Warlock

baldur's gate

Post by Enforcer Talen »

any fans?
This day is Fantastic!
Myers Briggs: ENTJ
Political Compass: -3/-6
DOOMer WoW
"I really hate it when the guy you were pegging as Mr. Worst Case starts saying, "Oh, I was wrong, it's going to be much worse." " - Adrian Laguna
Stravo
Official SD.Net Teller of Tales

Post by Stravo »

Only the BEST Computer RPG EVER!
Wherever you go, there you are.

Ripped Shirt Monkey - BOTMWriter's Guild Cybertron's Finest Justice League
This updated sig brought to you by JME2
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Post by Alyrium Denryle »

I love that game.

But I think Baldurs Gate 2 is better.

Allows me to be a sorcerer(I hate preparing spells.)
GALE Force Biological Agent/
BOTM/Great Dolphin Conspiracy/
Entomology and Evolutionary Biology Subdirector:SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences

There is Grandeur in the View of Life; it fills me with a Deep Wonder, and Intense Cynicism.

Factio republicanum delenda est
Crazy_Vasey
Jedi Council Member

Post by Crazy_Vasey »

ARRRRRGH!

Baldurs Gate is a derivitive piece of trash. I'll taje Fallout over it any day of the week!
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Post by Alyrium Denryle »

How is Baldurs Gate a derivitive piece of trash?

sure it is based on 2nd edition AD&D but the plot is its own and they used there oywn game engine when programming.
GALE Force Biological Agent/
BOTM/Great Dolphin Conspiracy/
Entomology and Evolutionary Biology Subdirector:SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences

There is Grandeur in the View of Life; it fills me with a Deep Wonder, and Intense Cynicism.

Factio republicanum delenda est
Graeme Dice
Jedi Master

Post by Graeme Dice »

Most definetly. You'd get better than single sentence "Me too!" responses if you actually made some kind of statement.
Crazy_Vasey
Jedi Council Member

Post by Crazy_Vasey »

Because it's the same as any one of a billion other RPGs out there.

The plot ain't all that original from what i saw, didn't get very far myself as it was mind numbingly, excruciatingly boring. He starts off as a naive kid and discovers that he has tremendous powers but an evil man kills his foster parent and then he goes after the afore mentions evil man for revenge.

Sound like Star Wars much?

All it needs is a "No Luke, I am your father!" line and it's virtually the same.

The gameplay is hack and slash pure and simple.

You have little choice over the character development short of which class he is, a handicap of the AD&D rules perhaps?

The engine has pretty bitmap graphics. That's about the only good point.

The game was WAY overrated by the magazines and is seen as some type of saviour of the RPG genre.

Nuh-uh.

That was Fallout in 1997 or so.
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

No the last orgional RPG in awhile was none other than Planescape Torment
Now THAT was a fun game if you've ever played it :D

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Tatterdemalion
Padawan Learner

Post by Tatterdemalion »

But... but... Irenicus had a cool voice! (Admittedly that was Baldur's gate 2 which IMO is a far superior game but whatever)

That said Planescape Torment does indeed have a much better and far more origonal plot, with better NPC's to boot. Interface wasn't too hot though. (Just seemed kinda clunky when it came to battles.)
Graeme Dice
Jedi Master

Post by Graeme Dice »

Crazy_Vasey wrote:Because it's the same as any one of a billion other RPGs out there.

The plot ain't all that original from what i saw, didn't get very far myself as it was mind numbingly, excruciatingly boring. He starts off as a naive kid and discovers that he has tremendous powers but an evil man kills his foster parent and then he goes after the afore mentions evil man for revenge.

Sound like Star Wars much?
Your village is dying and needs you to save it. You journey through difficult terrain and eventually save them, then discover a greater menace and destroy that too.

Sound like Fallout much? Sound like any generic story?
The gameplay is hack and slash pure and simple.
I am extremely tired of the people who dismiss games as "hack and slash pure and simple". Fallout, while a great game, rewarded the so-called "simple hack and slash" far more than any other game style.
The game was WAY overrated by the magazines and is seen as some type of saviour of the RPG genre.

Nuh-uh.

That was Fallout in 1997 or so.
For a game to revive a genre it has to sell enough to make other companies also produce the same type. Baldur's Gate did this, Fallout did not.
Crazy_Vasey
Jedi Council Member

Post by Crazy_Vasey »

Your village is dying and needs you to save it. You journey through difficult terrain and eventually save them, then discover a greater menace and destroy that too.

Sound like Fallout much? Sound like any generic story?
You’ll notice that I was responding to someone who said Baldurs Gate had an original plot, it didn’t. Fallouts strength was definitely not in the plot area but I found it far more interesting than the Baldurs Gate style, which felt like I was being funnelled forward on a pre-determined path checking off the points on the plot.
I am extremely tired of the people who dismiss games as "hack and slash pure and simple". Fallout, while a great game, rewarded the so-called "simple hack and slash" far more than any other game style.
Hack and slash is easier, it is by definition but there is no requirement to play it like that. Albeit it is slightly easier not to in the sequel with the improved NPCs who you can use for much of the combat work.

Most of the quests in the game have non violent solutions and this is one of the few games where there is no need to level up your character incessantly to face the next big bad boss, hell the last boss type person can be defeated without any combat if your character is played that way.

For a game to revive a genre it has to sell enough to make other companies also produce the same type. Baldur's Gate did this, Fallout did not.
It sold enough for there to be a sequel and a spin off game as well as never ending rumours of another sequel and even more tacky spin offs. Another spin off was commission and began but it was cancelled, poor sales for the first spin off due to poor quality and a bad rap from the fallout community pretty much killed it.

No it didn’t sell as much as Baldurs gate but that got a hell of a lot more hype to back it up, Fallout came from virtually nowhere to my memory and surprised everyone with its quality especially after they released a demo that really wasn’t representative of the games quality at all and probably put a lot of people off.
Enforcer Talen
Warlock

Post by Enforcer Talen »

there is a lot of hack and slash, but that's what dnd is, or so I've found. baldur's gate isn't solely that tho, diablo 2 is far more in that direction. I prefer baldur's gate cuz it doesn't have such intensive combat all the time, and has somewhat more of a developed plot. the basic thing isn't original, to be sure, evil relative plotting to destroy the world while naive you learns of new powers, but the specifics are different, and you don't even have to follow the basic plot line near at all. I've traveled for 124 days, currently, and am only chapter 4. . .but I've cleared every location except the city of bg, and the expansion pack.

and in a few weeks, I'll head into bg2; my cousins swear by it.
This day is Fantastic!
DOOMer WoW
"I really hate it when the guy you were pegging as Mr. Worst Case starts saying, "Oh, I was wrong, it's going to be much worse." " - Adrian Laguna
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Post by Master of Ossus »

That was a GREAT computer game. BGII was even better. I love the plots, the sub-quests, and the back story. EVERYTHING about them was awesome, and Neverwinter Nights is a worthy successor.
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

Latinum Star Recipient; Hacker's Cross Award Winner

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away."
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Arcanum is far better than Baldurs Gate 1 or 2. Fallout 1&2 are tied at second.
Crazy_Vasey
Jedi Council Member

Post by Crazy_Vasey »

weemadando wrote:Arcanum is far better than Baldurs Gate 1 or 2. Fallout 1&2 are tied at second.
I'm not a big fan of Arcanum, just couldn;t get into it as much as with Fallout.
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Thus begins the second page

Acarnium was nice but BG2 had some good stuff in it

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Enforcer Talen
Warlock

Post by Enforcer Talen »

gaah, went into ice isle for the first time, tales of the sword coast, had conquered everything previous easily, was confident, found three mages, killed two, and the third has consistently wiped out my party. I've killed him twice, but never without losing at least a person.

any suggestions?
This day is Fantastic!
DOOMer WoW
Sienthal
Padawan Learner

Post by Sienthal »

Neverwinter Nights for best set-up for multiplay
Fallout 1 and 2 for best Post-Apocalyptic RPG!
Baldur's Gate 1 & 2 are pretty cool, but it does get boring. Tabletop is infinitely better.
Deus Ex for best storyline IMHO.
Arcanum is damn spiffy and best originality.
Planscape Torment is awesome looking, but I have yet to play it.
However, the overall BESTRPG is:
Morrowind
Welcome to the Divine Empire of Ashcroft:
-Hey, you! Sending e-mail, eh?Say Cheese!
-What I say here is forever being recorded. Wonderful, isn't it?
-Jack Chick develops the most disturbing Chick tract to date. It may be viewed here: MIGHTY MORPHIN' SATAN RANGERS! GO!
Enforcer Talen
Warlock

Post by Enforcer Talen »

I'll keep an eye out for it.
This day is Fantastic!
DOOMer WoW
Graeme Dice
Jedi Master

Post by Graeme Dice »

weemadando wrote:Arcanum is far better than Baldurs Gate 1 or 2. Fallout 1&2 are tied at second.
Arcanum would be good, but the play balance and combat are completely broken.
LordShaithis
Redshirt

Post by LordShaithis »

Only problem with BG is that the D&D combat system is an outdated fucking joke meant to be run by one human with some dice.
If Religion and Politics were characters on a soap opera, Religion would be the one that goes insane with jealousy over Politics' intimate relationship with Reality, and secretly murder Politics in the night, skin the corpse, and run around its apartment wearing the skin like a cape shouting "My votes now! All votes for me! Wheeee!" -- Lagmonster
Enforcer Talen
Warlock

Post by Enforcer Talen »

two or three humans, actually. one gm, a few players.
This day is Fantastic!
DOOMer WoW
Graeme Dice
Jedi Master

Post by Graeme Dice »

GrandAdmiralPrawn wrote:Only problem with BG is that the D&D combat system is an outdated fucking joke meant to be run by one human with some dice.
It's a pity the system works, and is balanced, unlike, say Fallout's SPECIAL (Which is horribly unbalanced in how easy it is to train skills.), or Arcanum (Where a first level half-ogre with a strength of 20 does more damage than a gunsmith can hope to for twenty levels.).