NHL 2010-2011 Season

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Archon
Padawan Learner

Re: NHL 2010-2011 Season

Post by Archon »

Darth Fanboy wrote:Ok for the first time in ages I have a serious fucking problem with Calgary fans. (If you're reading this Archon, my apologies in advance).

But for fuck's sake, one call did not go the Flames way and it likely was the wrong call. That being said the Flames played with no passion after they pulled within one and looked dead, so dead that they didn't even bother to try again after the empty netter as if they just didn't care about what tonight's game meant.

And there is so much outrage over that call but lost in this is the fucking knee on knee by Giordano on Bobby Ryan in the last few seconds. That was some fuckling Ulf Samuelsson type shit there. Matt Cooke made the headlines for going after the head but this was a pretty clear intent to injure as well and should be treated accordingly. Anything less than a multiple game suspension would be a complete joke and prove once and for all that punishment in the NHL is left too much up to discretion and whim than anything else.

Plenty of times do goals get allowed or disallowed that should have gone the other way, i've seen the Ducks on the wrong end of them several times even this season, but don't let that blown call obscure the fact that the Flames have absolutely choked against us in three previous meetings, and that they are barely .500 in their own division, or that they have a piss poor record against playoff teams this month. Way to go Flames fans, keep on bitching about Ryan Getzlaf all postseason (or lack thereof in your case!) it's not going to change anything.
Agreed on pretty much all counts. I checked out the thread on the Giordano knee on knee on Ryan at CalgaryPuck and most seemed to think it was suspension worthy. I didn't see it myself, I turned the TV off when Perry scored. I wouldn't expect anything more than a fine from Colin Campbell's wheel.
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Link to video of hit.

It was about as blatant as it could have been while the ref wasn't looking. Clear intent.

Detroit was down more than just Jimmy Howard, Datsyuk and a couple others had a night off I believe.
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."
-George Carlin (1937-2008)

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Funny you mention Calgarypuck Archon because that's where I saw most of the butthurt rhetoric. I had an account on there ages ago for lurking and it was apparently deleted for inactivity or something.
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Link to video of hit.

It was about as blatant as it could have been while the ref wasn't looking. Clear intent.

Detroit was down more than just Jimmy Howard, Datsyuk and a couple others had a night off I believe.

Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Link to video of hit.

Burak Gazan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Burak Gazan »

You know, I dont know if the Leafs are going to make the playoffs, and statistically they probably won't

But right now, their never-give-up ethos , you just gotta love. Another good game against Boston, ending in a shootout victory for Toronto. That goal by Kadri was one nasty dangle, lovely.

And Vancouver wins the Presidents Trophy, congratulations -- do hope it doesn't curse them as it has tended to other teams in the past. :P
"Of course, what would really happen is that in Game 7, with the Red Sox winning 20-0 in the 9th inning, with two outs and two strikes on the last Cubs batter, a previously unseen meteor would strike the earth, instantly and forever wiping out all life on the planet, and forever denying the Red Sox a World Series victory..."
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Holy shit I have no idea how I multiposted that it. A passing mod may feel free to delete the extra after laughing at my expense.

Burak Gazan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Burak Gazan »

No discipline for the Gaborik hit on Isles Nielson or Kings Clifford for check from behind on Canucks Tanev.

Yeah, its not like they were knocked out or anything. Oh, wait... :roll:

I figure this thing is as good as any for the Collie sideshow The Wheel of Justice
"Of course, what would really happen is that in Game 7, with the Red Sox winning 20-0 in the 9th inning, with two outs and two strikes on the last Cubs batter, a previously unseen meteor would strike the earth, instantly and forever wiping out all life on the planet, and forever denying the Red Sox a World Series victory..."
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

Burak Gazan wrote:I figure this thing is as good as any for the Collie sideshow The Wheel of Justice
Someone needs to fix the coding on that sucker.
It's the right result but in real life Domi got 8 games for that awesome suckerpunch.

aerius: I'll vote for you if you sleep with me. :)
Lusankya: Deal!
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

What is sad about that wheel is that it is a more logical approach than whatever it is Campbell does. I think he puts a result taped on to the bottom of a dozen tequila shots, drinks all of them and comes up with something completely different if he doesn't ignore or forget it altogether.

Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Post by Master of Ossus »

Burak Gazan wrote:**WTF happened to Detroit? :shock: 10-3 ? I know Jimmy Howard is hurt, and Ossie is done for the year, but holy crap. 18 years since they gave up that many goals in a game.
It was worse than that, too: TJ Oshie was suspended for that game by the Blues for missing a team meeting. Only 3 Blues skaters were held pointless; every Blue had a positive rating for the game.

The Sharks just fucking handled Dallas in a great game I was able to go see. The score is totally lopsided, but the game was close for the first ~30 minutes. The Stars played desperate hockey--they knew they had to win--and for the first period and a half they took the good and the bad with being desperate (sometimes going out of position, but always with high effort). The Sharks just stayed professional and beat them, and then the Stars quit when it got to be 3-0 (for most players), and 4-0 for everyone else. Eventually, they poured 52 shots at the Stars, but much of that was in the meaningless third period. The best goal was actually the sixth and final goal, provided by Ben Eager.

Check this out!

I wonder if Dallas fans think scoring goals against them is suspension-worthy. We already know that they think it's fine to board a player onto injured reserves, but that it's suspensionable to let a smaller guy skate into you from this play:

Crawford (yes--the Bertuzzi Crawford) and Steve Ott (yes--that Steve Ott) were so upset with this state of affairs that both demanded that Murray be suspended for that hit after the game, even though the hit on Wallin led directly to a Dallas goal. "Colin Campbell has his hands full, that's for sure," Ott said. "The Loui Eriksson hit, I think that is prototypical. He's reaching for the hit. The big guy knows what he is doing. He's bearing down and finishing the check." ... "If this doesn't get looked at, I don't know. I guess when you're used to being on the other end and being suspended like I have in the past, it's pretty evident where this stuff should go in a hurry."

And Crawford:

“That’s one [Murray on Eriksson] that they’ll have to look at, and I am sure that they will,” Crawford said of the hit. “We’re hopeful that Loui is going to be alright. He is not feeling good right now and we’ll see where he is at tomorrow. It’s always the next day that you’ve got to look to.

“You want to take those hits out of the game. That ends up being something we can’t control and it’s out of our hands now.”
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

Latinum Star Recipient; Hacker's Cross Award Winner

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away."
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

WTF is that pussy shit? Eriksson is lucky that Scott Stevens is retired or this would've happened to him.

aerius: I'll vote for you if you sleep with me. :)
Lusankya: Deal!
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
Burak Gazan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Burak Gazan »

Nice backhand there by Eager , even if it was a bit of yawning cage :wink: Still pretty to see :mrgreen:

Leafs win again, so still not dead yet. If nothing else, it preps the ground for 2011-12.

Montreal defeated NJ tonight to officially knock them out of any hope of a playoff spot. Too bad, I had been hoping they would crash and burn and the Leafs do them in on their last game, but oh well :)
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

And absolutely nothing from the league for a blatant knee on knee, pathetic. I guess any cheap shot below the head isn't worth looking at.

Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Post by Master of Ossus »

If it's any consolation at all, Fanboy, Giordano will be suspended for the duration of the playoffs. ;)

(Sorry, Archon. That was low, I know.)

Man, your Ducks are killing my Sharks, so far.
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

Latinum Star Recipient; Hacker's Cross Award Winner

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away."
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

I didn't want to say anything because I thought a result like this might happen. Sharks are just too deep and after we got the second goal we stopped establishing ourselves regularly like we needed to. I'm more confident in a seven game series against them though now than I would have been two weeks ago.

Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

See now THAT is how you play when you get a 2-0 lead early.

Corey Perry is making serious noise but I'm sure NHL voters will be "Hart" of hearing.

Norade
Jedi Council Member

Post by Norade »

Just saw this one posted on a sports forum I lurk at and it seems to prove that certain teams get a nudge towards the post season.

School requires more work than I remember it taking...
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Well to be fair NHL officials are generally incompetent also, the bias is generally reserved for the Red Wings or for whoever is playing a team with a "reputation". A reputation earned in part because referees call too many stupid penalties.

Norade
Jedi Council Member

Post by Norade »

True enough as evidence by the suspension leveled at Torres versus the ones leveled/not leveled against players who made dirtier hits.
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

The motherfucking 4 seed! Take nothing for granted in the Western Conference! Also, SUCK ON IT LA! SUCK IT LONG, AND SUCK IT HARD! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Highlights from last night's season finale for the Ducks and Kings include a scrum in which:

-Jack Johnson boards Selanne harshly, should have been a 5 minute major and should be looked at by the league . (it will not be because there was no harm done and the NHL only reacts to the severity of injuries, unless Zdeno Chara does it).

-Sheldon Brookbank gets in a fight with Kyle Clifford and bloodies him good, Whatever scant good looks Clifford had were erased with a couple of shots to the face.

-SELANNE of all people ends up fighting Richardson after the aforementioned King pulls off Teemu's helmet during a battle for the puck and throws a cheap shot.

The Kings and Ducks have reversed roles and now the Kings are the team faced with an early round matchup with San Jose or Vancouver. Probably Vancouver unless Chicago chokes bad today.

Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Bring on the Preds

Norade
Jedi Council Member

Post by Norade »

I'm looking forward to seeing the Canucks take some revenge on the Hawks this post season.
Norade
Jedi Council Member

Post by Norade »

The playoffs start tonight and I for one can't wait. Clinching the president's trophy so early just seemed to make the wait for game one that much longer.

GO CANUCKS GO!
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Posting from game 1 of Ducks vs. Preds as I type this, puck drops in less than 30.

I missed this feeling.