TIL: Today I Learned... (Join in!)

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Soontir C'boath
SG-14: Fuck the Medic!
Location: Queens, NYC I DON'T FUCKING CARE IF MANHATTEN IS CONSIDERED NYC!! I'M IN IT ASSHOLE!!!

Re: TIL: Today I Learned... (Join in!)

Post by Soontir C'boath »

Been awhile, but today I learned that a random computer virus is what caused the electrical grid in the northeastern parts of the US to shut down back in 2003. Hopefully, it's not connected to the Internet since then.

Scientific American
I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Counciler or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who constantly says: "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action"; who paternalistically believes he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by a mythical concept of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait for a "more convenient season."
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

The virus or the electrical grid?
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Soontir C'boath wrote: 2021-07-10 02:59pm Been awhile, but today I learned that a random computer virus is what caused the electrical grid in the northeastern parts of the US to shut down back in 2003. Hopefully, it's not connected to the Internet since then.

Scientific American
NOPE.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northeast ... ut_of_2003
The blackout's proximate cause was a software bug in the alarm system at the control room of FirstEnergy, an Akron, Ohio–based company, which rendered operators unaware of the need to redistribute load after overloaded transmission lines drooped into foliage. What should have been a manageable local blackout cascaded into the collapse of much of the Northeast regional electricity distribution system.
It's a bit more complicated by that, but the investigation did not show any sign of malicious software. It was a case of old infrastructure not being able to handle power demands, causing what should have been a local issue to become a cascading failure.

The article you quoted can be summarized as a guy with his own software company using fear mongering to pitch his products and services, including hints the Microsoft Windows needs to be replaced as a operating system.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Post by EnterpriseSovereign »

I got a good one, today re-watching the end of Deep Space Nine I learned that Kai Winn Adami was played by Louise Fletcher, the actress who played Nurse Ratched in One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. It's the kind of movie you only want to see in its entirety once! :mrgreen:
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Today I learned that if I don't touch the calls on the Answering Machine at work -- NO ONE ELSE WILL EITHER.

I'm getting sick of being the only one on afternoon shift who'll do CallBacks. I'm also getting fuckin' tired of a co-worker shutting down at 15 til 9 and not even closing her windowblinds before she sashays her drama-queen ass out the door.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
muse
Jedi Council Member

Post by muse »

Today I learned about the Finnish breakfast...

Raw Shark
Stunt Driver / Babysitter

Post by Raw Shark »

muse wrote: 2021-07-23 09:40pm Today I learned about the Finnish breakfast...
Today I learned I'm Finnish. Who knew?

"Do I really look like a guy with a plan? Y'know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it! Y'know, I just do things..." --The Joker
LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Post by LaCroix »

I just got randomly aware of something wrong with this picture on the main site:
https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/The_Armorer

The "hammer" is very obviously a kitchen sink faucet.
A minute's thought suggests that the very idea of this is stupid. A more detailed examination raises the possibility that it might be an answer to the question "how could the Germans win the war after the US gets involved?" - Captain Seafort, in a thread proposing a 1942 'D-Day' in Quiberon Bay

I do archery skeet. With a Trebuchet.
Tribble
Sith Devotee

Post by Tribble »

Today I learned that it’s pretty windy when you jump out of an aircraft.
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - The official Troll motto, as stated by Adam Savage
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

I would be interested in hearing the rest of that story....
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Tribble
Sith Devotee

Post by Tribble »

Broomstick wrote: 2021-08-03 06:14pm I would be interested in hearing the rest of that story....
Did a tandem jump near Niagara Falls, which was awesome. 35 min climb (got to see a great view of the falls on the way up), a minute of free fall then about 5-6 minutes of gliding via parachute. I happened to fall through a cloud right before the chute was pulled which was neat :D

Planning on jumping in each province at least once!

Oh, and I learned that small aircraft (I was riding a Cessna) seem to be a bit more bouncy than their jumbo jet counterparts.
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - The official Troll motto, as stated by Adam Savage
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Oh, yes - the smaller the aircraft the more it bounces. After flying micro/ultraights I now know how a sock in a dryer feels.

Soontir C'boath
SG-14: Fuck the Medic!
Location: Queens, NYC I DON'T FUCKING CARE IF MANHATTEN IS CONSIDERED NYC!! I'M IN IT ASSHOLE!!!

Post by Soontir C'boath »

Today I learned when I receive a refund for an item that is due to be paid in the next statement, it still counts as payment for the current statement.

I returned items from the previous statement that helped bring down statement balance which is expected, but then this return pushed it over by $8. Seems like a really neat trick to avoid paying off the credit card for the current due date. Just buy something that matches the balance due. Return it and the credit card will think you paid off the bill! Of course, the kicker is now you gotta worry about next month's bill, but at least it's next month!
I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Counciler or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who constantly says: "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action"; who paternalistically believes he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by a mythical concept of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait for a "more convenient season."
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Today I learned how well I can lie with a smile in my voice.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

Today I learned that next time I have a kitchen rebuilt, screw being considerate to the neighbors, I'm getting a skip for the waste rather than dumping it in my garden and then ferrying it out to a hired van.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Today I learned the door did NOT hit Drama-Queen co-worker on her way out.

Stupid whiny bitch left 10min before closing, and on her way out DID NOT CLOSE THE EMPLOYEE DOOR. Another employee came 5min later to check and see if we were ok because the door was half-open. When she found out that Stupid-Bitch-Drama-Queen had been the last to leave, helped me close the office and said she'd have a word with our Manager in the morning.

I know they won't fire her with only 6weeks left in the Season, but I really *REALLY* hope they don't call her back next Spring. She's more fuckin' trouble than she's worth.
And I feel very sorry for those getting mail at the Post Office she's now working part-time at.

muse
Jedi Council Member

Post by muse »

Today I learned that I should probably start eating edibles.

Cannabinoids Block Cellular Entry of SARS-CoV-2 and the Emerging Variants

On the other hand, the munchies are real and I don't want to get fat since that's a covid co-morbidity.
ø¤ º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur.
(Whatever is said in Latin sounds profound.)

I like Celine Dion myself. Her ballads alone....they make me go all teary-eyed and shit.
- Havok
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Today I learned that Swedish Meatballs were actually brought back from Ottoman territory in the 1700s.

Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Today (really yesterday) I learned that Joseph Mengele, the evilest Nazi of them all, evaded capture and lived free as a bird until 1979.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Today I learned that it is in fact possible for Regional IT to fuck up and send you the wrong printer toner five times in a row. I mean, I suspected but now I know.

Someone's getting fired over this I hope. Oh, wait, they're none-front-line civil servants, it'll get brushed off as an "administrative error" handled by "internal disciplinary measures" and nothing further will ever be said. And tomorrow no doubt I'll have the wrong toner again.

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
muse
Jedi Council Member

Post by muse »

Today I learned what really happens when people go ice fishing

ø¤ º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur.
(Whatever is said in Latin sounds profound.)

I like Celine Dion myself. Her ballads alone....they make me go all teary-eyed and shit.
- Havok
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Eternal_Freedom wrote: 2022-02-14 12:39pm Today I learned that it is in fact possible for Regional IT to fuck up and send you the wrong printer toner five times in a row. I mean, I suspected but now I know.

Someone's getting fired over this I hope. Oh, wait, they're none-front-line civil servants, it'll get brushed off as an "administrative error" handled by "internal disciplinary measures" and nothing further will ever be said. And tomorrow no doubt I'll have the wrong toner again.
More then likely, there is something in the system that is recording the wrong type of toner for you (i.e wrong number in the inventory tracking system), and it's being automatically populated into the orders and sent. You'll have to investigate how to get that fixed.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Solauren wrote: 2022-02-15 08:45am
Eternal_Freedom wrote: 2022-02-14 12:39pm Today I learned that it is in fact possible for Regional IT to fuck up and send you the wrong printer toner five times in a row. I mean, I suspected but now I know.

More then likely, there is something in the system that is recording the wrong type of toner for you (i.e wrong number in the inventory tracking system), and it's being automatically populated into the orders and sent. You'll have to investigate how to get that fixed.
I finally did get it fixed, by going over their heads and getting their ops manager involved. And yeah, it was some dumb fuck who had put the original order in while somehow amending the file for that printer to the wrong model. Exactly as predicted though, this "will be dealt with under internal procedures." Grrrr.

Raw Shark
Stunt Driver / Babysitter

Post by Raw Shark »

muse wrote: 2022-02-14 05:55pm Today I learned what really happens when people go ice fishing

That man has clearly never been ice fishing; nobody can fuck when they're that drunk.

"Do I really look like a guy with a plan? Y'know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it! Y'know, I just do things..." --The Joker
The_Saint
Jedi Knight

Post by The_Saint »

Raw Shark wrote: 2022-02-15 12:51pm
muse wrote: 2022-02-14 05:55pm Today I learned what really happens when people go ice fishing

That man has clearly never been ice fishing; nobody can fuck when they're that drunk.
I mean .... what else is there to do while fishing? My experience is that fishing pretty damn boring so gotta find something else to pass the time... it's just that I don't have much interest in fucking most of those I've been fishing with.

TIL that kids really like making badges, the kind about 50mm / 2" across with a pin on the back. Probably should have stocked up on more supplies beforehand.
All people are equal but some people are more equal than others.