Recommend new t.v. shows

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

JLTucker
BANNED

Re: Recommend new t.v. shows

Post by JLTucker »

Thanas wrote:People were telling me Cranston put in a fantastic performance and that the show was pretty smart. I found his performance okay. Not great, good yes, but not fantastic. I also found the overall storyline of S1 to be pretty bland and slow-moving. Shows I watch either have to have good quality consistently or great quality in a few episodes. Breaking bad is just....bland.
So basically your opinions are based on the hype that you forgot to leave at the door.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

No, I just don't see any great value in it that would keep me watching. This might surprise you, since you love shows I consider mediocre and plodding editing disasters, but really, there is not much that would keep me watching, hype or otherwise.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

I also second House of Cards, even if it gets a little problematic with how stupid and gullible some of the opponents are. Also, the wife of Kevin Spacey's character has a subplot that goes nowhere.

I would recommend Kings, it only lasted a season, but it was a good show that was too expensive to make and was also given a Saturday night deathslot because NBC didn't get the instant hit it wanted.
JLTucker
BANNED

Post by JLTucker »

Thanas wrote:No, I just don't see any great value in it that would keep me watching. This might surprise you, since you love shows I consider mediocre and plodding editing disasters, but really, there is not much that would keep me watching, hype or otherwise.
I am aware you don't like the Sopranos, but I recall you judging it against the hype and effectively making a fool of yourself with your complaints. So, I'm not taking your word for it in this instance.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

The only thing I recall from that is you being butthurt that I don't like the great disaster you spent hours pontificating on, but to each his own.
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
JLTucker
BANNED

Post by JLTucker »

Thanas wrote:The only thing I recall from that is you being butthurt that I don't like the great disaster you spent hours pontificating on, but to each his own.
I've actually seen a myriad of faults with it when I watched it again, so much so that maybe 50% of the seasons aren't worth a shit. We're on the same page that it isn't a brilliant work of art.

But I do think you're lying about not taking hype into account with popular shows you try. You flat out said you judged Cranston's performance against word of mouth, along with the show's alleged smart writing. The problem is that the hype machine is drummed up by fools who wouldn't be able to tell you why it's brilliant if you approached them offline where group think wouldn't back them up.

You did make the right choice to not watch more of it, though. It gets worse. I was just bothered by "I wasn't blown away" as if that should be a requirement for any work of art.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

JLTucker wrote:But I do think you're lying about not taking hype into account with popular shows you try. You flat out said you judged Cranston's performance against word of mouth, along with the show's alleged smart writing. The problem is that the hype machine is drummed up by fools who wouldn't be able to tell you why it's brilliant if you approached them offline where group think wouldn't back them up.
Dude, I had two of my friends tell me it is brilliant. Hardly some huge hype machine.
------------
------------
My LPs
Twoyboy
Jedi Knight

Post by Twoyboy »

If you like Heroes I'd say give Alphas a go. It's the same old 'people with super powers face off against one another and the rest of the world" routine, but without the seriously overpowered powers of Heroes or X-men, plus better writing.

However, it got dumped after 2 seasons, so prepare for disappointment...
I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals.
-Winston Churchhill

I think a part of my sanity has been lost throughout this whole experience. And some of my foreskin - My cheating work colleague at it again
Lord Pounder
Pretty Hate Machine

Post by Lord Pounder »

We've enjoyed the first 2 episodes of Breaking Bad. Think it's going to be one to persevere with, though I will admit it is a slow burn to start.

I've heard a lot of good things about Sons of Anarchy so I'll give that a try too.

I managed to get the first 4 seasons of Burn Notice from a friend but Midnight didn't like the looks of it. I have heard that Parks and Recreation was worth a look if you like awkward comedy, which Midnight does.

I'm just glad to have a few new options. Thanks for the tips guys.
RIP Yosemite Bear
Gone, Never Forgotten
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Burn Notice is probably the best popcorn show out there. Sons of Anarchy is great, except season 3.
------------
------------
My LPs
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Burn Notice can go die in a fire. The ongoing plots became so pointless and stupid and recurring (hey look it was actually this guy who burned you!).

Besides some good standalone episodes that series died with the end of the Management plot line.
Meest
Jedi Master

Post by Meest »

weemadando wrote:Burn Notice can go die in a fire. The ongoing plots became so pointless and stupid and recurring (hey look it was actually this guy who burned you!).

Besides some good standalone episodes that series died with the end of the Management plot line.
Agree that Burn Notice keeps stretching out it's life probably because USA doesn't want to let their top show go. Scrubs was a great comedy with great serious moments on life and illness, will make you laugh and cry type of show.
"Somehow I feel, that in the long run, Thanos of Titan came out ahead in this particular deal."
His Divine Shadow
Commence Primary Ignition

Post by His Divine Shadow »

Gandalf wrote:I'll echo Breaking Bad, because it's all types of awesome.

Also, I'll recommend Parks and Recreation. It's a documentary sitcom, with the talking head mechanic like The Office uses. If you ignore the horrific first season, it actually grows into an amazing show.
Yes I almost gave up on it due to the first season but by the 2nd it's great.

And if you like some old shows that you might not have seen, I've been rewatching Absolutely Fabulous and Bottom.
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who did not.
Lord Pounder
Pretty Hate Machine

Post by Lord Pounder »

I grew up watching Bottom and Ab Fab and loved them. Even saw Bottom live once which was excellent. I think it may have too many dick and fart jokes for Midnight's tastes.

We're up to the last episode in the first series of Breaking Bad, Business really picked up but we both agreed that if it weren't for the assurance that it gets better we might have dropped it.

Noticed when I was down in the in-laws house that there is a second series of Moone Boy starting on Sky 1 soon so we'll definitely be watching that.

If I get a job in the near future I may even be able to afford a Saorview Box. Our TV has free view built in but since we bought it when living in the UK it won't work this side of the boarder. Bloody Anglo/Irish relations screwing up again.
RIP Yosemite Bear
Gone, Never Forgotten
Terralthra
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Terralthra »

The first season of Lie to Me (available on Netflix) is awesome. The second and third seasons deteriorate, as the mystery plots are more interspersed with "drama" between the main cast members that isn't nearly as interesting.
Erik von Nein
Jedi Council Member

Post by Erik von Nein »

You know, it's weird with Breaking Bad, but I like it almost in spite of Walt. His character getting reset somewhat regularly forcing him to keep going down the tried and true path of "this time I mean it!" criminal lord is almost boring. Jessie, though, with his confused and craptastic life forcing him to eventually believe "yes, I am the bad guy" and then his struggle with every instance of him not being that bad of a guy is pretty great. Hank's character growth and change is pretty amazing. Don't know how much I should talk about him, but it's pretty interesting.

Every season's story, though, either is ridiculous (the terminator twins) or borders on ridiculous. I try to ignore them for the most part. I doubt I'll keep watching the series, though, after season three.
"To make an apple pie from scratch you must first invent the universe."
— Carl Sagan

Dalton
For Those About to Rock We Salute You
For Those About to Rock We Salute You

Post by Dalton »

The Newsroom is coming back next month if you're into that sort of thing.
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

Comedy

Veep; Julia Louis-Dreyfus is just brilliant as the Queen Bee of all things narcissistic. Her enablers and hangers on are just as funny and entertaining.

Parks and Recreation; Season 1 was meh, but when Adam Scott and Rob Lowe joined it really, really hit its stride.

30 Rock; if you haven't seen it, but get a chance to, then do.

Drama/Serious

Hannibal; Mads Mikkelsen is doing a fantastic job here as the good Dr. Hannibal Lecter, the gore is there as well for extra thrills (if you like), but you have to pay attention when Mads talks, his accent and delivery really demand it.

Elementary; love the concept of Sherlock relocating to NY, love the addition of Liu. Unfortunately my only criticism at the moment is that if you compare it to The Mentalist which is just Sherlock relocated in California, NY Sherlock doesn't come off quite as brilliant as California Sherlock. In short the writing is a bit weak but the acting is fantastic. It also suffers from stupid-programming-decision-itis.

The Mentalist; watch if you like Simon Baker. I like it, I like Malcom McDowell's cameos but it is essentially a silly(er) version of the Sherlock schtick. A guilty pleasure of mine.

CW Teen Angst

The Vampire Diaries; first two seasons (maybe the third as well) are worth it. The rest are disposable story arcs.

Sci-Fi/Fantasy

Supernatural; Seasons 1 - 5 are just a must see in my opinion. A good fantasy story with laughs, gags, creepy moments and emotional depth all while arcs were tight and with a purpose. Lost focus after that, but still enjoyable.

EDIT :: Above list might not be super helpful if you haven't got access though so oops! lol
Η ζωή, η ζωή εδω τελειώνει!
"Science is one cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on" - Masuka 'Dexter'
"Angela is not the woman you think she is Gabriel, she's done terrible things"
"So have I, and I'm going to do them all to you." - Sylar to Arthur 'Heroes'
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

I second 30 Rock. I think it is the best comedy to have been on TV in fucking years.

Sons of Anarchy... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: no seriously... :lol: :lol: ...OK, OK, it's entertaining, I'll give you that.

I just watched the first season of Cracker and thought it was great.

Hell if you like sci-fi and Heroes type shit, Justice League and Justice League Unlimited as well as Batman Beyond just came on Netflix. Cartoons yes, but they tell good stories and are fun to watch.

I think Doctor Who is my favorite show of all time now so I say give it another go.

As for Netflix series, of which House of Cards is one, give Lilyhammer a go. It has Stevie Van Sant of the Sopranos and the E Street band as the star. He is a mobster in the WPA that goes to Lilyhammer because he loved the Olympics when they were there. :lol: I liked it so much that I didn't watch the end of the first season because I didn't want it to end and didn't want to wait for the second season forever.

This is all coming from a person that hasn't had cable in like 3 years so all I have done is Netflix and just recently HBO Go over that period.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Also, it's nice to revisit Generation Kill every now and then. :D HBO Go is awesome.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

Whopper Junior!

Hav you watch True Blood? If not, you should. It's the best cartoon I've ever seen.
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Southland doesn't get the love it deserves. Since moving to TNT it's gone from strength to strength. It's high drama, but they get excellent work from their actors.
NeoGoomba
Sith Devotee

Post by NeoGoomba »

After catching the first season on Netflix, I have to say I am entranced by Adventure Time. Totally came out of left field. Awesome show.
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know...tomorrow."
-Agent Kay
Dread Not
Padawan Learner

Post by Dread Not »

Since we no longer appear to be limiting ourselves to "new shows [...] to watch that aren’t likely to get cancelled in the next season" I'll add that I consider Deadwood and the Wire to be the two greatest dramas to ever bless television airwaves.

If you don't mind watching toons, Avatar: The Last Airbender (or the Legend of Aang as I believe it's called in Europe) is great for people of any age. I consider it the Star Wars of the 21st century.

Carnivàle is a great fantasy series that was like Lost before Lost even existed.

If you're looking for some good dramedy, I recommend the Closer and Boston Legal, though the latter got to be a little too screwball towards the end.
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

weemadando wrote:Southland doesn't get the love it deserves. Since moving to TNT it's gone from strength to strength. It's high drama, but they get excellent work from their actors.
Yeah I love Southland, but I haven't seen it since a certain someone got shot up buy a pimp in a drive by.

Just wondering did anyone see Hannibal last night? Gillian Anderson was fucking AWESOME :!:
Η ζωή, η ζωή εδω τελειώνει!
"Science is one cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on" - Masuka 'Dexter'
"Angela is not the woman you think she is Gabriel, she's done terrible things"
"So have I, and I'm going to do them all to you." - Sylar to Arthur 'Heroes'