Do you 'search on the internet' or 'Google it?'

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Let's have a poll, just for kicks.

Yes, I am one of those people! I regularly use at least one of those brand names in that way, and I'm not annoying!
61%
No, I'm not one of those people. All vacuums, tissues, search engines, etc. were NOT created to be equal. Is it really that hard to say "copy machine" or "tissue?"
27%
Other: I find everyone and everything annoying, especially Eggo waffles.
12%

Total votes: 82

Zaia
Inamorata

Do you 'search on the internet' or 'Google it?'

Post by Zaia »

Do you...

Search or Google?
Copy or Xerox?
Vacuum or Hoover?
Use tissues or Kleenex?
Eat waffles or Eggos?
Drink soda/pop or Coke?
Use bandages or Band-Aids?
Use clear/sticky tape or Scotch tape?
Use acetaminophen/paracetamol or Tylenol/Panadol?
Use cotton swabs or Q-tips?
Soak in a hot tub or a Jacuzzi?

I'm sure there are others, so feel free to add to the list. Are you one of those people who use brand names to refer to all objects of that variety or of the actions that brand name item performs?

If so, do you realize how annoying you are? :P

Edit: Added a few of the ones I forgot. And I didn't add the duct tape one I think someone suggested because it's a kind of tape, not a brand of tape.
Edit #2: More! I think that's all of them so far...?
Last edited by Zaia on 2005-06-30 10:24pm, edited 2 times in total.
"On the infrequent occasions when I have been called upon in a formal place to play the bongo drums, the introducer never seems to find it necessary to mention that I also do theoretical physics." -Richard Feynman
Companion Cube
Biozeminade!

Post by Companion Cube »

I have a Degree from the University of Google, so a yes to your first question. :P As to the others, I do occasionally substitute a brand name if the brand in question is pretty much ubiquitous.
And when I'm sad, you're a clown
And if I get scared, you're always a clown
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Re: Do you 'search on the internet' or 'Google it?'

Post by Batman »

Zaia wrote: If so, do you realize how annoying you are? :P
I thought we settled that one some time ago :P
I google when I google. Otherwise, I search.
The only place I have ever seen or heard the term xerox used instead of copy is literature.
I vacuum. Or rather, Igor does. As far as I'm concerned, Hoover is a former head of the FBI.
Tissues.
And I have no clue what Eggos are in the first place.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Civil War Man
NERRRRRDS!!!

Post by Civil War Man »

I usually refer to soda/cola/pop as Coke unless I want a specific kind (like Sprite, 7Up, or Mountain Dew).

I google. I xerox. I use kleenex.

However, I do also vacuum and eat waffles.
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

Google and Teflon are the only ones that have become a part of my vocabulary. Google I'm not sure why I use it, but for Teflon there's a good reason. Teflon (Dupont trademark IIRC) is a hell of a lot easier to say and remember than Polytetrafluoroethylene.
aerius: I'll vote for you if you sleep with me. :)
Lusankya: Deal!
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
Noble Ire
The Arbiter

Post by Noble Ire »

Google? Xerox? You are all slaves to the corporate machine!
:P

I have been known to say Kleenex from time to time, but for the others I usaully say "copy" or "search." And then sometimes, I just point and grunt. :)
The Rift
Stanislav Petrov- The man who saved the world
Hugh Thompson Jr.- A True American Hero
"In the unlikely story that is America, there has never been anything false about hope." - President Barack Obama
"May fortune favor you, for your goals are the goals of the world." - Ancient Chall valediction
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Post by Admiral Valdemar »

I don't use brand names unless I'm asking for one. I have to correct my mum when she "Hoovers" or if anyone says "Coke" means any soft drink. But then I'm a rather finnicky bastard when it comes to language. I really should've been an English major rather than science in that respect.
Tinkerbell
Jedi Master

Post by Tinkerbell »

Google.
Xerox.
Coke.

Everything else is general.

The only times it really bothers me is if someone is doing it in reference to something I really care about. Guitars, amps, most anything musical. And theater. Computers too, but not so much..
Darth Wong wrote:The American "family values" agenda is simple: alter the world so that you can completely ignore your child and still be confident that he is receiving the same kind of Christian upbringing that you would give him if you weren't busy.
Brother-Captain Gaius
Emperor's Hand

Post by Brother-Captain Gaius »

10 years ago, I'd say IBM as opposed to Mac/Apple. That distinction is lost now, it's just 'PC' or 'Mac' these days.

I say Kleenex. The tissues next to me are in fact Kleenex, too.

I Google stuff. Then again, it's the only search engine I use anymore.

I say Xerox and copy about equally, and I never use Hoover, Coke (at least generally), or Eggo. In fact, I quite specifically only use "pop" -- soda and cola irritate me.
Agitated asshole | (Ex)40K Nut | Metalhead
The vision never dies; life's a never-ending wheel
1337 posts as of 16:34 GMT-7 June 2nd, 2003

"'He or she' is an agenderphobic microaggression, Sharon. You are a bigot." ― Randy Marsh
haas mark
Official SD.Net Insomniac

Post by haas mark »

Zaia wrote:Search or Google?
Copy or Xerox?
Vacuum or Hoover?
Use tissues or Kleenex?
Eat waffles or Eggos?
Depends.
Copy.
Vacuum.
Depends.
Waffles, because eggos suck.
Robert-Conway.com | lunar sun | TotalEnigma.net

Hot Pants à la Zaia | BotM Lord Monkey Mod OOK!
SDNC | WG | GDC | ACPATHNTDWATGODW | GALE | ISARMA | CotK: [mew]

Formerly verilon

R.I.P. Eddie Guerrero, 09 October 1967 - 13 November 2005

Keevan_Colton
Emperor's Hand
Location: In the Land of Logic and Reason, two doors down from Lilliput and across the road from Atlantis...

Post by Keevan_Colton »

I google, but that's only because I use google ;)

I also did it before it was cool...and I'm a bonafide Disciple of the Great God Google, Lord of All Things Informational, Finder of Lost Links, Salvation of Students and Bringer of Interesting Things.
"Prodesse Non Nocere."
"It's all about popularity really, if your invisible friend that tells you to invade places is called Napoleon, you're a loony, if he's called Jesus then you're the president."
"I'd drive more people insane, but I'd have to double back and pick them up first..."
"All it takes for bullshit to thrive is for rational men to do nothing." - Kevin Farrell, B.A. Journalism.
BOTM - EBC - Horseman - G&C - Vampire
Quadlok
Rabid Monkey

Post by Quadlok »

Let us not forget Bandaid, because its a hell of a lot easier than saying sterile adhesive bandage strips.

I Google and use Kleenex.
Watch out, here comes a Spiderpig!

HAB, BOTM
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Blimey. I didn't even know 'Bandaid' was a brand name.
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Zaia
Inamorata

Post by Zaia »

Quadlok wrote:Let us not forget Bandaid, because its a hell of a lot easier than saying sterile adhesive bandage strips.
*smacks forehead* I KNEW there was an obvious one I was forgetting! Thank you!
"On the infrequent occasions when I have been called upon in a formal place to play the bongo drums, the introducer never seems to find it necessary to mention that I also do theoretical physics." -Richard Feynman
The Dark
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Dark »

Zaia wrote:Do you...

Search or Google?
Google. Both in the sense you're asking and literally.
Copy or Xerox?
Copy. I'm not sure I've ever seen an actual Xerox copier, either.
Vacuum or Hoover?
I am so tempted to say Kirby...but I vacuum.
Use tissues or Kleenex?
Both.
Eat waffles or Eggos?
Neither.

I don't refer to soda as Coke, because I don't drink Coke (or Pepsi). Bandages usually do get called band-aids. I still call portable music devices Walkmans, too.
Stanley Hauerwas wrote:[W]hy is it that no one is angry at the inequality of income in this country? I mean, the inequality of income is unbelievable. Unbelievable. Why isn’t that ever an issue of politics? Because you don’t live in a democracy. You live in a plutocracy. Money rules.
BattleTech for SilCore
Chmee
Sith Marauder

Post by Chmee »

I Google and Xerox and look forward to the day I can Ubik my problems away.
[img=right]http://www.tallguyz.com/imagelib/chmeesig.jpg[/img]My guess might be excellent or it might be crummy, but
Mrs. Spade didn't raise any children dippy enough to
make guesses in front of a district attorney,
an assistant district attorney, and a stenographer

Sam Spade, "The Maltese Falcon"

Operation Freedom Fry
Pu-239
Sith Marauder

Post by Pu-239 »

Google, but use generic terms for everything else.

ah.....the path to happiness is revision of dreams and not fulfillment... -SWPIGWANG
Sufficient Googling is indistinguishable from knowledge -somebody
Anything worth the cost of a missile, which can be located on the battlefield, will be shot at with missiles. If the US military is involved, then things, which are not worth the cost if a missile will also be shot at with missiles. -Sea Skimmer

George Bush makes freedom sound like a giant robot that breaks down a lot. -Darth Raptor
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

I use what sounds better or what I'm more used to, whether it's a popular name brand or not.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
The Morrigan
Jedi Knight
Location: Lost, somewhere within the realms of my own fevered imagination

Post by The Morrigan »

Search or Google?

I say 'Google' if I am actually going to use Google. Otherwise I say 'search'.
Copy or Xerox?
Copy
Vacuum or Hoover?
Vacuum
Use tissues or Kleenex?
Use Kleenex. Say 'Tissues'.
Eat waffles or Eggos?
I don't eat waffles. What the fuck are Eggos?
After all, this is completely straightforward. What could possibly go wrong?

THIS LOOKS LIKE A JOB FOR EMERGENCY PANTS!

I hate Matt Damon and there's not a damn thing you can do about it

No, I'm not on drugs. I'm like this all the time.
Quadlok
Rabid Monkey

Post by Quadlok »

The Morrigan wrote:
Eat waffles or Eggos?

I don't eat waffles. What the fuck are Eggos?
Eggos are toaster waffles. You can't seriously mean you've never heard the expression 'leggo my Eggo!'
Watch out, here comes a Spiderpig!

HAB, BOTM
Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

Quadlok wrote: Eggos are toaster waffles. You can't seriously mean you've never heard the expression 'leggo my Eggo!'
Err yes she can, because neither did I.
The Morrigan
Jedi Knight
Location: Lost, somewhere within the realms of my own fevered imagination

Post by The Morrigan »

Quadlok wrote:Eggos are toaster waffles. You can't seriously mean you've never heard the expression 'leggo my Eggo!'
I could until you went and spoiled things for me. Waffles aren't all that popular over here. :|
After all, this is completely straightforward. What could possibly go wrong?

THIS LOOKS LIKE A JOB FOR EMERGENCY PANTS!

I hate Matt Damon and there's not a damn thing you can do about it

No, I'm not on drugs. I'm like this all the time.
Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

The Morrigan wrote: I could until you went and spoiled things for me. Waffles aren't all that popular over here. :|
Waffles are moderately popular over here and I still don't know what Eggos are.
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

Eggos.

aerius: I'll vote for you if you sleep with me. :)
Lusankya: Deal!
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Batman wrote:
The Morrigan wrote: I could until you went and spoiled things for me. Waffles aren't all that popular over here. :|
Waffles are moderately popular over here and I still don't know what Eggos are.
click me
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."