Emmigrating from the USA

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Enforcer Talen
Warlock

Emmigrating from the USA

Post by Enforcer Talen »

So, I'm getting antsy about the political environment, and I know some of the other intellectuals are pondering it themselves. What goes into the thought process? What does one do to prepare? What jobs or skill sets should I be grabbing before I go? Are degrees important, languages? What should I expect? What other questions should I be asking before I go? I'm looking at Canada, the EU, or the English speaking countries.
This day is Fantastic!
Myers Briggs: ENTJ
Political Compass: -3/-6
DOOMer WoW
"I really hate it when the guy you were pegging as Mr. Worst Case starts saying, "Oh, I was wrong, it's going to be much worse." " - Adrian Laguna
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Re: Emmigrating from the USA

Post by General Zod »

Without a degree you're going to have a hard time successfully immigrating, but I think it really varies from country to country in terms of desired skills. You'll also want a sizable savings (6 months at least), and having a potential employer who can vouch for your entry while there is a huge plus. Each country is going to have their own sets of criteria to determine how easy you'll have it that you should be able to find on their immigration websites.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

You can find a fairly comprehensive info set on Australia's www.immi.gov.au website.
Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

I too am agitated over the current political environment. That is a big reason why I am staying. If I leave I cannot help make things better.
"If the facts are on your side, pound on the facts. If the law is on your side, pound on the law. If neither is on your side, pound on the table."

"The captain claimed our people violated a 4,000 year old treaty forbidding us to develop hyperspace technology. Extermination of our planet was the consequence. The subject did not survive interrogation."
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

If you have skills and speak French, Canada seems an easy destination for Americans. If you have an employer (which shouldn't be too hard if you talk to an HR company or have skills) Australia is pretty easy, too.
Losonti Tokash
Sith Devotee

Post by Losonti Tokash »

Medical skills are fantastic to have, pretty much anywhere you go. Don't even need extensive training, just anything above first responder puts you above most of the population.
Akhlut
Sith Devotee

Post by Akhlut »

Depending on how recently your ancestors immigrated to the US, you might have an easy time of picking up citizenship in an EU country. For instance, my grandfather was Greek, so I can drive to the nearest Greek consulate with the various paperwork proving his Greek citizenship and my descent from him and I could get Greek citizenship. I'm not sure about other countries, but I imagine several of them have similar sorts of requirements for citizenship from descent of a citizen.

Otherwise, make sure you have as many copies of your various paperwork as you possibly can. You don't want to be living there for 2 months and lose a piece of paper that stands in the way of you and deportation or other Bad Consequences. I'd also suggest opening up a bank account once you get to the country of your choice and getting a safe deposit box, if at all possible, to place your spare official, notorized copies of your paperwork.
SDNet: Unbelievable levels of pedantry that you can't find anywhere else on the Internet!
Phantasee
Was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich stärker.

Post by Phantasee »

Stark wrote:If you have skills and speak French, Canada seems an easy destination for Americans. If you have an employer (which shouldn't be too hard if you talk to an HR company or have skills) Australia is pretty easy, too.
As long as you have English or French, you're good. You don't need both (although it is a plus).

Relevant website: http://www.cic.gc.ca
XXXI
Lagmonster
Master Control Program
Master Control Program

Post by Lagmonster »

Phantasee wrote:
Stark wrote:If you have skills and speak French, Canada seems an easy destination for Americans. If you have an employer (which shouldn't be too hard if you talk to an HR company or have skills) Australia is pretty easy, too.
As long as you have English or French, you're good. You don't need both (although it is a plus).

It's an easy plus for people who live in Quebec or any city on the border with Quebec. Everywhere else, you speak French and you'd be lucky if someone doesn't look at you funny. Hell, if you moved to Vancouver I'd suggest learning Chinese as a second language before I'd recommend French.
Note: I'm semi-retired from the board, so if you need something, please be patient.
Lagmonster
Master Control Program
Master Control Program

Post by Lagmonster »

Alyeska wrote:I too am agitated over the current political environment. That is a big reason why I am staying. If I leave I cannot help make things better.
Come on, don't suppress the boy's natural urge to put down roots in a foreign land. I'm tired of going to the mall and seeing nothing but "help wanted" signs as far as the eye can see.
Note: I'm semi-retired from the board, so if you need something, please be patient.
Phantasee

Post by Phantasee »

There are quite a few French-speaking communities here in Alberta, though. And I imagine Manitoba as well?

But yeah, there are jobs to be had here in Alberta, especially if you've got some skills. You can actually go work in the mines! It's really not as bad as it sounds. If you have any training in a trade or even a heavy equipment operator ticket, you can be making good money while barely paying any day-to-day living expenses. Free room, free food, some companies even give you free transportation home for the week you have off every month. You can save up a good nest egg working up north for a year, and then you can do anything, school, start your own business, etc.
XXXI
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

That's what I've heard as well. I've thought about moving up to the Toronto area - I have a lot of family up there.

I have another question, and I haven't really been able to find a definitive answer. If you're the son of a British citizen but not a citizen yourself (I have American citizenship), would that give you a leg-up in getting British citizenship? I'm not seriously considering immigrating to the UK right now, but I'm curious about the options.
“It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.”
-Jean-Luc Picard

"Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them."
-Margaret Atwood
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Guardsman Bass wrote:That's what I've heard as well. I've thought about moving up to the Toronto area - I have a lot of family up there.

I have another question, and I haven't really been able to find a definitive answer. If you're the son of a British citizen but not a citizen yourself (I have American citizenship), would that give you a leg-up in getting British citizenship? I'm not seriously considering immigrating to the UK right now, but I'm curious about the options.
You might be entitled to dual nationality, but you'd have to check with immigration authorities for a definitive answer.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Lagmonster wrote:
Phantasee wrote:

It's an easy plus for people who live in Quebec or any city on the border with Quebec. Everywhere else, you speak French and you'd be lucky if someone doesn't look at you funny. Hell, if you moved to Vancouver I'd suggest learning Chinese as a second language before I'd recommend French.
The Canadian immigration website informs me that simply having conversational French significantly increases the strength of your application. You still need skills and experience, but it adds up.

If your father is a British citizen I believe you can just show up and become one yourself.
Phantasee

Post by Phantasee »

One popular way to immigrate to Canada is to come on a work permit, which opens up several streams to permanent immigration. We have had several drivers work for us on a work permit, and a few of them have gone on to get their Permanent Resident cards (like a Green card). Once you've got one of those it's just a matter of a few years before you become a citizen.

One of the popular streams is through the Alberta Immigrant Nominee Program. There is a list of ways to immigrate to Alberta here. That site also has a fair bit of information about the province itself; check out the interactive map under 'Explore Alberta'.
XXXI
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Post by Alyrium Denryle »

So, I'm getting antsy about the political environment, and I know some of the other intellectuals are pondering it themselves. What goes into the thought process? What does one do to prepare? What jobs or skill sets should I be grabbing before I go? Are degrees important, languages? What should I expect? What other questions should I be asking before I go? I'm looking at Canada, the EU, or the English speaking countries.

1) Have a job lined up. A degree also helps. If you go to europe, you do NOT want to be competing with people who graduated from their secondary education systems.

2) Have significant savings

3) Speak the most common language of the country you are moving to.

For example, before I leave and move to one of the german speaking countries, I will be brushing up on my atrophied german skills. I will also have a post-doc or research position lined up before I go.
GALE Force Biological Agent/
BOTM/Great Dolphin Conspiracy/
Entomology and Evolutionary Biology Subdirector:SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences

There is Grandeur in the View of Life; it fills me with a Deep Wonder, and Intense Cynicism.

Factio republicanum delenda est
fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Post by fgalkin »

Enforcer Talen wrote:So, I'm getting antsy about the political environment, and I know some of the other intellectuals are pondering it themselves. What goes into the thought process? What does one do to prepare? What jobs or skill sets should I be grabbing before I go?
Driving and manual labor. You know that Pakistani cab driver or Mexican handyman? That's you, if you're emigrating without a specific invitation from an employer.

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
Pu-239
Sith Marauder

Post by Pu-239 »

What are the prospects for an Computer/Electrical Engineer? I'll be finishing my master's and looking for a job in Fall 2012. My sentiments echo Alyeska's, but a contingency plan would be nice. I do have relatives in Canada.

ah.....the path to happiness is revision of dreams and not fulfillment... -SWPIGWANG
Sufficient Googling is indistinguishable from knowledge -somebody
Anything worth the cost of a missile, which can be located on the battlefield, will be shot at with missiles. If the US military is involved, then things, which are not worth the cost if a missile will also be shot at with missiles. -Sea Skimmer

George Bush makes freedom sound like a giant robot that breaks down a lot. -Darth Raptor
Phantasee

Post by Phantasee »

http://www5.hrsdc.gc.ca/noc/english/noc ... lcome.aspx
Use the Working in Canada tool to find information about possible professions. Try computer engineer and electrical engineer, and whatever other terms you think appropriate. It will give you an idea of what kind of work and how much work is available in the place of your choice. For you, there is probably a fair bit of work in Ontario, but check out BC and Alberta as well.
XXXI
D.Turtle
Jedi Council Member

Post by D.Turtle »

Pu-239 wrote:What are the prospects for an Computer/Electrical Engineer? I'll be finishing my master's and looking for a job in Fall 2012. My sentiments echo Alyeska's, but a contingency plan would be nice. I do have relatives in Canada.
Found this really great site from the EU about job vacancies in the EU.

Putting in electrical engineer finds some 4500 jobs throughout the EU with 3600 of those in Germany.
Raw Shark
Stunt Driver / Babysitter

Post by Raw Shark »

fgalkin wrote:
Enforcer Talen wrote:So, I'm getting antsy about the political environment, and I know some of the other intellectuals are pondering it themselves. What goes into the thought process? What does one do to prepare? What jobs or skill sets should I be grabbing before I go?
Driving and manual labor. You know that Pakistani cab driver or Mexican handyman? That's you, if you're emigrating without a specific invitation from an employer.
Luckily, driving a cab is awesome. Follow your joy.

"Do I really look like a guy with a plan? Y'know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it! Y'know, I just do things..." --The Joker
Phantasee

Post by Phantasee »

I've been thinking of getting my city taxi license, actually. Rent a car for the weekend, make some dough on Friday/Saturday nights, plus Christmas break. The list of addresses you have to memorize is pretty daunting, though.
XXXI
Skgoa
Jedi Master

Post by Skgoa »

Or get one of those GPS + road map thingies. (Don't know what its called in english.)
http://www.politicalcompass.org/test
Economic Left/Right: -7.12
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.74

This is pre-WWII. You can sort of tell from the sketch style, from thee way it refers to Japan (Japan in the 1950s was still rebuilding from WWII), the spelling of Tokyo, lots of details. Nothing obvious... except that the upper right hand corner of the page reads "November 1931." --- Simon_Jester
Skgoa
Jedi Master

Post by Skgoa »

D.Turtle wrote:
Pu-239 wrote:What are the prospects for an Computer/Electrical Engineer? I'll be finishing my master's and looking for a job in Fall 2012. My sentiments echo Alyeska's, but a contingency plan would be nice. I do have relatives in Canada.
Found this really great site from the EU about job vacancies in the EU.

Putting in electrical engineer finds some 4500 jobs throughout the EU with 3600 of those in Germany.
Thanks, thats very helpful for me, since I plan to emmigrate from Germany as soon as possible. :) The only problem is that I don't speak icelandish, swedish, etc.. :D Is there an option to view thos vacancies in english or german?
http://www.politicalcompass.org/test
Economic Left/Right: -7.12
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.74

This is pre-WWII. You can sort of tell from the sketch style, from thee way it refers to Japan (Japan in the 1950s was still rebuilding from WWII), the spelling of Tokyo, lots of details. Nothing obvious... except that the upper right hand corner of the page reads "November 1931." --- Simon_Jester
Eleas
Jaina Dax

Post by Eleas »

Skgoa wrote:
D.Turtle wrote:Found this really great site from the EU about job vacancies in the EU.

Thanks, thats very helpful for me, since I plan to emmigrate from Germany as soon as possible. :) The only problem is that I don't speak icelandish, swedish, etc.. :D Is there an option to view thos vacancies in english or german?
I don't know about Iceland, but as an electrical engineer fluent or conversant in English, you should have little trouble getting the job here (with the caveat that I'm still speaking in relative terms; if you come here and the job market sucks, you're obviously going to feel it).

The biggest problem for native English speakers, as I've understood it, is that you can put off learning Swedish for years. There's not a pressing incentive to do so, and most people you meet who aren't age 60+ are going to take the opportunity to practise.
Björn Paulsen

"Travelers with closed minds can tell us little except about themselves."
--Chinua Achebe