HBO's True Detective

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Spekio
Jedi Knight

HBO's True Detective

Post by Spekio »

So last night I finished the first season. Wow.

Matthew Mcconaughey, whom, by the virtue of his early work I thought of as a weak actor, delivered a great performance. Cohle's lines would be comical, if not over the top, in the hands of someone else.

Woody Harrelson was great as well, and reminded me of more than one hypocryte law enforcement type I've encountered, but he seemed more of a deuteragonist, if anything.

I don't want to give any spoilers yet in case anyone who skipped this series opens this thread, but, in my humble opinion, this is a must see.

So, thoughts?
Dread Not
Padawan Learner

Re: HBO's True Detective

Post by Dread Not »

I thought it was absolutely terrific, though the build-up in the first half of the season was definitely better than the payoff in the second. Rustin Cohle has easily become one of my favorite television characters and Hart is plenty interesting as well. The narrative jumping back and forth between the past and the present is really elegantly done and ties in nicely with the unifying theme of the season. And the opening sequence and song is badass.

This has definitely been McConaughey's year having already won a Golden Globe and an Oscar for Dallas Buyer's Club, and I'll be damned if he doesn't win an Emmy and another Golden Globe for True Detective, especially considering they won't get another opportunity with the show being an anthology series.

I'm mostly curious about what they'll do with the second season and what will be the common thread for the seasons going forward. Will they continue featuring serial killers? Will the show still jump back and forth between time periods? Will police interviews still be used as a framing device? Not to mention all the rumors surrounding who the leads will be. My interest is piqued.
Spekio wrote:Matthew Mcconaughey, whom, by the virtue of his early work I thought of as a weak actor, delivered a great performance.
While he's been building his career up for a couple years now, that seems to be just about everyone's take on his turnaround.

TheHammer
Jedi Master

Post by TheHammer »

Dread Not wrote:I thought it was absolutely terrific, though the build-up in the first half of the season was definitely better than the payoff in the second. Rustin Cohle has easily become one of my favorite television characters and Hart is plenty interesting as well. The narrative jumping back and forth between the past and the present is really elegantly done and ties in nicely with the unifying theme of the season. And the opening sequence and song is badass.

This has definitely been McConaughey's year having already won a Golden Globe and an Oscar for Dallas Buyer's Club, and I'll be damned if he doesn't win an Emmy and another Golden Globe for True Detective, especially considering they won't get another opportunity with the show being an anthology series.

I'm mostly curious about what they'll do with the second season and what will be the common thread for the seasons going forward. Will they continue featuring serial killers? Will the show still jump back and forth between time periods? Will police interviews still be used as a framing device? Not to mention all the rumors surrounding who the leads will be. My interest is piqued.
Spekio wrote:Matthew Mcconaughey, whom, by the virtue of his early work I thought of as a weak actor, delivered a great performance.
While he's been building his career up for a couple years now, that seems to be just about everyone's take on his turnaround.

Well for years he was raking it in just playing "Matthew McConaughey" in various romantic comedies. It was less likely a lack of ability, and more likely the simple realization that he was making tons of money. Seems now he feels secure enough to branch out.
Ziggy Stardust
Sith Devotee

Post by Ziggy Stardust »

McConaughey was brilliant as Cohle. A really unique acting performance. I won't post any spoilers, but for those of you who have seen it, the long tracking shot in the climactic episode of Episode 4 was not only the highlight of the series, but one of the greatest individual action/suspense sequences I've ever seen (including in movies).
Scrib
Jedi Knight

Post by Scrib »

Isn't he in the same category as Cranston? Because, if so, beyond being a tactical fuck-up his chances are halved.
Dread Not
Padawan Learner

Post by Dread Not »

Scrib wrote:Isn't he in the same category as Cranston? Because, if so, beyond being a tactical fuck-up his chances are halved.
Breaking Bad won't be up for any more Golden Globes, though I'm pretty sure it's still within the cutoff dates for the Emmys despite only airing two episodes after the 2013 awards. Regardless, I'd still put my money down on McConaughey since Cranston has already won three Emmys for Breaking Bad and again, it's the only opportunity they'll have to award McConaughey for the role.