Live from the eagle's nest

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

The Infidel
Jedi Master

Live from the eagle's nest

Post by The Infidel »

This is really slow TV.
It shows the nest of an eagle in the Oslofjord of Norway.

It can be relaxing to just have on a monitor.

https://www.nrk.no/piip/
Where am I at in the post apocalypse draft? When do I start getting picks? Because I want this guy. This guy right here. I will regret not being able to claim the quote, "The first I noticed while burning weed, so I burned it, aiming at its head first. It wriggled for about 10 seconds. Too long... I then fetched an old machete [+LITERALLY ANYTHING]"
- Raw Shark on my slug hunting
The Infidel
Jedi Master

Re: Live from the eagle's nest

Post by The Infidel »

Oh, the chicken is growing so fast. I can almost see it from day to day.
There's something wrong with the mic, so very little sound.
Where am I at in the post apocalypse draft? When do I start getting picks? Because I want this guy. This guy right here. I will regret not being able to claim the quote, "The first I noticed while burning weed, so I burned it, aiming at its head first. It wriggled for about 10 seconds. Too long... I then fetched an old machete [+LITERALLY ANYTHING]"
The Infidel
Jedi Master

Post by The Infidel »

Today at noon Norwegian time (about an hour ago, check time stamp of this post), the chicken got tagged. I bet it must be a very scary experience for it, kinda like an alien abduction. You can rewind up to 6 hours to check it out.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

>cough<

In English a "chicken" is a very specific type of bird, Gallus domesticus. Needless to say, the most recent posts in this thread were confusing to me because the only reason I could think of for a G. domesticus to be in an eagle's nest would be very, very bad for the G. domesticus, if it were even still capable of thought, as opposed to the more likely state of being a meal.

If you are referring to the growing, post-hatching offspring of a bird in general the correct English term is "chick", without the "-en". For specifically an eagle's chick, the term is "eaglet". Sorry for the mini-English lesson, I hope you were not offended by it, I only mean to promote clarity and understanding.

But yeah, I think getting tagged would, for the eaglet, be like an alien abduction. Or being temporarily taken by fairies and returned. We must be very frightening, capricious creatures to the animals of the world.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Thank you for the lesson. Heretofore I did not 'know' what the english equivalent to the german 'Küken' was (that being the post -hatching offspring of birds in general), and I assumed 'chicken' exclusively referred to the grown ...chicken(colloquial meanings notwithstanding).
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
The Infidel
Jedi Master

Post by The Infidel »

Broomstick wrote: 2023-08-03 05:18pm >cough<

In English a "chicken" is a very specific type of bird, Gallus domesticus. Needless to say, the most recent posts in this thread were confusing to me because the only reason I could think of for a G. domesticus to be in an eagle's nest would be very, very bad for the G. domesticus, if it were even still capable of thought, as opposed to the more likely state of being a meal.

If you are referring to the growing, post-hatching offspring of a bird in general the correct English term is "chick", without the "-en". For specifically an eagle's chick, the term is "eaglet". Sorry for the mini-English lesson, I hope you were not offended by it, I only mean to promote clarity and understanding.

But yeah, I think getting tagged would, for the eaglet, be like an alien abduction. Or being temporarily taken by fairies and returned. We must be very frightening, capricious creatures to the animals of the world.
Oh, thank you, madam. I'm always happy to be corrected. I shall remember this next time. (Cookie for reference.)
The Infidel
Jedi Master

Post by The Infidel »

One eaglet is now flying around a little while the other is still at most just hovering a bit above the nest. Just a few days more, and they will both be flying around.
The Infidel
Jedi Master

Post by The Infidel »

Both eaglets are now grown up in size and fly around and often sit on branches outside the camera's coverage. They still get fed from the parents. Nest is often empty, but not always.

Is is correct to call them eaglets when they're grown? They are now like late teenagers, I guess. Kinda fully grown, but haven't learned to catch their own food yet.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Well, it's a bit fuzzy, but when they leave the nest for good they're definitely eagles. Before that use your judgement - do they look more like adults or babies at this point?
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

The Infidel
Jedi Master

Post by The Infidel »

Broomstick wrote: 2023-08-25 07:04am Well, it's a bit fuzzy, but when they leave the nest for good they're definitely eagles. Before that use your judgement - do they look more like adults or babies at this point?
Definitely more like grown eagles now. Maybe just call them the offspring for now.
Mother came with a very alive fish around 18:15 Norwegian time today (almost 2 hours ago). There's no compassion in nature, that's for sure. That poor thing was alive for about 15 minutes while being eaten by one of the offspring, suffocating to death while being eaten alive.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

As I have often pointed out to people, in nature predators don't hunt to kill, they hunt to eat. With sometimes unfortunate implications for the meal. Concepts like "a clean kill" and "a humane death" are entirely human concepts, and not even universal amongst our kind.

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Broomstick wrote: 2023-09-03 03:02pm As I have often pointed out to people, in nature predators don't hunt to kill, they hunt to eat. With sometimes unfortunate implications for the meal. Concepts like "a clean kill" and "a humane death" are entirely human concepts, and not even universal amongst our kind.
There's also the fact that the fresher the meal, the less chance of contamination or disease, which is why the oppossum 'faints' to fool predators.

Not to say that a hungry eagle will not scavenge, it will eat carrion as an 'easy meal', which is why many in the US suffer from lead poisoning. The eagles, vultures, and other raptors are drawn to the 'field dressing' many hunters leave behind, which often includes bullet fragments. This is why there's an effort to get hunters to move away from lead bullets, but its a supply/demand thing. Manufactorers will make lead bullets as long as there's a demand, and until the demand is big enough they won't switch metals.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Patrick Ogaard
Jedi Master

Post by Patrick Ogaard »

The Infidel wrote: 2023-08-25 03:39am Both eaglets are now grown up in size and fly around and often sit on branches outside the camera's coverage. They still get fed from the parents. Nest is often empty, but not always.

Is is correct to call them eaglets when they're grown? They are now like late teenagers, I guess. Kinda fully grown, but haven't learned to catch their own food yet.
If they are out of the nest regularly, and more or less full-grown, but the the parents still tend to them, they're fledlgings, or fledgling eagles.
The preceding overly complex sentence brought to you courtesy of the comma.
The Infidel
Jedi Master

Post by The Infidel »

LadyTevar wrote: 2023-09-04 10:43am
Broomstick wrote: 2023-09-03 03:02pm As I have often pointed out to people, in nature predators don't hunt to kill, they hunt to eat. With sometimes unfortunate implications for the meal. Concepts like "a clean kill" and "a humane death" are entirely human concepts, and not even universal amongst our kind.
There's also the fact that the fresher the meal, the less chance of contamination or disease, which is why the oppossum 'faints' to fool predators.

Not to say that a hungry eagle will not scavenge, it will eat carrion as an 'easy meal', which is why many in the US suffer from lead poisoning. The eagles, vultures, and other raptors are drawn to the 'field dressing' many hunters leave behind, which often includes bullet fragments. This is why there's an effort to get hunters to move away from lead bullets, but its a supply/demand thing. Manufactorers will make lead bullets as long as there's a demand, and until the demand is big enough they won't switch metals.
In Norway, we simply outlawed lead from shotgun pellets some years ago. I think it's allowed in other types of ammo.

Yeah, Broomstick. Sometimes, it can be at bitch to be a hard to kill meal. I think that the reason why many predators make sure its prey is dead before they start to eat, is so that the meal doesn't suddenly run away or hurt them.
The Infidel
Jedi Master

Post by The Infidel »

Patrick Ogaard wrote: 2023-09-04 11:31am
The Infidel wrote: 2023-08-25 03:39am Both eaglets are now grown up in size and fly around and often sit on branches outside the camera's coverage. They still get fed from the parents. Nest is often empty, but not always.

If they are out of the nest regularly, and more or less full-grown, but the the parents still tend to them, they're fledlgings, or fledgling eagles.
The preceding overly complex sentence brought to you courtesy of the comma.
Fledglings... So eaglets are kids and fledglings are "teenage" eagles?
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Basically.

The Infidel
Jedi Master

Post by The Infidel »

The mother has now left the nest to migrate south. Her goal is a place in west Sahara.

The fledglings and father remain a little while longer, but soon the fledglings will depart south, then the father will "close" the nest for the winter and leave a little later.

The kids have both managed to catch fish, but aren't very confident in it yet. The father still provides food when needed.

They fly south alone, not in groups.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

I think all Birds of Prey migrate alone, and it makes sense for them. Flying south alone means they're not competing for food along the way, and if something happens to one, it doesn't affect the others.

Geese and songbirds flock because their food is usually more plentiful, enough to feed everyone, and there's protection from predation in numbers.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Aren't most Birds of Prey loners by nature anyway, only forming mating pairs/families and not larger flocks.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Harris hawks will hunt cooperatively, but they're the exception. So far as I know they're the only exception.

They will also stand on each other's backs:

Both of these behaviors are likely connected to their desert environment.

The Infidel
Jedi Master

Post by The Infidel »

Most certainly not desert in the nest now. Cold rain and the forecast say it will stay this way for a few days.

Mother is now around Le Mans, France. (She has a tracker.)
If a fledgling isn't able to catch its own food soon, it will starve and die.
They're already late for the trek as they were born a bit late.
The Infidel
Jedi Master

Post by The Infidel »

I wonder if the correct term in English of these fish eagles is Ospreys.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Now that I look at them again - yes, those are ospreys.

The Infidel
Jedi Master

Post by The Infidel »

It seems like the ospreys have left the nest now. Only a crow is sometimes visiting from time to time, in hope of a snack left behind.

The fledglings won't come back to Norway until 2025, if they survive, and not to the same nest. If the parents survive, they will try to use the same nest next spring.
The Infidel
Jedi Master

Post by The Infidel »

The mother is currently in Morocco. The whereabouts of the others are unknown, since they don't have trackers.
The nest is empty and the camera has been taken down.

A branch behind the camera the birds often perched on.