Do we have any anti-UN loonies here?

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Graeme Dice
Jedi Master

Post by Graeme Dice »

Publius wrote:Actually, the Kyoto Protocol would be totally ineffective at curbing air pollution, due to the fact that it would not apply to developing nations such as India and the People's Republic of China -- whose use of environmentally protective regulation is relatively nonexistent.
Ahhh I see. So your argument is that we shouldn't do what's right because they don't have to. That's a playground mentality.
As it is, the Kyoto Protocol would only serve to cripple the economies of the United States and other fully developed states, whilst doing little to nothing to prevent continued air pollution.
Yes, reducing emissions to the level a decade ago will "cripple" the economy. That's laughable.
It is a flagrantly political measure, with the false mask of environmentalism used to convince uncareful observers of its own value.
Please provide a reference that the majority of air pollution comes from underdeveloped nations.

In what way does the location of the UNO affect the fact that it advocates the passage of measures which infringe upon the constitutional rights guaranteed United States citizens by their Second Article of Amendment to their Constitution?
The U.N. headquarters are located in the U.S., and unlessI'm mistaken, the government isn't allowed to tell people what they can discuss on American soil.
The UNO headquarters could be located in Rouen, France, and it would still be totally irrelevant to the fact that the organisation held a conference in the sovereign territory of the United States advocating measures which are unconstitutional therein.
Free speech protects such conferences.
Your pardon, but you are asking whether the United States should be above the "law"? What "law"? There is no such thing as "international law," only international convention.
Then why should the U.S. be above that?
Lusankya
ChiCom

Post by Lusankya »

I suppose it was a compliment, Crown.

Why do you put my name in capitals?

I'm flattered, whatever the reason.
"I would say that the above post is off-topic, except that I'm not sure what the topic of this thread is, and I don't think anybody else is sure either."
- Darth Wong
Free Durian - Last updated 27 Dec
"Why does it look like you are in China or something?" - havokeff
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

I wrote your name in bold, not capitals.

Just to get your attention. :)
Η ζωή, η ζωή εδω τελειώνει!
"Science is one cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on" - Masuka 'Dexter'
"Angela is not the woman you think she is Gabriel, she's done terrible things"
"So have I, and I'm going to do them all to you." - Sylar to Arthur 'Heroes'
MKSheppard
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger

Post by MKSheppard »

<snip drooling enviro-propaganda from Graeme>

LOL, I kept laughing my ass off at this, I had no
idea you could be so gullible Graeme...

EDIT: Case in point, Air Conditioning....and the
so-called R-134a refrigerant.....thanks to "well
meaning idiots" like you, we now need to be
licensed to even buy refridgerant in the US
and to even open our air conditioners.

May the EPA burn in hell.
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
SPOOFE
Sith Devotee

Post by SPOOFE »

As it is, the Kyoto Protocol would only serve to cripple the economies of the United States and other fully developed states
The biggest flaw in the Kyoto Treaty? It dealt only with total pollution output, rather than percentage of pollution output compared to percentage of Gross Worldwide Product (or Global Product, or whatever the term is). Basically, the United States may be the biggest emitter of carbon monoxide, but it's also the biggest industrial power on the planet. Place restrictions on pollution, and that means we'll have to be more stringent on our production... which will cause our Gross Domestic Product to go down... which will cause the overall Global Product to go down...

Why would the U.N. want to do this? Could it be that they'd prefer that someone other than the United States were the top dog? I dunno, but I can't think of a better reason...
The Great and Malignant
SPOOFE
Sith Devotee

Post by SPOOFE »

Please provide a reference that the majority of air pollution comes from underdeveloped nations.
Nobody ever claimed that they created the "majority" of the pollution. But in terms of the ratio between how much pollution they make versus their industrial production... well... I hope you see what I'm getting at.
The Great and Malignant
Graeme Dice
Jedi Master

Post by Graeme Dice »

MKSheppard wrote:<snip drooling enviro-propaganda from Graeme>
<More of the usual right-wing bullshit from MKSheppard>
LOL, I kept laughing my ass off at this, I had no
idea you could be so gullible Graeme...
I already knew that you were stupid enough to post this.
EDIT: Case in point, Air Conditioning....and the
so-called R-134a refrigerant.....thanks to "well
meaning idiots" like you, we now need to be
licensed to even buy refridgerant in the US
and to even open our air conditioners.
So what?
Graeme Dice
Jedi Master

Post by Graeme Dice »

SPOOFE wrote:
Nobody ever claimed that they created the "majority" of the pollution. But in terms of the ratio between how much pollution they make versus their industrial production... well... I hope you see what I'm getting at.
No, I don't. I'm still waiting for the reference.
MKSheppard

Post by MKSheppard »

Graeme Dice wrote: So what?
Well, considering that the Montreal Protocol banned R-12 "Freon"
and a shitload of other refrigerants because of supposed damage
to the Ozone layer by them.......

Consider the following facts:

1.) Refrigerant is HEAVIER than air.

2.) The ozone layer is in the UPPER ATMOSPHERE, which is 10-15km
above sea level.

Can you please explain to me how a heavier than air refrigerant
somehow magically floats 10 km up in the atmosphere?

Also, R-134a is much less efficient than R-12, causing air conditioners
to need more electricity to cool the same amount of air, so you're
increasing greenhouse gasses to "save" the ozone layer.
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
MKSheppard

It is also a FELONY to open your airconditioner

Post by MKSheppard »

Unless you are a EPA section 608 certified technician.

You cannot buy refrigerant unless you are Sec 608 certified.

What this means is that the government in the name of
"environmental awareness" has made air conditioner
repairs off-limits to the average citizen, by making it
a Felony to attempt to repair your A/C without EPA certificiation.

It only costs me $40 bux for a 30 pound tank of R-22 since
I am a Section 608 certified tech, and this tank has lasted through
the summer, negating the need to call an air conditioning service
company several times this summer to fix my grandmother's A/C
at a cost of $80 per call.

MKSheppard

Post by MKSheppard »

Graeme Dice wrote: <More of the usual right-wing bullshit from MKSheppard>
Eh, well, you people back in the 1970s were claiming unless
we changed our ways, the earth would be COOLING OFF.

Now, your tune has changed, and you people say that
unless we change our ways, the Earth will WARM UP.

Sweet Mother of Jesus at an Abortion Clinic, MAKE UP YOUR
FUCKING MINDS!

Is the earth getting cooler or hotter?

Graeme Dice
Jedi Master

Post by Graeme Dice »

ALl replies contained within.
MKSheppard wrote:
Graeme Dice wrote: So what?
Well, considering that the Montreal Protocol banned R-12 "Freon"
and a shitload of other refrigerants because of supposed damage
to the Ozone layer by them.......

Consider the following facts:

1.) Refrigerant is HEAVIER than air.
So is CO2, your point being?
2.) The ozone layer is in the UPPER ATMOSPHERE, which is 10-15km
above sea level.

Can you please explain to me how a heavier than air refrigerant
somehow magically floats 10 km up in the atmosphere?
The same way anything that's heavier than air does. It's called wind.
Also, R-134a is much less efficient than R-12, causing air conditioners
to need more electricity to cool the same amount of air, so you're
increasing greenhouse gasses to "save" the ozone layer.
Numbers please.
What this means is that the government in the name of
"environmental awareness" has made air conditioner
repairs off-limits to the average citizen, by making it
a Felony to attempt to repair your A/C without EPA certificiation.
So you want it to be legal for you to make repairs on equipment that contains hazardous chemicals? Okay, I guess anybody should be allowed to work on valves that keep acids/hot water/anything away from people.
It only costs me $40 bux for a 30 pound tank of R-22 since
I am a Section 608 certified tech, and this tank has lasted through
the summer, negating the need to call an air conditioning service
company several times this summer to fix my grandmother's A/C
at a cost of $80 per call.
If you can get the certification Ryan, then anybody can.
Eh, well, you people back in the 1970s were claiming unless
we changed our ways, the earth would be COOLING OFF.

Now, your tune has changed, and you people say that
unless we change our ways, the Earth will WARM UP.

Sweet Mother of Jesus at an Abortion Clinic, MAKE UP YOUR
FUCKING MINDS!

Is the earth getting cooler or hotter?
The Earth has been getting consistently hotter on average for over 100 years. There is no arguing with the measured data unless you want to claim that thousands of automated measuring stations are contributing to the "vast conspiracy of scientists".

You display your typical ignorance in assuming that people aren't allowed to change their views on a subject when new data arises.
Publius
Jedi Council Member

Post by Publius »

Ahhh I see. So your argument is that we shouldn't do what's right because they don't have to. That's a playground mentality.
Do you always manufacture arguments, and then attribute them to others? Whence did this argument come? Who said this?
Yes, reducing emissions to the level a decade ago will "cripple" the economy. That's laughable.
Reduction of emissions would necessitate reduction in production, which would simultaneously necessitate termination of growth. An economy which cannot grow is crippled.
Again, you have manufactured an argument, and attributed it to someone else. No-one said that the majority of air pollution comes from underdeveloped states. However, the fact that underdeveloped states are not restricted by the Protocol reveals that the Protocol's intent is not reduction of air pollution, but reduction of air pollution by certain parties -- it is a political measure, not an environmentalist one.
The U.N. headquarters are located in the U.S., and unlessI'm mistaken, the government isn't allowed to tell people what they can discuss on American soil.
You are mistaken.

Ask Mr Charles T. Schenck about what one is and what one is not permitted to discuss on United States sovereign territory. A number of public laws and Supreme Court opinions uphold the legality of restraint of freedom of speech.

Nevertheless, the UNO's advocacy of unconstitutional measures is (as of yet) still legal. It does not mean it is not a deliberate insult to the sovereignty of the United States.
Free speech protects such conferences.
Legality does not confer appropriateness -- it is inappropriate and insulting to the dignity of the United States for the UNO to do so, despite the Charter's professed respect for the sovereignty of its members.
Then why should the U.S. be above that?
No sovereign state is subject to international convention except by its own sufference. The only legal basis for international convention -- viz., treaties -- are entered into by sovereign states freely and of their own will, and may be abrogated and disregarded just as freely.

Recall that in order for a treaty to be legally binding upon the United States, the Senate of the United States must approve it, and it then becomes part of the laws of the United States. As with any law from the Federal Government, that law may be superseded or repealed by any Act of the Congress.

To wit: The United States are free to disregard convention because, as Caius Cassius Longinus boasts in William Shakespeare's Julius Caesar, "[t]hat part of tyranny that I do bear, I can shake off at pleasure."

Publius
God's in His Heaven, all's right with the world
Graeme Dice
Jedi Master

Post by Graeme Dice »

Publius wrote:Do you always manufacture arguments, and then attribute them to others? Whence did this argument come? Who said this?
Originally posted by Publius: "Actually, the Kyoto Protocol would be totally ineffective at curbing air pollution, due to the fact that it would not apply to developing nations such as India and the People's Republic of China -- whose use of environmentally protective regulation is relatively nonexistent. "
Your argument is nothing different than stating that we shouldn't reduce emissions because other countries aren't going to.
Reduction of emissions would necessitate reduction in production, which would simultaneously necessitate termination of growth. An economy which cannot grow is crippled.
Please prove that a reduction in emissions would require a reduction in production.
Again, you have manufactured an argument, and attributed it to someone else. No-one said that the majority of air pollution comes from underdeveloped states.
Thank you for admitting that your earlier statements regarding them were pointless then. If they are not producing as much pollution, then they don't need controls.
However, the fact that underdeveloped states are not restricted by the Protocol reveals that the Protocol's intent is not reduction of air pollution, but reduction of air pollution by certain parties -- it is a political measure, not an environmentalist one.
I'm still waiting for the numbers to back up your statements. When you can show that the emissions per person in underdeveloped nations is as large as in developed nations, then you can make a case that they should be restricted.
Ask Mr Charles T. Schenck about what one is and what one is not permitted to discuss on United States sovereign territory. A number of public laws and Supreme Court opinions uphold the legality of restraint of freedom of speech.
Then you won't mind providing said statements.
Nevertheless, the UNO's advocacy of unconstitutional measures is (as of yet) still legal. It does not mean it is not a deliberate insult to the sovereignty of the United States.
The U.S. deserves to get insulted once in a while, if only for its violations of NAFTA.
To wit: The United States are free to disregard convention because, as Caius Cassius Longinus boasts in William Shakespeare's Julius Caesar, "[t]hat part of tyranny that I do bear, I can shake off at pleasure."
Then remember that nobody has to respect your country.

Publius[/quote]
MKSheppard

Post by MKSheppard »

<snip stuff>
Numbers please.
OK.......

Numbers for R-12 "Freon" to get it up to 130 degrees F, giving you the
necessary "bounce" on hot days of 100 degrees outside air temp.

R-12: 130 deg F - 180 PSIG

R-134a: 130 deg F - 200 PSIG

You need more compressor power to get the R-134a hot enough
to give off it's heat to the outside air, which means more
electricity is wasted.

And R-12 "Freon" was wonderful. It was NON-TOXIC, and the only
danger you had to be aware of was that it displaced oxygen, making
it potentially lethal in enclosed spaces.

The environmentally safer refrigerant R-134a causes liver cancer.

MKSheppard

Post by MKSheppard »

The Earth has been getting consistently hotter on average for over 100 years. There is no arguing with the measured data unless you want to claim that thousands of automated measuring stations are contributing to the "vast conspiracy of scientists".

You display your typical ignorance in assuming that people aren't allowed to change their views on a subject when new data arises.
If the earth has been getting hotter for the last 100 years as you claim,
then what the living FUCK caused the 1970s "ice age" scare?

Publius
Jedi Council Member

Post by Publius »

Originally posted by Publius: "Actually, the Kyoto Protocol would be totally ineffective at curbing air pollution, due to the fact that it would not apply to developing nations such as India and the People's Republic of China -- whose use of environmentally protective regulation is relatively nonexistent. "
Your argument is nothing different than stating that we shouldn't reduce emissions because other countries aren't going to.
No, that is your interpretation of the argument, not the argument itself. The argument itself simply states that the overall effect of the Protocol would be nil because of the fact that only some states are restricted.
Please prove that a reduction in emissions would require a reduction in production.
Admittedly, one's perception of economics is not easily provable. That reduction of emissions would require reduction of production is such a perception -- not necessarily provable.

To wit: Such proof is not available.
Thank you for admitting that your earlier statements regarding them were pointless then. If they are not producing as much pollution, then they don't need controls.
Then you admit that restriction of pollution in general is not the purpose of the Protocol, but that restriction of pollution by certain parties is -- the Kyoto Protocol was marketed (so to speak) as a means of reducing pollution in totum.
I'm still waiting for the numbers to back up your statements. When you can show that the emissions per person in underdeveloped nations is as large as in developed nations, then you can make a case that they should be restricted.
Regrettably, such numbers are not available. Nevertheless, the very fact that underdeveloped states are not required to observe environmental restrictions reveals that the intent of the Protocol is not reduction of pollution, but reduction of pollution by certain parties.
Then you won't mind providing said statements.
Not at all.

The Sedition Act of 14 July 1798, which remained in force until 3 March 1801 (per the terms of the Act), placed lengthy restrictions on the freedom of speech regarding the United States Government, the Congress, the House of Representatives, the Senate, or the President of the United States. It was implicitly held to be constitutional by virtue of never having been nullified by the Supreme Court, which first established its power of judicial review in Hylton v. United States (1796). (It should be noted, however, that after President Adams left office, all fines accrued under the Sedition Act were repaid and all convictions were pardoned by the Jefferson Administration.)

The Espionage Act of 15 June 1917 (and its later amendment by the Espionage Act of 16 May 1918, Pub. L. 553-554; Stat. 40) placed restrictions on the freedom of speech and of the press, including provision for fines of up to $10,000 and twenty years' incarceration. The constitutionality of the statutes was upheld by the Supreme Court in Schenck v. United States (3 March 1919; 249 US 47), in which the Opinion of the Court found that the freedom of speech is not absolute, and that the Congress has the right to restrict speech used in such circumstances and is of such nature as to create a clear and present danger.

In Gitlow v. New York (1925), the Supreme Court found that a State may restrict abuse of the freedom of speech in the form of utterences that are "inimical to the public welfare, tending to corrupt public morals, incite to crime or disturb the public police."

In 1940, the Congress enacted the Alien Registration Act (54 Stat. 671; 18 U.S.C. 2385), more commonly known as the Smith Act, which provides for the fining or twenty years' incarceration, and five years' disqualification from employment by the United States or any department thereof of "[w]hoever knowingly or willfully advocates, abets, advises, or teaches the duty, necessity, desirability, or propriety of overthrowing or destroying the government of the United States or the government of any State, Territory, District, or Possession thereof, or the government of any political subdivision therein, by force of violence, or by the assassination of any officer of any such government." Its constitutionality was upheld by the Supreme Court in Dennis et al. v. United States (4 June 1951), and is even now in effect.

As you can see, restriction of the freedom of speech is entirely legal under many circumstances, in the opinions of both the Congress and the Supreme Court.

Publius

Edit: Minor correction of orthography.
God's in His Heaven, all's right with the world
MKSheppard

Post by MKSheppard »

(edited for clarity)
Graeme Dice wrote:ALl replies contained within.

1.) So is CO2, your point being?

2.) The same way anything that's heavier than air does. It's called wind.

3.) Numbers please.

4.) So you want it to be legal for you to make repairs on equipment that contains hazardous chemicals? Okay, I guess anybody should be allowed to work on valves that keep acids/hot water/anything away from people.

5.) Ad Hominem Attack Snipped

6. ) The Earth has been getting consistently hotter on average for over 100 years. There is no arguing with the measured data unless you want to claim that thousands of automated measuring stations are contributing to the "vast conspiracy of scientists".
1 & 2.) How does something heavier than air manage to get up 10 KM? Don't just hand-wave it away by saying "Wind". URL please?

3.) Gave you the numbers in a previous post.

4.) You don't know a damn thing about Air Conditioning, do you? Freon
is one of the most non-toxic substances known to man.

6.) GLOBAL COOLING.

http://www.globalclimate.org/Newsweek.htm

Don't throw up your straw-men of "hundreds of ground stations".

URL to such data pertaining to global warming, please?

Graeme Dice
Jedi Master

Post by Graeme Dice »

MKSheppard wrote:(edited for clarity)
5.) Ad Hominem Attack Snipped]
It's a perfectly legitimate statement. If a convicted felon can get access to the materials, then anyone can.
1 & 2.) How does something heavier than air manage to get up 10 KM? Don't just hand-wave it away by saying "Wind". URL please?
Tell me. What's the weight of air? What's the composition at that altitude? Why is ozone found up there when it's O3 and also "heavier than air"?
3.) Gave you the numbers in a previous post.
The difference is relatively minor compared to the environmental damage from ozone depletion.
4.) You don't know a damn thing about Air Conditioning, do you? Freon
is one of the most non-toxic substances known to man.
Red herring. It's effects on ozone are well documented and studied.
Yes, there was a short cooling trend during part of this century, which in now way affects the historical data from the mid 1600's.
Don't throw up your straw-men of "hundreds of ground stations".
Learn what the names of the logical fallacies actually mean before you throw them around. It's not a strawman to directly refute your argument.
URL to such data pertaining to global warming, please?
You need to find the data from the Global Historical Climatological Network from NOAA. http://www.noaa.gov/ghcn/ghcn.html would have worked five years ago, but not anymore.
“Global Historical Climatological Network.”
Graeme Dice
Jedi Master

Post by Graeme Dice »

Publius wrote:No, that is your interpretation of the argument, not the argument itself. The argument itself simply states that the overall effect of the Protocol would be nil because of the fact that only some states are restricted.
Right. Which is exactly what my interpretation stated. That you don't like the ramifications of your argument doesn't matter one bit.
Admittedly, one's perception of economics is not easily provable. That reduction of emissions would require reduction of production is such a perception -- not necessarily provable.

To wit: Such proof is not available.
Good, then you cannot pronounce this statement as fact.
Then you admit that restriction of pollution in general is not the purpose of the Protocol, but that restriction of pollution by certain parties is -- the Kyoto Protocol was marketed (so to speak) as a means of reducing pollution in totum.
And it will. Do you seriously believe that making the worst polluters reduce their emissions won't reduce pollution overall?
Regrettably, such numbers are not available. Nevertheless, the very fact that underdeveloped states are not required to observe environmental restrictions reveals that the intent of the Protocol is not reduction of pollution, but reduction of pollution by certain parties.
Bullshit. Reduction of pollution is reduction of pollution, whether one person does it, or 6 billion.
The Sedition Act of 14 July 1798, which remained in force until 3 March 1801 (per the terms of the Act), placed lengthy restrictions on the freedom of speech regarding the United States Government, the Congress, the House of Representatives, the Senate, or the President of the United States. It was implicitly held to be constitutional by virtue of never having been nullified by the Supreme Court, which first established its power of judicial review in Hylton v. United States (1796). (It should be noted, however, that after President Adams left office, all fines accrued under the Sedition Act were repaid and all convictions were pardoned by the Jefferson Administration.)
And since this act was not in effect at the time of the conference, its existence has no bearing on arguments about topics the constitution might deal with. Even if it were still in effect, by your own admission it does not deal with constitutional topics in general.
The Espionage Act of 15 June 1917 (and its later amendment by the Espionage Act of 16 May 1918, Pub. L. 553-554; Stat. 40) placed restrictions on the freedom of speech and of the press, including provision for fines of up to $10,000 and twenty years' incarceration. The constitutionality of the statutes was upheld by the Supreme Court in Schenck v. United States (3 March 1919; 249 US 47), in which the Opinion of the Court found that the freedom of speech is not absolute, and that the Congress has the right to restrict speech used in such circumstances and is of such nature as to create a clear and present danger.
So where's the "Clear and Present Danger" in a conference in the U.N.?
In Gitlow v. New York (1925), the Supreme Court found that a State may restrict abuse of the freedom of speech in the form of utterences that are "inimical to the public welfare, tending to corrupt public morals, incite to crime or disturb the public police."
And a gun control conference does any of these things?
In 1940, the Congress enacted the Alien Registration Act (54 Stat. 671; 18 U.S.C. 2385), more commonly known as the Smith Act, which provides for the fining or twenty years' incarceration, and five years' disqualification from employment by the United States or any department thereof of "[w]hoever knowingly or willfully advocates, abets, advises, or teaches the duty, necessity, desirability, or propriety of overthrowing or destroying the government of the United States or the government of any State, Territory, District, or Possession thereof, or the government of any political subdivision therein, by force of violence, or by the assassination of any officer of any such government." Its constitutionality was upheld by the Supreme Court in Dennis et al. v. United States (4 June 1951), and is even now in effect.
This last one is the only one of your examples that even remotely deals with discussions on the constitution. In order for this to apply, you would have to prove that this conference was directly aimed at the U.S.