Space Cadets

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Space Cadets

Post by Admiral Valdemar »

Anyone else on this island going to be catching this new series on Channel 4? I like the premise, even if it is reality TV. For the uninitiated, it basically follows a group of hopeful cosmonauts who applied to be a part of a Russian programme to get the chance to go into space via their aeronautics & space department. What these people don't now know, as they are cut-off from the rest of the world "training", is that their mission control is not a base in Kazakhstan, but a hangar in a disused military base down south in some undisclosed location. The Russians are actors and every tiny detail possible to give the impression of the place being a well worn base camp for the old Soviet space programme has been implemented. It starts tonight at 2100 and there is additional coverage on E4 and interactive as well as online.

It's the most expensive and ambitious TV hoax ever, so I want to see how it turns out. Far more interesting than Big Brother and that other crap.
El Moose Monstero
Moose Rebellion Ambassador
Location: The Cradle of the Rebellion... Oop Nowrrth, Like...

Post by El Moose Monstero »

Hah! May you be blessed with or without moosey love depending on your preference, AV - I knew there was something I wanted to watch tonight, had completely slipped my mind - would have missed it if not for this thread.
"...a fountain of mirth, issuing forth from the penis of a cupid..." ~ Dalton / Winner of the 'Frank Hipper Most Horrific Drag EVAR' award - 2004 / The artist formerly known as The_Lumberjack.

Evil Brit Conspiracy: Token Moose Obsessed Kebab Munching Semi Geordie
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

It's on before Lost, so I'd have checked anyway if I'd forgotten. I think it'll be on daily for 10 shows before it wraps up.
El Moose Monstero

Bugger, might miss some of them then - it does look rather intriguing - probably in the same sort of bent as that spy thing that was on a while back. Will see if it holds interest.
"...a fountain of mirth, issuing forth from the penis of a cupid..." ~ Dalton / Winner of the 'Frank Hipper Most Horrific Drag EVAR' award - 2004 / The artist formerly known as The_Lumberjack.

Manus Celer Dei
Jedi Master

Post by Manus Celer Dei »

It sounds incredibly stupid, if I understand it correctly.

So at the end, are they just going to go "Aha, fuckers! We lied to you and made you waste several weeks of your time!"?

It seems a bit cruel, really.
"We will build cities in a day!"
"Man would cower at the sight!"
"We will build towers to the heavens!"
"Man was not built for such a height!"
"We will be heroes!"
"We will BUILD heroes!"
[/size][/i]
Dorsk 81
Sith Devotee

Post by Dorsk 81 »

Yea, I'll be watching, it'll fill the gap between SG:A and Lost nicely.

And "undisclosed location"? I thought Johnny Vaughan had been saying on the ads for the past week or so, that it's somewhere in Suffolk.
"I would, for instance, fellate a smurf before I pick death." Dylan Moran
"Only two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." Albert Einstein
EBC's Devonian Deviant | GALE's Supplementary Bi Brit | BoTM's Raw Recruit | GDC's Horny Delphinidae | I'm with RMA | CoIB
Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

It's vile, retarded, and would not even have been greenlit had the average TV zombie not had the IQ of a dim ferret.

Par on the course for Endemol, then.
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

I guess you people have never played practical jokes before, eh? Geez, so uppity. You'd have to be amazingly dumb to think the Russians would just pick a random group of Brits to blast off into space.
Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

Admiral Valdemar wrote:I guess you people have never played practical jokes before, eh? Geez, so uppity. You'd have to be amazingly dumb to think the Russians would just pick a random group of Brits to blast off into space.
Precisely, and I find no amusement in laughing at people that can barely muster enough brain activity to tie their shoelaces.
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Bounty wrote:
Precisely, and I find no amusement in laughing at people that can barely muster enough brain activity to tie their shoelaces.
Then why are you on this site, a site whose motto is exactly that?
Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

Admiral Valdemar wrote:
Bounty wrote:
Then why are you on this site, a site whose motto is exactly that?
I'm here for
Get your fill of sci-fi, science
not
and mockery of stupid people
Just like there are people here for the reverse.
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Bounty wrote: *SNIP*
So be it, but next time remember that the majority of people on this site take great pleasure in watching idiots wind themselves up, so choose your words carefully.
Dorsk 81 wrote:Yea, I'll be watching, it'll fill the gap between SG:A and Lost nicely.

And "undisclosed location"? I thought Johnny Vaughan had been saying on the ads for the past week or so, that it's somewhere in Suffolk.
That'd be undisclosed to me, unless you know precisely where it is, you'll be checking for hangars or warehouses of suitable size all over the county. It's down south is all I know.

I wonder if anyone in there has ever seen Capricorn One...
HemlockGrey
Fucking Awesome

Post by HemlockGrey »

There're gonna be pissed when the show ends.
The End of Suburbia
"If more cars are inevitable, must there not be roads for them to run on?"
-Robert Moses

"The Wire" is the best show in the history of television. Watch it today.
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

That's the best part! I want to see how they fare at the end. Wonder if Endemol has planned for any lawsuits at all.
Sharpshooter
Jedi Master

Post by Sharpshooter »

You know, as much as I hate reality television in nearly all of its forms, I really sort of want to see this.

I mean, the only thing I've ever heard of that could top this would be if they did an American Idol rip-off, but they did a search for the worst singer while making them think they were at the best. Then at the end, when they've been chosen as the new "idol" and are doing some kind of victory performance, everybody does an about-face and boos them off the stage and pelts them with various types of vegitable matter.

Call me a malicious fucker, but god damn it I want to see something like that before I die...
This has been another blunder by you friendly local idiot.
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

The only show they need to make then is The Running Man. That, or have live tramp racing from Russia.
Ubiquitous
Sith Devotee

Post by Ubiquitous »

My mate was talking to me about this before. We were supposed to be watching Doom tonight, but thankfully because this show is on we don't have to go.

However, the whole premise sounds dumb. What is the point of it other than going 'lol we fooled you!' at the end of it? At least BB has a financial reward for the idiot who wins.

Anyway, I will watch it with a fairly open mind - I just hope it's not as tasteless as it sounds and that the people being bullied by C4 are truely morons who deserve to be in their situation, and not mothers who have been seperated from their kids to be given the chance to go to space, etc.
"I'm personally against seeing my pictures and statues in the streets - but it's what the people want." - Saparmurat Niyazov
"I'm not good in groups. It's difficult to work in a group when you're omnipotent." - Q
HAB Military Intelligence: Providing sexed-up dodgy dossiers for illegal invasions since 2003.
Vanas
Jedi Council Member

Post by Vanas »

I'm considering watching the last episode, just to see if the crew gets torn to shreds by the cast. Other than that, I'm not really interested. 'Reality' shows are rather dull, really.
According to wikipedia, "the Mohorovičić discontinuity is the boundary between the Earth's crust and the mantle."
According to Starbound, it's a problem solvable with enough combat drugs to turn you into the Incredible Hulk.
El Moose Monstero

I'm really getting fed up with these supposedly geordie channel 4 announcers though. I'm from 8 miles out of Newcastle, and I've never heard anyone with as annoying an accent as them. I think they're actually southerners trained at classes watching tapes of Byker Grove. I want to punch them, I really do.

AMX
Jedi Knight

Post by AMX »

Admiral Valdemar wrote:You'd have to be amazingly dumb to think the Russians would just pick a random group of Brits to blast off into space.
Actually...
1) It's well known that the Russians are selling cosmonaut training courses and spaceflights.
2) It's also well known that TV execs will throw lots of money at dumb ideas.
1+2=3) It's perfectly plausible that a TV station will sponsor cosmonaut training, and maybe even flight, for some random guy off the street.
Expensive and dumb, but plausible.

'Course, I don't have enough background info to tell whether that logic holds in this case.
Dorsk 81
Sith Devotee

Post by Dorsk 81 »

Listening to Johnny explaining it all, you have to admire the amount of hard work they've obviously gone to.
"I would, for instance, fellate a smurf before I pick death." Dylan Moran
"Only two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." Albert Einstein
EBC's Devonian Deviant | GALE's Supplementary Bi Brit | BoTM's Raw Recruit | GDC's Horny Delphinidae | I'm with RMA | CoIB
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

They're all fucking idiots. Yes, I'm going to enjoy this.

The remaking of a whole Cold War base in Ipswich, Suffolk is amazing. Must've been one hell of a job to do.
El Moose Monstero

I'm relieved that they didn't seem to go for the most controversial morons that appeared in the initial contestant stream, I would have lost all interest in the program if they'd seemed to be just out for ratings through absolutely irritating contestants.

Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Just as well they eliminated HM Forces personnel and anyone who knew anything about the military, astrophysics and the like. They're using Bloodhound SAMs as background detail. I'd spot that as fake right away, even with the Cyrillic writing newly put on.
El Moose Monstero

Admiral Valdemar wrote:Just as well they eliminated HM Forces personnel and anyone who knew anything about the military, astrophysics and the like. They're using Bloodhound SAMs as background detail. I'd spot that as fake right away, even with the Cyrillic writing newly put on.
I bet there'll be someone who'll rumble something - regardless of whether they've weeded out the experts, someone's bound to spot something which isn't quite right. A british airways flight passing over head or a view of space which doesn't look right. The people are pissing me off already, but I think I'll stay with it. It's rather diverting from this air pollution essay I'm supposed to be writing.