Grammatical/spelling errors that most annoy you.

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Hillary
Jedi Master

Grammatical/spelling errors that most annoy you.

Post by Hillary »

Maybe it's just me, but I can't help getting cross when people constantly fuck up on the simplest grammatical or spelling rules.

I just wondered what everyone else was annoyed by.

I'll start the ball rolling

People should know the difference between to, two and too.

Likewise there, their and they're.

Also, it's "should HAVE", not "should OF".

And it's "I did" or "I have done", not "I done"

Final one for the moment, effect and affect - get it right.

If this one's been done before, apologies - I had a scroll through and couldn't see it.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

'Conceed' instead of 'Concede'. 'Your'/'you're'. I could go on. Gah!
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
kheegster
Jedi Council Member

Post by kheegster »

It's 'different FROM', not 'different THAN'!
Articles, opinions and rants from an astrophysicist: Cosmic Journeys
RedImperator
Roosevelt Republican

Re: Grammatical/spelling errors that most annoy you.

Post by RedImperator »

Hillary wrote:Also, it's "should HAVE", not "should OF".
"Should of" is the phonetic spelling of how people in several regions say "should've". In Philadelphia, almost everyone pronounces it "should of". It's still wrong written like that, but it's an understandable mistake.

"They" as a singular pronoun drives me crazy. And I'm getting more and more tight-assed about ending clauses in prepositions.
Any city gets what it admires, will pay for, and, ultimately, deserves…We want and deserve tin-can architecture in a tinhorn culture. And we will probably be judged not by the monuments we build but by those we have destroyed.--Ada Louise Huxtable, "Farewell to Penn Station", New York Times editorial, 30 October 1963
X-Ray Blues
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Grim Squeaker »

armOr instead of armour, colOr replacing the correct coloUr; also any form of texting shorthand makes my eyes bleed
Photography
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.
To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.
Danny Bhoy
Jedi Knight

Post by Danny Bhoy »

DEATH wrote:armOr instead of armour, colOr replacing the correct coloUr; also any form of texting shorthand makes my eyes bleed
The missing "u"s get my goat as well. SMS shorthand is fine when SMSing. But not when writing letters and emails and shit.
Mange
Sith Marauder

Post by Mange »

Danny Bhoy wrote:
DEATH wrote:armOr instead of armour, colOr replacing the correct coloUr
The missing "u"s get my goat as well. SMS shorthand is fine when SMSing. But not when writing letters and emails and shit.
But "armor" instead of "armour" and "color" instead of "colour" is American spelling (i.e. -or instead of -our and also for example -ze instead of -se).
DEATH wrote:also any form of texting shorthand makes my eyes bleed
Yeah, I dislike that as well.
Last edited by Mange on 2005-11-30 10:45am, edited 1 time in total.
Hillary
Jedi Master

Post by Hillary »

DEATH wrote:any form of texting shorthand makes my eyes bleed
Ah, yes - txt spk :kill:
Eris
Jedi Knight

Post by Eris »

I must admit, I'm not particularly a grammar/spelling whore. So long as the ideas are accurately and clearly conveyed language has served its purpose and I'm usually fairly happy (or not depending on what was conveyed, but that's contentual displeasure). That rules out right off the bat text speak, 'cause no one can freaking understand it clearly. ur is not a word dammit!

And all that being said, "I wish I was" instead of "I wish I were" just gets under my skin. Likewise, despite my supposedly not caring, you'll notice I take great pains to be fairly accurate in regards to both spelling and grammar; figure that one out.
Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

Folk's who abuse apostrophe's.

Too many comma's,,, or people who type like Shatner...with pauses,,,that really pisse's me off...
drachefly
Jedi Master

Post by drachefly »

Discretely shoplifting and discreet mathematics.

Aside from that, they seem to be covered already...
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

leet speak (no I'm not gonna even try spell it "correctly") and over use of acronyms.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Gil Hamilton
Tipsy Space Birdie

Post by Gil Hamilton »

RedImperator wrote:"They" as a singular pronoun drives me crazy. And I'm getting more and more tight-assed about ending clauses in prepositions.
That's why in grammar you should always be a top.

Mostly what ticks me off is people who don't know how to use punctuation and half-ass simple words.

Is it really so much harder to type "Hey, could you tank a Scholomance run?" that you have to resort to "hey could u tnk scholo??" Seriously, it actually took me longer to type the second because it was unnatural.
"Show me an angel and I will paint you one." - Gustav Courbet

"Quetzalcoatl, plumed serpent of the Aztecs... you are a pussy." - Stephen Colbert

"Really, I'm jealous of how much smarter than me he is. I'm not an expert on anything and he's an expert on things he knows nothing about." - Me, concerning a bullshitter
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Grim Squeaker »

Mange the Swede wrote:
But "armor" instead of "armour" and "color" instead of "colour" is American spelling (i.e. -or instead of -our and also for example -ze instead of -se).
Irrelevant, it's still a mutilation of the correct form and is simply being lazy, I could vote for a move to short hand on the "it's eaZier" route :roll: .
Concerning that, did anyone read the vodafone plan to offer cell phone summaries of great plays/works (Romeo and Juliet for example) in ultra short hand sms speak? The picture on the paper made my eyes bleed, I can't understand why people can't add two letter out of five :x
Photography
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.
To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.
Big Phil
BANNED

Post by Big Phil »

alot of what pises me of is people who cant spell or use apostrophe's, puntuation or, other grammatical symbols correctly. Their a bunch of fuckers witch should be burnt at the steak.
In Brazil they say that Pele was the best, but Garrincha was better
Xenophobe3691
Sith Marauder

Post by Xenophobe3691 »

When people spell "rogue," "rouge." GODDAMMIT it pisses me off!
Dark Heresy: Dance Macabre - Imperial Psyker Magnus Arterra

BoTM
Proud Decepticon

Post 666 Made on Fri Jul 04, 2003 @ 12:48 pm
Post 1337 made on Fri Aug 22, 2003 @ 9:18 am
Post 1492 Made on Fri Aug 29, 2003 @ 5:16 pm

Hail Xeno: Lord of Calculus -- Ace Pace
Captain Cyran
Psycho Mini-lop

Post by Captain Cyran »

DEATH wrote:
Mange the Swede wrote:
Irrelevant, it's still a mutilation of the correct form and is simply being lazy, I could vote for a move to short hand on the "it's eaZier" route :roll: .
According to you, and maybe some others, but I guess the people who grade things and decide grammar think you're wrong. Or else I'd think every single essay I've handed in that says color or armor would have been marked wrong. In other words, it's not irrelevant. It is the legitimate spelling of those two words within America, don't like it tough. You're over-reacting to an evolution of a language over time and geographical area.
Concerning that, did anyone read the vodafone plan to offer cell phone summaries of great plays/works (Romeo and Juliet for example) in ultra short hand sms speak? The picture on the paper made my eyes bleed, I can't understand why people can't add two letter out of five :x
This however, totally legit. I fucking hate sms speak, especially when it slaughters the old works.

EDIT: Fixing tags.
Justice League, Super-Villain Carnage "Carnage Rules!" Cult of the Kitten Mew... The Black Mage with The Knife SD.Net Chronicler of the Past Bun Bun is my hero. The Official Verilonitis Vaccinator
drachefly
Jedi Master

Post by drachefly »

As for the dropping the 'u', blame Webster for altering the language.

That said, I cannot figure out where I'm supposed to put the 'u' sound in 'colour' or 'armour', or what other phonetic rule it is supposed to be activating.
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

Any grammatical error involving a missed 't', or a mispelled 't', seems to really piss me off.
“It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.”
-Jean-Luc Picard

"Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them."
-Margaret Atwood
Mange
Sith Marauder

Post by Mange »

DEATH wrote:
Mange the Swede wrote:
Yes, but languages evolves. Take my native language for example (Swedish, which is a tiny language). Finland was part of Sweden up until 1809 and Finland is still bilingual today with a Swedish speaking minority. There are some differences between "rikssvenska" (=national Swedish, the way Swedish is spoken in Sweden, including the various dialects) and "finlandssvenska" (the Swedish dialect spoken in Finland). The differences are mainly phonetical in nature, but there are also other differences as well. For example, eighteen ( 18 ) was earlier "aderton" in Swedish before it was simplified to "arton". Today, "arton" is rikssvenska while "aderton" still is used in finlandssvenska. Does that mean that we who speak rikssvenska are lazier? No, languages evolves.
Jawawithagun
Jedi Master

Post by Jawawithagun »

The mess people tend to make of were - ware - wear - we're - where
"I said two shot to the head, not three." (Anonymous wiretap, Dallas, TX, 11/25/63)

Only one way to make a ferret let go of your nose - stick a fag up its arse!

there is no god - there is no devil - there is no heaven - there is no hell
live with it
- Lazarus Long
Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

DEATH wrote:
Mange the Swede wrote:
Bullshit. Its a recognized and offical spelling of the word. Insulting Americans because thats how its spell is nothing more then arrogance on your part.
"If the facts are on your side, pound on the facts. If the law is on your side, pound on the law. If neither is on your side, pound on the table."

"The captain claimed our people violated a 4,000 year old treaty forbidding us to develop hyperspace technology. Extermination of our planet was the consequence. The subject did not survive interrogation."
Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

RedImperator wrote: "They" as a singular pronoun drives me crazy. And I'm getting more and more tight-assed about ending clauses in prepositions.
If and when a singular genderless word is invented for people to use, I will stop using they. As it stands, I get tired of dealing with various instructors who can't make up their mind on how I should write. One nails me for being sexist in my language (so I use They and he doesn't mind), then another grades me down for using the grammar wrong and encourages me to use the very language that got me in trouble with the first instructor.
"If the facts are on your side, pound on the facts. If the law is on your side, pound on the law. If neither is on your side, pound on the table."

"The captain claimed our people violated a 4,000 year old treaty forbidding us to develop hyperspace technology. Extermination of our planet was the consequence. The subject did not survive interrogation."
General Soontir Fel
Padawan Learner

Post by General Soontir Fel »

What really annoys me is when people mix up British and American spellings (i.e. Red is my favorite colour). Doesn't happen too often, but it crops up.

Oh, and when people don't proofread and you see 'her' when it should be 'here', or vice versa. Now that, you do see all over the place.
Jesse Helms died on the 4th of July and the nation celebrated with fireworks, BBQs and a day off for everyone. -- Ed Brayton, Dispatches from the Culture Wars

"And a force-sensitive mandalorian female Bountyhunter, who is also the granddaughter of Darth Vader is as cool as it can get. Almost absolute zero." -- FTeik
SCRawl
Has a bad feeling about this.

Post by SCRawl »

Alyeska wrote:
DEATH wrote:
Mange the Swede wrote: But "armor" instead of "armour" and "color" instead of "colour" is American spelling (i.e. -or instead of -our and also for example -ze instead of -se).
Bullshit. Its a recognized and offical spelling of the word. Insulting Americans because thats how its spell is nothing more then arrogance on your part.
Recognized by...the Americans. :wink:

Look, the differences between the english language in the U.S. and everywhere else basically came from a post-revolutionary dislike of things British. Things like the retarded pronunciation of the letter "z" came from this mindset. (This is one of those things that annoys me, though I can't get too upset, because it isn't strictly speaking incorrect in the U.S.) Noah Webster's 1783 "Elementary Spelling Book" is chiefly responsible for the differences between British and American english, and I've read quotes from him which state that establishing an American language was as important as the revolution. This is silly, really, and if you want some more silliness from Mr. Webster, read on:
Noah Webster wrote:In my view, the Christian religion is the most important and one of the first things in which all children, under a free government ought to be instructed.… No truth is more evident to my mind than that the Christian religion must be the basis of any government intended to secure the rights and privileges of a free people.
I recognize that this would be an ad hominem argument, I'm just trying to give some background on this guy whose version of the language you now defend.

In the end analysis, there isn't a very significant difference between the languages, and it takes a pretty thin skin to get too worked up about it (except for the "z", that's just dumb). From a publishing point of view, the American spellings make sense, since they almost invariably require fewer letters to get the same words across. In my experience, the Americanized spellings, pronunciations, and word replacements tend to make more intuitive sense -- "plow" instead of "plough", "lOOtenant" instead of "lEFtenant", "truck" instead of "lorry" as examples -- even though, as a Canadian, I still tend to stick with the non-American versions.
73% of all statistics are made up, including this one.

I'm waiting as fast as I can.