A Scenario of Two Extremes: Gun Politics (RAR!)

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Which one would you rather live in

Coltia
47%
Peelium
53%

Total votes: 57

Zor
Sith Acolyte

A Scenario of Two Extremes: Gun Politics (RAR!)

Post by Zor »

In this scenario we have two societies. Both can be described as stable democratic societies (as much as real world countries such as Canada, the US, France or Germany are) with comparably modern first world standards of living and are of comparable size. Despite that, they differ in opinion massively on one major issue, that of Gun Politics. They are as such...

Coltia
Coltia is very much in favor of the idea of the Right to Keep and Bear Arms. Anyone over the age of sixteen is allowed to buy a Gun and the buying of pistols, sub machine guns, bolt action, semi automatic and assault rifles and Light Machine Guns can be bought over the counter with just a flash of the ID. Weapons such as Mortars, Gatling Weapons, Rocket Launchers and Functional Military vehicles are allowed as well, but these need to be registered with the government and in the case of military vehicles, have a Driver's License to operate. Only Chemical Weapons, Biological Weapons, Heavy Artillery and Nuclear Devices are forbidden. For security purposes, many buildings have remote controlled automatic turrets attached to their CCTV cameras. Most people own a gun and many carry heat on them. Seeing a man walk down the street with an AK-47 is just business as usual. The only people barred from having firearms are prisoners, though it is possible for people to be barred from owning heavier weapons. Police, as such are generally equipped to the same degree as modern soldiers, having attack helicopters and even tanks.

Peelium
Peelium's policy in regards Private Gun ownership is generally summed up with one word.

NO

Civilian Firearms are illegal. No collectors items, no hunting gear, no firing ranges, you get the idea. Only police (armed to a similar degree as Canadian Police Services), wildlife managers, a few government employed bodyguards for VIPs and the military are allowed to use guns, which belong to the state and are turned in at the end of the day. Museums are allowed to have disabled examples of historical guns on display. They also have devised a glove based anti-theft system. Each Police Officer and Bodyguard is given a glove and their is a mechanism installed in their police sidearm. Unless the glove is worn, the gun will not fire. Running guns and making firearms illegally are crimes that are dealt with seriously. Factories that make these guns for export and police use are monitored, as are their inventory. Very few criminals can afford an illegal firearm and those that do generally don't bother with them much due to the fact that finding bullets at a crime scene will normally bring allot more attention by Law Enforcement.

In both cases people don't object to this as and see it as the proper way things should be.

Of these two societies, which one would you rather live in?
NOTE: the Author of this thread in no way wants there to be a major flame war

Zor
Last edited by Zor on 2012-04-30 04:30am, edited 4 times in total.
HAIL ZOR! WE'LL BLOW UP THE OCEAN!
Heros of Cybertron-HAB-Keeper of the Vicious pit of Allosauruses-King Leighton-I, United Kingdom of Zoria: SD.net World/Tsar Mikhail-I of the Red Tsardom: SD.net Kingdoms
WHEN ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE ON EARTH, ALL EARTH BREAKS LOOSE ON HELL
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Re: A Scenario of Two Extremes: Gun Politics (RAR!)

Post by Mr Bean »

Coltia could not survive for long without a Swiss view of guns being acceptable, very wide-spread gun-ownership and a very polite society. However automated gun turrets means we are talking about a society with very low regard for life. So while Coltia might be safer, they are also 90% likely to be a Xenophobic military dictatorship with that kind of setup.

Peelium a question, are the VIP's government officials only or can Celebrity's or religious officials get bodyguards with guns?

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Zor
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zor »

Mr Bean wrote:Peelium a question, are the VIP's government officials only or can Celebrity's or religious officials get bodyguards with guns?
Mostly for government figures, but also occasionally for foreign dignitaries and people like the pope. Please note that said body is run by the government.

Zor
Heros of Cybertron-HAB-Keeper of the Vicious pit of Allosauruses-King Leighton-I, United Kingdom of Zoria: SD.net World/Tsar Mikhail-I of the Red Tsardom: SD.net Kingdoms
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

It would more then slightly depend on other aspects of the societies.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Zor
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zor »

Sea Skimmer wrote:It would more then slightly depend on other aspects of the societies.
Could you go into a bit more detail about what you mean?

Zor
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor
SCRawl
Has a bad feeling about this.

Post by SCRawl »

Not to be too obvious, but if Coltia is a post-scarcity society and Peelium is a post-apocalyptic society, then that would make a difference.

I would imagine that aside from the firearm restrictions, both civilizations would be the same, yes? Otherwise we'd have to control for these other issues, and that might prove difficult.

For the record: Peelia. Aside from the military, law enforcement, and those who live in the boonies I really don't see the need for a person to bear arms.
73% of all statistics are made up, including this one.

I'm waiting as fast as I can.
Zor
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zor »

SCRawl wrote:I would imagine that aside from the firearm restrictions, both civilizations would be the same, yes? Otherwise we'd have to control for these other issues, and that might prove difficult.
Basically yes.

Zor
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

I'd like to live in a world where every dispute doesn't have the immediate potential for lethal escalation.

Particularly considering where I work, there'd be shootings daily, with physical and mental traumas for all involved/witnessing it and the associated policing and legal costs. Not to mention things like clean-up. Do you know how much a fucking forensic clean-up post shooting costs?

At least in Peelium, the possession and use of weapons isn't a cultural imperative.
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Doing banking while AUTOMATED GUN TURRETS track your every move would be terrifying.

So...I guess Peelium?
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
TimothyC
Of Sector 2814

Post by TimothyC »

Question:

How does Peelium enforce the ban?
"I believe in the future. It is wonderful because it stands on what has been achieved." - Sergei Korolev
Rabid
Jedi Knight

Post by Rabid »

TimothyC wrote:Question:

Huh... With law enforcement ?

You mean, how do they enforce it in general principle, or in practice at the day-to-day level ?

In the first case, I'd say in the same way it's done in place without a gun culture, with heavy restriction on the supply side, and enforcement of the policies by the police forces.

As for the day-to-day operations ? Well, the police is armed, if lightly, so they shouldn't have trouble dealing with armed criminal in +80% of the cases I guess ?
Esquire
Jedi Council Member

Post by Esquire »

Voted for Peelium, on the grounds that if it should somehow turn out that owning guns is necessary for FREEDOM or prevents cancer or something else like that, it's a lot easier to give people guns than it is to take them away, and there are more convincing anti-gun arguments than pro-gun ones.
“Heroes are heroes because they are heroic in behavior, not because they won or lost.” Nassim Nicholas Taleb
Panzersharkcat
Jedi Council Member

Post by Panzersharkcat »

Voted for Coltium. General lack of trust of governments and all that.
"I'm just reading through your formspring here, and your responses to many questions seem to indicate that you are ready and willing to sacrifice realism/believability for the sake of (sometimes) marginal increases in gameplay quality. Why is this?"
"Because until I see gamers sincerely demanding that if they get winged in the gut with a bullet that they spend the next three hours bleeding out on the ground before permanently dying, they probably are too." - J.E. Sawyer
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

Voted for Coltium, because I like guns. But I actually had to live there, I'd probably go with Peelium.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
YT300000
Sith'ari

Post by YT300000 »

This isn't a fair comparison, because the automated turret caveat for Coltia is ridiculous. It's on par with making steak knives illegal in Peelium.

If you remove that condition, Coltia just becomes Vermont. Easy access, open carry allowed, and nearly anyone who wants to be armed can be - but that doesn't mean that everyone is, or walks around with an AKM over their shoulder all day.
Name changes are for people who wear women's clothes. - Zuul

Wow. It took me a good minute to remember I didn't have testicles. -xBlackFlash

Are you sure this isn't like that time Michael Jackson stopped by your house so he could use the bathroom? - Superman
JointStrikeFighter
Worthless Trolling Palm-Fucker

Post by JointStrikeFighter »

I already live in peelium.
TimothyC
Of Sector 2814

Post by TimothyC »

Rabid wrote:
TimothyC wrote:Question:

Huh... With law enforcement ?

You mean, how do they enforce it in general principle, or in practice at the day-to-day level ?

In the first case, I'd say in the same way it's done in place without a gun culture, with heavy restriction on the supply side, and enforcement of the policies by the police forces.

As for the day-to-day operations ? Well, the police is armed, if lightly, so they shouldn't have trouble dealing with armed criminal in +80% of the cases I guess ?
How do you keep people from being able to make their own guns?

I'm serious. Anyone with the right education and their own workshop can put a rather low quality gun together.

"Oh, yes officer, I had extra pipe left over after my last garden project officer, I'm sure it's all there in the storage shed."

It's going to take quite a police state to keep people from making their own, and remember - in the land of knives, the guy with the poor shotgun is king.
"I believe in the future. It is wonderful because it stands on what has been achieved." - Sergei Korolev
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

The guy with the poor shotgun is also facing an unbelievably high level of police attention as well as lots of negative attention from fellow criminals who are not appreciative of the level of scrutiny that person has just brought onto them.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

TimothyC wrote:It's going to take quite a police state to keep people from making their own, and remember - in the land of knives, the guy with the poor shotgun is king.
Its actually really sad that you think this is a sound argument against gun control. :lol:

Remember Ando, even in a hypothetical Zor thread Americans are unable to even imagine a country that isn't America. The scenario explicitly says there is no civil discontent with the policy, so American gun culture is totally inappropriate (along with America's massive level of armament, which makes all kinds of sensible gun control policy useless).
White Haven
Sith Acolyte

Post by White Haven »

Option C, learn to bloody capitalize properly. God, that was painful to read.
Chronological Incontinence: Time warps around the poster. The thread topic winks out of existence and reappears in 1d10 posts.

Out of Context Theatre, this week starring Darth Nostril.
-'If you really want to fuck with these idiots tell them that there is a vaccine for chemtrails.'

Fiction!: The Final War (Bolo/Lovecraft) (Ch 7 9/15/11), Living (D&D, Complete)Image
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

How about option D choosing where to live based on one (stupid) issue like this is stupid. Some countries with guns all over are bad. Some countries with guns all over are good. UH OH. :lol:
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Well, not even America thinks it's a good idea to affix machine guns to CCTV cameras...so I don't see how chosing to live anywhere but Coltia based on this one thing is unreasonable :P
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
Stofsk
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stofsk »

Coltia sounds like the kind of hypothetical dystopian society we saw in '80s and early '90s action films.

Peelium sounds like the place to be, by a mile. A good, long, country mile even.
Alferd Packer
Sith Marauder

Post by Alferd Packer »

Well, in either scenario, I'm going to be living in a major metropolitan area (why? Because.) , so I simply need to ask myself: do I want to live in a densely-populated area where guns are a major part of the culture? Absolutely not. I'll take my chances in Peelium; I can run away from someone brandishing a knife, screaming "There's a fire!" at the top of my lungs.
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance--that principle is contempt prior to investigation." -Herbert Spencer

"Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain." - Schiller, Die Jungfrau von Orleans, III vi.
Aaron MkII
Jedi Master

Post by Aaron MkII »

God don't turn this into another horseshit guncontrol thread.

My answer depends on several things; is there universal health care, what's the standard of living, how liberal is the country?

I own and love firearms but basing my decision on one thing is fucking stupid.