Cooking and puttering about the finnish countryside

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

His Divine Shadow
Commence Primary Ignition

Re: Cooking and puttering about the finnish countryside

Post by His Divine Shadow »

Cut enough wood today to use up said bottle and the saw ran really nicely, and it wasn't nearly as hot as with gasoline. That's the main attraction of E85 to me, despite having to be careful with not leaving it in the saw for too long, once it's time to hang up the saw for the season, run it empty and fill with alkylate gasoline. Then run a little of that through the motor to displace any E85 from the carb. That fuel has no problems sitting all winter long. I want to use it in my brush cutter but it has run regular gasoline for so long it needs to be stripped down and cleaned. The ethanol in E85 will make old deposits loosen and they might catch between piston and cylinder, damaging it. My chainsaw was completely disassembled and rebuilt so I know it has no deposits. Another thing with E85 is you won't get any deposits either, it burns cleaner than pure gasoline.

I bought a cheap hammer and dolly set, I wasn't impressed with the finish of the hammer faces or dollies. So I started grinding and polishing, will have to see how it holds up under use... Untouched dolly for comparison. I've done them all now, time to start bumping sheet metal, got some dents in my car in need of fixing.

Here's a good book on the subject:
https://cloudflare-ipfs.com/ipfs/bafykb ... ble%29.pdf
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who did not.
His Divine Shadow

Got a photo from my kids teacher. It was about how David enjoys writing on the chalkboard so much he does it on breaks, he has autism spectrum signs as well as ADHD (I probably do as well, should get it diagnosed, someday, procrastination is a sign). The reason I posted was just I am glad to still there are proper green chalkboards in schools. I was afraid they'd replaced everything with touch screens.

His Divine Shadow

Finally, it works! I made the last component, an adapter 1/2" BSP to M22x1.5 (Kränzle) and took it for a quick test and boy howdy that's a powerful pressure washer!

I'd say it's at least as powerful as my my dads old 3-phase Kärcher that he once accidentally removed the paint from the shed with, along with some wood. This one came with a 050 size nozzle however so it's too small, I will look for some 075's. But I wanted to test it anyway. I regret buying such a short hose now. But they should be extendable.

In the long run I do think I want to get rid of the metal pipes and manifold, when I set it up rusty water was running out... That's no good.

-Replace the hard metal pipes with hydraulic hoses instead, they have been plated but that's broken in places.
-Replace the bottom manifold (might make this from a hunk of aluminum)
-Replace all steel fittings with brass or stainless.
-Replace the valves
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

His Divine Shadow wrote: 2023-06-02 06:40am Got a photo from my kids teacher. It was about how David enjoys writing on the chalkboard so much he does it on breaks, he has autism spectrum signs as well as ADHD (I probably do as well, should get it diagnosed, someday, procrastination is a sign). The reason I posted was just I am glad to still there are proper green chalkboards in schools. I was afraid they'd replaced everything with touch screens.
Some of the ladies I was talking with at the event yesterday work with special needs, one as a teacher at a school expressly for kids who can't integrate into school, the other for adults who still need help.

Both of them agreed that ADHD is probably tied into the Autism Spectrum, and in many cases it's a high-functional Autistic child (especially an undiagnosed one) who simply has lost their ability to Focus. We also discussed how girls are still being Under-diagnosed, because boys act out, while girls turn inward.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
His Divine Shadow

Welding rust, was just gonna do a little patch which ended up with replacing half the bottom of the sill.

And I'm out of gas. Le sigh
His Divine Shadow

Still working on that fucking car above. Things always take so much longer than thought, doing the painting now, a whole science there too. But suffice to say I put 2k epoxy on it, after I do the sanding work. Of course then you get occasions like now and you notice you still need to sand after priming so ah fuckit. The very bottom has a layer of epoxy since I won't sand there anyway, and it will get a thick rust proofing mass as well and penetrating oil inside the sills
His Divine Shadow

Still up in the air but I think it's pretty certain, after midsummer weekend I should be owning this
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

His Divine Shadow wrote: 2023-06-17 10:37am Still up in the air but I think it's pretty certain, after midsummer weekend I should be owning this
That a retro Saab? Looks like the ones from my childhood but I dunno.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
His Divine Shadow

It's a 1990 Saab Turbo Saloon, they are getting pretty rare. It'll become a summer only car for me. Though in a way it's kind of a shame, they where built to handle the snow like no other.

I'm hoping I can drive it to my uncles funeral on July 1st, he was a saab enthusiast most of his life, I can only ever remember him driving saabs. I think he'd have appreciated something like that.
His Divine Shadow

Sunday cooking, mustard & honey glazed pork loin on the grill, good ole potatoes and a classic butter sauce. Take a big dollop of butter, let it melt in a pot, add chopped chives, salt, pepper and some of the water from the potato pot. I do my own version sometimes where I also add in finely chopped regular onions and let them soften up in the melted butter before adding the rest of the ingredients. So damn good, I prefer mealy potatoes since they soak up the sauce. Too bad we where all out of salads so I had to use what I found. Man some tomatoes would've gone nice here...

Also potato tip, add lots of salt to your potato water, salted potatoes taste way better, good enough you can just eat them on your own. And potatoes are good for you and some of the best vegetables out of a nutrition, climate & water usage perspective. It really is the god vegetable.

His Divine Shadow

Two nights ago I got woken up in the middle of the night by a cat having problems with the cat flap. They sometimes get it stuck in the mosquito net. I went up to try and help out, but asI approach the cat panicks and brute forces it's way out. Weird our cats are chill as hell? I look outside and it's not our cat! Neighbors cat! It's pretty fat too, I wonder if we've been feeding it during nights?

And it happened again last night!!! This time I only noticed because my glucose sensor started beeping a low glucose alarm at me and it scared the shit (not literally, thankfully) out of the cat. God damnit, we're gonna have to upgrade cat flap to one that uses chips or something.
His Divine Shadow

Last monday my vacation started (4 weeks) and I begun by waking up at 4:40 AM to get on a 5:44 train, also woke up my SO because she had to drive the car back from the station. It was a very foggy morning and dangerous driving conditions, because of the fog and the time. Animals like deer and moose are on the move around this time. We in fact saw five moose watching us from behind a wildlife fence on the highway, thank god for the fence.

So I went down to southern Finland to Lahti and I drove this thing home, 400km or so:

1990 Saab 900 TURBO 16 valve

Since it's a car from 1990 that has been winter driven in the salty conditions, it has some rust but for it's age not too bad. This is mostly due to the car having been treated preventatively against rust.

Some rustyness going on near the drive tunnels, it will need corrective action eventually. I just put Dinitrol ML on everything after I tried getting most of the crud off.

PO made an homemade anti theft system, remove the red key and the car won't start. Says he puts it in the cigarette tray between the seats. The car has locks that are all looking a bit messed up. Fortunately the car now lives in a place where you don't have to lock your cars.

I got another set of rims with studded winter tires, the tires look new and the rims are the saab aeros, looking to be in fine shape too. But I prefer the rims on the car now.

Also gave me some speakers and I dunno what they're called, splitters? For hooking up tweeters I believe.

Some of the rust, also old rust protection treatment that's starting to let go, you can usually refresh this by spraying penetrating corrosion inihibtor like Dinitrol ML on it, softens it up again. I want to wet sand blast the bottom of the car to get it clean and rust free, then perhaps epoxy coat the bottom, followed by Dinitrol ML and then a thicker product. I mean it will become a summer car only from now on, but I think I want to do that anyway.

Worst I found so far:

-Key retention unless reverse no longer works. On Saabs of this era you had to put the car in reverse to be able to remove the key, which is between the seats by the way.
-Various rust issues (photos)
-Probably needs a bunch of new various vacuum hoses
-Seller says it ought to need a new rotor and pointed out two belts he thought I should replace
-I tried looking at the drive shaft tunnels but they didn't look or feel rusty.
-Some ground and connection issues with the rear lights
-The indicator lever doesn't want to reset on it's own in one direction, seller says a piece is missing but replacements can be bought.
-The drivers seat sags at the rear where you sit so you sink down, he passenger seat doesn't do that. I need to fix this because it wasn't good for my back after driving 400km.
-I love cruise control! I got a mileage of around 8-8.5l/100km or 27-29 mpg. I think I could get it to do better with some engine service.
-Seller has only ever used fully synthetic 5W-40 motor oil and I believe the papers showed it being used back for a very long time.

For they who might enjoy it, a history of Saab:
His Divine Shadow

Took the Saab to my uncles funeral. He seemed like a big shot hearing my other uncle talk about him later on during the memorial. Worked as an engineer and then head of the section responsible for building out the broadband infrastructure in this region, as well as way earlier getting the first digital switches from France integrated into the phone system, during which he learned french. Also got invited to Brussels for his EU knowledge during the years leading up to Finland joining the EU.

I managed to keep it secret from my parents until after the funeral. My mom had seen me asking about saabs on facebook earlier and on midsummers even our families met at the summer cottage for a big dinner and during the evening as the talk somehow steered into cars for a bit I joked I'd rather buy an old Volvo 740 than most new cars today and my mom says "well better a Volvo than a bloody Saab! I hope you don't buy one of those, ugliest cars ever. You come home in one of those and I'll lock the door on you." I was kinda flabbergasted since I had been looking into saabs and how did she know? Well apparently the group is public and she gets shown stuff I write on FB. Well a big reason I hardly use FB!

Anyway after the burial we where walking to the parking lot and just nicely happened to pass by my Saab first. My mom said something like, it's a car like this you want huh? And I said, "yeah I think I'll take it", then I fished out the keys and opened it and it was her turn to be flabbergasted. "WHAT? This is your car??!" Lmao I say!

And god how I enjoy a car where I can change the oil filter from ABOVE the car, unlike my mazda that needs to accessed underneath and have a billion bolts removed to remove the under cover armor. Everything on this car is just so nicely designed for being able to service on it.
His Divine Shadow

I see HTTPS is working again, that explains why the youtube didn't work no more.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUL93C2Jvas[/youtube]

e: Actually it seems broken in new ways now
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Take the s out of https out:

His Divine Shadow

That's how I got it in the original post, but it stops working if you use https again. And it seems the site now has a working https certificate again.
His Divine Shadow

Treated the deck and the chairs with the same stuff, we mix it ourselves. 1/3rd of pine tar, linseed oil and turpentine.

I've used a bunch of various oils over the years though. End result is a kinda nice patina IMO.
His Divine Shadow

Doing a lot of small things with the car right now, like I cleaned the wheels, I tried using some regular degrease / bitumen remover first, but the actual wheel cleaner really did a good job. I was convinced it was a scam product,

Wheels looking a lot nicer now

I also removed the front license plate and cleaned it up, changed the screws which where rusty. This one has the older style plates. And you know I have noticed almost every time I go to the DMV equivalent, there's a young kid wanting to swap his EU plates for this style. Seems to be a real trend going on, I wonder if it's anti EU sentiment driving it. Or just that the old plates look different, perhaps cleaner. Same design since 1970.

I need to find a good trim detailer for maintaining the black plastic trim, that isn't silicone oil based and turns everything into a dust magnet. Also, polishing the head lights. We'll see what I do, they're actual glass, side indicators are plastic as well as the back lights, they will be easier to polish up woth some PlastX.

Currently feeding this guy painkiller daily, and some nutrition stuff twice daily, fortunately he willingly eats it all. "Irritated bladder" the vet said, perhaps from stress. He eats a lot better now.

Also lol at someone actally making this sticker, nerd points if you get the reference:
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Robocop?

So are you guys going to join us the general success and wonderfulness Brexit has been?
His Divine Shadow

There are no serious calls for a fixit even though everybody likes to complain about the EU. It's not popular where I live, but not impopular enough either, and seen to the whole country it's even worse, for a fixit'eer.

Also yes Robocop 2 and John Glover in the in universe ad.
His Divine Shadow

The rear shelf was basically junk so I made a new one, wooden frame with plywood on top, then some fabric that looked close enough. Also installed some of the audio equipment I got with the car.

And then I managed to find sedan 900 louvres! These are rare.

Lacking the fittings however so I will have to make something on my own.
His Divine Shadow

I've been making fittings. Can't say they turned out that nice looking, but they will be hidden by the louvers. I really got the welding better made on the 2nd one.

Around this time the sky opened up and I had to postpone the gluing because the rear window was getting wet. I replaced the alternator and coolant pump belts instead. This took a while. I read it's supposed to be a quick job but I spent like two hours on it.

Part of it might be opening up bolts I didn't need to, like the servo steering pump tensioner, I tried to loose all the bolts and one just rounded on me, fortunately I have a tool set just for extracting broken and rounded bolts and that thing has been such a life saver for costing like 12 euros.

I took the whole tensioner assembly out and spent some time cleaning it up since the threads where caked with crap. Also working on engines is not something I do a lot, but intend to get better at.

Anyway after two new belts the rain had stopped and I could continue.

Sikaflex applied

It has hardened overnight now, but I still need to make two more of a different style.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

She's really going to look amazing once you're done. :)
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
His Divine Shadow

Thanks! I really do like how it's turning out. I used to think Saab 900s where ugly cars when I was younger but with age I sorta came around. They just feel so great, I think it's all the little details about the car that makes the overall impression.

Like how when I look around me when backing I get this 'feel' of where the car is that I don't with any other car I've driven, or just today when driving back, I put the sun visor down and flipped it to the side and it wasn't totally useless! Must be a first that the sun visor has been long enough to actually block the sun from the side...

Louvers fitted, went to my parents with the cats, they're gonna be cat sitters for a week as we're going on a road trip to Åland.

His Divine Shadow

This was a good burrito. Leftover hashbrowns, fried them up again and tossed in an egg too while at it. And some jalapenos and roasted onions (+ketchup&mustard).