TIL: Today I Learned... (Join in!)

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Re: TIL: Today I Learned... (Join in!)

Post by EnterpriseSovereign »

TIL that contrary to appearances, the reason ITV news presenter Rageh Omaar continued his broadcast despite becoming visibly unwell and struggling instead of handing over to another presenter who was on standby while one of the reports was played was that, being ever the professional he was determined to finish the program despite obviously being in no fit state to do so. Apparently, the moment the cameras stopped rolling he was rushed straight to hospital. Both ITV and Mr Omaar's family were reluctant to give any details of the cause of his on-screen ailment but experts have said the presenter exhibited signs of a mini-stroke, called a transient ischaemic attack (TIA).
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

TIL The Prius I'd given to my older brother had been in an accident over the winter, which damaged the main battery and they'd not been able to fix it. Yesterday they traded it in on a brand new Toyota Corolla Hybrid.

Part of me is happy they got a new car. Part of me is very upset because the Prius is no longer in the family. She was a really good car, and should have had many more years of use in her :(
I hope the battery damage is fixable, battry replacable, and that she goes on to serve another family as faithfully as she did ours. :(
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Was she a hybrid or electric? I don't remember.
Because on a regular car battery-replacement should be dead easy (if not necessarily cheap).
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Batman wrote: 2024-05-02 10:24am Was she a hybrid or electric? I don't remember.
Because on a regular car battery-replacement should be dead easy (if not necessarily cheap).
SHe was hybrid and it was the BIG Lithium battery that was damaged.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Today I (re)learned that job interviews make my guts churn :wink:
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Today I learned it takes 56 days to calligraph the King's Coronation Roll. And the only typo was a dot missing over an "i" on the whole 21meter-long roll.

As a calligrapher, this is HIGHLY interesting, not just for the length of the stitched-together non-animal parchment paper, and not just for the 56 days it took the scribe to create (it doesn't say anything about the Illuminations or how long they took), but because this is a full accounting of EVERYTHING that happened during Charles III's Coronation last year, who was there, who did what/said what, what oaths were made, etc etc. It's a full historical record of what was said and done at the Coronation, and like older record Coronation Rolls, it can be used to remind those who swore oaths what they said and promised to do. Which was the original purpose of these Rolls.

But what's also amazing is it'd going to be digitized for people to review and study. I'm hoping the digitization includes info on the "special inks" mentioned as being used (probably real ultramarine ink from actual lapis, the gold bits could be Shell Gold Ink or actual gilding, etc). While most of the Roll is going to be text, I'd love to see what Illuminations are on there other than what was shown in the article.

OH! And TIL they're called Coronation ROLLS and not scrolls because they've been historically kept in Rolls Chapel. Makes one wonder which name came first, the Chapel or the Rolls.

King Charles Coronation Roll Complete. For those who might be interested.

Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

TIL that lightsaber duelling is recognised as an official sport in France, under the idea that it encourages people to get regular exercise.

Part of me wants to like this idea, but that requires me to approve of France, which as an Englishman I can never do.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Hydrogen cars can sometimes get frozen to the nozzle while refueling, leaving them stuck for hours. Just another reason to avoid them.
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

TIL that "Alfons" is Polish for "pimp".
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

EnterpriseSovereign wrote: 2024-05-14 01:33pm TIL that "Alfons" is Polish for "pimp".
AMusingly, "pimp" is also the Welsh word for "Five" which causes endless amusement at railway stations when they annoucne the next train at "platform pimp."
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.