Hey, fitness types!

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Hey, fitness types!

Post by General Zod »

So I've started looking into a pull-up bar that I can use to build some upper body strength at home without spending a whole lot of dough or fucking up my doorframe with mounting brackets, but it looks like some of the stuff I'm looking at on Amazon is of either dubious quality or way too expensive.

Not really looking to spend more than $50 on it, so I'm wondering if anyone here has any recommendations. So far I'm looking at stuff like this http://www.amazon.com/Pellor-Doorway-Ch ... 39&sr=8-97

which should ideally be rated for 200lbs or more. (I weigh about 190 right now.) So yeah, anyone got any recommendations? Besides going out to an actual gym because monthly memberships suck.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Re: Hey, fitness types!

Post by aerius »

2 words: Ghetto Workout. The street is your gym, and it's all free.

aerius: I'll vote for you if you sleep with me. :)
Lusankya: Deal!
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
MKSheppard
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger

Post by MKSheppard »

Eat the money and get a pool/gym membership.
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

MKSheppard wrote:Eat the money and get a pool/gym membership.
All of the gyms around here suck or cost too much so . . . that's not going to happen.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

General Zod wrote:
All of the gyms around here suck or cost too much so . . . that's not going to happen.
Find a YMCA, they are gyms you'll pay 40$ a month or less for access to lots of equipment and if your not exactly overflowing with money you can try for a sponsorship or charity membership were you'll have to pay nothing or 5$ a month for membership.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
spaceviking
Jedi Knight

Post by spaceviking »

Home equipment is not that expensive either. Buy a bench press, squat stand, barbells and some weight and you can get a pretty good workout.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

What exactly "sucks" about the gyms around you.

Do they have heavy things to lift and a some contraptions to walk and run on? If they do, they are fine.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

And you guys can laugh at the video aerius posted, but the guys in the video have better form, control and technique than half of the trainers I ever worked with.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Havok wrote:What exactly "sucks" about the gyms around you.

Do they have heavy things to lift and a some contraptions to walk and run on? If they do, they are fine.
Mostly the fact that I actually have to go downtown to use them. I try and avoid doing that as much as possible. Also membership fees.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

You mean you would have to exercise to go exercise? Preposterous.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

Nah- he means he get's fed up of being stared at by guys bigger then he is en route.

exercising with mates is a hell of a lot more fun though, especially because you can chivvy each other along on bad days.

but as for the OP>

I've a big friend who uses one similar to the one you posted.

I recently bought one of those ones that hooks through a doorframe, with your weight supposedly bracing it. I broke it.
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

madd0ct0r wrote:Nah- he means he get's fed up of being stared at by guys bigger then he is en route.

exercising with mates is a hell of a lot more fun though, especially because you can chivvy each other along on bad days.

but as for the OP>

I've a big friend who uses one similar to the one you posted.

I recently bought one of those ones that hooks through a doorframe, with your weight supposedly bracing it. I broke it.
no, i'm fed up of being hassled by homeless people

i already ride a bike to and from work every day as it is

have i mentioned how much i hate denver? :v
YT300000
Sith'ari

Post by YT300000 »

Well, you're definitely on the right track with a pull-up bar, it's really the only piece of equipment you need to have a good full work-out routine. Lower body would involve squats or deadlifts with chairs, cinderblocks, whatever you have lying around. Core exercises require no equipment: sit-ups, lying leg raises, bicycles, you have loads of options. A very general upper-body plan will involve both pushing and pulling movements in three main planes: above your head, straight down, and in front of you.

Pushing is easy - above your head, you can pick up the aforementioned items and do shoulder presses, in front you can do push-ups, and below you can do dips between a pair of chairs or boxes or whatnot. You can throw in some tricep push-ups or other exercises too - the point is that presses are generally easy to do with body weight.

Pulling is not so easy - you can pick up those items to do upright rows, bent-over rows, shrugs and so on, but there's really no exercise which lets you pull yourself up/weight down without a bar (or cable). The pull-up is such a fundamental exercise, that there's really nothing which can replace it, and it's the only gap in this otherwise equipment-free routine. A pull-up bar can also let you do body-weight rows, upright leg raises, twisting leg raises, all kinds of stuff.

So, back on track... the cheapest way to install a pull-up bar in your house is to build it yourself. If you don't want to put it in a door frame or attach it to the beams in your basement, a staircase makes for an ideal spot. Go to your local hardware store and buy a 2" thick dowel, cutting it to fit snugly between your walls. Find the studs in your staircase, and cut the ends off some 2x4's to use as mounting brackets. Use your hole cutter drill attachment to bore a 2" hole all the way through either bracket, and stick one on either end of your dowel. Put at least 4 long screws between each bracket and your wall studs, and another screw through the side of the bracket into the dowel to prevent rotation. It'll flex a bit more than a metal bar, but can easily take your weight, and should only set you back the cost of a dowel and an hour of your time.
Name changes are for people who wear women's clothes. - Zuul

Wow. It took me a good minute to remember I didn't have testicles. -xBlackFlash

Are you sure this isn't like that time Michael Jackson stopped by your house so he could use the bathroom? - Superman
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

YT300000 wrote:Well, you're definitely on the right track with a pull-up bar, it's really the only piece of equipment you need to have a good full work-out routine. Lower body would involve squats or deadlifts with chairs, cinderblocks, whatever you have lying around. Core exercises require no equipment: sit-ups, lying leg raises, bicycles, you have loads of options. A very general upper-body plan will involve both pushing and pulling movements in three main planes: above your head, straight down, and in front of you.

Pushing is easy - above your head, you can pick up the aforementioned items and do shoulder presses, in front you can do push-ups, and below you can do dips between a pair of chairs or boxes or whatnot. You can throw in some tricep push-ups or other exercises too - the point is that presses are generally easy to do with body weight.

Pulling is not so easy - you can pick up those items to do upright rows, bent-over rows, shrugs and so on, but there's really no exercise which lets you pull yourself up/weight down without a bar (or cable). The pull-up is such a fundamental exercise, that there's really nothing which can replace it, and it's the only gap in this otherwise equipment-free routine. A pull-up bar can also let you do body-weight rows, upright leg raises, twisting leg raises, all kinds of stuff.

So, back on track... the cheapest way to install a pull-up bar in your house is to build it yourself. If you don't want to put it in a door frame or attach it to the beams in your basement, a staircase makes for an ideal spot. Go to your local hardware store and buy a 2" thick dowel, cutting it to fit snugly between your walls. Find the studs in your staircase, and cut the ends off some 2x4's to use as mounting brackets. Use your hole cutter drill attachment to bore a 2" hole all the way through either bracket, and stick one on either end of your dowel. Put at least 4 long screws between each bracket and your wall studs, and another screw through the side of the bracket into the dowel to prevent rotation. It'll flex a bit more than a metal bar, but can easily take your weight, and should only set you back the cost of a dowel and an hour of your time.
Well. That sounds like a lot more money than I want to spend, and I don't have most of those things. I live in a 4 story apartment building so any sort of major changes to the structure would be frowned upon.
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

If you're dead set on a home work out then the minimum amount of gear you will need in my opinion are; a bench & 2 (variable) dumbells.

With these you can hit all the major body groups. From your calves to your traps and everything in between. Most of your work out will consist of the high rep variety to exhaust your muscles unless you have a lot of weight you can customise your dumbells with of course.

A pullup bar is necessary for the absolute best back work out, but depending on your fitness level to begin with you might be a way away from being able to do a lot of them anyway.

If you're dead serious about lifting though, then you'll just have to fork out the cash for more equipment or join a gym, there's no real away to avoid that.

As an example, thinking about my work out, more than 80% of it will be using dumbells as either the primary way of doing them or as a suitable alternative to a barbell. The only exercises that I can't use dumbells for are ones that will require machines.
Η ζωή, η ζωή εδω τελειώνει!
"Science is one cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on" - Masuka 'Dexter'
"Angela is not the woman you think she is Gabriel, she's done terrible things"
"So have I, and I'm going to do them all to you." - Sylar to Arthur 'Heroes'
The Jester
Padawan Learner

Post by The Jester »

I strongly recommend reading through this site. It'll detail a lot of techniques for home workouts that will go a long way for working out your entire body while spending minimal amounts on home fitness and avoiding injuries.

As for a pull-up bar, it can be the most difficult piece of equipment to obtain, but it adds a lot of value to the quality of a home workout. I have personal experience with the type of pull-up bar listed in the OP and do not recommend this kind at all. Since they put a lot of pressure on the sides of a door frame, it is likely to cause damage, and the risk of injury due to the fact that you're so close to the maximum weight is not worth the risk. Really, if you can't afford one of the more expensive door-frame pull-up bars, you should look for children's playgrounds, or even a sturdy tree branch somewhere. You may feel self-conscious out in the open when you're out of shape, but the feeling passes quickly when you start seeing your gains. You can also try building pull-up handles in this video that will help if you find a suitable tree branch and it's too thick for your grip.

Since you also weigh a fair amount and you only seem to be starting out, I would strongly recommend focusing on cardio in the beginning. Losing weight will greatly reduce your risks of injury (especially with exercises like pull-ups/chin-ups where you're working against body weight) and improve the quality of your workouts.
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

hah. just checked. He's the same weight as me. How tall are you Zod?

intense cycling is hard to beat for weightloss, but yeah, you'll need something for upper body strength. pressups are good. and when i say good, I mean i hate them with a fucking passion, but they do work.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
Stofsk
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stofsk »

The Jester wrote:I strongly recommend reading through this site. It'll detail a lot of techniques for home workouts that will go a long way for working out your entire body while spending minimal amounts on home fitness and avoiding injuries.
He basically advocates a pull up bar for beginners, doesn't he? Which is pretty good for Zod.
As for a pull-up bar, it can be the most difficult piece of equipment to obtain, but it adds a lot of value to the quality of a home workout. I have personal experience with the type of pull-up bar listed in the OP and do not recommend this kind at all. Since they put a lot of pressure on the sides of a door frame, it is likely to cause damage, and the risk of injury due to the fact that you're so close to the maximum weight is not worth the risk.
What kind of damage can a door-frame pull up bar do? I googled this before asking and it doesn't seem like it's all that big of a deal - some suggest putting like a tea towel inbetween the door frame and the pull up bar to prevent damage.

Anyway Zod should focus on cardio at the beginning but also combine that with some proper nutrition. Assuming he hasn't already.
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Stofsk wrote:
The Jester wrote:I strongly recommend reading through this site. It'll detail a lot of techniques for home workouts that will go a long way for working out your entire body while spending minimal amounts on home fitness and avoiding injuries.
He basically advocates a pull up bar for beginners, doesn't he? Which is pretty good for Zod.
As for a pull-up bar, it can be the most difficult piece of equipment to obtain, but it adds a lot of value to the quality of a home workout. I have personal experience with the type of pull-up bar listed in the OP and do not recommend this kind at all. Since they put a lot of pressure on the sides of a door frame, it is likely to cause damage, and the risk of injury due to the fact that you're so close to the maximum weight is not worth the risk.
What kind of damage can a door-frame pull up bar do? I googled this before asking and it doesn't seem like it's all that big of a deal - some suggest putting like a tea towel inbetween the door frame and the pull up bar to prevent damage.

Anyway Zod should focus on cardio at the beginning but also combine that with some proper nutrition. Assuming he hasn't already.
:lol:

I don't actually need workout advice. I just wanted equipment recommendations; but anyway I settled on something so someone could lock this.
Joviwan
Jedi Knight

Post by Joviwan »

I have this: http://www.walmart.com/ip/As-Seen-On-TV ... r/13032424

The weight limit should be fine for you. The only real limitation there is the strength of your doorframe, really. Just be sure to test and measure where you want to put it first--I had to rule out 3 doors in my house because the brace or handles wouldn't fit given the area.
Drooling Iguana: No, John. You are the liberals.
Phantasee: So extortion is cooler and it promotes job creation!
Ford Prefect: Maybe there can be a twist ending where Vlad shows up for the one on one duel, only to discover that Sun Tzu ignored it and burnt all his crops.
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Joviwan wrote:I have this: http://www.walmart.com/ip/As-Seen-On-TV ... r/13032424

The weight limit should be fine for you. The only real limitation there is the strength of your doorframe, really. Just be sure to test and measure where you want to put it first--I had to rule out 3 doors in my house because the brace or handles wouldn't fit given the area.
I'll keep that in mind as a backup in case the first one fails.
Phantasee
Was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich stärker.

Post by Phantasee »

I have this one from Wal-Mart. It's been fine, and I weighed 210-215 when I got it. Nothing happened to my door frame.
XXXI
Raw Shark
Stunt Driver / Babysitter

Post by Raw Shark »

The Jester wrote:I strongly recommend reading through this site.
Seconded.
Phantasee wrote:I have this one from Wal-Mart. It's been fine, and I weighed 210-215 when I got it. Nothing happened to my door frame.
Yeah, I know a guy who has that kind and tried it a few times. It's way better on the doorframe and less likely to slip because the multiple points of contact distribute your weight at different angles.

I just use my staircase, though, because it has a protrusion at the right height without modifications. You can probably find something similar if you look around, Zod. I also use the pull-up bar at the free public fitness course a block from my apartment, if I'm outside anyway. Have I mentioned how much I love Denver? ;]

"Do I really look like a guy with a plan? Y'know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it! Y'know, I just do things..." --The Joker
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Raw Shark wrote: Yeah, I know a guy who has that kind and tried it a few times. It's way better on the doorframe and less likely to slip because the multiple points of contact distribute your weight at different angles.

I just use my staircase, though, because it has a protrusion at the right height without modifications. You can probably find something similar if you look around, Zod. I also use the pull-up bar at the free public fitness course a block from my apartment, if I'm outside anyway. Have I mentioned how much I love Denver? ;]
Not enough ocean for my liking. If it wasn't for a halfway decent job I'd be elsewhere. :P

Public fitness courses likely means getting hassled by homeless people for change and I'm basically fed up with that. (Also half-heartedly looking for a new apartment but most of my options are between shit, suck, and bed-bug infested puke hole.)
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

Raw Shark wrote:
The Jester wrote:I strongly recommend reading through this site.
Seconded.
Phantasee wrote:I have this one from Wal-Mart. It's been fine, and I weighed 210-215 when I got it. Nothing happened to my door frame.
Yeah, I know a guy who has that kind and tried it a few times. It's way better on the doorframe and less likely to slip because the multiple points of contact distribute your weight at different angles.
that's the same type i had, and I broke mine.