Question for Japanese speakers or members

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Question for Japanese speakers or members

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

So.. I am, hopefully, looking for what would be the Kanji version of a word I created for an anime super hero of my own design:
"Bishotron" basically a mash up of 'Bishonen' or "Beautiful Youth" and of course 'tron' (Because in English "RoboBishonen" just didn't sound right)

I have done some searching on my own, and "Bishonen" is (I think) 美少年. I was hoping of sticking something to the end, but I can't really find a Japanese symbol that could give me "tron"

Now apparently "メカ" is what is used for "Mech" or the shortened form of Mechanical.
So: (keeping in mind I know NOTHING about Japanese grammar)
メカ美少年 should be "Mecha beautiful youth" which doesn't sound right, or
メカ若衆 which should be "Mecha "beautiful person", which "若衆" was used mostly just in reference to males.

Now I also (again think) I have the direct translation of "Robot" or robo which should be "ボット" for robotto. That would be:
ボット美少年
Of course that is three symbols, which would work out to either a total of five or six.

So.. any help would be welcome,
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Executor32
Jedi Council Member
Location: In a Georgia courtroom, watching a spectacle unfold

Re: Question for Japanese speakers or members

Post by Executor32 »

If you can't translate, you can always transliterate. 'Tron' transliterated with katakana is トロン, so 'Bishoutron' would be 美少トロン. That might look/sound weird in Japanese, though, since it'd be a compound of 美 (bi) and 少トロン (shoutron), but I'm not exactly an expert in Japanese grammar so it might be better to ask Duckie.

Of the alternatives you presented, メカ美少年 (MechaBishounen) sounds best to me; メカ若衆 (MechaWakashu) and ボット美少年(BotBishounen) just sound weird.
どうして?お前が夜に自身お触れるから。
Long ago in a distant land, I, Aku, the shape-shifting Master of Darkness, unleashed an unspeakable evil,
but a foolish samurai warrior wielding a magic sword stepped forth to oppose me. Before the final blow
was struck, I tore open a portal in time and flung him into the future, where my evil is law! Now, the fool
seeks to return to the past, and undo the future that is Aku...
-Aku, Master of Masters, Deliverer of Darkness, Shogun of Sorrow
XaLEv
Lore Monkey

Post by XaLEv »

メカ美少年 sounds fine to me.
「かかっ―」
Sute
Youngling

Post by Sute »

Um, ボット美少年 would be "Bottobishounen," which I don't think is what you're looking for. If you're looking for "Robobishounen," then you'd want ロボ美少年

However, if all you're looking for is beautiful, you only really need to take the 美, or "bi" part (the other two parts basically mean "few" and "years" respectively, so I'm not sure you'd want to put them in a robot's name). It's not uncommon to add 美 to the end of a name (though I think it's usually to a girl's name), so maybe something like Mechabi/Mekabi, which would be written メカ美
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

Interesting... So would that come out to something like "Beautiful Robot? then? "Mecha-bi" with "bi" being pretty? That would be closer to what I am after, which would be basically "Beautiful boy robot" or something along those lines. I also like "メカ美" because it is also three characters.
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Sute
Youngling

Post by Sute »

Roughly, yeah. I think there might be a bit of an implication that it's a giant robot (since mecha is more commonly used for them), but it should be acceptable for a human-sized robot as well. If you really want the boy part in the name (and depending on the type of robot and how accurate you want the Japanese to be), there could be a few other ways of going about that, too.