Old neighbor takes ball that lands in yard, arrested by cops

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Ender
Emperor's Hand

Old neighbor takes ball that lands in yard, arrested by cops

Post by Ender »

BLUE ASH, OH -- She took a teenager's ball and wouldn't give it back. Now 89 year-old Edna Jester from Blue Ash is facing charges.

"I said go ahead and arrest me. Handcuff me if you'd like, because I said I'm not guilty of anything," said Jester.

Thursday, Blue Ash Police arrested Jester for petty theft after taking her teenage neighbor's football that was in her yard.
The incident was caught on tape by people across the street who support Jester.

"Taken down and interrogated, a 90 year-old lady. It almost hits home like this is the United States, this can't happen and this is absolutely ridiculous," said neighbor Kevin Pike.

Kelly Tanis has 5 children and says Jester has taken balls from her children before. So she called the police.

"This time it was a ball that my son had just bought with his own money. He works and he makes his own money, and he bought that ball ,and six days later she took it."

Blue Ash Police say they didn't want to arrest Jester. Instead, they just wanted her to give the ball back.

Jester says that wasn't going to happen.

"I was giving it back sooner or later, but not right now so they could make a laughing stock out of me," Jester said.

Neighbors say the issue of where the kids should and shouldn't play has been ongoing for quite some time.

Jester was offered a chance by police to sign a ticket promising to appear in court, but she refused. Right or wrong, she is due in court on November 12.
link
بيرني كان سيفوز
Nuclear Navy Warwolf
in omnibus requiem quaesivi, et nusquam inveni nisi in angulo cum libro
ipsa scientia potestas est
Havok
Miscreant

Re: Old neighbor takes ball that lands in yard, arrested by cops

Post by Havok »

Crotchety old bitch. Just give the ball back jeez. :roll:
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

Gotta say, I'm of two minds on this too. As a kid we had a person like this in our neighborhood. Something got lobbed into his yard, you lost it. It sucked but it also taugh me to respect boundaries to a degree. I see the article more as a failure of cops to be diplomatic, rather than right or wrong with the neighbors.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
Ender
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ender »

crap, punt this to OT, would you? I meant to post it there.
بيرني كان سيفوز
Nuclear Navy Warwolf
in omnibus requiem quaesivi, et nusquam inveni nisi in angulo cum libro
ipsa scientia potestas est
Kamakazie Sith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Kamakazie Sith »

Knife wrote:Gotta say, I'm of two minds on this too. As a kid we had a person like this in our neighborhood. Something got lobbed into his yard, you lost it. It sucked but it also taugh me to respect boundaries to a degree. I see the article more as a failure of cops to be diplomatic, rather than right or wrong with the neighbors.
Interesting, because the article states they were trying to be diplomatic at first they just wanted her to give the ball back, then it moved on to a citation, and then I guess jail? We have no idea how it actually played out, but you can't reasonably expect the police to wait for hours while she denies a lawfully given order which is also a crime.
Milites Astrum Exterminans
Covenant
Sith Marauder

Post by Covenant »

Well, if it's off to Off-Topic, then I don't mind commenting. No rest for the wicked! Just because it lands on your yard doesn't mean you can take it, you immature old bat. Try to be a little neighborly and remember that these are kids instead of living down to every negative stereotype like it's some kind of badge of honor. She coulda' just handed the ball back.

Really, being old is no better excuse for your whiny little jackass actions than being a kid. If it's wrong for a kid to steal a ball, it's wrong for an old lady to do it too. Respecting boundaries is all well and good, but this is not the correct lesson to learn. Being a petty dictator with your yard is a terrible way to be, and clearly she wasn't respecting the boundary between proper and improper behavior. You can't just take things from other people, and it's not her place to discipline her neighbor's children when there was no harm whatsoever.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Sounds to me like there's some kind of ongoing neighbourhood brouhaha about kids playing in the street, and this woman decided she was going to deliberately get herself arrested just to make some kind of attention grabbing point.
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

Kamakazie Sith wrote:
Knife wrote:Gotta say, I'm of two minds on this too. As a kid we had a person like this in our neighborhood. Something got lobbed into his yard, you lost it. It sucked but it also taugh me to respect boundaries to a degree. I see the article more as a failure of cops to be diplomatic, rather than right or wrong with the neighbors.
Interesting, because the article states they were trying to be diplomatic at first they just wanted her to give the ball back, then it moved on to a citation, and then I guess jail? We have no idea how it actually played out, but you can't reasonably expect the police to wait for hours while she denies a lawfully given order which is also a crime.
No but I expect the police to be diplomatic to such a degree they don't break down and haul an old lady to jail over a child's ball. You've skipped a step in there somewhere. The logical progression over a trivial ordeal between a child and an 90 year old woman doesn't necessarily end with one or the other going to the station. That's the break down in police diplomacy I'm talking about.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

Covenant wrote:Well, if it's off to Off-Topic, then I don't mind commenting. No rest for the wicked! Just because it lands on your yard doesn't mean you can take it, you immature old bat. Try to be a little neighborly and remember that these are kids instead of living down to every negative stereotype like it's some kind of badge of honor. She coulda' just handed the ball back.

Really, being old is no better excuse for your whiny little jackass actions than being a kid. If it's wrong for a kid to steal a ball, it's wrong for an old lady to do it too. Respecting boundaries is all well and good, but this is not the correct lesson to learn. Being a petty dictator with your yard is a terrible way to be, and clearly she wasn't respecting the boundary between proper and improper behavior. You can't just take things from other people, and it's not her place to discipline her neighbor's children when there was no harm whatsoever.
I have three kids, don't confuse young with innocent. It doesn't take long for children to find the boundaries and push at them. It is completely plausable that the children were being a bunch of pricks too, with mommy and daddy saving their ass.

Singular Intellect
Jedi Council Member

Post by Singular Intellect »

Covenant wrote:If it's wrong for a kid to steal a ball, it's wrong for an old lady to do it too.
Yeah, except your typical kid isn't stealing a ball because it keeps getting fucking thrown into their room and they constantly have to expend effort and time returning it, or worse, having to routinely yield to unwanted guests who want it back.

Personally, I think the woman here was a bit stupid. You don't keep the damn thing; that's obviously stealing and I agree it's a crime.

If you're dealing with kids who are annoying you by constantly throwing shit in your yard and you have to go out of your way to return it or are forced to tolerate them retrieving it, I'd go another route. I'd throw the ball as far as possible from them so they can expend effort going to get it. Or better yet, deflate it with a knife, and then give it back. That should generally get the message across without doing anything particularily illegal.

I certainly agree that would not constitute 'being nice', but since when is that a crime? Heck, it's the nature of this entire board for that matter. Being nice is a optional trait.

PS: I'm by no means trying to suggest I'm intolerant of children; quite the contrary, I'm very popular and patient with them. That said, sometimes kids do push it, even unintentionally (something I got the impression from in this article), and it doesn't hurt to draw lines on behavior that starts to be irritating or disrespectful.
"Now let us be clear, my friends. The fruits of our science that you receive and the many millions of benefits that justify them, are a gift. Be grateful. Or be silent." -Modified Quote
Kamakazie Sith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Kamakazie Sith »

Knife wrote:
Kamakazie Sith wrote:
No but I expect the police to be diplomatic to such a degree they don't break down and haul an old lady to jail over a child's ball. You've skipped a step in there somewhere. The logical progression over a trivial ordeal between a child and an 90 year old woman doesn't necessarily end with one or the other going to the station. That's the break down in police diplomacy I'm talking about.
Actually, they didn't skip any step. You do realize that she did steal those balls, right? Being 90 does not make you exempt. The police took steps that aren't apart of the equation when dealing with someone who has just committed a crime. If she would have been a 25 year old women instead of 90 she would have been cited immediately, and as for her being taken to jail that's probably a thing with department policy that they take a person to jail who refuses to sign a citation.
Kamakazie Sith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Kamakazie Sith »

Knife wrote:
Covenant wrote:Well, if it's off to Off-Topic, then I don't mind commenting. No rest for the wicked! Just because it lands on your yard doesn't mean you can take it, you immature old bat. Try to be a little neighborly and remember that these are kids instead of living down to every negative stereotype like it's some kind of badge of honor. She coulda' just handed the ball back.

I have three kids, don't confuse young with innocent. It doesn't take long for children to find the boundaries and push at them. It is completely plausable that the children were being a bunch of pricks too, with mommy and daddy saving their ass.
Yes it is. None of that is a valid reason to steal.
Kamakazie Sith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Kamakazie Sith »

Bubble Boy wrote:If you're dealing with kids who are annoying you by constantly throwing shit in your yard and you have to go out of your way to return it or are forced to tolerate them retrieving it, I'd go another route. I'd throw the ball as far as possible from them so they can expend effort going to get it. Or better yet, deflate it with a knife, and then give it back. That should generally get the message across without doing anything particularily illegal.
You realize property destruction is illegal, right?
Singular Intellect
Jedi Council Member

Kamakazie Sith wrote:
Bubble Boy wrote:If you're dealing with kids who are annoying you by constantly throwing shit in your yard and you have to go out of your way to return it or are forced to tolerate them retrieving it, I'd go another route. I'd throw the ball as far as possible from them so they can expend effort going to get it. Or better yet, deflate it with a knife, and then give it back. That should generally get the message across without doing anything particularily illegal.
So is trespassing; so I'll leave the ball in my backyard and they're not allowed to retrieve it.
"Now let us be clear, my friends. The fruits of our science that you receive and the many millions of benefits that justify them, are a gift. Be grateful. Or be silent." -Modified Quote
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Moved to off-topic per OP writer request.

On one hand I'm of two minds about this, but mainly I'm against the old lady.
One, Your a goddamn stereotype... your taking something just because it lands in your lawn? That's the f'ing definition of a "crotchety old bastard/bitch"

I mean come the fuck on, if I have to skid off the road to dodge a kid in the street and my cars ends up on your lawn does that mean you can claim the car is yours? How-about if my wallet falls out of my pocket while wandering near your property line. The only reason you can get away with not giving it back is because the item in question is a low value item.

Two, Excuse me crazy old lady, but no state in the union property laws include a clause saying if "It touches the ground, it becomes the the land owners property." No because you see we have a sem-sane system of laws. And no where in there does it give you the right to steal shit that ends up on your lawn.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Kamakazie Sith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Kamakazie Sith »

Bubble Boy wrote:
Kamakazie Sith wrote:
So is trespassing; so I'll leave the ball in my backyard and they're not allowed to retrieve it.
Right, but you can't enforce it. The police enforce it. So, guess what that means? It doesn't mean you destroy property, and it doesn't mean you steal property. If you have children purposely causing you problems then you take it up with their parents, and if that doesn't work then you call the police who can official trespass them, and then when they trespass again you contact the police who will refer the little fuckers, and their parents to juvenile court.

How does that suit you?
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Bubble Boy wrote:
Damn you are well named there.

As I pointed out in the above post, there is no "If it touches my land, it's MINE, section.
More-over the people in question(Children) can not be charged with trespassing and under the fair use section of most states laws, if you have a reason to be on someone's land, it's not trespassing until the owner of the land declares otherwise.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

Kamakazie Sith wrote:
Actually, they didn't skip any step. You do realize that she did steal those balls, right? Being 90 does not make you exempt. The police took steps that aren't apart of the equation when dealing with someone who has just committed a crime. If she would have been a 25 year old women instead of 90 she would have been cited immediately, and as for her being taken to jail that's probably a thing with department policy that they take a person to jail who refuses to sign a citation.
Fine. You do realize that you can throw the book at the kids too right? Tressapssing ( on all those balls they did get back) as well as public nucience.

My whole point in this thread has been; little kids being a bunch of dicks are no more a pain in the ass than the crusty old lady. Police being diplomatic should account for both.

Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

Mr Bean wrote:
Bubble Boy wrote:
Damn you are well named there.

As I pointed out in the above post, there is no "If it touches my land, it's MINE, section.
More-over the people in question(Children) can not be charged with trespassing and under the fair use section of most states laws, if you have a reason to be on someone's land, it's not trespassing until the owner of the land declares otherwise.
So by default keeping it from them shouldn't be a crime either?

muse
Jedi Council Member

Post by muse »

Vendetta wrote:Sounds to me like there's some kind of ongoing neighbourhood brouhaha about kids playing in the street, and this woman decided she was going to deliberately get herself arrested just to make some kind of attention grabbing point.
I think so too. Sounds like a group of spoiled rowdy kids ran into an old witch and things just escalated and got out of control.
ø¤ º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur.
(Whatever is said in Latin sounds profound.)

I like Celine Dion myself. Her ballads alone....they make me go all teary-eyed and shit.
- Havok
Kamakazie Sith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Kamakazie Sith »

Knife wrote:
Kamakazie Sith wrote:
Fine. You do realize that you can throw the book at the kids too right? Tressapssing ( on all those balls they did get back) as well as public nucience.

My whole point in this thread has been; little kids being a bunch of dicks are no more a pain in the ass than the crusty old lady. Police being diplomatic should account for both.
I think you assume to little from this article. It's likely that they did talk with the parents, and we do know they tried to get the old lady to give up the property consequence free.

As for trespassing I listed how that goes. As Bean stated people aren't just automatically trespassed, and furthermore there are exceptions. If your property ends up in someones yard then you have a right to it.
Kamakazie Sith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Kamakazie Sith »

muse wrote:
Vendetta wrote:Sounds to me like there's some kind of ongoing neighbourhood brouhaha about kids playing in the street, and this woman decided she was going to deliberately get herself arrested just to make some kind of attention grabbing point.
I think so too. Sounds like a group of spoiled rowdy kids ran into an old witch and things just escalated and got out of control.
The article doesn't say anything about them having previous issues with her though. So, why are the kids spoiled?
Singular Intellect
Jedi Council Member

Kamakazie Sith wrote:
Right, but you can't enforce it.
Why not? "Get the fuck off my lawn!"

At that point the kid is guilty of both trespassing and throwing unwanted shit on your private property, and if they willfully disregard the law, so will I and deflate the fucking thing.

If the parents want to sue me over a stupid ball, I'll counter sue with trespassing, public nuisance and the dumping of garbage on my private property.
The police enforce it. So, guess what that means? It doesn't mean you destroy property, and it doesn't mean you steal property.
I agree, but if the issue of the law comes up over something this minor, you can counter it with their own infractions.
If you have children purposely causing you problems then you take it up with their parents, and if that doesn't work then you call the police who can official trespass them, and then when they trespass again you contact the police who will refer the little fuckers, and their parents to juvenile court.

How does that suit you?
You realize I'm more playing devil's advocate than actually asserting my own position, right?

My overall point is that there is a distinction between the occasional honest mistake of tossing a frisbee or ball into someone's yard, and it happening so much that the guilty kid's parents have a camera on hand to record the next incident proving the old lady was being 'unreasonable' by getting fed up with their behavior.

Personally, I doubt I would ever feel the need to go beyond the 'throw their toy as far from them as possible' route if they're seriously beginning to annoy you.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Knife wrote:Fine. You do realize that you can throw the book at the kids too right? Tressapssing ( on all those balls they did get back) as well as public nucience.

Yeah, the article says nothing about the kids trespassing, in fact it says that the old bag has kept previous balls before and this instance is what prompted the parents to call the police.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Graeme Dice
Jedi Master

Post by Graeme Dice »

Bubble Boy wrote:So is trespassing; so I'll leave the ball in my backyard and they're not allowed to retrieve it.
You are quite literally stealing something if you and refuse to return it and won't let somebody onto your property to retrieve it.
"I have also a paper afloat, with an electromagnetic theory of light, which, till I am convinced to the contrary, I hold to be great guns."
-- James Clerk Maxwell (1831-1879) Scottish physicist. In a letter to C. H. Cay, 5 January 1865.