Connection problems on Saturday

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

AdmiralKanos
Lex Animata
Lex Animata

Connection problems on Saturday

Post by AdmiralKanos »

In case you're wondering, the connection problems on Saturday were the result of server overloading. I've asked my ISP to try and figure out whether it was a DOS attack or simply high but non-malicious traffic, but either is possible, since I don't have a dedicated server (I'm using shared hosting).

In any case, there was no server infection and no reconfiguration; the site simply came back up when the traffic attack ceased.

PS. For those spacebattles.com regulars who crowed victory when this forum went down, thanks for verifying that your mentality is precisely what I suspected it to be.

PPS. I haven't said anything about these problems before now because I was out of town for the weekend. Sorry about that, but, well, I do have a life, you know ...
For a time, I considered sparing your wretched little planet Cybertron.
But now, you shall witnesss ... its dismemberment!

"This is what happens when you use trivia napkins for research material"- Sea Skimmer on "Pearl Harbour".
"Do you work out? Your hands are so strong! Especially the right one!"- spoken to Bud Bundy
Anarchist Bunny
Foul, Cruel, and Bad-Tempered Rodent

Re: Connection problems on Saturday

Post by Anarchist Bunny »

AdmiralKanos wrote:PPS. I haven't said anything about these problems before now because I was out of town for the weekend. Sorry about that, but, well, I do have a life, you know ...
:roll:

:P

Anyways... when are you going to be updating the site? Is that upoholstery stuff done, it's been a entire month.
//This Line Blank as of 7/15/07\\
Ornithology Subdirector: SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences
Wiilite
Captain Cyran
Psycho Mini-lop

Post by Captain Cyran »

This is kinda off-topic, but why haven't any additions been made to the main page? Is it because you are too busy with this or some other reason?
Justice League, Super-Villain Carnage "Carnage Rules!" Cult of the Kitten Mew... The Black Mage with The Knife SD.Net Chronicler of the Past Bun Bun is my hero. The Official Verilonitis Vaccinator
Azeron
Village Idiot

Post by Azeron »

I strongly suggest reveiwing your php.ini configuration as well as your dbase config.

I suspect the profromance issue is a problem with a non-optimal php config. (note i didn't say mis-config)
The Biblical God is more evil than any Nazi who ever lived, and Satan is arguably the hero of the Bible. -- Darth Wong, Self Proffessed Biblical Scholar
Nova Andromeda
Jedi Master

Post by Nova Andromeda »

--Out of curiosity what ARE you going to do when this site gets too big and takes up too much band width? Would assistance from site denizens be useful? If so what exactly would be useful (for those of us too ignorant or lazy or busy to figure it out).
Nova Andromeda
MKSheppard
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger

Probably a Denial of Service attack.....

Post by MKSheppard »

That's my gut instinct.......

Even though we may all disagree about shit here, Mike, we're all still
part of the same community here...and we gotta stick together...
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
Azeron
Village Idiot

Post by Azeron »

I doubt it was DOS. The Problem was not endemic of the entire site, just the php boards, and unless this hosting service does php clustered, I doubt it sincerely. It looks to be more like a persistant dbase connections issue/ max connections issue.

That and the script could probably stand to reoptitimized for high traffic capacity as well as some other "enhancements", that requirre some research on the part of the hoster regarding implementation. If you klnow what you are doing, you could speed this site (php part) up 400%
The Biblical God is more evil than any Nazi who ever lived, and Satan is arguably the hero of the Bible. -- Darth Wong, Self Proffessed Biblical Scholar