Good News for a sad historical mansion

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Good News for a sad historical mansion

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

For those that know me, I have a passion for historical buildings, specifically ones from the turn of the century. Good solid stone buildings are something I deeply love, and given how many great treasures have been lost of over the years, I follow news on 'endangered' buildings often.

One of the ones that has been breaking my heart for the past few years has been the Bailey Mansion In NY of Barnum and Bailey fame.
I first found out about the Mansion back in 2009 when Luxist ran a story about the price coming down.
This mansion was and is a true treasure. The interiors where done with lavish hand carved woods. Intricate stained glass windows are everywhere. Hand painted murals adorn many of the bed rooms.
The pictures online are truly astounding at the level of detail in this Mansion.

Sadly, since 2008 the Mansion has been abandoned and has fallen into neglect and disrepair. Parts have started to rot, floors have been decaying and what was once a Jewel has become an eyesore.
To get an idea for the decay, the NewYork magazine ran a story that had a short video walkthrough of the house that is enough to make any historical preservationist's heart ache.

Recently restoration has FINALLY begun on a badly needed facelift to restore the exterior and hopefully interior as well.

As someone who watches such treasures, it is heartening to know that One shall be saved from the bulldozer.
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!