What Instrument Do You Play?

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Raw Shark
Stunt Driver / Babysitter

What Instrument Do You Play?

Post by Raw Shark »

So, not everybody plays music. But I do. And if you do, too, this is the thread for that. I am a trumpet player. I like it. The last band I was in, I walked up while they were practicing and watched some, and said, "I notice you don't have a horn," and the clarinet guy said, "We do now." Last song we did, I got to sing. It was, "It's a sin to tell a lie." Duet, between myself and our flute player. We just belted it out, with a sick solo in the middle. Had a great time. Never made any money, just food and beers. Our bass player was a huge diesel dyke and she asked me one time if she though she could sing something, and I told her, "Y'know what'd be perfect for you? All About That Bass." She looked at me and asked, "Do you think I could?" "Absolutely. You would rock that." I wasn't wrong. She kicked the vocals, with a bass solo.

"Do I really look like a guy with a plan? Y'know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it! Y'know, I just do things..." --The Joker
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Re: What Instrument Do You Play?

Post by Broomstick »

Piano. Formerly flute, bagpipes, and bass drum with a dabble in guitar (not really my instrument), tin whistle, way way back saxophone and a discovery that I was never going to be a fiddle player.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Post by LaCroix »

Once the piano, banjo and concertina.
Then I managed to mess up my fingers and can't do rapid movements for more than a minute at a time anymore. It sucks.
A minute's thought suggests that the very idea of this is stupid. A more detailed examination raises the possibility that it might be an answer to the question "how could the Germans win the war after the US gets involved?" - Captain Seafort, in a thread proposing a 1942 'D-Day' in Quiberon Bay

I do archery skeet. With a Trebuchet.
Col. Crackpot
That Obnoxious Guy

Post by Col. Crackpot »

Trumpet. Though not as well as I once did. Wife plays the piano. Older kids play Trumpet and guitar and now the littlest one is taking her first piano lessons. It's loud here. lol
"This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we’ll be lucky to live through it.” -Tom Clancy
Zwinmar
Jedi Master

Post by Zwinmar »

Been trying to learn the bass electric guitar, but uh yeah...
davidmckay
Redshirt

Post by davidmckay »

Bass guitar is my favourite instrument. I learned this in high school (I recently finished my second year of college) and I adore it. I began as a jazz bassistgeometry dash lite, but my passion of rock and metal gradually overtook me, so I now mix the two styles. I adore playing bass because the sensation of the instrument in your chest is amazing. It's something I honestly can't put into words.
TrekkieJeff2000
Redshirt

Post by TrekkieJeff2000 »

I played the trumpet when I was younger, I’ve been working on it again slowly over the last couple of years.
Tribble
Sith Devotee

Post by Tribble »

Used to play the French Horn through high school and college. Well, to be more specific, a double horn keyed in F and B Flat lol.

I’d like to get into it again one day when I have the time, though not as an occasional hobby. If I’m going to do it I’ll do it right!

Funny thing is, it wasn’t my first choice of instrument back in elementary school (1st choice was trumpet), but I was the only one in the entire grade that put it in one of my choices at all, so the teacher asked me to play it. I decided to stick with it because I grew to enjoy it, and because our high school had a top tier music program.

One of the things I found interesting playing the horn was that we often played just as much with the woodwinds as we did the brass section, and acted as somewhat of a bridge between the two. We also didn’t get the melody a whole lot (with some exceptions), though that was likely more to do with music selection than anything.

Some horn player jokes:

Q- How to horn players successfully audition for an orchestra?
A - They just show up! (seriously, I literally joined bands for no other reason than there were no other horn players available)

How do horn players traditionally greet each other?
"Hi. I played that last year."
"Hi. I did that piece in junior high."

What is the difference between a french horn section and a '57 Chevy?
You can tune a '57 Chevy.

How can you make a trombone sound like a french horn?
Stick your hand in the bell and play a lot of wrong notes.

All very true :lol:
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - The official Troll motto, as stated by Adam Savage
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Post by EnterpriseSovereign »

Way back in primary school it was either the clarinet or the flute and had to try both. The latter I barely got any noise out of, the former I could. Actually hated it so all the practice was nothing but a chore! :evil: There's a picture of me as a small boy playing an antique bugle that my grandparents had though I have no actual memory of it myself, apparently I was the only one who could get any noise out of it! Unfortunately or perhaps fortunately, I was unable to repeat the feat with the same bugle as an adult :lol:
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

My grade school music teacher tried to make me learn the Tuba.
First class I ever got a 0 in.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

I played clarinet in school, but never well enough to get higher than 4th chair (out of 6).
I broke my arm, and wound up playing xylophone and bells in the percussion, which was FAR MORE FUN, and I even got solos, because our band director did dance routines where the percussion section played while the band did the choreographed dance moves. (Axel-F, Heard it through the Grapevine).

I can plink about on a piano. I have a recorder I can make music with, but not well. I have a psaltry that I need to get more practice with, but right now I know it's just high-pitched squeals that even I wince at, so....

I can sing? Mostly in tune? I am an alto, so I'm better with songs that are set in the tenor/alto range. No Celion Dion for me, but I can sing "Blue on Black" without problem.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet