MORE Conversations From the Professional Front Lines

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Raw Shark
Stunt Driver / Babysitter

Re: MORE Conversations From the Professional Front Lines

Post by Raw Shark »

Not a conversation, but kind of work-related:

The doctor who does the bi-annual PUC physical for the company that I contract with operates out of an office on the second floor of a truck stop in a sketchy industrial neighborhood, directly above the diner and next door to a barber. And she has a thick Eastern-European accent. It's very evocative of Dr. Nick on The Simpsons.

"Do I really look like a guy with a plan? Y'know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it! Y'know, I just do things..." --The Joker
Lagmonster
Master Control Program
Master Control Program

Post by Lagmonster »

Whenever someone hurts themselves, or might have hurt themselves, anywhere on the job, they get to fill out a form. Every year, we review the forms, and have a highly unofficial "which accident was the most memorable and/or hilarious".

This year's winner will never, ever be beaten, because it involves the phrase "employee injured while transporting artificial genitals".
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

*carrying a box of fake dicks*

*trips, falls, injures self*

*cries out, "DIL 'DOH!!!"*
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Lagmonster wrote:This year's winner will never, ever be beaten, because it involves the phrase "employee injured while transporting artificial genitals".
You have to expand on this.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Raw Shark

Post by Raw Shark »

Yeah, I wood go nuts if I didn't get details here.

"Do I really look like a guy with a plan? Y'know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it! Y'know, I just do things..." --The Joker
SCRawl
Has a bad feeling about this.

Post by SCRawl »

I'm going to take a guess. Since Lagmonster works with scientists, in particular entomologists, there's an experiment going on in which the effectiveness of slightly different shapes of one set of genitalia or the other (for some insect species) is being investigated.
73% of all statistics are made up, including this one.

I'm waiting as fast as I can.
Terralthra
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Terralthra »

Everyone here has so far assumed that the genitals involved were phallic. It would be even funnier if the employee in question tripped while carrying a box of vaginas.
Lagmonster
Master Control Program
Master Control Program

Post by Lagmonster »

It's an OHS report from a public facility and involves sample collection. I don't think I can link to anything instructive that wouldn't get normal people fired from their jobs, but you can probably google various combinations of "artificial" "horse" and "breeding" and get close to the setup and punch line here. Or be put on a watch list, either/or.

According to the report, the poor soul's actual job requires him to inspect and maintain the condition of devices used by breeders, and for his sake I really hope he gets paid just millions of dollars to do so, if for nothing else than to compensate him for what he must go through when talking about his job to people he meets at parties.
U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

Soooo, he injured himself while carrying fake horse cocks. Ohhhhkay.

The only thing more embarassing would most likely how he got injured in the first place...
"Beware the Beast, Man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone amongst God's primates, he kills for sport, for lust, for greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of Death.."
—29th Scroll, 6th Verse of Ape Law
"Indelible in the hippocampus is the laughter. The uproarious laughter between the two, and their having fun at my expense.”
---Doctor Christine Blasey-Ford
Terralthra
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Terralthra »

If it's sample collection, I repeat, could easily be horse fleshlights.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Probably "fleshlights". For collecting sperm it's a hollow device that goes over the horse cock that at least somewhat mimics a horse vagina.

"How did you get hurt?"
"I tripped while carrying a crate of horse vajayjay"
"Well, how bad were you hurt?"
"I've fallen and I cunt get up."
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Raw Shark

Post by Raw Shark »

Man, it's a good thing Hedonism Bot doesn't know about that job. Guy would do it pro bono.

Raw Shark

Post by Raw Shark »

DENVER BFF: Raw Shark, will you eighty-six this guy for me, please? I've just had a really long day and need to do dishes, and you know what [boss] said.

ME: Yeah, on it.

DENVER BFF: Thanks, babe.

ME: No problem. [pause] Hey, big guy. You need to settle up, leave a respectable tip, and go.

BIG GUY: Says who?

ME: Says me.

BIG GUY: Are you trying to threaten me?

ME: Indirectly. That lady behind the bar asked me to tell you, because she didn't trust herself to get within swinging distance of you because the boss has been mad at her for injuring people lately. He's already talked to her a couple of times. Honestly, I'm a little scared of her, and she's my best friend, and I could eat a punch from you like a saltine cracker and be back on my feet just in time to watch her cut you with a broken pint glass. I'd try to stop her, but I probably couldn't. So. Why don't we all be civilized here?

BIG GUY: [long pause] Uh... yeah... Here, tell the lady to keep the change...

ME: Thank you, sir! Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Post by Purple »

I like the color of your thoughts.
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

You win. There, I have said it.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

Just goes to prove there's more than one way to win a fight.
"Beware the Beast, Man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone amongst God's primates, he kills for sport, for lust, for greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of Death.."
"Indelible in the hippocampus is the laughter. The uproarious laughter between the two, and their having fun at my expense.”
Raw Shark

Post by Raw Shark »

The best part is that I wasn't even lying, the boss actually did have a sit-down with her about beating down problematic customers. I just sold it by squaring up with the guy, maintaining eye contact, and telling him the unvarnished truth in a steady voice (including the saltine cracker part - those things take me a few seconds). :D

Zeropoint
Jedi Knight

Post by Zeropoint »

Sun Tzu wrote:The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting.
I'm a cis-het white male, and I oppose racism, sexism, homophobia, and transphobia. I support treating all humans equally.

When fascism came to America, it was wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross.

That which will not bend must break and that which can be destroyed by truth should never be spared its demise.
U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

That was the Chinese warrior-philosopher I was looking for. And, Shark, yeah, saltines on their own are pretty hard to choke down, which is usually why I eat them with cream cheese. Or ranch dressing. On occasion, butter.

Yeah, butter. The real kind, not margarine.

(the Captain's Wafers crackers restaurants often serve with salad, soup, and sometimes chili, are even worse. They taste like vomit to me)
Raw Shark

Post by Raw Shark »

U.P. Cinnabar wrote:And, Shark, yeah, saltines on their own are pretty hard to choke down, which is usually why I eat them with cream cheese. Or ranch dressing. On occasion, butter.
There would not have been any cream cheese, ranch dressing, or butter, on this one. The guy was seriously fucking huge. Like tall, broad-shouldered, and fat. Just one of those guys who is big in every way and acts like that means something important and is a right to say anything. But I would've gotten my ass kicked for her long enough for her to end his life anyway. Real friends are real friends, and I would take on any talking monkey walking on this planet for that girl. That's what best friends do.

U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

Amen to that.
Zeropoint
Jedi Knight

Post by Zeropoint »

Huh. I've never known anyone for whom I'd risk serious injury just to help them avoid job trouble.
I'm a cis-het white male, and I oppose racism, sexism, homophobia, and transphobia. I support treating all humans equally.

When fascism came to America, it was wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross.

That which will not bend must break and that which can be destroyed by truth should never be spared its demise.
Raw Shark

Post by Raw Shark »

Zeropoint wrote:Huh. I've never known anyone for whom I'd risk serious injury just to help them avoid job trouble.
I feel sorry for you over that. She would do the same for me.

Lagmonster
Master Control Program
Master Control Program

Post by Lagmonster »

I'm no expert on saloon culture, but I gather from watching people navigate them that Shark probably knew with reasonable certainty that he could sweet-talk the situation without a fight.
Raw Shark

Post by Raw Shark »

Lagmonster wrote:I'm no expert on saloon culture, but I gather from watching people navigate them that Shark probably knew with reasonable certainty that he could sweet-talk the situation without a fight.
Yeah, I wasn't that worried. The guy had a lot of swagger, didn't want to acknowledge closing time, and probably could've knocked me on my ass, but we were on camera and he wasn't really looking for trouble. I used to tend bar, and I help DBFF out sometimes when she's stuck by herself, has a broken elbow, and/or asks me to keep her company.

phred
Jedi Knight

Post by phred »

Apparently if you take 500 feet of schedule 40 pipe, put a 5hp motor and pump on the end of it, and drop it down a hole, you end up with a bunch of shredded pipe, a destroyed pump and a possibly fucked up well... Who knew?

Oh yeah, the guy selling the pipe. Maybe if you told him what you were going to do with the pipe you wouldn't have these problems. We have this amazing stuff now called steel, which is capable of handling the stresses of that application.
Raw Shark wrote:has a broken elbow,
This has happened more than once?
"Siege warfare, French for spawn camp" WTYP podcast

It's so bad it wraps back around to awesome then back to bad again, then back to halfway between awesome and bad. Like if ed wood directed a godzilla movie - Duckie