Probably putting one of my dogs down tomorrow (April 9, 2022)

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Probably putting one of my dogs down tomorrow (April 9, 2022)

Post by Solauren »

near end of August 2019, a lump appeared on my dog, Dash. Specifically on his rear right leg near his hip.
It got bigger, we went to the vet, schedueled surgery to remove it, it broke, and drained out before the surgery.

It came back, testing, and yes, it's Cancer.

He had the 'replacement/regrown' tumor removed early January, 2020. Cost alot, but we were not ready to let him go yet.

He barely noticed, as when he got home after his recovery, he did a running jump onto the footstool that is between the couch, backdoor and my computer desk. (Scared my wife half to death).

The lump regrew about a month into Canada's first Covid-19 lockdown. By then, we had decided 'no drugs' for the little guy. At $500 a month for the rest of his life, it just wasn't viable.

Now, let's fast forward until Feb 2022. He's now at 25 months post removal. (That's very high end post Cancer operation for most dog breeds, let alone an American Eskimo)

He's still in good health, good spirits, if a little more clumsy now. Over the pandemic he finally figured out how to walk in the kitchen (something he never did for the 10 years we'd live here prior to his surgery, as he's a klutz), but now, he's slipping again. We also has taken to sleeping under the dinning room table (it's against a wall). We get some mats for under the table, and then in March, for the kitchen, as he's now having trouble getting up off the kitchen floor (and the dining room is confined so he's either got to wiggle around, or stand up on rugs).

Mid Feb, we noticed a bump on his belly. (Might have been in January, but it was not there during Christmas). In retrospect, my joke at him that 'the cancer regrow your balls' over something he did is almost prophetic.

About 2 weeks ago, he started to have even more trouble. We have also noticed bumps on his shoulders (both) a new one near his right ankle, one on the inside of his left leg near his groin, on his right hip half way up his chest, and left front leg has one on where the bicept would be on a human.

He also gets really anxious (to the point of almost snapping), depending on things, if we touch anywhere near his hips. He's growled at our other dog twice when she was in his way. He's having trouble getting into the house from outside (as in he starts heavy breathing, and he's nearly fallen on several occasions). He also has trouble getting up even on the area rug. Last few days, he's needed 'extra motivation' to bother with breakfast. (Fortunately, a drop of BBQ sauce, and he hoovers up the bowl)

All in the last 2 weeks.

His attitude and personality are otherwise unaffected. Last night, we did what we call a 'short walk' (roughy 230 - 250 meters each way), and he kept trying to keep going on the way back. Not 'stop i'm tired'. more like I can/want to do more!' (The other dog, Tia, she don't care. She got out, pooped, and doesn't argue).

So, I called the vet today, and it's gone from his regularly required Check-up and Vaccines to 'quality of life assessment.' He turned 14 in Feb.

I'm not expecting Dash to come home with us.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
VX-145
Padawan Learner

Re: Probably putting one of my dogs down tomorrow (April 9, 2022)

Post by VX-145 »

That really sucks. If it helps any, he reads like he's a very happy dog.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

And he passed at roughly 1:45pm.

It took 2 doses of the sedative to get him to near-sleep (he loved going to the vet. Hell, loved going everywhere via car).
We stayed with him, on the floor (he couldn't be picked up, and wouldn't let the vets touch him, so blanket on the floor) until the vet confirmed he'd passed.

We'll be getting his ashes + urn in the near future.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

*HUGS*

I'm sorry.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

For what little it's worth, I'm sorry.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Post by EnterpriseSovereign »

I'm sorry to hear that, I've been there- it's been more than 11 years but I remember losing our own dog that way. We had to change vets afterwards because just because of the memory of him lying there in that room, I remember grabbing a nearby towel just to drape something over him. :cry: