OFF-TOPIC IS NOT FOR MOVIES/TV

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

OFF-TOPIC IS NOT FOR MOVIES/TV

Post by LadyTevar »

THIS IS NOT THE FORUM FOR MOVIES OR TV. THOSE GO IN EITHER SCI-FI OR FANTASY FORUMS!
THE NEXT MOVIE/TV POST PUT IN THIS FORUM WILL BE DELETED WITHOUT MERCY
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Re: OFF-TOPIC IS NOT FOR MOVIES/TV

Post by Gandalf »

Wouldn't that depend on the genre of the piece?
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

So, hypothetically, a discussion about the sitcom Cheers would go to the Fantasy forum?
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

The Big Bang Theory is sci-fi now then?
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Just today, I moved a post about the Sonic Movie, and a post about the Live-Action Akira movie.

Those are not Off-Topic subjects, those are Fantasy subjects, and should have gone in that folder. Over the last month, I have moved 3 other topics from this forum to Fantasy or SciFi, for the same reason.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

While I agree with you on principle you have to admit that people expect SciFi/FAN to apply to a reasonably well-defined subset of movies, not all movies altogether. Maybe we need an 'Other Fiction' subforum or something like that ?
Because if I wanted to discuss 'The Simpsons' or maybe 'Two and a half Men' I'd have defaulted to 'Off-Topic' too
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Tribble
Sith Devotee

Post by Tribble »

LadyTevar wrote: 2019-05-25 05:38pm Just today, I moved a post about the Sonic Movie, and a post about the Live-Action Akira movie.

Those are not Off-Topic subjects, those are Fantasy subjects, and should have gone in that folder. Over the last month, I have moved 3 other topics from this forum to Fantasy or SciFi, for the same reason.
Ya sorry I wasn’t sure whether A) something like Sonic is sci-fi or fantasy, so I defaulted to off topic instead and B) wasn’t sure whether a trailer would qualify for either.

I don’t post threads that often and I was actually trying to avoid having it moved.
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - The official Troll motto, as stated by Adam Savage
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

I would tend to put movie or series trailers which don't easily fit sci go or fantasy into OT, for example action flicks. I am quite happy to put them elsewhere, but would appreciate knowing where the powers that be think appropriate. Maybe as Batman suggest, another forum.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

LadyTevar wrote: 2019-05-25 05:38pm Just today, I moved a post about the Sonic Movie, and a post about the Live-Action Akira movie.

Where would one place a thread discussing television that clearly isn't sci-fi or fantasy, like those listed in this thread?
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Tribble wrote: 2019-05-25 09:01pm Ya sorry I wasn’t sure whether A) something like Sonic is sci-fi or fantasy, so I defaulted to off topic instead and B) wasn’t sure whether a trailer would qualify for either.

I don’t post threads that often and I was actually trying to avoid having it moved.
You seriously thought a movie about a VIDEO GAME, where a HEDGEHOG moves at SUPERSONIC SPEEDS, was NOT FANTASY?
:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

mr friendly guy wrote: 2019-05-26 04:48am I would tend to put movie or series trailers which don't easily fit sci go or fantasy into OT, for example action flicks. I am quite happy to put them elsewhere, but would appreciate knowing where the powers that be think appropriate. Maybe as Batman suggest, another forum.

People used to post those in ART MUSIC AND PHOTOS forum.

bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

LadyTevar wrote: 2019-05-26 02:58pm
Tribble wrote: 2019-05-25 09:01pm Ya sorry I wasn’t sure whether A) something like Sonic is sci-fi or fantasy, so I defaulted to off topic instead and B) wasn’t sure whether a trailer would qualify for either.

You seriously thought a movie about a VIDEO GAME, where a HEDGEHOG moves at SUPERSONIC SPEEDS, was NOT FANTASY?
A hedgehog who normally is fighting against hordes of robots. So I'd argue that Sci-Fi would also be a fitting forum for the franchise as a whole. For this movie in particular, Sonic is an alien. Again, that suggests Sci-Fi.

But there are significant claims to fantasy. Deciding which fits best seems like it would be a long, nitpicky, discussion.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Frankly, you could make a case for most mainstream "sci fi" to be fantasy. And the lengthy argument would be almost entirely pointless every single time.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

LadyTevar wrote: 2019-05-26 03:01pm
mr friendly guy wrote: 2019-05-26 04:48am I would tend to put movie or series trailers which don't easily fit sci go or fantasy into OT, for example action flicks. I am quite happy to put them elsewhere, but would appreciate knowing where the powers that be think appropriate. Maybe as Batman suggest, another forum.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=219

Literally from one of the earliest topics in OT and specifically involving a rather fantastic crossover.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=766

Probably best suited to fantasy being a comic.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=769

Should have been in GE&C.

People clearly never followed the guidelines which you find to be obvious and time tested. Why make a huge deal about it now when OT has always been a bit of a dumping ground?
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Because it gets annoying trying to find a thread when something worth posting in it has happened.

When I went looking for the Sonic movie thread, Off Topic was the forth forum I thought to look for it in after Sci-Fi, Fantasy and G&C.
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

bilateralrope wrote: 2019-05-26 05:43pm Because it gets annoying trying to find a thread when something worth posting in it has happened.

When I went looking for the Sonic movie thread, Off Topic was the forth forum I thought to look for it in after Sci-Fi, Fantasy and G&C.
Just use the active topics quick link. It works for all forums and sub-forums except for those located in sci-fi.
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Jub wrote: 2019-05-26 05:51pm
bilateralrope wrote: 2019-05-26 05:43pm Because it gets annoying trying to find a thread when something worth posting in it has happened.

Just use the active topics quick link. It works for all forums and sub-forums except for those located in sci-fi.
How many weeks does a topic stay 'active' for when nobody is posting in it ?

For the Sonic movie thread, we are talking more than 3 weeks between posts. But it was still on the front page of the forum it was in.
Tribble
Sith Devotee

Post by Tribble »

bilateralrope wrote: 2019-05-26 03:15pm
LadyTevar wrote: 2019-05-26 02:58pm

A hedgehog who normally is fighting against hordes of robots. So I'd argue that Sci-Fi would also be a fitting forum for the franchise as a whole. For this movie in particular, Sonic is an alien. Again, that suggests Sci-Fi.

But there are significant claims to fantasy. Deciding which fits best seems like it would be a long, nitpicky, discussion.
Yes, that was more or less the problem I was having. What counts more? Sonic being a fantasy creature, or Robotnik using sci-fi to fight him?
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - The official Troll motto, as stated by Adam Savage
Tribble
Sith Devotee

Post by Tribble »

I had other issues as well, like the power ring we see Sonic using: is it magic based, or is it some kind of sci-fi tech? What about the chaos emeralds if they show up? What if the above are based on magic, but Robotnik’s sci-fi tech can interface with them?

The Sonic franchise frequently blends magic with science which is what I find problematic.

Though now, that we have a ruling from an Admin, I guess it’s fantasy. Fair enough.

And In the future I’ll try my best to pick the more appropriate category rather than off topic, but I might need another judgement call from time to time.

I also second the idea that we should have a category for tv shows / movies which don’t fall into existing categories.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Blending magic with science is like every superhero comic ever and those usually go into FAN so that one should've been pretty straightforward but I don't see how stuff like say Lethal Weapon or NCIS (or House, or Scrubs, or The Expendables etc) is SciFi/FAN.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Jub wrote: 2019-05-26 04:05pm
LadyTevar wrote: 2019-05-26 03:01pm

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=219

Literally from one of the earliest topics in OT and specifically involving a rather fantastic crossover.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=766

Probably best suited to fantasy being a comic.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=769

Should have been in GE&C.

People clearly never followed the guidelines which you find to be obvious and time tested. Why make a huge deal about it now when OT has always been a bit of a dumping ground?
Dear God, I am 100% in agreement with Jub on something. :)
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

And this is why I created the Sam Malone pitcher thread. Because as fun as it is to categorize a fictional character's baseball career, I don't believe it's appropriate to be in fantasy, but it falls in there under current guidelines.
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2019-05-26 09:22pmDear God, I am 100% in agreement with Jub on something. :)
Often we argue the most with those who share too many of our own traits. I suspect that were we to ever meet over a drink we would actually find a lot of common ground. The lack of tone, lack of body language, lack of ability to clarify a statement or to read how to say something so that another better understands its meaning are all lost via text alone.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

In particular, the lack of ability to convey sarcasm over the internet is notorious.

bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Tribble wrote: 2019-05-26 07:43pm
bilateralrope wrote: 2019-05-26 03:15pm
LadyTevar wrote: 2019-05-26 02:58pm You seriously thought a movie about a VIDEO GAME, where a HEDGEHOG moves at SUPERSONIC SPEEDS, was NOT FANTASY?

Yes, that was more or less the problem I was having. What counts more? Sonic being a fantasy creature, or Robotnik using sci-fi to fight him?
I'd go with whatever precedent the board has if one exists. Otherwise just flip a coin and see if anyone complains.
Tribble wrote: 2019-05-26 08:03pm I also second the idea that we should have a category for tv shows / movies which don’t fall into existing categories.
I think Off Topic should suitable for things that don't fit into any other category. But if a topic can fit onto at least one other forum, it belongs in one of them.