Best battery for charging a laptop and phone?

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Archinist
Padawan Learner

Best battery for charging a laptop and phone?

Post by Archinist »

What would be a good idea setup to charge a phone and laptop all day? I have a phone that lasts only for about a day or so without power, and a laptop that chews up battery on standby VERY quickly. I can put it on sleep, all fans dead, no lights, supposedly no heavyweight electronic activity, SSD, generally low-power 'ultrabook' style and within 30 minutes or so, about 20% life is already gone on nothing.

So what is a good battery for an affordable price? It would need to have at least 15 or 25-ish AH@12v or it is basically useless. Are there any good portable batteries with this capacity that look no different from a normal tablet power bank? It needs to look normal or people might get suspicious and shoot me for terrorism or something.

Most of the batteries on the internet are quite cheap, but they are stupidly heavy and weigh over 30 kilograms just for 15 or 20 AH. This is FAR too heavy to carry around in a pocket or a small handbag and also they are very large and bulky. Would it be better to simply purchase 10 or 20 laptop batteries and phone power banks and keep them all charged?
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Re: Best battery for charging a laptop and phone?

Post by Zixinus »

You test us whether we believe you are a troll or just stupid with every post.

Look up battery webshops (NOT alibaba or ebay, but a webshop with addresses in your country that gives guarantees) and see what batteries there are that are compatible with your phone/laptop and compare the stock. Most likely are that what the manufacturer gives you is what you can get. Sometimes you can one that's better by being bigger (I had one such).

But really, your battery is shit because you tried to use your laptop as a heater. That drains down the lifetime of the battery like a motherfucker and the intense heat from draining and charging ruins it. If the battery has bulges, it's bad and needs to be replaced immediately. Like I told you should.

If you aren't, well, welcome to the modern times where the "smart" in "smartphone" drains batteries down like a motherfucker compared to old Nokia phones that could last for weeks without charge.
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.
Archinist
Padawan Learner

Post by Archinist »

Zixinus wrote:You test us whether we believe you are a troll or just stupid with every post.

Look up battery webshops (NOT alibaba or ebay, but a webshop with addresses in your country that gives guarantees) and see what batteries there are that are compatible with your phone/laptop and compare the stock. Most likely are that what the manufacturer gives you is what you can get. Sometimes you can one that's better by being bigger (I had one such).

But really, your battery is shit because you tried to use your laptop as a heater. That drains down the lifetime of the battery like a motherfucker and the intense heat from draining and charging ruins it. If the battery has bulges, it's bad and needs to be replaced immediately. Like I told you should.

If you aren't, well, welcome to the modern times where the "smart" in "smartphone" drains batteries down like a motherfucker compared to old Nokia phones that could last for weeks without charge.
I was more going for an external battery that you can carry around with you and whatnot.

Buying a bunch of internal batteries would be too complicated and unreliable. So what are some good external battery packs out there?

Anyway, both the batteries for the phone and laptop can't be removed without voiding the warranty.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

...you do realize you pretty much already fucked the warranty through the ear by using the laptop in a manner that it was never intended for.

And most phone batteries can be swapped out with little to no consequences. Now if you're talking an iPhone, then that's different, but unless yours is one or a clone thereof... you can probably get a spare or two.

That said: yes, there are external power packs available. However, you're gonna have to suck it up and assume that they're going to be heavy.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

I was more going for an external battery that you can carry around with you and whatnot.
For phones, one or two might work. For laptops, especially high-performance laptops, not so much. They just take too much.
Buying a bunch of internal batteries would be too complicated and unreliable.
That was what I was suggesting and what might be a better solution, especially for laptops. Swapping charges between batteries has inefficiencies, so getting rid of the middle-man can simplify things. Unless you buy Apple or a tablet, swapping internal batteries is actually pretty easy process that shouldn't even require screws.
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.
Ziggy Stardust
Sith Devotee

Post by Ziggy Stardust »

Why do you need a battery? Plugging a battery into your phone or laptop actually drains its charge FASTER.
Archinist
Padawan Learner

Post by Archinist »

Elheru Aran wrote:...you do realize you pretty much already fucked the warranty through the ear by using the laptop in a manner that it was never intended for.

And most phone batteries can be swapped out with little to no consequences. Now if you're talking an iPhone, then that's different, but unless yours is one or a clone thereof... you can probably get a spare or two.

That said: yes, there are external power packs available. However, you're gonna have to suck it up and assume that they're going to be heavy.
Well, I use a oppo phone which is about the same as an iPhone and apparently the battery cannot be formally removed without breaking the warranty. So that's that. Not that I would like to carry around a dozen different phone batteries each trip and constantly swap them out into 2 seperate battery bags for empty and full ones, that sounds like a nightmare TBH.

I don't know about the laptop, but I've heard that you have to rely on dodgy 3rd-party batteries that may be either a real battery that works, a weak but effective IED that might work, or solid block of plastic.

Zixinus wrote:

For phones, one or two might work. For laptops, especially high-performance laptops, not so much. They just take too much.
Buying a bunch of internal batteries would be too complicated and unreliable.
That was what I was suggesting and what might be a better solution, especially for laptops. Swapping charges between batteries has inefficiencies, so getting rid of the middle-man can simplify things. Unless you buy Apple or a tablet, swapping internal batteries is actually pretty easy process that shouldn't even require screws.
No. If the internal laptop battery which can easily fit inside a light, thin notebook can power it for about 3 hours, then I am completely sure that a larger, bulkier boxy battery of much higher spec will be able to keep the same laptop charged for at least 10 hours.

How would buying 6 or 7 internal batteries at, what, $100 each, be better or more efficient than buying a large $250 external battery that would weigh maybe 2-4 kilograms and easily power both the phone and the laptop for easily more than 10 hours? The laptop batteries MAY last slightly longer, perhaps, but it is just not worth lugging around dozens and dozens of tiny batteries, some which would get lost, broken, etc etc.

And that's not even mentioning the extreme safety hazards of lugging around 10 or 20 batteries of unknown quality from some cheap Chinese store off the internet. They could all be small IEDs in the form of a battery, empty blocks of melted plastic, or just a mixture of highly toxic chemicals bouncing around in a loose plastic container flapping in the wind. Imagine if I left them somewhere or something. I'd probably get terrorism charges and be executed, just for a few hours of extra battery life!

But more seriously though, what are some good external ideas? I mean, there are plenty of suitable batteries/power banks that could easily charge a laptop battery or even a full-power 1200W desktop with ease.
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

I strongly recommend that you read this article.
No. If the internal laptop battery which can easily fit inside a light, thin notebook can power it for about 3 hours, then I am completely sure that a larger, bulkier boxy battery of much higher spec will be able to keep the same laptop charged for at least 10 hours.
Larger and heavier. If you want three times the capacity, you will need three times the batteries. That's what you get when you buy a bigger battery. That is how it worked for me. The more power charge you want to carry around ,the heavier it will be. If your batteries are already lithium-based then you are unlikely to get much better. Battery technology only goes so far no matter how much you are willing to spend.

Second, why are you completely sure? Even if you keep consumption to a minimum, your laptop's design heavily influences how long it can last on a charge. The higher performance on your laptop, the more it will drain. For example, a high-performance graphics card is always going to cause greater drain. Same goes if there is an optical drive present. That's partially the idea behind netbooks and other ultraportables, that have very little base charge and thus last much longer on the same battery than a more traditional laptop.

There is a chance that your laptop's manufactuere has made an ultra-high capacity version. Naturally, you should buy them from the manufacturer or from a licensed retailer. Then you'll be okay. Look up your laptop's model.
How would buying 6 or 7 internal batteries at, what, $100 each, be better or more efficient than buying a large $250 external battery that would weigh maybe 2-4 kilograms and easily power both the phone and the laptop for easily more than 10 hours?
Short answer: internal batteries are designed to be light and portable. If your laptop lasts 3 hours, then you are multiplying that time with how many internal batteries. You are vastly overestimating the power of external power supplies and completely ignoring the fact that they are not portable.

Long answer: Okay, at this point I have to ask: how do you define "internal battery"? Because I define it as a battery your laptop or phone comes with, the one the laptop was designed to put together with. I define "external battery" as batteries as independent batteries that are not designed to be part of the device but can supply a suitable charge for them, such as powerbanks or Uninterruptible power supplies.

The main problem with external batteries is that they aren't designed to circumvent internal batteries, but to supplement them. The idea of a powerbank is to have a portable charge once your phone's charge is down. With an UPS, the main goal is to kick in if there is a power failure and allow a computer enough time to save its work then shut down properly to avoid damage to it. The next problem is the transfer of charge. There is resistance and loss of energy from charging from one battery to another (because that's what you are doing). There is also creation of heat, which is something you want to avoid.

Getting internal batteries that you charge when you don't use your laptop or smartphone (say, at night before you go to sleep, some manufacturers make internal battery charging stations) avoids this issue. Swapping internal batteries for laptops is easy. Trying to run your laptop off an external battery as if it were on the mains is inefficient because power still needs to be transformed from mains levels to your laptop's levels. And if you want batteries that are charged to your laptop's voltage, well, that is what its internal battery is for. The whole point of a laptop is to avoid needing an UPS in the first place. UPSs are not portable and are very, very heavy because they are lead-acid batteries.

Out of curiosity, what the hell are you doing that requires you so much external battery life? Are you planning on going on a safari or something?
And that's not even mentioning the extreme safety hazards of lugging around 10 or 20 batteries of unknown quality from some cheap Chinese store off the internet.
First, are you really this stupid? How do you imagine this to work when you are asking for more batteries? Because your post is confusing in what exactly do you want.

Second, where did you imagine you'd get better batteries for you laptop? That there is a network of semi-secret super-battery shops strewn across the globe and you wanted to know which one is closest?

Third, this is why I told you to buy batteries from a reputable webshop with working guarantees and located within your country. People that actually will stand by the quality of what they sell, even if it heavily influences the price (the safety you get from such service is actually what you are buying). There are businesses that actually specialize in this. If they exist in Hungary, they surely must exist in the USA or wherever you are.
And that's not even mentioning the extreme safety hazards of lugging around 10 or 20 batteries of unknown quality from some cheap Chinese store off the internet. They could all be small IEDs in the form of a battery, empty blocks of melted plastic, or just a mixture of highly toxic chemicals bouncing around in a loose plastic container flapping in the wind. Imagine if I left them somewhere or something. I'd probably get terrorism charges and be executed, just for a few hours of extra battery life!
Okay, here's a big advice for you: don't base your knowledge of the word off meme sites.

Here is a reality: The more densely you pack energy, such as electric charge, the more unstable it is. The higher capacity a battery is, the greater the issue. Lithium batteries have internal circuits to prevent problems.
That said, modern batteries have as much power they have that can be safely stored. The infamous Samsung Galaxy Note 7 phones (whose negative effects are greatly exaggerated for humor) are the rare exception rather than the rule.

If you don't buy stuff from Alibaba or aliexpress or ebay but from reputable shops that provide real guarantees, your batteries are not going to explode. At worst, they might start a fire if they are improperly stored or used. This means leaving them exposed to the sun, heating them, using improper chargers, etc. However, nobody is going to confuse your spare batteries as IEDs unless you are acting deeply suspicious.
But more seriously though, what are some good external ideas? I mean, there are plenty of suitable batteries/power banks that could easily charge a laptop battery or even a full-power 1200W desktop with ease.
Yes and I actually handled such and they are very heavy because they are lead-acid batteries that are not meant to be portable. I actually have one on-hand because of work and they weight more than my whole laptop. They are designed to be stationary and for being in an UPS.
Credo!
Archinist
Padawan Learner

Post by Archinist »

Zixinus wrote:I strongly recommend that you read this article.
Larger and heavier. If you want three times the capacity, you will need three times the batteries. That's what you get when you buy a bigger battery. That is how it worked for me. The more power charge you want to carry around ,the heavier it will be. If your batteries are already lithium-based then you are unlikely to get much better. Battery technology only goes so far no matter how much you are willing to spend.
Well, according to eBay, you can buy box-sized branded 12v batteries that have around 20Ah and weigh only 3 or 4 kilograms and cost around $200. This seems quite cost-effective and lightweight, great for charging a phone or laptop.
Second, why are you completely sure? Even if you keep consumption to a minimum, your laptop's design heavily influences how long it can last on a charge. The higher performance on your laptop, the more it will drain. For example, a high-performance graphics card is always going to cause greater drain. Same goes if there is an optical drive present. That's partially the idea behind netbooks and other ultraportables, that have very little base charge and thus last much longer on the same battery than a more traditional laptop.
So how is a smaller battery with less capacity going to be magically better because it's "designed for laptops"? Also, there are plenty of high-end GPUs that are actually more power-efficient than more less powerful, outdated models, so high-end doesn't always mean more power-hungry.

A big boxy battery will almost always have more power capacity than a much smaller battery made out of thesame materials and quality.
There is a chance that your laptop's manufactuere has made an ultra-high capacity version. Naturally, you should buy them from the manufacturer or from a licensed retailer. Then you'll be okay. Look up your laptop's model.
I really doubt it. It's an ultrabook-type thingy, no optical drive or anything so I doubt they would make a bigger version.
Short answer: internal batteries are designed to be light and portable. If your laptop lasts 3 hours, then you are multiplying that time with how many internal batteries. You are vastly overestimating the power of external power supplies and completely ignoring the fact that they are not portable.

Long answer: Okay, at this point I have to ask: how do you define "internal battery"? Because I define it as a battery your laptop or phone comes with, the one the laptop was designed to put together with. I define "external battery" as batteries as independent batteries that are not designed to be part of the device but can supply a suitable charge for them, such as powerbanks or Uninterruptible power supplies.
But they are portable, they are used all the time in very portable and mobile applications. You can buy relatively lightweight 12v box batteries that weigh only 2-3 kilograms, less than the average PC chassis which is around 15 kilograms.
The main problem with external batteries is that they aren't designed to circumvent internal batteries, but to supplement them. The idea of a powerbank is to have a portable charge once your phone's charge is down. With an UPS, the main goal is to kick in if there is a power failure and allow a computer enough time to save its work then shut down properly to avoid damage to it. The next problem is the transfer of charge. There is resistance and loss of energy from charging from one battery to another (because that's what you are doing). There is also creation of heat, which is something you want to avoid.
I doubt there would be more heat from charging a laptop and a phone than constantly re-starting a slow-moving car in a traffic jam in 40C degree heat every few minutes and also powering the radio, fans, pumps, and all the other stuff. I am quite sure that there would actually be quite a bit less heat, especially since I live in a cool climate.

Also, plugging the laptop into the mains power is also losing energy from the transformer turning the AC mains power into 19.5v of DC power, which is one stage, the same as a battery. (Mains>>>DC>>>Laptop, as opposed to Battery>>>appropriate DC>>>Laptop, same thing mostly.)
Getting internal batteries that you charge when you don't use your laptop or smartphone (say, at night before you go to sleep, some manufacturers make internal battery charging stations) avoids this issue. Swapping internal batteries for laptops is easy. Trying to run your laptop off an external battery as if it were on the mains is inefficient because power still needs to be transformed from mains levels to your laptop's levels. And if you want batteries that are charged to your laptop's voltage, well, that is what its internal battery is for. The whole point of a laptop is to avoid needing an UPS in the first place. UPSs are not portable and are very, very heavy because they are lead-acid batteries.
A whole lot of unnecessary and convoluted nonsense when I could just get a single boxed battery capable of not only charging phones/laptops but also powering small fridges, fans, possibly starting small motorbikes depending on what type, etc.
Out of curiosity, what the hell are you doing that requires you so much external battery life? Are you planning on going on a safari or something?
No, I just want a laptop to be able to be walked from one side of the house to the other without losing 50% battery life. (exaggeration)
Second, where did you imagine you'd get better batteries for you laptop? That there is a network of semi-secret super-battery shops strewn across the globe and you wanted to know which one is closest?
Well when I look at the local battery stores, I can see dozens and dozens of superior external batteries literally coating the bloody shelves. It's not top secret that a external battery the size of a rockmelon will probably be better than a tiny, thin battery pack designed move some electrons around some wires and power a small light bulb., as long as they're roughly the same quality.
Third, this is why I told you to buy batteries from a reputable webshop with working guarantees and located within your country. People that actually will stand by the quality of what they sell, even if it heavily influences the price (the safety you get from such service is actually what you are buying). There are businesses that actually specialize in this. If they exist in Hungary, they surely must exist in the USA or wherever you are.
Meh, the sales quality of major brands like ASUS, Gigabyte, Samsung and others is supposed to be pretty shocking, apparently most of the time they will not even honour their warranty. I doubt they would be any better than a unknown seller.

Here is a reality: The more densely you pack energy, such as electric charge, the more unstable it is. The higher capacity a battery is, the greater the issue. Lithium batteries have internal circuits to prevent problems.
That said, modern batteries have as much power they have that can be safely stored. The infamous Samsung Galaxy Note 7 phones (whose negative effects are greatly exaggerated for humor) are the rare exception rather than the rule.
Well, there are plenty of reports on forums and Daily mail sites where people buy some 50 cent batteries off eBay and they catch fire or explode when used. And I doubt there are any legitimate laptop battery stores that sell the exact fitting battery in Australia. Also, what if their stock is actually just unbranded generic garbage? I doubt many people actually buy new batteries for their laptops, so it's not like anyone will actually notice except for the odd report in the daily mail.
If you don't buy stuff from Alibaba or aliexpress or ebay but from reputable shops that provide real guarantees, your batteries are not going to explode. At worst, they might start a fire if they are improperly stored or used. This means leaving them exposed to the sun, heating them, using improper chargers, etc. However, nobody is going to confuse your spare batteries as IEDs unless you are acting deeply suspicious.
So they will catch fire if they are heated? Well there is no chance then, as they will apparently burst into flame as soon as they're plugged in, because discharging/charging them will cause them to generate heat.

On a serious note, what sort of proper heavy-duty battery would catch fire if you left it in the sun or it generated a little teeny bit of heat? Aren't most batteries usually left in a heated environment outdoors? I guess leaving them outside for an extended time would definitely be bad, but a little bit of sunlight shouldn't do anything, unless of course, they actually are the dodgy batteries from alibaba.

Yes and I actually handled such and they are very heavy because they are lead-acid batteries that are not meant to be portable. I actually have one on-hand because of work and they weight more than my whole laptop. They are designed to be stationary and for being in an UPS.
[/quote]

How heavy? According to some descriptions on eBay and battery shops in Australia, they weigh only about 2 kilograms on average, or 5 kilograms at the most, wwhich is quite lightweight and could easily be taken around the place.
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

Archinist wrote:So what is a good battery for an affordable price? It would need to have at least 15 or 25-ish AH@12v or it is basically useless. Are there any good portable batteries with this capacity that look no different from a normal tablet power bank? It needs to look normal or people might get suspicious and shoot me for terrorism or something.
Does not exist, you'll have to build it yourself. Also, you'll need to build a 12V to 20V DC-DC converter with at least a 60-90W capacity, plus a 12V to 5V DC converter for your phone. Easiest way would be to hack a car adapter onto the battery pack. If you don't know how to do this, don't bother asking, the guys who know how it's done aren't going to waste their time teaching a dumbass like you.
aerius: I'll vote for you if you sleep with me. :)
Lusankya: Deal!
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
Tribble
Sith Devotee

Post by Tribble »

Typical Archinst scenario- ask a (usually) stupid question, then ignore all advice. Anyone else spot the trend?

"It's cold, I need help!"
"Put on a jacket"
"Jackets make you colder"
"No they don't"
"Yes they do"

"I think my laptop is broken. I need advice. "
"What happened?"
"I used it as a heater and now it's broken"
"Don't use it as a heater."
"I need to cause it's cold"
"Wear a jacket "
"Jackets make you colder "
"No they don't "
"Yes they do"

"I need something to warm my place up"
"WEAR A JACKET"
"... jackets make you colder "

"What are the odds of a plane suddenly falling out of the sky?"
"Pretty low"
"No it's not "
"Yes the odds are pretty low"
"... so what are the odds of a plane suddenly doing backflips and exploding?"

"I need some advice for an external battery "
"That heavily depends on the type of battery you are looking for and intended usage. Good internal batteries would generally be better for X reasons"
"No its not"

And so on and so forth

Btw does this laptop happen to be the same one Archinist burned to a crisp earlier by using it as a heater? If so I pity the battery that's going to be attached to it.
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - The official Troll motto, as stated by Adam Savage
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

Archinist: making people feel sympathy for inanimate objects since 2015 :lol:
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

Well, according to eBay, you can buy box-sized branded 12v batteries that have around 20Ah and weigh only 3 or 4 kilograms and cost around $200. This seems quite cost-effective and lightweight, great for charging a phone or laptop.
You know what? Go ahead and buy them then. Figure out why it won't work first-hand.

Let me explain something to you: we are not costumer sales reps obligated on helping you make the best possible purchase for you money. Nor are we here to validate your fantasies.

Because that is the attitude we get from and it pisses me off. I told you, in some detail, that what you want is a not only a bad idea but also not really possible. Not only do you dismiss what I explained to you with no refutation but willfully stupid insistence on your fantasy, you then tell me that I'm the one who who is talking nonsense. I tried to be helpful and threat every thread you make asking questions as genuine, but at this point you are either a troll not worth feeding or someone too stupid to be worth trying to help.
Credo!
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

Best way to charge your electronics is to hold it in one hand and shove a fork into an electrical socket with the other. :)

Archinist, why bother asking for advice if you are just ignoring it?
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Troll.

Alternatively... there is a very rare and pitiable personality defect, where a fundamentally stupid person will go around asking huge numbers of people for "advice." He then ignores all the advice until he finds one person to tell him to do whatever he was going to do anyway.

He was never looking for advice. He is simultaneously arrogant and insecure (a toxic mix). So he thinks he should do whatever he thought of doing... but he wants someone else to tell him to do it. That way, his insecurities and any lingering cognitive dissonance at what a fuckup he is are assauged. Moreover, when things predictably go wrong he can blame others.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

No, that sounds depressingly accurate. Fundamentally stupid-check. Ignores anything and everything anybody says- check.
What DOES rather point to troll is the fact that he never ever tried to blame the abject stupidity of his actions on anybody else.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

What suggest to me that he is a troll is that he can quote the Ah of a battery but not the voltage. So he is clearly checking things to substantiate his bullshit but clearly won't move an inch to do it.
Credo!
Archinist
Padawan Learner

Post by Archinist »

Zixinus wrote:What suggest to me that he is a troll is that he can quote the Ah of a battery but not the voltage. So he is clearly checking things to substantiate his bullshit but clearly won't move an inch to do it.
No, I mentioned the voltage and the capacity of the battery.

Simon_Jester wrote:Troll.

Alternatively... there is a very rare and pitiable personality defect, where a fundamentally stupid person will go around asking huge numbers of people for "advice." He then ignores all the advice until he finds one person to tell him to do whatever he was going to do anyway.

He was never looking for advice. He is simultaneously arrogant and insecure (a toxic mix). So he thinks he should do whatever he thought of doing... but he wants someone else to tell him to do it. That way, his insecurities and any lingering cognitive dissonance at what a fuckup he is are assauged. Moreover, when things predictably go wrong he can blame others.
I am simply questioning the advice and suggestions, as it seems somewhat dubious, saying certain things are "impossible", and "do not exist", but when I simply look them up, they clearly do exist. Also, I haven't blamed anyone on here for things going wrong in real life.

Zixinus wrote:
You know what? Go ahead and buy them then. Figure out why it won't work first-hand.

Let me explain something to you: we are not costumer sales reps obligated on helping you make the best possible purchase for you money. Nor are we here to validate your fantasies.

Because that is the attitude we get from and it pisses me off. I told you, in some detail, that what you want is a not only a bad idea but also not really possible. Not only do you dismiss what I explained to you with no refutation but willfully stupid insistence on your fantasy, you then tell me that I'm the one who who is talking nonsense. I tried to be helpful and threat every thread you make asking questions as genuine, but at this point you are either a troll not worth feeding or someone too stupid to be worth trying to help.
Okay, I guess calling your suggestions "nonsense" was a bit uncalled for, in that case. However, there were many things that you were saying that were actually just wrong, and you and everyone else is always insulting/flaming me, so I would have thought that exaggerating and saying that what you're saying is nonsense wouldn't take it too far.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Archinist, if a person who knows that technology exists, says a thing does not exist...

...And you do a quick Google search that makes you THINK the thing exists...

...You should seriously consider the possibility that you have misunderstood what you're looking at. And that the expert is right. Or that if they are wrong, you won't prove them wrong with a five second Google search.

Remember this:

https://xkcd.com/675/

By the way, do you still think jackets make you colder?
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Archinist
Padawan Learner

Post by Archinist »

Simon_Jester wrote:Archinist, if a person who knows that technology exists, says a thing does not exist...

...And you do a quick Google search that makes you THINK the thing exists...

...You should seriously consider the possibility that you have misunderstood what you're looking at. And that the expert is right. Or that if they are wrong, you won't prove them wrong with a five second Google search.

Remember this:

https://xkcd.com/675/

By the way, do you still think jackets make you colder?
What I thought had happened, was that the "expert" that may or may not be an actual expert, might have misunderstood me, and thought I wanted something completely different, for example instead of a large, somewhat heavy and uncomfortable battery pack to be carrying around that provides more running time than the one inside my devices, maybe he thought I was trying to get a magical unicorn battery that is lighter than a 5 cent coin, smaller than a breadcrumb and yet can somehow power an entire modern neighborhood of 10,000 people 24/7 for 2 weeks straight without being charged at all, which is of course impossible with today's technology.

As for the "five second google search", no, I have looked around various online stores and websites for quite a while now, and yes, they definitely do exist.

The best thing, of course, is that they actually exist in properly-marketed retailer stores, so they're not just some dodgey BS I found on 4chan or some sci-fi novel/fanfiction or anything. No! They are actual things you can buy in a normal shop, with normal-looking sales people walking around and telling you how good their stuff is, that it is made of magic quantasylumic lunar dust and how it is a million times better than what the other shops sell, which only use moldy bread dust instead.

You can also get the same sort of things from amazon, in which they have fairly decent reviews from, though not exactly the type I would use.

Here are some vaguely similar items on Amazon, note the "vaguely" part, these are not what I would actually use.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002X6VXL4

http://a.co/ghdEITt

http://a.co/gL4jjlS
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

Point, but you are still clearly ignorant of the fact that voltages need to be transformed (as well as adjusting the amperage). You also clearly do not understand how battery capacities work. This is partially what I (and others) tried to explain to you. The thing is, I'm tired of explaining things to you due to your attitude where you treat us like retail employees who have to take your bullshit.

I was actually tempted to do the numbers, they're fairly simple but frankly, fuck you and your bullshit attitude. You have your idea, you deal with making it a reality.

I am simply questioning the advice and suggestions, as it seems somewhat dubious, saying certain things are "impossible", and "do not exist", but when I simply look them up, they clearly do exist.
Not impossible but not convenient as you are imagine this. aerius outlined very clearly why the battery you found on ebay won't work (also, 2-5 kilos is a lot heavier than you think, especially if you want to carry it around daily). My explanation covers his point, among other things.

It is also stupid to waste this amount of money and effort just to move a laptop around the house. It would have been far simpler for you to just buy an extra charger for your laptop and smartphone. But no, you have this idea about some mythical super-battery that you insist must exist for no substantial reason which at the very least is far more complicated and inconvenient or outright doesn't exist.

Okay, I guess calling your suggestions "nonsense" was a bit uncalled for, in that case. However, there were many things that you were saying that were actually just wrong, and you and everyone else is always insulting/flaming me, so I would have thought that exaggerating and saying that what you're saying is nonsense wouldn't take it too far.
They are insulting and flaming you because of your past behavior, past demonstration of your stupidity that brake "common sense" level (the jacket thing for example where you refuse to believe something that a parrot has figured out) and because of your attitude. Again, you treat us as if we are obligated to validate your fantasies and also obligated to do your fact-checking for you. We're not. On this board you'll be straight-out called out for that and its allowed within certain bounds. You ignore, belittle or dismiss those who want to help you.

As for your "nonsense" comment, you have exhausted my good will and patience. If you were to have pointed out to me that I was unfair and harsh to you in tone, I would have admitted that to you and apologized for it. But instead you outright told me that I'm the one talking bullshit. It's not. I'm done.

There is a difference between ignorant and being stupid. When ignorant people are told the answer for their stupid question, they think about it and maybe look it up before they question the answer they were given. You have an idea you like, you ask whether it works and then ignore or dismiss everything brought up to why you it doesn't.
You can also get the same sort of things from amazon, in which they have fairly decent reviews from, though not exactly the type I would use.
What you found is there to jumpstart cars, not give you 10 hours of battery time for a laptop. UPS devices (for what you found the batteries for) for computers exist to provide power for minutes or maybe an hour or two, so the computers can shut down without losing data or being damaged by the power outage. Not to ride out the power outage.
Credo!
Archinist
Padawan Learner

Post by Archinist »

Zixinus wrote:
Point, but you are still clearly ignorant of the fact that voltages need to be transformed (as well as adjusting the amperage). You also clearly do not understand how battery capacities work.
You can just buy a laptop charger plug-in that plugs directly into the cigarette socket of the prepack or whatever you use to transfer power and that device will sort everything out for you, which then plugs into the device.

Not impossible but not convenient as you are imagine this. aerius outlined very clearly why the battery you found on ebay won't work (also, 2-5 kilos is a lot heavier than you think, especially if you want to carry it around daily). My explanation covers his point, among other things.
No he didn't, he just said that those things don't exist (they do), and for some reason I would have to build everything myself because none of the other accessories exist (they actually do). He did mention that attaching a cigarette lighter socket to the battery would be easier which it probably would be instead of inventing a bunch of entirely new things I guess.
It is also stupid to waste this amount of money and effort just to move a laptop around the house. It would have been far simpler for you to just buy an extra charger for your laptop and smartphone. But no, you have this idea about some mythical super-battery that you insist must exist for no substantial reason which at the very least is far more complicated and inconvenient or outright doesn't exist.
Okay before you go, please explain where I said I was only moving them around the house, and most importantly, explain where I mentioned the use of a mythical super-battery that apparently I made up somewhere in my posts. The batteries I were talking about were all batteries that did indeed exist, although the specs might have been slightly lopsided, but they certainly existed for about the $300+ range.

If I DID mention something about using them for only going around the house, then that was a mistake, and I meant to say that I wanted to use them when going outside the house and car/s, away from mostly any power socket available, without looking a bit odd and using random public power outlets that may or may not be switched on/exist where needed.
They are insulting and flaming you because of your past behavior, past demonstration of your stupidity that brake "common sense" level (the jacket thing for example where you refuse to believe something that a parrot has figured out) and because of your attitude. Again, you treat us as if we are obligated to validate your fantasies and also obligated to do your fact-checking for you. We're not. On this board you'll be straight-out called out for that and its allowed within certain bounds. You ignore, belittle or dismiss those who want to help you.

As for your "nonsense" comment, you have exhausted my good will and patience. If you were to have pointed out to me that I was unfair and harsh to you in tone, I would have admitted that to you and apologized for it. But instead you outright told me that I'm the one talking bullshit. It's not. I'm done.

It was meant to be a somewhat playful comment that you're not meant to take seriously. Something like "Lol, you HAVE to be pulling my leg, man! :wtf: :P" or something like that, but because I don't usually use emoticons at all, I didn't add anything onto it.

What you found is there to jumpstart cars, not give you 10 hours of battery time for a laptop. UPS devices (for what you found the batteries for) for computers exist to provide power for minutes or maybe an hour or two, so the computers can shut down without losing data or being damaged by the power outage. Not to ride out the power outage.
[/quote]

Yes, I said those were only VAGUELY similar things which I was thinking about, only to give people a rough idea of what I'm talking about.

Anyway, those jumpstarters did indeed have a 12V DC outlet on them, meaning I could just plug a 12V DC laptop converter in and charge away, and then plug the phone into the laptop's USB socket.

I also mentioned somewhere (I think) that I would also prefer to have BOTH a powerful laptop backup battery AND a semi-competent car jump starter, just in case I would need one. I mean they are roughly the same thing, except the batteries are usually slightly differently designed, but I doubt it would have an extreme impact on performance, especially not considering they only cost around $70 to $100. That's a pretty good combo considering another laptop battery itself costs a minimum of about $100 and can sometimes be higher.
Ziggy Stardust
Sith Devotee

Post by Ziggy Stardust »

It really doesn't even matter whether or not the batteries you are looking for exist or not, because there's still no practical reason why you should need them in the first place.

You do realize virtually every single person here has a laptop or a smartphone that they use regularly, right? And precisely zero of us have found the need to do what you suggest. Normal batteries and chargers have worked sufficiently for every single other person. You claim it will SOMEHOW be more convenient to lug multiple batteries around with you, instead of doing what every single other human being does on the planet and just bring their laptop with them, and plug it into the wall when the charge is low. This is not a terribly inconvenient process.

I TRAVEL for my job. Frequently. And while I'm traveling, I often have to work remotely, in airports, coffee shops, etc. Sometimes, even, in areas without a lot of infrastructure for electricity, like Tanzania and Madagascar. When I work remotely, I often have to run multiple memory-intensive programs (usually statistical modeling software), which eat up a lot of battery. When working at full tilt like that, I'm lucky to get more than 3 hours out of a fully charged battery. And yet ... I've never had to carry around multiple jumpstarters and batteries and other paraphernalia like you seem to think is necessary for YOUR laptop needs.

Even in the remotest areas (Google image search "Tsaranoro" for one example of how remote and rugged a place I've worked in, in that case for almost 3 months), I've been able to make do with a normal laptop battery and its charger. And I know for a fact it would have been MORE inconvenient to be carrying around all these multiple extra batteries with me, not just for the wasted weight and space in my luggage, but the extra trouble incurred bringing a bag full of fucking batteries through customs.

In short: If I have never had to do what you are thinking of doing, there is ZERO REASON why it should be necessary for you. If such a strategy were practical and effective, I would have been doing it for years, because the nature of my work means I am constantly in the situation that you claim this strategy will solve. It is not and does not. Of course, I expect that, per your usual modus operandi, you will completely ignore this post.
loomer
Sith Marauder

Post by loomer »

Yeah, the only reason you need a seperate set of batteries is if your equipment is totally fucked or you need the redundancy because you're going completely off-grid for a good while without a generator but still need electrics. I personally do carry a small battery for my tablet, but that's because it's practical and has a solar charger - and because I live in a storm-prone region so being able to charge devices when and if we lose power for a few days is actually a big deal for me, because I am a lunatic.
"Doctors keep their scalpels and other instruments handy, for emergencies. Keep your philosophy ready too—ready to understand heaven and earth. In everything you do, even the smallest thing, remember the chain that links them. Nothing earthly succeeds by ignoring heaven, nothing heavenly by ignoring the earth." M.A.A.A