Whoo Hoo! Free Airshow

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

TrailerParkJawa
Sith Acolyte

Whoo Hoo! Free Airshow

Post by TrailerParkJawa »

I work underneath the flight path to Moffet FAS. I just happen to sit next to the back door of the building with a big window.

I just saw 6 F-16's fly over the airfield in 3 pairs then they broke formation and swung around to land 1 at a time. 8)

I tried to read the tail insignia but I could not make them out clearly.

There was a red horizontal strip at the the top of the tail. It looked like the the striped contained white lettering. The two letters on the tail looked like OK or DK but im not sure. There also some sort of picture of a bird. It could be something entirely else but it was white too.

Oh well, a nice break from an otherwise boring day. Just thought plane buffs might like it.

PS: They were not armed as some of the flights in the past have been, but each F-16 was carrying two fuel tanks on each wing.
Wicked Pilot
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Wicked Pilot »

OK is the symbol for the Oklahoma Air National Guard. It is found on F-16C/Ds from the 138th FW out of Tulsa Airport. You can also find it on E-3B/Cs and TC-18Es with the 552nd ACW out of Tinker AFB.

There are no aircraft with DK on their tails.
The most basic assumption about the world is that it does not contradict itself.
TrailerParkJawa
Sith Acolyte

Thanks USAF ACE! I thought the red stripe might indicated a Guard unit. OK is a long way from Sunnyvale, CA. Wonder what they are doing out here?

Nearest range I know of is Fallon, NV. Do they ever us Fort Hunter Ligget ?
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

US and UK armed forces are beginning to ramp up training, probably for an attack on Iraq. STRATFOR estimates January.
Asst. Asst. Lt. Cmdr. Smi
What Kind of Username is That?

Post by Asst. Asst. Lt. Cmdr. Smi »

Next time, wave to them. How do you like your job at the airport?
BotM: Just another monkey|HAB
Next of Kin
Rabid Monkey

Post by Next of Kin »

I couldn't resist quoting Sideshow Bob:
Air show? Buzz cut alabaimins spewing colored smoke from their wizz jets to the strains of rock you like a hurricane. What kind of country-fried rube is still impressed by that?!
TrailerParkJawa
Sith Acolyte

Next time, wave to them. How do you like your job at the airport?
I dont work at the airport, I just work right under the flight path for planes landing at Moffet. Today, 4 more F-16's flew over but I could not see their tails today.

There is an California ANG unit that operates there everyday. So there is alway a Blackhawk or C-130 flying around doing practice runs.

I got to see Air Force One land once. That was cool. It usually parks there when the President visits the SF Bay Area, but this was the first time I saw it land and not just sitting on the runway.