How to make hay bales the old-fashioned way (big pictures)

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

How to make hay bales the old-fashioned way (big pictures)

Post by LaCroix »

People are always talking about the good old times. We even had threads about how we would fare in a medieval setting.

As you know, with husbandry, there comes hay, and if you don't have a huge barn you don't mind filling to the roof with loose hay - which is also dangerous, for several reasons - you need some more efficient way of storage.

This is how a bale press would look like if you don't have any machines to drive it.

I'm writing this how-to for maybe some people have rabbits or other animals at home, and might want to make their own hay.
In my case, I don't want to put the acre of yard to waste by using a normal lawn-mower (as my horses like hay very much), and no one comes with the tractor and the baler for the few dozen bales it puts out. It's fun and less expensive, too.

Feel free to put it in the Maximizing Your Personal Resources / Surviving the Future thread, but I think it deserves it's own.

Front:
Side:
As you see, it has a rudimentary similarity to a potato/garlic press, we just don't want the stuff pour out of holes in the bottom.
The plate needs to be a stiff connection, I made it pivoting at first, didn't work at all. The plate fits with an quarter to half-inch air on all sides, you actually need to push the hay a bit clear of the back to insert it properly, or it might stick. No problem, as the press being filled to that mark is the point you should start compressing, anyway. I might mark that fill level for easier working, later.

See the string ends dangling on the front? Those are needed later, I usually secure them by putting them under the belt...

Let's take a look at the inside:
The string is inserted, and runs out in the back. See the four nail pairs holding the string in position on the base plate.
The slits on the back side are important, the front ones not so, but I put them in so I can view progress better - I'll draw a line across them later as a mark, so I can have equal sized bales. But they also turned out to come handy in keeping the string from being pushed down along with the hay...

Now, we close the hatch, secure it with the belt and start putting loose hay in and push it down a bit with a rake, so the bottom is well covered (or the string might slip when tying, I found out about that after the first two or three bales.)
Repeat that stuff-push cycle until the press is full to the brim...

Then you insert the press and push down.
Fill again and repeat until you think it's compressed enough.
Remember the string ends on the front? Put them over the hay so they stick out through the top of the back slits, and put the press back in.
Then, place an (in my case attractive) counterweight on the lever
Pull the strings under the belt, tighten them and tie the ends.
Best practice is to tie the lower end around the upper with a loop first, and then tension the string by pulling the lower end up before tying it, too. Although the expansion of the hay will tighten the string even more, the tighter you tie the knot, the better it will hold up.
Gently remove your counterweight.

Open hatch and marvel at your creation:
before pulling it out
and putting another string in to start over again.

With as little practice as we have, we are able to make ~10 bales an hour, which roughly equals ~1000m² of our lawn. YMMV, depending on grass length.

Bales are tough, 30x45x90 cm(12x18x36 inches) - standard size - and weight about 10 kg, depending of pressure. With my wife and the 4:1 lever, we could theoretically put a final pressure of 200kg on them, we are still experimenting with how much more we can stuff in, but 15kg would be possible, I guess.

Also, these bales are much better for horses, as they are completely dust-free, since most of the dust in hay comes from the machines making them (They rake the stuff up pretty brutal, and lot's of earth and stuff gets in), and much better quality, as the machines loose much of the finer hay structure, leaves and blossoms in the violent process. As we don't need the turning machines, just a relatively gentle rake, as well, once a day for the three days of drying, we get the full package. It smells just like herbal tea, instead of the 'dusty' smell of 'industrial' hay.

And, just to say it again, it actually makes a lot of fun.
A minute's thought suggests that the very idea of this is stupid. A more detailed examination raises the possibility that it might be an answer to the question "how could the Germans win the war after the US gets involved?" - Captain Seafort, in a thread proposing a 1942 'D-Day' in Quiberon Bay

I do archery skeet. With a Trebuchet.
salm
Rabid Monkey

Re: How to make hay bales the old-fashioned way (big picture

Post by salm »

Austrians... :roll:

Nah, congrats on the haymaker. Looks cool. :)
Deathstalker
Jedi Council Member

Post by Deathstalker »

LaCroix says, "That wasn't so bad, how long did it take us, 10 minutes?"

Wife says, "It took us three hours." :lol:

Clever machine though.
The_Saint
Jedi Knight

Post by The_Saint »

mmm great... between Christmas and New Years we'll have 9 acres to bale if you want to come lend a hand :lol:

Nifty though.. more efficient as well considering the amount standard balers leave on the ground.
All people are equal but some people are more equal than others.
LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Post by LaCroix »

:D

It took three hours to build the thing. After having the odds and ends worked out, a bale takes less than 5 minutes.

@Saint: I got 36 acres to bale, myself, so I must politely decline. Also, the airplane ticket alone would make your bales priced like gold... As I said, this thing is only to bale the garden, which is just one acre, and I don't want Tractor tire marks in the lawn...

And yes, it's rather efficient, you can even weed out unwanted plants, like big thistles as you just pull them out before pressing...
A minute's thought suggests that the very idea of this is stupid. A more detailed examination raises the possibility that it might be an answer to the question "how could the Germans win the war after the US gets involved?" - Captain Seafort, in a thread proposing a 1942 'D-Day' in Quiberon Bay

The_Saint
Jedi Knight

Post by The_Saint »

LaCroix wrote:...the airplane ticket alone would make your bales priced like gold...
The price they charge around here sometimes they might as well be gold.

We produce the little bales like yours but last time we had to buy more in we got some decent bales which were 1.4x1.4x3 metres and weighing in at 400 kg of oaten hay were a pain in the arse to move.

Weeding out thistles is alright I guess... though it's the snakes that need weeding out that I have issues with.
LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Post by LaCroix »

The_Saint wrote:
LaCroix wrote:...the airplane ticket alone would make your bales priced like gold...

We produce the little bales like yours but last time we had to buy more in we got some decent bales which were 1.4x1.4x3 metres and weighing in at 400 kg of oaten hay were a pain in the arse to move.

Weeding out thistles is alright I guess... though it's the snakes that need weeding out that I have issues with.
Snakes? *Looks at location* Oh... I see what you mean. The worst I ever found in the hay was a deer leg...

The big squares are a gift from the devil if you don't have a front-loader. The big round bales are rather easy to move, if you got two grown men and a bit of time. They weight about the same, but being round takes the edge off. (Since I only have my 'counter weight' for help, round bales are hard work still, although she's stronger than she looks.)

What do they charge you per bale? I buy the bales at 1.60 € for small, and 20€ for big rounds or big squares. The price for baling is about half.

weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

The_Saint wrote:

I always had a special dislike for haymaking time. Between the snakes in the grass, the spiders in the barn and the fucking allergies, it was generally a shitty week or two of my year.
LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Post by LaCroix »

weemadando wrote:I always had a special dislike for haymaking time. Between the snakes in the grass, the spiders in the barn and the fucking allergies, it was generally a shitty week or two of my year.
Three cheers to living in Europe, where the most venomous snake in my area is like a Hornet sting. :D We do have some grass snakes in our area, who take care of the millions of frogs. I seldom encounter them, but my wife has a gift. She squeaks adorable when she does. I then relocate the poor thing to the frog-infested areas.

Our spiders are OK, they eat the flies and mosquitoes, and leave people alone. I had serious arachnophobia, but after moving here, and my wife being a real girl around them, I coped. Now I find them fascinating. Especially garden spiders, which are our biggest. I don't care much for the yellow sac spider, which is our most toxic.

And I feel your pain. After moving here, I found out that I am allergic to Hungarian grass types. Never had problems in Austria... Yay me!

The_Saint
Jedi Knight

Post by The_Saint »

Must admit most snakes found are remnants from when the slasher has cut the hay... then again we have found a tiger half way up a barn hunting mice.... I'm sure I managed to teleport through the bales on my way out.

Biggest risk is stacking the truck... most of the paddocks have a decent slope on them and there's been plenty of times when loads ahve come off. I'm still trying to figure out the physics where sitting/standing on top of the hay on the truck (~4m high) and the bales fall off.... you hit the ground first and the hay lands on you... wtf is up with that.

@ LaCroix: depending on how well the season has been in the state/on the island and how close to winter bales tend to go between 5 and 10 $AU, the last big square bales were ~AU$80 and rounds are similar although I have seen them over AU$100.
LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Post by LaCroix »

The_Saint wrote:Must admit most snakes found are remnants from when the slasher has cut the hay... then again we have found a tiger half way up a barn hunting mice.... I'm sure I managed to teleport through the bales on my way out.

Biggest risk is stacking the truck... most of the paddocks have a decent slope on them and there's been plenty of times when loads ahve come off. I'm still trying to figure out the physics where sitting/standing on top of the hay on the truck (~4m high) and the bales fall off.... you hit the ground first and the hay lands on you... wtf is up with that.

@ LaCroix: depending on how well the season has been in the state/on the island and how close to winter bales tend to go between 5 and 10 $AU, the last big square bales were ~AU$80 and rounds are similar although I have seen them over AU$100.
A tiger in the barn? Where the hell are you living? :shock: I'll sure have to tell this to my wife the next time she complains about wasp nests.

Oh yeah, that is nice. I was once riding on a trailer full of stacked hay, easily 6m above ground when we rode back. And the stupid driver floored the gas ahead of a sharp turn. When the whole trailer started tilting, me and my buddy on top jumped up and started running in the other direction. Thus we managed to land on some of the bales. Still, hurt like hell and we were looking as if a harvester had run us over. Nasty.

And your bales are truly golden... I should start exporting mine to you. Where exactly should I ship them to? COD, of course... :D

weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

LaCroix wrote:
The_Saint wrote:Must admit most snakes found are remnants from when the slasher has cut the hay... then again we have found a tiger half way up a barn hunting mice.... I'm sure I managed to teleport through the bales on my way out.

A tiger in the barn? Where the hell are you living? :shock: I'll sure have to tell this to my wife the next time she complains about wasp nests.
Tiger snake. We don't have tigers in Tassie (anymore).
Oh yeah, that is nice. I was once riding on a trailer full of stacked hay, easily 6m above ground when we rode back. And the stupid driver floored the gas ahead of a sharp turn. When the whole trailer started tilting, me and my buddy on top jumped up and started running in the other direction. Thus we managed to land on some of the bales. Still, hurt like hell and we were looking as if a harvester had run us over. Nasty.
Yeah, there's nothing like a good gradient and an ambitiously overloaded truck. Even better is being on top of said pile of hay when a driver forgets that they're not a 2m tall object anymore, but a 5m tall object and you have to bail in order to avoid getting cleaned up by trees.
LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Post by LaCroix »

weemadando wrote:Tiger snake. We don't have tigers in Tassie (anymore).
Once again, glad I'm in Europe (for both reasons...)
Yeah, there's nothing like a good gradient and an ambitiously overloaded truck. Even better is being on top of said pile of hay when a driver forgets that they're not a 2m tall object anymore, but a 5m tall object and you have to bail in order to avoid getting cleaned up by trees.
Yeah, the joys of living at the countryside... *chews his grass stalk, sitting on his porch*

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

My state's been in a 4yr drought. Straw bales alone are $5 per small bale (used for archery and other SCA activities). I don't even want to think what the fodder bales are going for, but people are selling off animals they can't feed.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Post by LaCroix »

I see an export market emerging...

Death from the Sea
Sith Devotee

Post by Death from the Sea »

I recently got an email with pictures of the large round hay bales that had false compartments inside and were used to smuggle drugs with pictures of the end of the bale pulled off and the kilos visible in the bale, I was thinking this was going that direction when I saw the thread title. But this is neat too.
"War.... it's faaaaaantastic!" <--- Hot Shots:Part Duex
"Psychos don't explode when sunlight hits them, I don't care how fucking crazy they are!"~ Seth from Dusk Till Dawn
|BotM|Justice League's Lethal Protector
LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Post by LaCroix »

Shhht! No one needs to know that I want to export Hungarian weed... Literally, in this case... :mrgreen: