Re: World Series

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

CUBBIES WIN!!!
CUBBIES WIN!!!
CUBBIES WIN!!!
They DONT loose!
108 year old curse put to bed!!!
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Highlord Laan
Jedi Master
Location: Christo-fundie Theofascist Dominion of Nebraskistan

CUBS WIN!

Post by Highlord Laan »

Never underestimate the ingenuity and cruelty of the Irish.
Scottish Ninja
Jedi Knight

Re: CUBS WIN!

Post by Scottish Ninja »

"If the flight succeeds, you swipe an absurd amount of prestige for a single mission. Heroes of the Zenobian Onion will literally rain upon you." - PeZook
"If the capsule explodes, heroes of the Zenobian Onion will still rain upon us. Literally!" - Shroom
Cosmonaut Ivan Ivanovich Ivanov (deceased, rain), Cosmonaut Petr Petrovich Petrov, Unnamed MASA Engineer, and Unnamed Zenobian Engineerski in Let's play: BARIS
Captain, MFS Robber Baron, PRFYNAFBTFC - "Absolute Corruption Powers Absolutely"
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

A bit of commentary on the historic win (the last time was 1908, right?) would be nice. Not just a picture and a link.
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Lì paludi, minacce, cecchini coi fucili, documenti, file notturne e clandestini
Qui incontri, lotte, passi sincronizzati, colori, capannelli non autorizzati,
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

...La tranquillità è importante ma la libertà è tutto!
Assalti Frontali
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

An historic win indeed for Chicago, though given how much their team cost relative to Cleveland it's not too shocking.

Congrats to Cleveland for taking the game to extra innings in game seven. That's insane.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Merging the threads.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

K. A. Pital wrote:A bit of commentary on the historic win (the last time was 1908, right?) would be nice. Not just a picture and a link.
Yes, the last time the Cubs won the World Series it was 1908.

The last time they were in the World Series at all was in 1945 (they lost to the Detroit Tigers). In Game 4 of that series Billy Goat Tavern owner Billy Sianis brought his pet goat and was asked to remove it (apparently the billy goat smelled... as billy goats tend to do) and Sianis cursed the Cubs

For decades various silly things were done (sometimes seriously) in an attempt to break the alleged curse.

Also, generations of families continued to support the Cubs despite their epic inability to win a championship, or even at times an ordinary ball game. Over a hundred years of "wait til next year!" echoed up and down streets around Wrigley Field (which wasn't even built the last time they won the Series). Cubs fans are fanatically loyal to their "lovable losers" and would party into the wee hours despite everything.

Another manifestation of multi-generational loyalty is the writing of the names of generations of Cubs fans on the brick walls of Wrigley Field since they won't the league pennant, all the fans who didn't live long enough to see them in the World Series along with well-wishes to the team. It wraps entirely around the ballpark.

This morning, at dawn, the party continues in Wrigleyville, in bars across the city, in homes, and in the streets. Chicago is making noise all night long for a happy reason. Absenteeism at work is expected to be rampant today as people with continue to celebrate or recover from hangovers. Being that Chicago and surrounding areas are thoroughly capitalist the sports stores opened early and many have already sold out of souvenir memorabilia (I expect my place of work had a delivery of shirts, caps, and various bits last night and we'll be selling a lot of them, if not all of them, to happy fans even way out here in Indiana)

Nice to see people filling the streets for a happy reason.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

And... the party just revived because the team has arrived back at Wrigley Field. Must have gotten on the buses around 1 am, it's about a 5 hour drive from Cleveland to Chicago. Lots of photo-ops with the trophy.

I wouldn't be surprised if the party lasts until sundown.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Alferd Packer
Sith Marauder

Post by Alferd Packer »

I peeked at the Wrigley Field Earthcam this morning, and there were still people hanging around at 6AM local time.

Man, that hangover's gonna hurt.
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance--that principle is contempt prior to investigation." -Herbert Spencer

"Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain." - Schiller, Die Jungfrau von Orleans, III vi.
Col. Crackpot
That Obnoxious Guy

Post by Col. Crackpot »

Alferd Packer wrote:I peeked at the Wrigley Field Earthcam this morning, and there were still people hanging around at 6AM local time.

Indeed. As a life long Red Sox fan I know the agony and ecstasy the Cubs fans have experienced... My morning after on 2004 was a bitch. Chicago, enjoy this moment because even if you win again, you will never have this feeling again... on behalf of Red Sox Nation: "Go Cubs Go! go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, whattaya' say, The Cubs are gonna win today!".

Also you should probably check on Bill Murray and make sure he's not dead in a gutter under a pile of bottles and blow.
"This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we’ll be lucky to live through it.” -Tom Clancy
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

It got really cold here all of the sudden.
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Alferd Packer wrote:I peeked at the Wrigley Field Earthcam this morning, and there were still people hanging around at 6AM local time.

It is currently 5 pm and there are STILL people hanging around Wrigley Field and the local news at that time showed a live video of some of them passing around a bottle of champagne.

Yeah, EPIC hangover.

There's a parade tomorrow. Definitely some folks are making this a four-day weekend.

Meanwhile, at work, we were supposed to get a shipment of Official World Series T-shirts at 8 am. They didn't arrive until 2:30, when I was supposed to get off work but they asked me to stay a bit and help with getting them out on display. Which was a bit of a laugh because one lady customer was trying to pry open a shipping box on her own before we could get it unloaded off the handcart. Just a bit crazy.

You've heard the expression "hot off the press"? The shirts were still warm, and it certainly wasn't because it was a hot day outside.

Got two t-shirts, one for me and one for the spouse. Yeah, contagious crazy. Of course, the employee discount helped, too.

Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

And... 9 pm and there are STILL fans celebrating outside Wrigley Field.

Tomorrow's parade route from Wrigley Field to the south end of the Loop. That is a long parade route!

U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

Crossroads Inc. wrote:CUBBIES WIN!!!
CUBBIES WIN!!!
CUBBIES WIN!!!
They DONT loose!
108 year old curse put to bed!!!
And, there was barbecued goat for everyone.
"Beware the Beast, Man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone amongst God's primates, he kills for sport, for lust, for greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of Death.."
—29th Scroll, 6th Verse of Ape Law
"Indelible in the hippocampus is the laughter. The uproarious laughter between the two, and their having fun at my expense.”
---Doctor Christine Blasey-Ford
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Images of the Cubs Rally in Grant Park today:

Pulling back from the stage:
Crowd density photo...

Initial crowd estimate is 5 million. I have my doubts about that, as there are only about 2.75 million people who live in the city proper, but if that is anywhere near a valid number it illustrates just how crazy not just the city itself but the whole region is over this.

Metra, the mass transit from outside Chicago city limits, says they had the busiest day in their history ever today as people took trains into the city. Parking lots were filling up by 9 am this morning. Really, it's just fucking insane. (Metra lines extend all the way into the southern edge of Wisconsin and halfway to Iowa. The railroad that links Indiana to Chicago also had a similar busy day.)

Anyhow, still very happy the crowds are happy and largely trouble-free (I expect there have been a few problems just given the sheer numbers involved, but really, very well behaved masses of people).

Oh, and the Chicago newspapers are still printing additional copies of Thursdays newspaper editions because people are still demanding them because of the headlines. OK, get that - people are buying yesterday's newspapers.

Col. Crackpot
That Obnoxious Guy

Post by Col. Crackpot »

http://www.fox32chicago.com/news/local/215601786-story

The victory celebration ranks as the seventh largest gathering in human history.

Fucking mind boggling!
"This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we’ll be lucky to live through it.” -Tom Clancy
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

There are a lot of doubts about the accuracy of that figure.

Even allowing for the parade route being 10 kilometers long, a figure of 5 million would mean literally half of the people in the greater Chicago area (including into Indiana) would have to be present for that figure to be accurate.

Now, yes, a LOT of people attended, to the point schools and businesses shut down for the day, but that is a LOT of people to funnel into and out of a relatively small area. Granted, Metra, the CTA, and the South Shore Rail Road all report record days of use but Metra has a capacity of about a half million a day, the CTA about 2 million, and the South Shore maybe 20,000, so about 2.5 million via mass transit. Which means 2.5 million would either have to drive in or been in close proximity to the route (basically, living along it).

Possible, I suppose, but that's starting to strain credulity.

I certainly can believe it's the largest crowd ever in Chicago for an event.