Medical Emergency for Xmas

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Medical Emergency for Xmas

Post by LadyTevar »

My 19yr old nephew Jaxon decided that the snowy roads meant he and his buddies should go out and play. They tied a plastic sled to an ATV and Jaxon climbed on to be dragged through the streets.

Something happened, and Jaxon was slung underneath on of the parked cars. His friends dug him out, found him unconscious, and threw him in a car to rush him to the local hospital. My brother meet them there, but due to Covid all are stuck outside in the parking lot, no one's allowed inside with Jaxon.

Jaxon is awake now, able to move, but in a lot of pain. As of this writing (1p EST), Xrays revealed 3 spinal fractures. The worst one is to the C-7, and needs surgery.

I'll know more in a few hours. But, we can safely say that Xmas Dinner is cancelled :(
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Re: Medical Emergency for Xmas

Post by Broomstick »

I'm sorry to hear that, and I'm sorry to hear he's in pain, but when it comes to spinal fractures being able to feel anything and able to move are actually good signs.

I hope he can make a full recovery.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Best of wishes, My Lady
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

The nephew is being sent home, no surgery, just a back brace and pain meds.

The worst break was at T-7, not C-7, so there's that.

We'll see how he recovers, and gods willing he won't become another Opioid Junkie.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

If the break doesn't require surgery, just stabilization, then no surgery probably is for the best.

Best wishes for an uneventful recovery.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Best of wishes for your nephew My Lady
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

The plan for recovery right now is rest and recuperation with the braces, then a follow up this weekend or Monday for more Xrays, MRIs, etc to see if the bones are showing signs of natural recovery. The doctors were not wanting to put in nuts and bolts if Jaxon can heal on his own.