Best/worst anime?

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Datana
Jedi Master

Post by Datana »

Favorite: El-Hazard (OVA 1 only; everything else sucks)
Favorite Runners-up: Evangelion (I actually bought the metal box set), Seikai no Senki and SnSII, Giant Robo, Rurouni Kenshin (AKA Samurai X), Cowboy Bebop, Escaflowne, most Studio Ghibli stuff
Guilty pleasure: Most CLAMP stuff

Hated: Ranma 1/2 (some will hang me for this one)
Hated Runners-up: Love Hina (like Evil Sadistic Bastard, I got sick of it after the first few eps), Bubblegum Crash (but not Crisis or Crisis 2040), Final Fantasy Unlimited

Concerning the Voltron Power Ranger discussion: Voltron (AKA Hyaku Juuoh Golion (King of a Hundred Beasts Golion)) simply copied the style of the live action sentai shows for its particular brand of giant robot anime. Power Rangers outright stole clips from said shows; the reason the robots changed each season was because Saban ran out of usable footage from a given series and needed to cannibalize another for more (plus they could sell more toys that way).
Dalton
For Those About to Rock We Salute You
For Those About to Rock We Salute You

Post by Dalton »

I haven't seen much anime (it's my sister's vice, she has still to educate me) but of the ones I have seen, my definite favorites are Cowboy Bebop (the movie fucking rocks) and Outlaw Star. Also, Iria (the one about Zeram). Others I think I would like but have yet to get into are Escaflowne, Trigun, Ghost in the Shell, Gundam and Excel Saga. I also like Zillion.

Also have some Serial Experiments: Lain I haven't seen yet, but I'm assured it's good, and Tenchi is good for a laugh. A friend of mine lent me the first series on DVD, uncensored. The Magic Fingers scene? Totally cut from the Cartoon Network version :)

But the one I'm absolutely sick of is Dragonball Z. Goddamn! Give me a fucking break! I also disdain anything that ends in "mon",
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.
Sienthal
Padawan Learner

No Challenge

Post by Sienthal »

Golden Boy or Those Who Hunt Elves are my all-time favorite animes. They have some nudity, but they are funny as HELL and the TWHE has a pretty nice storyline.
Welcome to the Divine Empire of Ashcroft:
-Hey, you! Sending e-mail, eh?Say Cheese!
-What I say here is forever being recorded. Wonderful, isn't it?
-Jack Chick develops the most disturbing Chick tract to date. It may be viewed here: MIGHTY MORPHIN' SATAN RANGERS! GO!
Shadowhawk
Jedi Knight

Post by Shadowhawk »

Dalton, Excel Saga is generally for more...advanced anime viewers. It's a parody of anime, and a lot of it might be lost on a neophyte. :)

It's not as bad as watching Puni Puni Poemi or Abenobashi Mahou Shoutengai, but you still won't appreciate it like you will after having watched a couple dozen series to completion.

As for DBZ, that's my guilty pleasure. You've got to be in the right mindset for DBZ, take it for what it is, and see beyond the large amounts of filler inserted by Toei into the anime that wasn't present in the manga.
Shadowhawk
Eric from ASVS
"Sufficiently advanced technology is often indistinguishable from magic." -- Clarke's Third Law
"Then, from sea to shining sea, the God-King sang the praises of teflon, and with his face to the sunshine, he churned lots of butter." -- Body of a pharmacy spam email

Here's my avatar, full-sized (Yoshitoshi ABe's autograph in my Lain: Omnipresence artbook)
Evil Sadistic Bastard
Hentai Tentacle Demon

Post by Evil Sadistic Bastard »

Where can i find Excel Saga? It sounds like an "against-type" anime and I'm intrigued?
Believe in the sign of Hentai.

BotM - Hentai Tentacle Monkey/Warwolves - Evil-minded Medic/JL - Medical Jounin/Mecha Maniacs - Fuchikoma Grope Attack!/AYVB - Bloody Bastards.../GALE Force - Purveyor of Anal Justice/HAB - Combat Medical Orderly

Combat Medical Orderly(Also Nameless Test-tube Washer) : SD.Net Dept. of Biological Sciences
Shadowhawk
Jedi Knight

Post by Shadowhawk »

Weird Anime (or Quack Experimental Anime, as the dub calls it) Excel Saga is just now being released in the US with a surprisingly good dub (Calvello does a serviceable job as Excel, which is probably the most strenuous voice acting job ever, but she left about halfway through the series because ADV decided to speed up production, which would have destroyed her vocal chords (she was guarnteed 2 week breaks between each volume; ADV removed the breaks)). The first volume was released last month, and provides tons of extras, including pop-up notes during every episode explaining many of the visuals or Japanese jokes. 5 episodes and a damned good price of $18-20 at Best Buy.

It's 26 episodes, and each episode parodies a different anime genre. Sci-fi, Gripping Social Drama, Love Comedy, Adventure, Military, etc. In the very first episode, Excel is ordered to assassinate Koshi Rikudo, who created the Excel Saga manga. Excel dies about 5 times in the first episode, her Devil Conscience is murdered by her Angel Conscience, and all sort of other wacky things happen. The anime doesn't have much relation to the manga except for a generalized plot and some of the characters.
Puni Puni Poemi is a 2-episode OVA that supposedly takes place after Excel Saga, and is just downright bizarre, where as Excel Saga is just weird.
Shadowhawk
Eric from ASVS
"Sufficiently advanced technology is often indistinguishable from magic." -- Clarke's Third Law
"Then, from sea to shining sea, the God-King sang the praises of teflon, and with his face to the sunshine, he churned lots of butter." -- Body of a pharmacy spam email

Here's my avatar, full-sized (Yoshitoshi ABe's autograph in my Lain: Omnipresence artbook)
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

Like:
Trigun, Dirty Pair, Gunsmith Cats, Armitage, Battle Angel, Hokoto-no-Ken, Vampire Hunter D, Bubble Gum Chrisis, Bastard, City Hunter, Midnight Eye, Golgoto 13, AD Police, Dominion Tank Police, Cowboy Bebop, and Simular stories.

HATE:
All Dragon Ball (It's just a nth rate rip off of the Monkey King, and Cobra and Midnight Eye were both supirior rip-offs of the Monkey King)

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Evil Sadistic Bastard
Hentai Tentacle Demon

Post by Evil Sadistic Bastard »

Thanks, Shadowhawk.

Are there any other Sakura Wars fans here? I seem to be the only one...
Believe in the sign of Hentai.

BotM - Hentai Tentacle Monkey/Warwolves - Evil-minded Medic/JL - Medical Jounin/Mecha Maniacs - Fuchikoma Grope Attack!/AYVB - Bloody Bastards.../GALE Force - Purveyor of Anal Justice/HAB - Combat Medical Orderly

Combat Medical Orderly(Also Nameless Test-tube Washer) : SD.Net Dept. of Biological Sciences
EmperorChrostas the Cruel
Rabid Monkey

Post by EmperorChrostas the Cruel »

Cowboy Beebop, and Outlaw Star.
I too am ashamed to admit my love of Dragon ball Z. It is just SO bad, it's good! You could almost get all the action is the whole show, just by watching the flashbacks, and previews!
I almost fell off my chair laughing, when I got a once in a lifetime treat. An outtake version, never intended to be anything but an insider joke by the dubbing team, made it to the airwaves. (Someone got fired over this one, I am shure. King Kai was talking to one of the other three Kais, just prior to the tourament with Goku and Pikon being the last two finalist. He said, and I quote, "Shut your mouth, you little fat fuck, or I'll kick you ass!" This was only done once, and the firestorm this created guarenteed this was never to be shown on the cartoon network again!
Hmmmmmm.

"It is happening now, It has happened before, It will surely happen again."
Oldest member of SD.net, not most mature.
Brotherhood of the Monkey
Rabid Monkey

Cowboy Beebop, and Outlaw Star.
I too am ashamed to admit my love of Dragon ball Z. It is just SO bad, it's good! You could almost get all the action is the whole show, just by watching the flashbacks, and previews!
I almost fell off my chair laughing, when I got a once in a lifetime treat. An outtake version, never intended to be anything but an insider joke by the dubbing team, made it to the airwaves. (Someone got fired over this one, I am shure. King Kai was talking to one of the other three Kais, just prior to the tourament with Goku and Pikon being the last two finalist. He said, and I quote, "Shut your mouth, you little fat fuck, or I'll kick you ass!" This was only done once, and the firestorm this created guarenteed this was never to be shown on the cartoon network again! Lucky for them it was on the midnight run, not the 6:00 showing!
Hmmmmmm.

Rabid Monkey

Arrrg, the dreaded double post!
Hmmmmmm.

Shadowhawk
Jedi Knight

Post by Shadowhawk »

(Someone got fired over this one, I am shure. King Kai was talking to one of the other three Kais, just prior to the tourament with Goku and Pikon being the last two finalist. He said, and I quote, "Shut your mouth, you little fat fuck, or I'll kick you ass!" This was only done once, and the firestorm this created guarenteed this was never to be shown on the cartoon network again!
Actually, no, that isn't what he said. The rumor is that he said something about 'shut your mouth you fat fuck'; if you actually listen to it, it's pretty obvious that isn't waht he's saying.
Shadowhawk
Eric from ASVS

Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

Actually he said:

Just wait and see you fat fucking half-pint!

the point is, he said fuck. Anyway, I couldn't believe it, but them I burst out laughing.
JADAFETWA
Sienthal
Padawan Learner

Post by Sienthal »

Datana wrote:Hated: Ranma 1/2 (some will hang me for this one)
Hated Runners-up: Love Hina (like Evil Sadistic Bastard, I got sick of it after the first few eps), Bubblegum Crash (but not Crisis or Crisis 2040), Final Fantasy Unlimited
Ranma 1/2? I heard that was really good. What made you dislike such an anime?
Welcome to the Divine Empire of Ashcroft:
-Hey, you! Sending e-mail, eh?Say Cheese!
-What I say here is forever being recorded. Wonderful, isn't it?
-Jack Chick develops the most disturbing Chick tract to date. It may be viewed here: MIGHTY MORPHIN' SATAN RANGERS! GO!
Rabid Monkey

Thank you IG:
I was very buzzed when I saw it, and memory has a way of morphing over time, when the original input was corrupted to begin with! The laughing until I cried part didn't help me either!
Hmmmmmm.

Datana
Jedi Master

Post by Datana »

Sienthal wrote: Ranma 1/2? I heard that was really good. What made you dislike such an anime?
It's like Love Hina -- it starts off with a good premise, but quickly runs out of real ideas and rehashes stuff over and over (the same misunderstandings, martial arts gags, and 2-D characterizations put into slightly different situations -- the world is static). Kind of like a sitcom (if with martial arts in it), really, and those don't really agree with me. If you like that sort of thing, you might actually love the show. The manga I don't mind quite as much, but the anime makes me want to take an axe to the TV, especially after the second season.

The fans I know also irritate me. They're almost as rabid as Trekkies in rushing to the defense of their "orthodox" ideas (Ranma can defeat anyone in any series, Ranma is superior morally to any other character in the series and never makes an incorrect decision, Ranma 1/2 is the greatest work of animation (or manga) ever created, Takahashi Rumiko is a goddess and her story decisions are not to be questioned in any way, for instance). Don't get me started on the "anime vs. manga canon" wars. Not to say that they're all cultist in behavior, but most that I know are, so I wince whenever I hear someone claim that Ranma is their favorite anime as a result.

If you bring fanfics into it, I suspect that Ranma has spawned more bad ones of greater stinkiness than Trek and Wars combined. None of you have heard of Oscar Menendez, I hope? Good. Sorry for being so long-winded, but I didn't know where to start in answering your question. Hope that was useful.
Member of the Anti-PETA Anti-Fascist League
lgot
Jedi Knight

Post by lgot »

My favorite one is Ranma 1/2 and following closely are Record of Loddoss War, Evangelion (all of them. The final movies are masterpieces in my opinion), Macross Plus, Kenshin (The Shishio arc story is great), Ninja Scroll.

I dislike DB(largh)Z, the pokemon rip-off are annoying (as pokemon itself) and magical girls even more (but Card Captor Sakura is actually a great anime and manga) but one Called Corrector Yui break the records. Gundam Wing showed in Cartoon network annoy me mostly.
The fans I know also irritate me. They're almost as rabid as Trekkies in rushing to the defense of their "orthodox" ideas (Ranma can defeat anyone in any series, Ranma is superior morally to any other character in the series and never makes an incorrect decision, Ranma 1/2 is the greatest work of animation (or manga) ever created, Takahashi Rumiko is a goddess and her story decisions are not to be questioned in any way, for instance). Don't get me started on the "anime vs. manga canon" wars. Not to say that they're all cultist in behavior, but most that I know are, so I wince whenever I hear someone claim that Ranma is their favorite anime as a result.
Hehe...I am a old member (for 5 or 6 year) of a very active (not now when the series is old) Ranma ML and i know what you mean..But the Ranma being superior morally and never doing anything wrong was very much uncommun...he is usually called a jerk and such stuff. But the Takahashi being a goddess is very very very popular...
Muffin is food. Food is good. I am a Muffin. I am good.
Datana
Jedi Master

Post by Datana »

lgot wrote: Hehe...I am a old member (for 5 or 6 year) of a very active (not now when the series is old) Ranma ML and i know what you mean..But the Ranma being superior morally and never doing anything wrong was very much uncommun...he is usually called a jerk and such stuff. But the Takahashi being a goddess is very very very popular...
It was a popular argument amongst the anime club at my high school -- they could always ad-hoc a reason as to why what Ranma did was right, even the boneheaded (his usual behavior) and arguably "dishonorable" stuff (like the stunt against Ryouga and the Perfect Shishihokoudan). You'd think he was the ideal prince on a white horse or something based on how they'd carp.
Member of the Anti-PETA Anti-Fascist League
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

Whoo!

My DVD is WORKING!

Oh, as a result I just got to see both Armitage movies, Gun Smith Cats, and some of the Old Mobile Suit Gundums.

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

Tenchi Muyo! was pretty much my introduction into anime. The first film, Tenchi Muyo in Love is my Most Favorite Film Ever. The OVA, first TV series, and the other two films (especially the third: Tenchi Muyo in Love 2) are all great (but the second TV series, Shin Tenchi Muyo!/Tenchi in Tokyo blows.)

Neon Genesis Evangelion is a masterpiece, and the fact that Manga Entertainment isn't releasing The End of Evangelion until late September is driving me nuts.

As you might tell from my sig, I'm a huge Gundam fan, and my favorites are Mobile Suit Gundam, Gundam 0080, and Mobile Suit Z Gundam. And Azeron, you stupid fuck! The word "Zeon" (the official Japanese and English spelling) is pronounced "zee-on", not "zai-on". God damn it, you are so dense and clueless.

Love Hina is another that I enjoy a lot, and was the first series that I was introduced to by fansubs. But don't watch the dub: it's attrocious.

Another Japanese-only favorite one is Dragon Ball Z, particuarily the films.

One that I hate is some piece of crap called E.Y.E.S. of Mars don't watch it, it just plain sucks.
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"
lgot
Jedi Knight

Post by lgot »

Hehe...I am a old member (for 5 or 6 year) of a very active (not now when the series is old) Ranma ML and i know what you mean..But the Ranma being superior morally and never doing anything wrong was very much uncommun...he is usually called a jerk and such stuff. But the Takahashi being a goddess is very very very popular...
Redshirt

cowboy bebop

Post by Scottiemb1 »

:) it is the shit there is nothing better
Scottiemb1
Redshirt

The best

Post by Scottiemb1 »

Simpsons
DBZ
cowboy bebop
justice league