OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Colonel Olrik
The Spaminator

"Arbeit macht frei"

Post by Colonel Olrik »

Damn :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPoRSefI9qk

OK, this is more for the German speakers, but I can't stop laughing. A dumb TV presenter (this time the brunette!) is talking to a guy over the phone. The guy says he needs to to go back to work, and she says yes, of course, he ought to be more entusiastic about it, "Arbeit macht frei" after all!

LOL

Then she laughs and laughs while her blond colleague looks at her, horrified, and everybody else is silent. 15 minutes later she realizes what she did and apologizes, but too late, they fired her.
Alferd Packer
Sith Marauder

Post by Alferd Packer »

Holy shit, that's pretty funny. When I was in Berlin, I loved watching those shows. I think the network was called "Neun Live" or something like that.

Really though, those poor hosts would be on the air for hours at a stretch, doing those shitty puzzles and listening to morons call in. My brain would be a little fried if that was my job, too.
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance--that principle is contempt prior to investigation." -Herbert Spencer

"Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain." - Schiller, Die Jungfrau von Orleans, III vi.
Dooey Jo
Sith Devotee

Post by Dooey Jo »

:lol:

Well, sometimes you might feel a bit sorry for the hosts, but you have to remember that they are basically doing the work of Satan because they want to be television celebrities. The only purpose of those shows is to collect money from people that are desperate and/or dumb enough to call in.

Also: It's funnier when our presenters... mess up.
"Nippon ichi, bitches! Boing-boing."
Mai smote the demonic fires of heck...

Faker Ninjas invented ninjitsu
salm
Rabid Monkey

Post by salm »

Haha, stupid bitch. :lol:
[R_H]
Sith Devotee

Post by [R_H] »

Jesus Christ, I hate those shows. You have to be incredibly retarded to even bother calling/texting one of those shows.
RIPP_n_WIPE
Jedi Knight

Post by RIPP_n_WIPE »

Dooey Jo wrote::lol:

Well, sometimes you might feel a bit sorry for the hosts, but you have to remember that they are basically doing the work of Satan because they want to be television celebrities. The only purpose of those shows is to collect money from people that are desperate and/or dumb enough to call in.

Also: It's funnier when our presenters... mess up.
If we could only get subtitles for the German one

But that was funny!

Hey Nick whats up?

SBLUAAARRRUUGHERV!!!!

What was that, Norwegian or Swedish?

I am the hammer, I am the right hand of my Lord. The instrument of His will and the gauntlet about His fist. The tip of His spear, the edge of His sword. I am His wrath just as he is my shield. I am the bane of His foes and the woe of the treacherous. I am the end.

-Ravus Ordo Militis

"Fear and ignorance claim the unwary and the incomplete. The wise man may flinch away from their embrace if he girds his soul with the armour of contempt."
Dooey Jo
Sith Devotee

Post by Dooey Jo »

RIPP_n_WIPE wrote:What was that, Norwegian or Swedish?
She speaks Swedish, but the puking is definitely in Norwegian.

:wink:
"Nippon ichi, bitches! Boing-boing."
Mai smote the demonic fires of heck...

Faker Ninjas invented ninjitsu
Raesene
Jedi Master

Post by Raesene »

:shock:

The look the blonde gave her was priceless - Did she really say what I think I heard ?

'something escapes spontaneously what one picked up somewhere' ??? I think teaching excursions into former camps should be mandatory during high school to give these phrases the proper context.

"In view of the circumstances, Britannia waives the rules."

"All you have to do is to look at Northern Ireland, [...] to see how seriously the religious folks take "thou shall not kill. The more devout they are, the more they see murder as being negotiable." George Carlin

"We need to make gay people live in fear again! What ever happened to the traditional family values of persecution and lies?" - Darth Wong
"The closet got full and some homosexuals may have escaped onto the internet?"- Stormbringer

Einhander Sn0m4n
Insane Railgunner
Location: Louisiana... or Dagobah. You know, where Yoda lives.

Post by Einhander Sn0m4n »

:lol: Dumb bitch. I wonder what in America stops these totally inane scamshows from sweeping through? Don't get me wrong, we have spam TV too, but it's usually just junk like Pocket Fisherman, Ginsu Knives and the latest variations thereof, and Dianetics. :lol:
Image Image
Walsh
Padawan Learner

Post by Walsh »

Damn, I can't believe she laughed so hard. Usually when that shit slips out, you go "oh shit" and don't talk for a while.

That gave me one of those awkward feelings reminiscent of when Bert Newton completely unwittingly referred to Muhammad Ali as "boy" when he was standing right next to him.

As for call-in shows, check this retard out.
"I'd love to take part in a political debate with Americans where anybody who tries to bring up the Founding Fathers gets an electric shock to the nuts." - Darth Wong.

"If you are looking in the bible for a guide to living a compassionate and wise and humane life, well then frankly you've got more chance of finding a lap-dancing club in Mecca, or a virgin in a catholic orphanage" - Pat Condell
Mlenk
Jedi Knight

Post by Mlenk »

Out of curiosity, (and being a non-German speaker), what exactly is so hilarious about this?
Shinova
Emperor's Hand

Post by Shinova »

Yeah, what does arbeit whatever mean?
What's her bust size!?

It's over NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAND!!!!!!!!!
Singular Intellect
Jedi Council Member

Post by Singular Intellect »

Walsh wrote:As for call-in shows, check this retard out.
That woman show host is pretty hot...how do you go about winning her? :P
FedRebel
Jedi Master

Post by FedRebel »

Mlenk wrote:Out of curiosity, (and being a non-German speaker), what exactly is so hilarious about this?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arbeit_macht_frei

In Germany, if the Nazi's said it...then it's very naughty to say yourself

It's like...'Fuck You'^10000

The "hilarity" in this is that she was stupid enough to blurt it out in her workplace in front of coworkers
Walsh
Padawan Learner

Post by Walsh »

Mlenk wrote:Out of curiosity, (and being a non-German speaker), what exactly is so hilarious about this?
"Arbeit macht frei" figuratively means "work will set you free", and was the slogan of nazi death camps.

It's not supposed to be funny at all, but some people are laughing at her stupidity.
"I'd love to take part in a political debate with Americans where anybody who tries to bring up the Founding Fathers gets an electric shock to the nuts." - Darth Wong.

"If you are looking in the bible for a guide to living a compassionate and wise and humane life, well then frankly you've got more chance of finding a lap-dancing club in Mecca, or a virgin in a catholic orphanage" - Pat Condell
Straha
Lord of the Spam

Post by Straha »

:shock:

Those shows were great in Berlin but holy crap they really are idiots.

And my German isn't quite as horrid as I thought it was if I understood as much as I think I understood...
'After 9/11, it was "You're with us or your with the terrorists." Now its "You're with Straha or you support racism."' ' - The Romulan Republic

'You're a bully putting on an air of civility while saying that everything western and/or capitalistic must be bad, and a lot of other posters (loomer, Stas Bush, Gandalf) are also going along with it for their own personal reasons (Stas in particular is looking through rose colored glasses)' - Darth Yan
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

So does that mean saying "work will set you free" in Germany is now a major no-no? Or is there an alternate way to say it that is ok?
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
salm
Rabid Monkey

Post by salm »

RogueIce wrote:So does that mean saying "work will set you free" in Germany is now a major no-no? Or is there an alternate way to say it that is ok?
Not really. The Nazi cynicism tainted the phrase similarily like the swastika is tainted.
Glocksman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Glocksman »

salm wrote:
RogueIce wrote:So does that mean saying "work will set you free" in Germany is now a major no-no? Or is there an alternate way to say it that is ok?
Not really. The Nazi cynicism tainted the phrase similarily like the swastika is tainted.
When I first started at my current job at the local TJ Maxx distribution center, I saw 'arbeit macht frei' written on the support pole by the supervisor's desk.

I asked her if she knew what it meant and when she said 'no', I told her it was German for 'work shall set you free'.
She then said that's a nice thing to say.
But after I told her about the historical context of the phrase, she got angry and the next day, maintenance had painted it over. :lol:
"You say that it is your custom to burn widows. Very well. We also have a custom: when men burn a woman alive, we tie a rope around their necks and we hang them. Build your funeral pyre; beside it, my carpenters will build a gallows. You may follow your custom. And then we will follow ours."- General Sir Charles Napier

Oderint dum metuant
Big Orange
Emperor's Hand

Post by Big Orange »

In Britain there was a gigantic multi-channel scandal involving these inds of tacky phone in competitions, with even the BBC implicated, where the media studios were not really giving out the winnings to the public but were instead just racking in the profits from people dumb enough to phone in, and in one instance a studio had a member of their staff standing in as a competition winner.