My Dad Suffered A Stroke

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Big Orange
Emperor's Hand

My Dad Suffered A Stroke

Post by Big Orange »

About a week ago I had to call paramedics round our house because my father suffered a severe stroke, and he has been sent to the Bristol Royal Infirmary (which is the best place for him).

The bad news is that he's battling a lung infection (most likely complications from the stroke, maybe partially a pre-existing condition - he liked his e-cigs too much), the good news is he's responding to the antibiotics and from the moment of his stroke to my family's meeting him in hospital, he is still quite lucid, able to form coherent sentences, and recognises me and his wife (but the drugs cause hallucinations).

I hope he pulls through this and he has a smooth recovery.
'Alright guard, begin the unnecessarily slow moving dipping mechanism...' - Dr. Evil

'Secondly, I don't see why "income inequality" is a bad thing. Poverty is not an injustice. There is no such thing as causes for poverty, only causes for wealth. Poverty is not a wrong, but taking money from those who have it to equalize incomes is basically theft, which is wrong.' - Typical Randroid

'I think it's gone a little bit wrong.' - The Doctor
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Re: My Dad Suffered A Stroke

Post by Batman »

This sucks but I'm glad he's doing fairly given the circumstances. Best of wishes of course and here's to a speedy and complete recovery
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Darth Yan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Yan »

Hope he pulls through
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Best wishes on a recovery - I'd say speedy but stroke rehab will take a while, so I'm opting for thorough and complete recovery over speedy.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Soontir C'boath
SG-14: Fuck the Medic!
Location: Queens, NYC I DON'T FUCKING CARE IF MANHATTEN IS CONSIDERED NYC!! I'M IN IT ASSHOLE!!!

Post by Soontir C'boath »

Hopefully he'll be out and about soon enough.
I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Counciler or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who constantly says: "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action"; who paternalistically believes he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by a mythical concept of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait for a "more convenient season."
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Here's hoping he heals quickly, but there may be changes in his mental state.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Big Orange
Emperor's Hand

Post by Big Orange »

Thank you for your kind words of support. And here's an update: my father is now past the worst of his stroke complications and now able to hold proper conversations over the phone (for many days he had bouts of incoherence and in his first week he was having hallucinations).
'Alright guard, begin the unnecessarily slow moving dipping mechanism...' - Dr. Evil

'Secondly, I don't see why "income inequality" is a bad thing. Poverty is not an injustice. There is no such thing as causes for poverty, only causes for wealth. Poverty is not a wrong, but taking money from those who have it to equalize incomes is basically theft, which is wrong.' - Typical Randroid

'I think it's gone a little bit wrong.' - The Doctor
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Big Orange wrote: 2021-06-11 05:40am Thank you for your kind words of support. And here's an update: my father is now past the worst of his stroke complications and now able to hold proper conversations over the phone (for many days he had bouts of incoherence and in his first week he was having hallucinations).
Good to hear he's improving.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

Glad to hear there's good news, Orange. Hang in there!