to glare at the other man, then turned his glare on the sensor display. Zelenka merely sighed at this colleague’s antics, while Tyr kept his calm, unblinking gaze on his controls.
The huge spindly weapon satellite hung in space. It had been successfully reactivated with the aid of a small Asgard power generator. Some circuitry had needed repairing, but the small team was confident the weapon would fire at least once. Since then, it had been powered down to standby mode to avoid arousing suspicion, while the huge battleship was hiding under its sophisticated cloaking system. The system had its own limitations – it wasn’t possible to fire weapons while cloaked and shields had to be deactivated to prevent the increased power drain being detectable.

The two minutes went by at a rate that seemed both agonisingly slowly and terrifyingly fast. It reached zero just as the sensor display showed three widely-separated hyperspace windows opening. Alarmingly, they each disgorged a Wraith Cruiser as well as a small group of transports and shuttles, which immediately peeled away from the larger ships, spreading out as wide as possible to provide as big a sensor picture as possible.

Tyr studied the situation for half a second before speaking. His voice was noticeably deeper than Thor’s, enough to make it easy to tell the two identical-looking beings apart.

“The Wraith vessels are spread out far enough that we cannot engage more than one at once, either with the weapons satellite, our own weapons, or the nuclear devices you brought aboard to be beamed into the enemy ships.”

Rodney looked annoyed while Groden and Zelenka just looked resigned. The Asgard continued.

“If I am correct in my analysis, the smaller transports that have deployed serve a dual purpose; they will act as both sensor pickets and messenger ships. Any attack on one or more of the Cruisers will see at least one transport return the main Wraith fleet, to inform them of our defences.”

Rodney looked even more annoyed. “I didn’t think the Wraith would be this paranoid.”

Tyr fixed him with his alien gaze. “The Wraith are by now aware that you are in control of Atlantis. They know the defences of the city. They are also aware of the cloaking devices on your “jumpers,” even if they cannot detect them. Spreading out their ships to limit damage from a surprise attack from cloaked vessels is an eminently sensible strategy.”

Zelenka, who despite the months of time around soldiers, did not possess a military mind himself yet. “Why do you say that?”

“It is what I would do.” He looked back at his controls. “The first Cruiser will enter the satellites engagement range in twenty seconds. The other two Cruisers will not enter weapons range without a drastic course change. I am preparing to fire the weapon.”

Within the satellite, systems reawakened. Power flowed from the new generator into a capacitor, building power for a ship-killing shot. With a small target charging the weapon took only a few seconds.

Tyr spoke again. “Firing.” The three humans turned to see the sight.

A brilliant green beam stabbed out from the satellite’s weapon emitters, crossing the distance to the target cruiser in the blink of an eye. The beam met virtually no resistance, cutting the cruiser in half right down its centreline. The beam carried on, fortuitously obliterating a transport that was in precisely the wrong place.

The newly-bisected cruiser died an impressive death. The two halves drifted away from each other while being consumed by secondary explosions, until finally one of the primary reactors detonated, removing all but the faintest trace of the ship.

The reaction was immediate. Both remaining Cruisers turned away, putting even more distance between them and the satellite while each launched their Darts, five hundred in total. A sizeable force, as many as a hundred, headed immediately for the weapons satellite, one group approaching from each Cruiser. Another group of fifty stayed around each cruiser, beginning elaborate patrol patterns.

The remaining three hundred, in two groups, began a full speed run towards the planet, and more specifically, Atlantis. Tyr likewise manoeuvred his ship in an evasive pattern. It was still cloaked of course, and there was no sign that the Wraith had detected them, but Tyr had not served for thousands of years in the Asgard Fleet without a healthy dose of self-preservation.

It would take several minutes for the Darts to reach the satellite, but everyone aboard the Asgard ship knew that the satellite was a lost cause. It was built to annihilate Hive ships in rapid succession, but tis weapon was far too imprecise to deal with a swarm of Darts. None of the humans, or Tyr knew that this is exactly how the other Lagrangian point satellites had been destroyed during the Siege of Atlantis.

They could not even race the Darts back to the planet without giving away their position. All they could do was send an urgent warning to the city to prepare their defences. What was worse was the sight of three Wraith transports turning away and vanishing into hyperspace. The secret was out.

======

-Like I said, I fully intend on having the Wraith fight smart. It's a bit of a challenge to juggle in my head, having each side needing to fight smart without giving them out-of-character knowledge. Good thing I've done enough RPG's in my time to be used to it.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
fnord
Jedi Knight

Post by fnord »

So O'Neill has to wait a bit longer to see his beloved big honkin' space guns let rip, but perhaps not as long as we were originally led to believe.

I'm not sure if the Wraith will speed their main fleet up to beat the Combined Fleet (they shouldn't know that it's coming) - E_F's good enough to write it any of the three ways. Wraith first, Jellicoe's mob first, or for more fun, same time.
A mad person thinks there's a gateway to hell in his basement. A mad genius builds one and turns it on. - CaptainChewbacca
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

That's going to come down to a coin toss. Literally, if I've got two possible options that I could write equally well I flip a coin.

To elaborate a little on why the Wraith, in this version, are fighting so clever, consider that they're going into this battle with even less info than Jellicoe is. This is what they know:

1. They've woken early fromt heir slumber and will soon deplete available food supplies too quickly
2. They are aware that some particularly aggressive humans have arrived from a place called Earth, in another galaxy, with billions of humans to eat
3. They know these humans are based on Atlantis, their old enemy's final stronghold.

So they send forces. This may even be a splinter faction hoping to steal a march on the other groups and establish a dominant position by controlling Earth and its population.

However, while they know what capabilities Atlantis has, they do not know how much, if any, of those defences are operational, or if the humans have any warships available. Hence the spread-out recon screen. Gather data and report back.

From this, they learn that the humans are able to rep[air and reactivate a powerful weapons platform and detect them coming far enough away to lay a trap. They will also now inevitably learn of Atlantis' air-defence weapons and operational shield.

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
fnord
Jedi Knight

Post by fnord »

Or roll a d6, if you've got 3 choices on arrival time?

If the Wraith nomfleet lobs early, it does sort of set up a fleet-scale Gunship Rescue when Jellicoe et al kick their backdoor in. Atlantis know they're en route, but seconds become awful bloody long when the Wraith have already lobbed.

If the nomfleet arrives last, maybe Frankie's Wild Ride, Round 2, gets proposed and dismissed as "not crazy enough" ? :)
A mad person thinks there's a gateway to hell in his basement. A mad genius builds one and turns it on. - CaptainChewbacca
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Well the coin flip is done, but you'll have to wait and see for the answer :)

Also, I see you updated the TVTropes page :D Wave motion gun indeed.

fnord
Jedi Knight

Post by fnord »

"Wizard" is looking a better and better choice for Wallace's callsign.

As for Nemesis' spinal bang bang, if I've troped it incorrectly, WordofGod it. It sure as hell ain't carrier pigeons.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Wizard is good, but I'm still leaning towards Fireman, for my grandfather.

And yeah, I geuss "Wave Motion Gun" fits. Don't think there's a trope for "big honking space gun."

Incidentally, anyone have any idea what Saul Tigh's callsign was?

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Tigh's callsign was never mentioned on the show. This may be because all his Cylon War experiences were false memories implanted by Cavil. As XO, Kara called him "the old bastard" (as opposed to Adama's "Old Man"), but it's unknown if the pilots followed her example. After his reveal as a Cylon, nothing more was ever said about his faked war experience or his background, because Tigh declared himself fully on the side of Humans, and going to stay that way.

Now, in order to keep the backstory intact, Cavil had to have hacked the Colonial Naval database and added Tigh's information, but I don't know if callsigns are included in that paperwork. If so, knowing Cavil, it'd have been a sly dig at Tigh's Cylon nature in some way or another, like Cavil's quip to Tyrol about not being a Cylon, because "I've not seen you at the secret Cylon meetings".

Don't know if that helps, but maybe I've given you something to run with.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Tandrax218
Padawan Learner

Post by Tandrax218 »

What do you mean by "Fake war record" ?

Wasn't Saul Tigh best friends with Adama and they went through the First Cylon war together?
And if so, that means that Saul fought the Cylons in the first war
fnord
Jedi Knight

Post by fnord »

Old Chrome Dome was a Viper pilot during the first war, iirc, but I can't find a canonical callsign for him. Mullet would not be sufficiently ironic, since he likely would have had a full head of hair at the time (unless he went way of Patrick Stewart).

Some ideas:
Devil
Scarecrow
Genome
Geezer
Scooter
Nightmare
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Thanks LadyTevar, the idea of it being a subtle dig at his Cylon nature is amusing.

Canonically, he served as a deckhand on at least two ships that got boarded by Centurions (as he mentions in "Valley of Darkness" and eventually became a CPO before being recruited as a Viper pilot. That's what the record says anyway.

Hmm...since he was an enlisted chap recruited as a pilot, perhaps "Gunner" or "Greaser" or something else derogatory towards his prior experience.

fnord
Jedi Knight

Post by fnord »

Hang on, I thought you said there was to be "no Final Five bollocks". Has that gone by wayside of making a better story?
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Nope, no Final Five. I'm taking Tigh's "fake" war record as true. Still leaves me those two options for callsigns though.

fnord
Jedi Knight

Post by fnord »

Still damned impressive - from able spacer to battlestar commander. In salute to a sig pic I saw ... ages ago now... "Hobo" ?

How common, comparatively, are such late-entry officers in the TCN? Pre-Fall Colonial Fleet? And their Marine components?
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

I'd imagine such things were rare except as war-emergency things.

Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Update: There won't be any posts this week, despite the improved schedule I've kept for the last month or so - I moved house today and everything is still up in the air. Normal service should resume next week.

Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Still no new post, but I need some suggestions for ship mottos - Galactica already has one, and pending better suggestions Warspite will be using "First in Harm's Way" as it fits her role in the story.

So I need mottos for the Battlestars Pegasus, Victorious, Excalibur and Republic, plus the Warstar Nemesis. Latin mottos are fine, since Latin is apparently derived from Ancient :)

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

I thought the Pegasus had a motto. Can't find anything with a quick Google search tho.
In some Greek legends, Pegasus brought thunder and lightning to Zues for his use by herding stormclouds, so "Bring the Thunder" might be a good one. Other legends stay that fresh water springs sprouted wherever Pegasus touched ground; thus tying him to the Muses as another source of divine inspiration. Make of that what you will.

Victorious: To the Last! (read it with the name in front).

Excalibur. In some legends, the sword was inscribed on both sides with "Take me up" and "Cast me away" (in more poetic wording), to symbolize that the sword was to be used and then given back to the Lady. The older Welsh name, Caliborne, meant "Cut steel" or "Hard Cleft", referring to the sword's strength. Finally, some legends imply that Excalibur was a symbol of "Power Used Justly" or "Power used for Justice". Hope that can lead you somewhere.

Republic: SOO Tempted to use E Pluribus Unam. A variation on "From Many, One" would be amusing, or anything that implies strength from joining together.

Nemesis: "I'm Coming For You!"
Yeah, just kidding there, but Nemesis is the goddess who sent retribution towards those who committed hubris (thinking themselves better than the gods). Another name for her, Adrestia, meant "The Inescapable". Of course, everyone knows that a Nemesis is your rival, the hardest person/thing for you to face and overcome. Again, ideas, but nothing that really strikes me.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
fnord
Jedi Knight

Post by fnord »

My previous suggestions on topic, c. June 2017:
fnord wrote: The battleship HMS Warspite's motto was "Belli dura despicio" (I Despise The Hard Knocks of War) - worth ripping off holus-bolus? Haven't been able to find one for her sister. HMS Barham.

More suggestions:

Pegasus (lifted from SSN-700 USS Dallas) : "First In Harm's Way"
Lionheart (lifted from SSG-76 HMAS Dechaineux): "Ferocious And Fearless"
Barham (lifted from S123 HMS Anson): "Never Give Up Hope" (or maybe, with a touch of irony, "To The Bitter End")
Excalibur (lifted from SSG-74 HMAS Farnscomb): "With Skill And Resolve"
Nemesis: "Nemo me impune lacessit" - None Strike Me With Impunity
I can't come up with anything better for Republic than what LadyTevar has proposed.
Victorious: "Always Ready" - or Semper Paratus
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Ok Pegasus gets "I Bring the Thunder"

Republic gets "From Many, One" though if someone has a Latin version that'd be good. Alternately "United We stand."

Victorious will work with "To The last"

Excalibur can take "Take Me Up" or a version of the name I used in the last STGOD, "She who triumphs"

Nemesis needs some thinking about. Though Una Salus Victus sounds good..."The last hope of the doomed"

Also gonna need a name for a new Colonial Battlestar I'm working with either Valhalla or Cereus.

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Eternal_Freedom wrote: 2017-09-29 03:12pm Ok Pegasus gets "I Bring the Thunder"

Republic gets "From Many, One" though if someone has a Latin version that'd be good. Alternately "United We stand."
What do you think "E Pluribus Unam" means?!?!? :banghead:
e plu·ri·bus u·num
ˌē ˌplo͝orəbəs ˈ(y)o͞onəm
noun
out of many, one (the motto of the US).

Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

I honestly thought it was "We The People."

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Eternal_Freedom wrote: 2017-09-30 04:07pm I honestly thought it was "We The People."
No, that's just the start of the Preamble to the Constitution:
"We the People of the United States, in order to form a more perfect union, establish justice, insure domestic tranquility, provide for the common defense, support the general welfare, and insure the blessings of liberty to ourselves and our posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution of the United States of America."
--- Thank you School House Rock for getting that stuck in my head in the 1970s.

Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

E Pluribus Unum it is. I should probably PM Steve though, since it's his ship and he named it.

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Eternal_Freedom wrote: 2017-09-30 04:59pm E Pluribus Unum it is. I should probably PM Steve though, since it's his ship and he named it.
Of course you know, that will cause O'Neill and the others many snickers