So what did I miss in the last JESUS CHRIST SEVEN YEARS

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Bounty
Emperor's Hand

So what did I miss in the last JESUS CHRIST SEVEN YEARS

Post by Bounty »

Hello. I'm Bounty. You may remember me from such topics as Star Trek, Testing shenanigans and an interest in computers.

tl;dr I bailed SDN right around the time I got properly diagnosed with a crippling panic disorder, got medicated, got a new degree, moved to China for a bit, came back, fell up the corporate ladder to senior something or other.

So what's been happening?
TimothyC
Of Sector 2814

Re: So what did I miss in the last JESUS CHRIST SEVEN YEARS

Post by TimothyC »

Bounty wrote: 2019-07-05 02:09pm Hello. I'm Bounty. You may remember me from such topics as Star Trek, Testing shenanigans and an interest in computers.

tl;dr I bailed SDN right around the time I got properly diagnosed with a crippling panic disorder, got medicated, got a new degree, moved to China for a bit, came back, fell up the corporate ladder to senior something or other.

The slide into inactivity has continued apace. It may have slowed down, but the echo-chamber-y nature of sections like N&P has fully taken hold. The cool kids™ hang out on the discord:

https://discord.gg/mk5u3p
"I believe in the future. It is wonderful because it stands on what has been achieved." - Sergei Korolev
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

The recent SW movies have boosted a bit of activity in PSW, but overall it's pretty much the same twenty... thirty? ish people chatting in here for pretty much the last few years.

You'd have enjoyed Archinist, though.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Tribble
Sith Devotee

Post by Tribble »

Elheru Aran wrote: 2019-07-05 03:35pm The recent SW movies have boosted a bit of activity in PSW, but overall it's pretty much the same twenty... thirty? ish people chatting in here for pretty much the last few years.

You'd have enjoyed Archinist, though.
Yes, Archinist is now our measuring stick for insane trolling and in hindsight I shouldn’t have complained so much as he made things interesting for awhile. Oh well, at least his sock puppet made a farewell tour :P
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - The official Troll motto, as stated by Adam Savage
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Bounty wrote: 2019-07-05 02:09pm Hello. I'm Bounty. You may remember me from such topics as Star Trek, Testing shenanigans and an interest in computers.

SirNitram is dead.

While waiting for a liver, after the West Virginia Water Crisis put him in the hospital January 2014, he was going rapidly downhill. Later, we found out the Water Company had NOT properly cleaned the filters, and there was still chemical leaking into the drinking water.

That may have contributed to his hip breaking at Midnight June 16th, which caused a fall, which instigated an internal bleed, that lead to multiple seizures (stroke? arrhythmia? myocardial infarction?) that left him with bleeding out of all orifices, and no recordable brain function.
I finally gave the word to turn off the machines at noon.

I lost the house, moved in with my Mom in a tiny town with absolutely jack shit for full-time employment, and last Friday the last of mine and Martin's cats, Mal-kitty, was put down due to cancer. That's three cats and a husband I've lost in 6yrs.
And my family wonders why some of my friends think I have PTSD, or just a REALLY FUCKING BAD case of Depression.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

TimothyC wrote: 2019-07-05 02:59pm

The slide into inactivity has continued apace. It may have slowed down, but the echo-chamber-y nature of sections like N&P has fully taken hold. The cool kids™ hang out on the discord:

I wouldn't call NandP an echo chamber. Its mostly "Left-wing", certainly, for a certain value of Left-wing, but there's a pretty clear split that mirrors the one between Bernie or Bust types and more moderate Dems in real life.

We did get a bit of an activity boost from Trump (in NandP) and the new Star Wars films.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2019-07-06 01:11am I wouldn't call NandP an echo chamber. Its mostly "Left-wing", certainly, for a certain value of Left-wing, but there's a pretty clear split that mirrors the one between Bernie or Bust types and more moderate Dems in real life.
The funny thing about people calling N&P a left wing echo chamber is that the fairly tough rules about evidence make it hard to defend common US right wing positions.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Last seven years...? Huh. Well, on a personal level my father, two nephews, and my husband died and I lost my home of 20 years.

Several people who used to be regular posters here seem to have left, and message boards are slowly going the way of the flip-phone so this place isn't nearly as active as it used to be.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

Seven years... Does that mean you missed The Salvation War?
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog
Themightytom
Sith Devotee

Post by Themightytom »

LadyTevar wrote: 2019-07-05 09:18pm

SirNitram is dead.

While waiting for a liver, after the West Virginia Water Crisis put him in the hospital January 2014, he was going rapidly downhill. Later, we found out the Water Company had NOT properly cleaned the filters, and there was still chemical leaking into the drinking water.

That may have contributed to his hip breaking at Midnight June 16th, which caused a fall, which instigated an internal bleed, that lead to multiple seizures (stroke? arrhythmia? myocardial infarction?) that left him with bleeding out of all orifices, and no recordable brain function.
I finally gave the word to turn off the machines at noon.

I lost the house, moved in with my Mom in a tiny town with absolutely jack shit for full-time employment, and last Friday the last of mine and Martin's cats, Mal-kitty, was put down due to cancer. That's three cats and a husband I've lost in 6yrs.
And my family wonders why some of my friends think I have PTSD, or just a REALLY FUCKING BAD case of Depression.
You've been through it all, I think that could get to anyone.

"Since when is "the west" a nation?"-Styphon
"ACORN= Cobra obviously." AMT
This topic is... oh Village Idiot. Carry on then.--Havok
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Themightytom wrote: 2019-07-06 06:29am You've been through it all, I think that could get to anyone.
It's been a rough 7 years. :(
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Themightytom
Sith Devotee

Post by Themightytom »

LadyTevar wrote: 2019-07-07 01:55pm
Themightytom wrote: 2019-07-06 06:29am You've been through it all, I think that could get to anyone.
You're still standing Lady, I think Sir Nitram would be proud.

"Since when is "the west" a nation?"-Styphon
"ACORN= Cobra obviously." AMT
This topic is... oh Village Idiot. Carry on then.--Havok
Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

LadyTevar wrote: 2019-07-07 01:55pm
I am sorry for your loss. SirNitram was a dick in the best possible way and he went far before his time.
Broomstick wrote: 2019-07-06 04:10am ast seven years...? Huh. Well, on a personal level my father, two nephews, and my husband died and I lost my home of 20 years.
I am very sorry to hear that. I hope I didn't bring up only the bad memories.

What about some of the other oldtimers from a decade ago? Dartzap? That walking anti-drug PSA Einhander? Valdemar? The N&P guy with the West Wing avatar?

... Schuyler even?
Ace Pace
Hardware Lover

Post by Ace Pace »

Bounty wrote: 2019-07-08 01:44pm What about some of the other oldtimers from a decade ago? Dartzap? That walking anti-drug PSA Einhander? Valdemar? The N&P guy with the West Wing avatar?

... Schuyler even?
Dartzap is quite active in the SDnet chat :)

Einhander is MiA. Valdemar, no idea.

Quite a few are still here, just less active.
Brotherhood of the Bear | HAB | Mess | SDnet archivist |
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

You missed all the Game of Thrones discussion!
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Bounty wrote: 2019-07-08 01:44pm
Broomstick wrote: 2019-07-06 04:10am ast seven years...? Huh. Well, on a personal level my father, two nephews, and my husband died and I lost my home of 20 years.
I am very sorry to hear that. I hope I didn't bring up only the bad memories.
Nope - I'm grateful for the 30 years I had with my husband, and for the time I had with the others. My grief support group has, in fact, discussed how that in many ways having the topic never spoken of hurts worse than a reminder now and again. If you love people some pain is inevitable, but it would be worse not to love and be loved by others.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

We‘ve moved from China to Elysium (Western Europe).

Other than that, I feel my stories would be slightly out of place as far as this thread goes, as they would be mostly positive. Visited the LHC, a bunch of UNESCO heritage sites, got more seriously into mountaineering, ascending to 2km above sea & higher with barely any equipment from around 700-800 m starting points... traveled around the world like a madman with only few years left to live... met quite a few folks from SDN over the last decade - and appreciate the friendships I‘ve made here.

Not much else to tell about life, really. Marriage is a great thing, even after a dozen years.

I still hang around, didn’t really get all those social networks and whatnot.
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Lì paludi, minacce, cecchini coi fucili, documenti, file notturne e clandestini
Qui incontri, lotte, passi sincronizzati, colori, capannelli non autorizzati,
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

...La tranquillità è importante ma la libertà è tutto!
Assalti Frontali
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

TimothyC wrote: 2019-07-05 02:59pm

i do not work in an environment that allows for discord, although we have a SDN AIM chatroom on twitter too
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Also, in the past 7 years:

Got married

Got a degree
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
The_Saint
Jedi Knight

Post by The_Saint »

Possibly still a bunch of lurkers like myself haunting the threads.
All people are equal but some people are more equal than others.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Lonestar wrote: 2019-07-09 12:58pm Also, in the past 7 years:

Got married

Got a degree
Can't match that, but in the last seven years I:

Got my first-ever full time job, then a second one.

Started a theatre career.

Wrote and directed a (very, very modest and low budget) theatrical adaptation of Sherlock Holmes.

Ran for municipal council.

Granted, most of that was in the last year, so... yay for one half-decent year following six years of mostly abject failure. :wink:
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

I think there's also been quite a bit of activity in FAN thanks to the MCU and the mess DC made of 'their' try to build a movie universe and the massively better done TV series'.
Oh, and for SciFi, 'The Orville'
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Oh, and if you use Millenium Falcon, avatars are now on the right.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
gigabytelord
Padawan Learner

Post by gigabytelord »

Well, you just got me to post for the first time in more than two years so there's something.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Batman wrote: 2019-07-19 08:15pm I think there's also been quite a bit of activity in FAN thanks to the MCU and the mess DC made of 'their' try to build a movie universe and the massively better done TV series'.
Oh, and for SciFi, 'The Orville'
Yup. And don't forget Game of Thrones. It and the MCU gave a big boost to the Fantasy forum between them.