What are your favourite Dog Breeds?

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Bug-Eyed Earl
Jedi Master

Post by Bug-Eyed Earl »

I'm partial to big dogs in little bodies- pugs rock. They're stocky and cheerful, and good for a laugh. That and hiding change in the folds on their face.

I also like Corgis. Possibly the cutest dogs in existence.

Siberian huskies are another fave of mine:

http://bbs.stardestroyer.net/viewtopic. ... highlight=
BotM Cybertronian
KrauserKrauser
Sith Devotee

Post by KrauserKrauser »

I've been thinking of getting a dog when I move in the next few months, what breeds of dogs don't shed?

I know Shit-zu's don't from previous experience, what other breeds are require grooming instead of shedding?
VRWC : Justice League : SDN Weight Watchers : BOTM : Former AYVB

Resident Magic the Gathering Guru : Recovering MMORPG Addict
Darth Servo
Emperor's Hand

Post by Darth Servo »

KrauserKrauser wrote:I've been thinking of getting a dog when I move in the next few months, what breeds of dogs don't shed?

I know Shit-zu's don't from previous experience, what other breeds are require grooming instead of shedding?
The invisible dog on a leash?
"everytime a person is born the Earth weighs just a little more."--DMJ on StarTrek.com
"You see now you are using your thinking and that is not a good thing!" DMJay on StarTrek.com

"Watching Sarli argue with Vympel, Stas, Schatten and the others is as bizarre as the idea of the 40-year-old Virgin telling Hugh Hefner that Hef knows nothing about pussy, and that he is the expert."--Elfdart
Aaron
Blackpowder Man

Post by Aaron »

KrauserKrauser wrote:I've been thinking of getting a dog when I move in the next few months, what breeds of dogs don't shed?

Poodles, both the Standard and Miniture kinds.
M1891/30: A bad day on the range is better then a good day at work.
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Smaller dogs -- primarily Scottish terriers and Welsh Corgis. I hate big dogs.
Dartzap
Sith Acolyte

Post by Dartzap »

The trouble with smaller dogs like Shit-zu's is that they uh... get certain problems with their arses and digestive system. This tends to happen as they get older mind, and if their diets good it generally doesn't occur.
EBC: Northeners, Huh! What are they good for?! Absolutely nothing! :P

Cybertron, Justice league...MM, HAB SDN City Watch: Sergeant Detritus

Days Unstabbed, Unabused, Unassualted and Unwavedatwithabutchersknife: 0
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

JME2 wrote:Smaller dogs -- primarily Scottish terriers and Welsh Corgis. I hate big dogs.
:shock: You anti american terrorist loving goober!

:P

I love the big breeds and/or the medium breeds. I've always told my wife who'd like a lap dog, that if she wanted a cat get one, I want a dog.

However, while I like big dogs, I really have little interest in the 'guard dog' breeds. No Rots, Dobbermens(sp?) and the like. Though I'd make an exception for the German Shepards, they're good dogs. But I still prefer mutts.

My wife wants to get one of those South African Boer's (I think that's what they are called). I read something about them and they sound like good dogs too.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Cpl Kendall wrote:

Poodles are also one of the more intelligent dog breeds, despite looking like they should have all the IQ of a biscuit. Standard ones tend to be more relaxed, especially around strangers. Miniatures can be a bit high strung.
Gil Hamilton
Tipsy Space Birdie

Post by Gil Hamilton »

Mutts are good dogs generally, and full of hybrid vigor.

My favorite specific breed however is the Australian Cattle Dog. Brilliant, athletic, ballsy, loyal to family (even if they are territorial and a little unfriendly to strangers). Too much in some catagories, because they get bored easily and you can't run them enough (they get fat easily if they don't get long runs).
"Show me an angel and I will paint you one." - Gustav Courbet

"Quetzalcoatl, plumed serpent of the Aztecs... you are a pussy." - Stephen Colbert

"Really, I'm jealous of how much smarter than me he is. I'm not an expert on anything and he's an expert on things he knows nothing about." - Me, concerning a bullshitter
Ritterin Sophia
Sith Acolyte

Post by Ritterin Sophia »

Cpl Kendall wrote:

I swear, it's a poodle, and not a vicious killer Doberman...

PS: I hate those god damned media-whores who actually make that accusation in all seriousness.
A Certain Clique, HAB, The Chroniclers
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Dachshund ( I have one), Welsh Corgie (Ein FTW), and Saint Bernards/Mastiffs, because I think huge dogs are cool.
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."
-George Carlin (1937-2008)

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
Jadeite
Racist Pig Fucker

Post by Jadeite »

Greyhounds and Dobermans.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

General Schatten wrote: I swear, it's a poodle, and not a vicious killer Doberman....
You know, it probably wasn't until some twit went and stuck a load of fluff to it.

After that picture, the cameraman was in some trouble...
Ritterin Sophia
Sith Acolyte

Post by Ritterin Sophia »

Vendetta wrote:
General Schatten wrote: I swear, it's a poodle, and not a vicious killer Doberman....
You know, it probably wasn't until some twit went and stuck a load of fluff to it.

After that picture, the cameraman was in some trouble...
The funniest part is, he's giving the 'I'm going to kill you...' look.
A Certain Clique, HAB, The Chroniclers
Darth Servo
Emperor's Hand

Post by Darth Servo »

General Schatten wrote:The funniest part is, he's giving the 'I'm going to kill you...' look.
I have this strange feeling LOTS of poodles are thinking precisely that when their owners give them that ridiculous haircut. I know I would be.
"everytime a person is born the Earth weighs just a little more."--DMJ on StarTrek.com
"You see now you are using your thinking and that is not a good thing!" DMJay on StarTrek.com

"Watching Sarli argue with Vympel, Stas, Schatten and the others is as bizarre as the idea of the 40-year-old Virgin telling Hugh Hefner that Hef knows nothing about pussy, and that he is the expert."--Elfdart
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Darth Servo wrote:
General Schatten wrote:The funniest part is, he's giving the 'I'm going to kill you...' look.
I have this strange feeling LOTS of poodles are thinking precisely that when their owners give them that ridiculous haircut. I know I would be.
That's not a poodle though. It's a Dobermann with fluff stuck on. (I recognise the picture from a satirical site offering "poodle conversion kits" for dogs that are considered "dangerous breeds".)

And the look on the Dog's face says "I'm getting a bone the size of your leg for this stunt, and I'm not fussy where it comes from"