Quote of the Week suggestions and feedback

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Haruko
Jedi Master

Re: Quote of the Week suggestions and feedback

Post by Haruko »

"Everybody lies... every day, every hour, awake, asleep, in his dreams, in his joy, in his mourning. If he keeps his tongue still his hands, his feet, his eyes, his attitude will convey deception."
-- Mark Twain
If The Infinity Program were not a forum, it would be a pie-in-the-sky project.
Faith is both the prison and the open hand.”— Vienna Teng, "Augustine."
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

"Life is a shipwreck - but we must not forget to sing in the lifeboats" - Voltaire
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Panzersharkcat
Jedi Council Member

Post by Panzersharkcat »

"We must have a police state in this country or immigrants will come here and support the creation of a police state." - Ryan W. McMaken on the "pro-freedom" anti-immigration position
"I'm just reading through your formspring here, and your responses to many questions seem to indicate that you are ready and willing to sacrifice realism/believability for the sake of (sometimes) marginal increases in gameplay quality. Why is this?"
"Because until I see gamers sincerely demanding that if they get winged in the gut with a bullet that they spend the next three hours bleeding out on the ground before permanently dying, they probably are too." - J.E. Sawyer
StarSword
Jedi Knight

Re: Quote of the Week suggestions

Post by StarSword »

Murphy's Laws of Combat wrote:
  • Odd objects attract fire. You are odd.
  • Friendly fire isn't, suppressive fire isn't, and recoilless rifles aren't.
  • If it's stupid but it works, it isn't stupid.
  • Don't look for the bullet with your name on it. Look for the shrapnel addressed to "Occupant".
  • When the pin is pulled, Mr. Grenade is not your friend.
(There's lots more at http://www.military-quotes.com/murphy.htm.)
Star Carrier by Ian Douglas: Analysis and Talkback

The Vortex Empire: I think the real question is obviously how a supervolcano eruption wiping out vast swathes of the country would affect the 2016 election.
Borgholio: The GOP would blame Obama and use the subsequent nuclear winter to debunk global warming.
StarSword
Jedi Knight

Post by StarSword »

A more serious contribution than my last post.
Jayne Cobb wrote:Shepherd Book used to tell me, "If you can't do somethin' smart, do somethin' right."
Star Carrier by Ian Douglas: Analysis and Talkback

The Vortex Empire: I think the real question is obviously how a supervolcano eruption wiping out vast swathes of the country would affect the 2016 election.
Borgholio: The GOP would blame Obama and use the subsequent nuclear winter to debunk global warming.
Phantasee
Was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich stärker.

Post by Phantasee »

Quote boxes in signatures are hideous and should be grounds for a temp ban.

"I have walked that long road to freedom. I have tried not to falter; I have made missteps along the way. But I have discovered the secret that after climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. I have taken a moment here to rest, to steal a view of the glorious vista that surrounds me, to look back on the distance I have come. But I can rest only for a moment, for with freedom comes responsibilities, and I dare not linger, for my long walk is not yet ended." -Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

August 5 is the 49th anniversary of Nelson Mandela being jailed.
XXXI
Dominus Atheos
Sith Marauder

Post by Dominus Atheos »

This quote is making the rounds on liberal blogs lately.
Family PAC Federal Vice President Sandy Rios, on Tuesday August 2nd, 2011 wrote:“Is the White House out of their mind? Does the West Wing not know what the left wing is doing? We’re $14 trillion in debt and now we’re going to cover birth control, breast pumps, counseling for abuse? Are we going to do pedicures and manicures as well?”
Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

I do believe I suggested the current quote sometime way back when. In fact...
Rogue 9, October 28, 2009 wrote:"Never offend people with style when you can offend them with substance." - Sam Brown, Washington Post, 1977
8)
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
Omeganian
Jedi Knight

Post by Omeganian »

First I exited the Soviet Union, then all the others did.

---Viktor Suvorov/Vladimir Rezun, Soviet defector.

(сначала из Советского Союза вышел я, а потом все остальные.)
Q: How are children made in the TNG era Federation?

A: With power couplings. To explain, you shut down the power to the lights, and then, in the darkness, you have the usual TOS era coupling.
TithonusSyndrome
Sith Devotee

Post by TithonusSyndrome »

"Conspiracy theories are popular because no matter what they posit, they are all actually comforting, because they all are models of radical simplicity." - William Gibson
Phantasee

Post by Phantasee »

"The UN wasn't created to take mankind into paradise, but rather to save humanity from hell." - Dag Hammarskjöld
XXXI
Omeganian
Jedi Knight

Post by Omeganian »

"When there is a dispute between two small nations, the UN steps in and the dispute disappears. When there is a dispute between a small nation and a large nation, the UN steps in and the small nation disappears. When there is a dispute between two large nations, the UN disappears."

Kenneth Rogoff (calling it "an old quip" http://www.project-syndicate.org/commen ... 19/English)
Q: How are children made in the TNG era Federation?

A: With power couplings. To explain, you shut down the power to the lights, and then, in the darkness, you have the usual TOS era coupling.
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

"Ronald Reagan is dead and he was a lousy President" - Kieth Olbermann
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
Panzersharkcat
Jedi Council Member

Post by Panzersharkcat »

"Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes." - William Gibson

EDIT:
"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators." - P.J. O’Rourke
"I'm just reading through your formspring here, and your responses to many questions seem to indicate that you are ready and willing to sacrifice realism/believability for the sake of (sometimes) marginal increases in gameplay quality. Why is this?"
"Because until I see gamers sincerely demanding that if they get winged in the gut with a bullet that they spend the next three hours bleeding out on the ground before permanently dying, they probably are too." - J.E. Sawyer
Haruko
Jedi Master

Post by Haruko »

"Why is it that, as a culture, we are more comfortable seeing two men holding guns than holding hands?"
-- Ernest Gaines
Darth Tedious
Jedi Master

Post by Darth Tedious »

What film was Ebert reviewing when he said that 'cult' line?
I can only think context would make it even better...
"Darth Tedious just showed why women can go anywhere they want because they are, in effect, mobile kitchens." - RazorOutlaw

"That could never happen because super computers." - Stark

"Don't go there girl! Talk to the VTOL cause the glass canopy ain't listening!" - Shroomy
Darth Holbytlan
Padawan Learner

Post by Darth Holbytlan »

Google is your friend. Though it's not really that illuminating, to be honest.
DPDarkPrimus
Emperor's Hand

Post by DPDarkPrimus »

Darth Tedious wrote:What film was Ebert reviewing when he said that 'cult' line?
I can only think context would make it even better...
Tim and Eric's Billion Dollar Movie.
Mayabird is my girlfriend
Justice League:BotM:MM:SDnet City Watch:Cybertron's Finest
"Well then, science is bullshit. "
-revprez, with yet another brilliant rebuttal.
Darth Tedious
Jedi Master

Post by Darth Tedious »

Darth Holbytlan wrote:Google is your friend. Though it's not really that illuminating, to be honest.
I was then, and am now, on a mobile device. Your link takes me to a blank page of Google. I wasn't just asking because I'm a Google-phobe. :P
I'll just wait until I get back to my 'puter.
"Darth Tedious just showed why women can go anywhere they want because they are, in effect, mobile kitchens." - RazorOutlaw

"That could never happen because super computers." - Stark

"Don't go there girl! Talk to the VTOL cause the glass canopy ain't listening!" - Shroomy
Darth Holbytlan
Padawan Learner

Post by Darth Holbytlan »

Darth Tedious wrote:I was then, and am now, on a mobile device. Your link takes me to a blank page of Google. I wasn't just asking because I'm a Google-phobe. :P
I'll just wait until I get back to my 'puter.
I'm pretty sure Google has a mobile site (m.google.com). Or you could read DPDarkPrimus's post, which also answered your question.
Phantasee

Post by Phantasee »

Or you could stop being a cunt.

"Ridiculous yachts and private planes and big limousines won't make people enjoy life more, and it sends out terrible messages to the people who work for them. It would be so much better if that money was spent in Africa—and it's about getting a balance." –Sir Richard Branson
XXXI
Haruko
Jedi Master

Post by Haruko »

"I am glad to see you not so wanting in courage as in sense. But courage without conduct is the virtue of a robber, or a tyrant."
-- Myron, in The Last of the Wine by Mary Renault
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

"The tools of conquest do not necessarily come with bombs and explosions and fallout. There are weapons that are simply thoughts, attitudes, prejudices to be found only in the minds of men. For the record, prejudices can kill, and suspicion can destroy, and the thoughtless, frightened search for a scapegoat has a fallout all of its own; for the children, and the children yet unborn."
-- Rod Serling, The Twilight Zone episode "The Monsters Are Due On Maple Street"
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog
Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

I must take issue with Dr. Freud on this one. Without civilization, there is liberty only for those strong enough to secure it for themselves.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
Formless
Sith Marauder

Post by Formless »

Since the quote hasn't changed in over a week, I went out and found some good ones by Mark Twain:
Mark Twain wrote:
  • A man's character may be learned from the adjectives which he habitually uses in conversation.
  • A person who won't read has no advantage over one who can't read.
  • All right, then, I'll go to hell.
  • No sinner is ever saved after the first twenty minutes of a sermon.
  • Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.
  • Only kings, presidents, editors, and people with tapeworms have the right to use the editorial "we."
  • The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right.
  • The Public is merely a multiplied "me."
  • There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded.
  • Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.
  • Only one thing is impossible for God: To find any sense in any copyright law on the planet.
  • Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint.
  • We [Americans] have the best government that money can buy.
"Still, I would love to see human beings, and their constituent organ systems, trivialized and commercialized to the same extent as damn iPods and other crappy consumer products. It would be absolutely horrific, yet so wonderful." — Shroom Man 777
"To Err is Human; to Arrr is Pirate." — Skallagrim
“I would suggest "Schmuckulating", which is what Futurists do and, by extension, what they are." — Commenter "Rayneau"
The Magic Eight Ball Conspiracy.