TIL: Today I Learned... (Join in!)

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Re: TIL: Today I Learned... (Join in!)

Post by LadyTevar »

EnterpriseSovereign wrote: 2022-11-04 11:28am TIL the difference between baking soda and baking powder :wink:
*sigh*
Yes. Both of those are leavening agents to make baked goods rise.
Baking Soda (sodium bicarbonate) combined with an acidic liquid, like buttermilk, makes CO2 which causes the cake to rise properly.
Baking POWDER is both sodium bicarbonate AND the acid (citric acid usually). It just needs heat to start producing CO2.

Adding Baking Powder to a recipe already using buttermilk or another acid overpowers the sodium bicarbonate and it doesn't rise.

That particular cake was thrown in the trash as it was the consistency of bread pudding due to underbaking.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

LadyTevar wrote: 2022-11-05 01:15pm Adding Baking Powder to a recipe already using buttermilk or another acid overpowers the sodium bicarbonate and it doesn't rise.
Heat and moisture - so keep your powder dry until you're ready to use it.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

TIL:

My niece is having a baby boy! (gender reveal party today)

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
His Divine Shadow
Commence Primary Ignition

Post by His Divine Shadow »

I learned you can cook pretty well in a masonry heater if the electricity is expensive (current price 35c/kWh) and you don't wanna fire up the oven.

Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who did not.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Like cooking on an old-style hearth. What is old is new again.

We've been extraordinarily fortunate in my area with warmer than usual weather - except, of course, that means climate change is real. So... not much heating cost so far. I could have done without the 100 kph winds we've had these last two days, which have highlighted every crack and chink in my home. Time to get up the window plastic to seal off the worst of it, and repair the doorsweep.

If the newer pattern holds, though, we should have an arctic air mass flop down over us at some point this winter. The cold doesn't last as long as it did 30 or 40 years ago but it can still be just as intense when it does get here.

I'll try not to whine about it, as I know heating costs, even if they have risen compared to last year, are still lower here than in most other places.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

One of the sounds owls here can make sounds very similar to a small dog in distress.
The_Saint
Jedi Knight

Post by The_Saint »

Today Last night I learned that cut resistant gloves are in no way puncture resistant when dealing with blackberry thorns.
All people are equal but some people are more equal than others.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

The_Saint wrote: 2022-11-07 09:15pm Today Last night I learned that cut resistant gloves are in no way puncture resistant when dealing with blackberry thorns.
There is a big difference between cuts and punctures, which is why even D&D has stats for Slashing vs Stabbing. It's very hard to make something that protects against both, because cuts are movement-based (a drawn line across) while punctures are a single point of contact (all energy on that one contact point).

Which is why the SCA Fencing community does demonstrations on how easy it is for even an epee to cause damage if the safety tip is missing. It's scary how little pressure it takes to stab a watermelon.

EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Post by EnterpriseSovereign »

LadyTevar wrote: 2022-11-08 11:05am
The_Saint wrote: 2022-11-07 09:15pm Today Last night I learned that cut resistant gloves are in no way puncture resistant when dealing with blackberry thorns.
There is a big difference between cuts and punctures, which is why even D&D has stats for Slashing vs Stabbing. It's very hard to make something that protects against both, because cuts are movement-based (a drawn line across) while punctures are a single point of contact (all energy on that one contact point).

Which is why the SCA Fencing community does demonstrations on how easy it is for even an epee to cause damage if the safety tip is missing. It's scary how little pressure it takes to stab a watermelon.
TIL that many swords are designed for both thrusting and slashing. :mrgreen:
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

EnterpriseSovereign wrote: 2022-11-08 02:34pm

Yep, many swords are designed for both. PROTECTION against both is the hard part. ;)

EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

LadyTevar wrote: 2022-11-08 03:52pm
LadyTevar wrote: 2022-11-08 11:05am There is a big difference between cuts and punctures, which is why even D&D has stats for Slashing vs Stabbing. It's very hard to make something that protects against both, because cuts are movement-based (a drawn line across) while punctures are a single point of contact (all energy on that one contact point).

Yep, many swords are designed for both. PROTECTION against both is the hard part. ;)
Now I'm going to have to look up the effectiveness of swords vs armour :lol:
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

EnterpriseSovereign wrote: 2022-11-08 05:36pm
LadyTevar wrote: 2022-11-08 03:52pm
Now I'm going to have to look up the effectiveness of swords vs armour :lol:
Chain mail -- good against slashing but a strong thrust can break through.
Lamellar -- good against slashing, but thrusts can go between plates.
Plate -- good against slashing and thrusts, unless it hits a spot not covered by plate (ie any gaps needed for movement).

None of these were much good against Bashing/Mass weapon damage (clubs, warhammers, maces, axes). There was an archeology report of a grave containing a grown man whose hip bone was utterly destroyed, and bone chips found the lower ribs on the opposite side. Supposedly the blow that killed him came from a mace swung in a low arc, connecting on the upswing. It could also have been a flail.

Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Downside of phyiscs: even if your armour is utterly indestructible (impossible outside comics miracle materials and mostly even with them) all the momentum and kinetic energy of the attack has to go somewhere, and without miracletech like inertial damping or outright magic, that somewhere is going to be the body of the wearer. And humans aren't all that physically resilient.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

In theory you could build an armor that would be proof against maces, but it would be so heavy it would be impractical. That's the thing there an armor is always a compromise between protection and the practical needs of the user.

It's also why armor disappeared from at around 1600s until World War I guns became too powerful for it to be practical to armor people against it.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
The_Saint
Jedi Knight

Post by The_Saint »

Exactly

To be fair I well know the difference, I just had a vain hope of finding better gloves. I didn't have a lot of faith they'd be actually puncture proof but I had hope from their construction that they might be marginally better than the leather gloves I was previously using.

Fun bit of personal history, I have been on the receiving end of a sword stab from a rider performing a horse-mounted charge (an accident while demonstrating historic military skill-at-arms) and it didn't do anywhere near as much damage to my hand as I was expecting (likely due to a combination of the rider attempting to shift the sword point and me trying to whip my hand out of the way).
All people are equal but some people are more equal than others.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

The_Saint wrote: 2022-11-09 05:14pm Exactly

To be fair I well know the difference, I just had a vain hope of finding better gloves. I didn't have a lot of faith they'd be actually puncture proof but I had hope from their construction that they might be marginally better than the leather gloves I was previously using.

Fun bit of personal history, I have been on the receiving end of a sword stab from a rider performing a horse-mounted charge (an accident while demonstrating historic military skill-at-arms) and it didn't do anywhere near as much damage to my hand as I was expecting (likely due to a combination of the rider attempting to shift the sword point and me trying to whip my hand out of the way).
Yeouch! Good reflexes, getting as far out of the way as you were able.
You'd probably have to get hockey gloves to have the thickness to protect from thorns. And that will only work because the padding is thicker than the thorn is long :lol: :lol: :lol:

EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

LadyTevar wrote: 2022-11-09 07:14pm
The_Saint wrote: 2022-11-09 05:14pm Exactly

Yeouch! Good reflexes, getting as far out of the way as you were able.
You'd probably have to get hockey gloves to have the thickness to protect from thorns. And that will only work because the padding is thicker than the thorn is long :lol: :lol: :lol:
Believe it or not, those aren't thorns. They're actually prickles! :mrgreen:
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

TIL there's a difference between thorns and prickles. So far I thought all the stabby bits on plants are thorns.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Raw Shark
Stunt Driver / Babysitter

Post by Raw Shark »

Batman wrote: 2022-11-09 09:00pm TIL there's a difference between thorns and prickles. So far I thought all the stabby bits on plants are thorns.
I find it effective to just use "stabby bits" as a catch-all term, because that's the result as far as my flesh goes. It's like the plant version of the signs you might see on some properties that say, "I don't call 911. I call Smith and Wesson." Do I really care exactly what kind of S&W this guy is bringing to bear on me? No I do not.

"Do I really look like a guy with a plan? Y'know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it! Y'know, I just do things..." --The Joker
Raw Shark
Stunt Driver / Babysitter

Post by Raw Shark »

At least farmers can be reasoned with. I've gotten away with my skin plenty of times I had a weapon pointed at my face with a simple, "Hey sorry man, just passing through." Sometime they were like, "Imma follow you the whole way," and sometimes it was like, "Okay, keep moving."

"Do I really look like a guy with a plan? Y'know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it! Y'know, I just do things..." --The Joker
Zwinmar
Jedi Master

Post by Zwinmar »

For gloves for moving barbed objects : https://www.militarygloves.com/barbed-wire-handler.html something like that would help, though we found they were just annoying to move concertina wire with.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Zwinmar wrote: 2022-11-10 11:03am For gloves for moving barbed objects : https://www.militarygloves.com/barbed-wire-handler.html something like that would help, though we found they were just annoying to move concertina wire with.
Concertina wire is supposed to be annoying and dangerous to move, it's meant to disrupt movement across a battlefield.

EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Raw Shark wrote: 2022-11-10 05:51am At least farmers can be reasoned with. I've gotten away with my skin plenty of times I had a weapon pointed at my face with a simple, "Hey sorry man, just passing through." Sometime they were like, "Imma follow you the whole way," and sometimes it was like, "Okay, keep moving."
How do you get yourself into such situations so regularly? :mrgreen:
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

LadyTevar wrote: 2022-11-10 12:14pm
Zwinmar wrote: 2022-11-10 11:03am For gloves for moving barbed objects : https://www.militarygloves.com/barbed-wire-handler.html something like that would help, though we found they were just annoying to move concertina wire with.
Concertina wire is supposed to be annoying and dangerous to move, it's meant to disrupt movement across a battlefield.
It is also used in non-military settings, such as when used in prison barriers, detention camps and riot control.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

EnterpriseSovereign wrote: 2022-11-10 01:45pm
LadyTevar wrote: 2022-11-10 12:14pm
It is also used in non-military settings, such as when used in prison barriers, detention camps and riot control.
Which again, is there to disrupt and prevent movement.