OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

MKSheppard
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger

Chinese Execution Bus!

Post by MKSheppard »

The mobile execution centre!

I assure you it's quite real; the CARS like eyes and grin are the result of a SA photoshop.

EDIT

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2003/ ... 92598.html

China is equipping its courts with mobile execution vans as it shifts away from the communist system's traditional bullet in the head, towards a more "civilised" use of lethal injection.

Intermediate Courts of the southern province of Yunnan were issued with 18 new execution vans on February 28 and a court official said some have already been used.

"We cannot tell you how many executions so far, otherwise you could work out from the daily rate how many we carry out," the official said.

Chinese authorities keep execution numbers a secret, but Western human rights monitors believe it is about 15,000 a year, more than the rest of the world's judicial executions combined.

The death penalty can apply for serious crimes against the person, armed robbery, drug trafficking, major cases of corruption and political violence.

Many public executions have been held in football stadiums so traditional execution methods are no secret. The condemned criminal is taken by open truck to the execution ground and made to kneel with hands cuffed and head bowed, before being shot in the head. Families who want to reclaim the body are charged for the bullet.

China's legal system allows only one appeal and lawyers say that less than 20 per cent of defendants have professional legal representation. When appeals against the death penalty are rejected, the sentence is carried out immediately, sometimes within hours.

In Yunnan, as well as in the cities of Harbin and Shanghai, death on the road has replaced death row. The execution vans are converted 24-seater buses. The windowless execution chamber at the back contains a metal bed on which the prisoner is strapped down. A police officer presses a button and an automatic syringe plunges a lethal drug into the prisoner's vein. The execution can be watched on a video monitor next to the driver's seat and be recorded if required. Court officials say the lethal drug was devised by researchers at the Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences to meet two criteria: that it causes no sharp pain or emotional upset for the prisoner and that it works within 30 to 60 seconds.

Although the vans cost about 500,000 yuan ($A100,000) each, officials say the method is cheaper and requires less manpower than traditional executions, because land for traditional execution grounds is not cheap. But the main impetus was a law passed in 1995, making lethal injection an alternative to the bullet.

Yunnan officials say most prisoners and their families prefer the injection.

"When they know they can't be pardoned, they accept this method calmly, and have less fear," one official told the Chinese Life Weekly.
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
Joe
Space Cowboy

Post by Joe »

Just wow.

BoTM / JL / MM / HAB / VRWC / Horseman

I'm studying for the CPA exam. Have a nice summer, and if you're down just sit back and realize that Joe is off somewhere, doing much worse than you are.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Are the lights for real? Like, do they have ambulance-style flashing lights to make other drivers clear a path, because there's a State Emergency and somebody needs an EXECUTION? That's just odd.
LongVin
Morally Bankrupt Asshole

Post by LongVin »

Stark wrote:Are the lights for real? Like, do they have ambulance-style flashing lights to make other drivers clear a path, because there's a State Emergency and somebody needs an EXECUTION? That's just odd.
Yeah the sirens are for real.
fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Post by fgalkin »

I love the part where they charge the families for the bullet. We, the center of global capitalism, should do that.

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
Sriad
Sith Devotee

Post by Sriad »

After hearing about SCOTUS hearings on lethal injection in the USA, I'll take the bullet, thank you.

(the article says they use a different drug that they developed, I'm just observing that lethal injection isn't necessarily "more civilized.)
Big Orange
Emperor's Hand

Post by Big Orange »

Kids Show Jingle: "Eric the Magical Bus of Doom. Eric goes from town to town, always rolling, always rolling; who is he going to see today? Fun and adventure, meting out justice the Chinese way! Eric tells kids not to break the law and makes new friends along the way. Eric goes from town to town, always rolling, always rolling; new adventures to be found. Eric the Magical Bus of Doom!" :) :twisted:
Julhelm
Jedi Master

Post by Julhelm »

I prefer the old german variant which was a truck with the exhaust led into the cargo compartment.
Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ford Prefect »

You know, China might not yet be at the level of 'haha oh wow' as Soviet Russia under Comrade Stalin, but they're getting damn close.
What is Project Zohar?

Here's to a certain mostly harmless nutcase.
Wicked Pilot
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Wicked Pilot »

I know this is kinda sick but I wonder what kind of new verses one could come up with for the old 'wheels on bus' song.
The most basic assumption about the world is that it does not contradict itself.
felineki
Infantile Brat

Post by felineki »

Wicked Pilot wrote:I know this is kinda sick but I wonder what kind of new verses one could come up with for the old 'wheels on bus' song.
The needles on the bus go stab, stab, stab.
Stab, stab, stab.
Stab, stab, stab.
The needles on the bus go stab, stab, stab.
All through the town!
I'm a trolling moron and my E-mail is mbiddinger@mchsi.com
Oni Koneko Damien
Sith Marauder

Post by Oni Koneko Damien »

My pardon should be here soon,
Be here soon,
Be here soon,
My pardon should be here soon,
All th..*bang!*

I feel somehow lesser after saying that.
Gaian Paradigm: Because not all fantasy has to be childish crap.
Ephemeral Pie: Because not all role-playing has to be shallow.
My art: Because not all DA users are talentless emo twits.
"Phant, quit abusing the He-Wench before he turns you into a caged bitch at a Ren Fair and lets the tourists toss half munched turkey legs at your backside." -Mr. Coffee
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Post by Admiral Valdemar »

I am in awe at Chinese efficiency. Not since the Nazi death camps have we had such compact, pragmatic death programmes carried out.

I really can't picture the bus without the eyes and grin though. It's PSYOPS if anything.
Col. Crackpot
That Obnoxious Guy

Post by Col. Crackpot »

bah! In SOVIET RUSSIA the executed would then be used as fuel. Just beacuse they are dead doesn't mean they are excused from their duties to the state.
"This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we’ll be lucky to live through it.” -Tom Clancy
Talanth
Padawan Learner

Post by Talanth »

I'm sorry but that grin is just desturbing. I think I'm scard for life...

Dyslexic, Bisexual, Hindu Dragon.
CelesKnight
Padawan Learner

Post by CelesKnight »

I find the whole concept strangely humorous, while being utterly sickened at the same time. Anyway, here is another story with a better picture.
ASVS Class of 1997
BotM / HAB / KAC
Lord Zentei
Space Elf Psyker
Location: Ulthwé Craftworld, plotting the downfall of the Imperium.

Post by Lord Zentei »

CelesKnight wrote:I find the whole concept strangely humorous, while being utterly sickened at the same time. Anyway, here is another story with a better picture.
From the article:
(June 15) -- Zhang Shiqiang, known as the Nine-Fingered Devil, first tasted justice at 13. His father caught him stealing and cut off one of Zhang's fingers.
Wow, that must have been conductive to a well-adjusted adolescance. :roll:
CotK <mew> | HAB | JL | MM | TTC | Cybertron

TAX THE CHURCHES! - Lord Zentei TTC Supreme Grand Prophet

And the LORD said, Let there be Bosons! Yea and let there be Bosoms too!
I'd rather be the great great grandson of a demon ninja than some jackass who grew potatos. -- Covenant
Dead cows don't fart. -- CJvR
...and I like strudel! :mrgreen: -- Asuka