RIP Eddie Van Halen.

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

phred
Jedi Knight

RIP Eddie Van Halen.

Post by phred »

(CNN)Eddie Van Halen, the renowned lead guitarist of iconic rock group Van Halen, has died, according to a social media post by his son. He was 65.
"He was the best father I could ever ask for," his son, Wolf Van Halen, wrote in a note posted to Twitter. "Every moment I've shared with him on and off stage was a gift."
Wolf Van Halen, Eddie and Valerie Bertinelli's son, said his father died after a "long and arduous battle with cancer" on Tuesday morning. Van Halen went on to marry actress Janie Liszewski in 2009.
"My heart is broken and I don't think I'll ever fully recover from this loss," he added.

Eddie Van Halen, whose full name was Edward Lodewijk Van Halen, and his brother Alex Van Halen began performing together as teens, but formed the core of what would later become Van Halen after meeting David Lee Roth.
Over four decades, Van Halen released more than a dozen albums together.
Van Halen's guitar wizardry anchored the band through four turbulent decades of platinum albums, sold-out tours and a revolving door of lead singers, from Roth to Sammy Hagar to Gary Cherone and back to Hagar and Roth again.
In pictures: Remembering Eddie Van Halen
Photos: Remembering Eddie Van Halen
Van Halen performs "Beat It" with Michael Jackson during Jackson's Victory Tour in Irving, Texas. Van Halen famously lent his guitar chops to the song, a smash 1983 hit from the landmark "Thriller" album.
The band poses for a photo by the pool at Eddie's studio, 5150 Studio, in Los Angeles in 1985.
Singer-songwriter Sammy Hagar and Eddie hug at the Shout Disco in New York in 1985 at the MTV Awards Pre-Party.
Bertinelli and Van Halen, right, perform in the "Saturday Night Live" skit "Dinner at the Van Halens'" on February 28, 1987.
Hagar and Van Halen perform on guitars during the closing night of Monsters of Rock Tour 1988, an annual hard rock and heavy metal music festival, in Denver. They closed out the evening at Mile High Stadium to a crowd of nearly 50,000.
Van Halen accepts the award for Video of the Year for their song "Right Now" at the 1992 MTV Video Music Awards in Los Angeles.
Emmylou Harris, Van Halen and Joni Mitchell pose with their trophies at the 1996 Gibson Guitar Awards at the Hard Rock Cafe in Los Angeles.
Van Halen, left, hugs his son, Wolfgang, after announcing the band's North American tour in Los Angeles on August 13, 2007.
Van Halen performs at Sleep Train Amphitheater on September 30, 2015, in Chula Vista, California.
Comedian George Lopez and Van Halen attend a Los Angeles Lakers game against the Memphis Grizzlies at the Staples Center on April 2, 2017.
Eddie Van Halen plays guitar in 1993.
Van Halen tunes up backstage before a performance at Lewisham Odeon in England in May 1978, during the band's first world tour.
Eddie, left, smiles for a photo with his older brother Alex in May 1978.
Eddie Van Halen sits in the band's tour bus outside the Lewisham Odeon on May 27, 1978. On the table are cans of Colt 45, matches and a replica hand gun.
Van Halen strikes a pose at Tokyo Kōsei Nenkin Kaikan in June 1978.
The band poses for a photo on a wall in Kyoto in June 1978.
Van Halen performs at the Rainbow Theatre in Finsbury Park, London, in October 1978.
Van Halen and actress Valerie Bertinelli marry at St. Paul's Catholic Church in Westwood, California, on April 11, 1981. Together they had a son, Wolfgang. The couple divorced in 2007.
Van Halen poses with his guitar collection at his home in Los Angeles in 1982.
Van Halen performs "Beat It" with Michael Jackson during Jackson's Victory Tour in Irving, Texas. Van Halen famously lent his guitar chops to the song, a smash 1983 hit from the landmark "Thriller" album.
The band poses for a photo by the pool at Eddie's studio, 5150 Studio, in Los Angeles in 1985.
Singer-songwriter Sammy Hagar and Eddie hug at the Shout Disco in New York in 1985 at the MTV Awards Pre-Party.
Bertinelli and Van Halen, right, perform in the "Saturday Night Live" skit "Dinner at the Van Halens'" on February 28, 1987.
Hagar and Van Halen perform on guitars during the closing night of Monsters of Rock Tour 1988, an annual hard rock and heavy metal music festival, in Denver. They closed out the evening at Mile High Stadium to a crowd of nearly 50,000.
Van Halen accepts the award for Video of the Year for their song "Right Now" at the 1992 MTV Video Music Awards in Los Angeles.
Emmylou Harris, Van Halen and Joni Mitchell pose with their trophies at the 1996 Gibson Guitar Awards at the Hard Rock Cafe in Los Angeles.
Van Halen, left, hugs his son, Wolfgang, after announcing the band's North American tour in Los Angeles on August 13, 2007.
Van Halen performs at Sleep Train Amphitheater on September 30, 2015, in Chula Vista, California.
Comedian George Lopez and Van Halen attend a Los Angeles Lakers game against the Memphis Grizzlies at the Staples Center on April 2, 2017.
Eddie Van Halen plays guitar in 1993.
Van Halen tunes up backstage before a performance at Lewisham Odeon in England in May 1978, during the band's first world tour.
Eddie, left, smiles for a photo with his older brother Alex in May 1978.
Eddie Van Halen sits in the band's tour bus outside the Lewisham Odeon on May 27, 1978. On the table are cans of Colt 45, matches and a replica hand gun.
Van Halen strikes a pose at Tokyo Kōsei Nenkin Kaikan in June 1978.
The band poses for a photo on a wall in Kyoto in June 1978.
Van Halen performs at the Rainbow Theatre in Finsbury Park, London, in October 1978.
Van Halen and actress Valerie Bertinelli marry at St. Paul's Catholic Church in Westwood, California, on April 11, 1981. Together they had a son, Wolfgang. The couple divorced in 2007.
Van Halen poses with his guitar collection at his home in Los Angeles in 1982.
Van Halen performs "Beat It" with Michael Jackson during Jackson's Victory Tour in Irving, Texas. Van Halen famously lent his guitar chops to the song, a smash 1983 hit from the landmark Thriller album.
His solos crackled like lightning and powered all the band's signature songs: "Runnin' With the Devil," "Panama," "Hot For Teacher," "Why Can't This Be Love?" and of course "Jump" -- their only No. 1 hit -- which topped the pop singles charts in 1984.
Van Halen also famously lent his guitar chops to Michael Jackson for "Beat It," the smash 1983 hit from the landmark "Thriller" album that melded Jackson's silky pop with a harder rock edge.
Speaking to CNN in 2017 after making a charitable contribution to help raise money for school music programs, the Rock & Roll Hall of Famer noted the role music has played in his story.
"My whole life has been music," he told CNN's John Vause. "I could not imagine anything else."
As news of Van Halen's death broke, his friends and fellow musicians paid tribute to the one-of-a-kind talent. Hagar wrote on Twitter that he was left "heartbroken and speechless."
Gene Simmons of KISS wrote on Twitter: "Eddie was not only a Guitar God, but a genuinely beautiful soul."
Geezer Butler of Black Sabbath called Van Halen "one of the nicest, down to Earth men I have ever met and toured with."

"A true gent and true genius," he wrote on Twitter.
On Facebook, Ted Nugent said: "Thank you Eddie for vitalizing enriching and stimulating our lives with your brilliance gifts and vision. Jam on my friend. Jam on."

CNN's Stephanie Elam contributed to this report.
He will be missed.
"Siege warfare, French for spawn camp" WTYP podcast

It's so bad it wraps back around to awesome then back to bad again, then back to halfway between awesome and bad. Like if ed wood directed a godzilla movie - Duckie
Avrjoe
Redshirt

Re: RIP Eddie Van Halen.

Post by Avrjoe »

He will be missed for being the bedrock that could keep a band like Van Halen going when bands around it were collapsing under the pressures of ego.

He was also a positive example of how to be a star. So many great artists in music and comedy self destruct. Eddie was an example of carrying on with out letting success destroy you.
I used to be Median but life has made me Mean.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Absolute guitar god. The band front man got the lion's share of attention most of the time, but Ed Van Halen was a solid musician and a master of his craft.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-54446564
How Eddie Van Halen 'scared the hell out of a million guitarists'

Eddie Van Halen, who has died at the age of 65, opened up dozens of new possibilities for the electric guitar with his wildly inventive, and largely self-taught, techniques.

Combining lightning-quick, two-handed picking techniques with hammer-ons, pull-offs, complex harmonics and an array of innovative devices he patented, the guitarist became a pole star for generations of musicians.

"Ed's a once- or twice-in-a-century kind of guy," his friend Jerry Cantrell of Alice in Chains said earlier this year. "There's Hendrix, and there's Eddie Van Halen. Those two guys tilted the world on its axis."

Fellow guitar legend Joe Satriani reflected in 2015: "Eddie put the smile back in rock guitar at a time when it was all getting a bit broody. He also scared the hell out of a million guitarists because he was so damn good."
The son of a Dutch band leader, Van Halen was originally a pianist, playing at weddings and bar mitzvahs with his family after they emigrated to Pasadena, California, in 1962.

A prodigious talent, he beat 5,000 students to first prize in a local piano recital for four years in a row, despite being unable to read a note of music.
"I fooled my teacher for six years," he told Rolling Stone magazine in 1995. "He never knew. I'd watch his fingers, and I'd play it."

In his teens, he switched to drums, then guitar, and formed his first band with his brother Alex in 1964. The Broken Combs made their debut one lunchtime in Pasadena Elementary School, and cemented the siblings' desire to become professional musicians.

Eddie started out by imitating UK rock trio Cream, learning Eric Clapton's solos by note by note.

But it was watching Led Zeppelin at the Los Angeles Forum in the early 1970s that changed his guitar playing forever. A light bulb went off as Jimmy Page played the solo from Heartbreaker, using both hands to tap out notes on the neck of the guitar.

For Page, it was an opportunity to showboat - but Eddie took the technique and refined it, enabling him to play a seemingly impossible flurry of notes and pinched harmonics.

"It's like having a sixth finger on your left hand," he explained in 1978. "Instead of picking, you're hitting a note on the fretboard."
The approach was so revolutionary that Alex encouraged his brother to play with his back to the audience so other bands wouldn't steal it before Van Halen had a record deal.

Once their self-titled debut album was released in 1978, however, Eddie's fellow guitarists were dazzled.

"It was beyond mind blowing," said Ozzy Osbourne's guitarist Zakk Wylde. "I'm going, 'That can't be a guitar. What is that?"

LA punk musician Phast Phreddie Patterson wrote in a 1978 edition of Waxpaper: "Edward wails his guitar like his life depended on it. Boyishly grinning... like a kid with a new toy, he tries to get as many noises out of his instrument as electronically possible. The results are unbelievable."
Eddie never claimed to have invented the "two-handed tap" technique - classical guitarists had been using their picking hands to play notes their fretting hand would normally cover for years - but he did popularise it for the rock audience.

"And on top of that, I never really heard anyone do with it what I did," he said in a 2017 interview. "Which was actual pieces of music."

That, really, is the key. Eddie always prioritised melody and feeling over flamboyant technique. And while Van Halen's material leaned towards hard rock, they always employed catchy hooks and memorable riffs.

Some of his best work was his most economical. On the chorus of Jamie's Cryin', he replies to David Lee Roth's vocal ("Oh-oh-oh, Jamie's crying") with a simple two-note phrase that has all the taut precision of a Motown backing vocal.On record, he even kept his solos short, structuring them like mini-movements within songs, with a defined beginning, middle and end.

"I haven't heard anyone do a long interesting guitar solo outside of early Clapton," he observed.

One exception comes on Eruption, from Van Halen's debut album, which is simply 102 seconds of molten-hot finger work, as Eddie dive-bombs over the fretboard, incorporating both classical scales and his tapping technique.

The song was originally the guitarist's warm-up exercise, but when producer Ted Templeman overheard it, he smartly realised it was worth showcasing.

"I played it two or three times for the record, and we kept the one that seemed to flow," Eddie later recalled. "I didn't even play it right. There's a mistake at the top end of it. Whenever I hear it, I always think, man, I could have played that better."

Always a perfectionist, he even outdid Michael Jackson. After being asked to play on 1983's Beat It, Eddie not only recorded one of pop's most memorable solos, he rearranged the song.

"I didn't know how he would react," Eddie told CNN. "So I warned him before he listened. I said, 'Look, I changed the middle section of your song.'

"Now in my mind, he's either going to have his bodyguards kick me out for butchering his song, or he's going to like it. And so he gave it a listen, and he turned to me and went, 'Wow, thank you so much for having the passion to not just come in and blaze a solo, but to actually care about the song, and make it better.'"

According to legend, Eddie's 20-second solo on Beat It was so incendiary the speakers in the studio control room caught fire. In the heat, the seemingly insurmountable barrier between white rock and black pop was razed to the ground.

By the end of the 1980s, Van Halen's fingerprints were all over rock music - but the star dismissed many of his acolytes as "typewriter players".

"They all play as fast as they can, as loud as they can, scream as high as they can. But they don't even scream or play fast with a unique quality," he said in 1985. "It leaves me cold."

But while his playing style launched thousands of imitators, it wasn't Eddie's only innovation.

In 1985, he patented a device that allowed musicians to sling a guitar around their necks and lock it into a horizontal position to "create new techniques and sounds previously unknown to any player".

He also created a new type of guitar head and invented a device, known as the D-Tuna, that helped guitarists to switch between alternate tunings on the fly. Along with guitarist Floyd Rose, he even created a whammy bar that worked without leaving the strings out of tune.

Speaking to Popular Mechanics in 2015, Eddie said he had "always been a tinkerer" and started modifying his own instruments out of necessity.

"My playing style really grew from the fact that I couldn't afford a distortion pedal. I had to try to squeeze those sounds out of my guitar... so I started hammering away with a screwdriver."

Eddie's custom-made guitars gave Van Halen a unique tone and sound, while his famous Shark - which was cut into a 'Flying V' with a chainsaw - prompted dozens of aspiring guitarists to vandalise their instruments.

His souped-up "Frankenstrat" even featured in an exhibition at New York's Metropolitan Museum of Art last year.

"Nobody taught me how to do guitar work: I learned by trial and error," he told Guitar Player magazine. "I have messed up a lot of good guitars that way, but now I know what I'm doing, and I can do whatever I want to get them the way I want them. I hate store-bought, off-the-rack guitars."

The handicraft was evidence of an almost obsessive drive to conjure up the sounds Eddie Van Halen heard in his head. It probably didn't make him easy to work with - the band's internal politics and shifting line-ups were beyond complicated - but his love for, and impact on, rock music are hard to underestimate.

"When I'm home on a break, I lock myself in my room and play guitar," he told Guitar World in 1981. "After two or three hours, I start getting into this total meditation. It's a feeling few people experience, and that's usually when I come up with weird stuff. It just flows.

"If you're a musician you just play until you die. It's not an ordinary job."
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

I don't think I quite grasped just how formidable an artist the man was.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Simon_Jester wrote: 2020-10-12 02:02am I don't think I quite grasped just how formidable an artist the man was.
A lot of his inventions were things that only a Musician knew about, and in some cases only a Guitarist caught the innovation
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet