NFL 2012

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Thanas
Magister
Magister

Re: NFL 2012

Post by Thanas »

Man I'd be happy to take 10-6 at this point in the season.

New injury list:

Marshal Yanda (you know, our best Olinemen) - undisclosed injury, was on crutches, did not retunr
Jameel McClain - starting MLB - neck injury, did not return
Ray Rice - hip injury - played through it
Vontae Leach - hip injury - played through it

Now all we need are some injuries to Flacco and Smith/Bolden and you could build a playoff team with the players we alone have put on the injury report.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Now on to my weekly Kaepernick rant...

So... 18-23 for 185, 1 fumble, no passing TDs, Vernon Davis has 1 catch for 4 yards, sacked 4 times, 2-10 on 3rd Down. Well, I am sure glad we are sticking with the hot hand :lol:

Seriously, I feel like I am the only one concerned about the fact that stat wise, Kaepernick has gotten progressively worse in each start. Every argument people have made for Kaep over Smith is completely bullshit:
Can get away from pressure and doesn't hold the ball: Sacked 11 times in 5 games.
More explosive: Only 3 passing TDs and no passing performance over 250 yards in 4 1/2 games.
Won't make dumb mistakes: Directly gave 10 points to the Rams and cost us that game.
His athleticism will be a huge problem for opposing defenses: He only has 2 rushing TDs in 4 starts... he had 3 rushing TDs in all the games he came off the bench and again, 11 sacks taken in the last 5 games, 13 all season.
He won't dink and dunk like Alex Smith did: 243, 231, 203, 185...
Defense wins the games, not Alex Smith: There is no direct correlating stat, but Aldon Smith is set to break the single season sack record by a mile, the defense won the game against the Saints, obliterated 2nd string Campbell against the Beasr, held the Rams to 6 offensive points, held the Dolphins to 6 points until 6 minutes into the 4th quarter.

Basically, without the two rushing TDs, which everyone knows Alex Smith can do as well (he was in the same offense Tebow ran in college under Urban Myer and we all saw the Saints playoff game last year) his stats are almost a carbon copy of Smith's stat line. It is only his pure speed and ball velocity that are clearly superior to Smith's.

But guess what... Smith doesn't make that pitch against the Rams, because they don't call that play with him in there and he doesn't take that safety because he isn't going to run backwards 20 yards into the endzone.

Now, going into New England and then into Seattle do I have anymore confidence in Kaepernick than then I do in Smith? Nope.

What I see is Alex Smith, with wheels. Yeah, Moss got interfered with on the flea flicker that should have been caught or called, but Alex Smith makes that throw too because that is the throw you make on that play. I do think there is more upside with Kaep because of his arm strength and his speed, but I don't think he sees what Smith sees. Even though he had some shit years, he was still on the field learning he has seen a lot in that time and it shows in his checks and audibles. That was one thing that the good talking heads, the guys that really see what is going on and watch the game tape and coaching film, were consistently saying about Smith this year, even going as far as comparing him to P. Manning in his ability to see what the defenses were doing. Kaep isn't there and he certainly isn't going to be there by next week in time to face a Bill Belichick defense that is playing really fucking good right now and pretty much never loses in Nov/Dec. Especially at home. And we honestly can't afford to lose any games like as I said in my previous post, I think the Seahawks are going to win two easy ones against Buffalo and St. Louis so we can't afford to drop this one against the Pats.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

According to the NFL website, Kaepernick quieted his doubters with his performance.

Though of course those writers are all for the hype. Hyping Griffin to the end when he looked like a slightly younger version of Michael Vick in that game.
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Alferd Packer
Sith Marauder

Post by Alferd Packer »

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance--that principle is contempt prior to investigation." -Herbert Spencer

"Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain." - Schiller, Die Jungfrau von Orleans, III vi.
starslayer
Jedi Knight

Post by starslayer »

This should make Thanas happy. Now to see who they hire to replace him in the offseason.
AMT
Jedi Knight

Post by AMT »

I honestly think Kaepernick only did as well as he did originally because the teams just weren't prepared. Now there's several game tapes showing what he can do, the other teams can adjust, and thus the steadily worsening performance.

What they should do is make it so either QB can start at any time, forcing the defense to have to potentially train themselves against two separate threats.
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

starslayer wrote:This should make Thanas happy. Now to see who they hire to replace him in the offseason.
It might not be Norv. Believe it or not, the Chargers still have a chance of making the playoffs. :shock:

All they need is for the Steelers and Bengals to lose 2 of the last 3, and the Browns to win one. Oh who am I kidding? They'll get Tebowed in two weeks, I just know it!
:banghead:
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

God damnit. First I miss out on Elfdarts rantings and now Thanas, too? :cry:
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

At least I can take some schadenfreude in the Jets' fucked up QB contract situation. Sanchez is playing terrible, but they can't get rid of him because they signed him for an assload of guaranteed money.
“It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.”
-Jean-Luc Picard

"Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them."
-Margaret Atwood
Col. Crackpot
That Obnoxious Guy

Post by Col. Crackpot »

Elfdart wrote:
starslayer wrote:This should make Thanas happy. Now to see who they hire to replace him in the offseason.
It might not be Norv. Believe it or not, the Chargers still have a chance of making the playoffs. :shock:

All they need is for the Steelers and Bengals to lose 2 of the last 3, and the Browns to win one. Oh who am I kidding? They'll get Tebowed in two weeks, I just know it!
:banghead:
And you know Norv would scrape out onee playoff win if they made it in. They'd be a sixth seed and would beat Baltimore. And that would be the greatest thing ever.
"This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we’ll be lucky to live through it.” -Tom Clancy
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?&v=sqtZ_c3cyhE
http://www.quickmeme.com/meme/3s4lkl/

Caldwell is the guy for the job IMO. He is a proven winning Coach, he knows how to develop a QB and has done great work, especially with play-action passes etc. His pedigree includes Payton Manning. I am very much a happy camper right now.

That said, I kinda feel bad for Cameron. Though there was a bit of friction between him and Harbaugh on the sidelines this game, I would not have believed this to be a possibility.

EDIT:

some internet rumours:
Cam was fired due to his lack of ability to follow a direct order. yesterdays game, john told him to make a play and cam disobeyed for the final time. there was a huge blow out between them on the sideline. john fired him this am because the man does not listen to his superiors.
Everybody who watched TV saw that blowup. End of first half.
------------
------------
My LPs
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Well, I guess now a real defense can take a shot at the Pats. :lol: The Texans sure didn't live up to their hype. I dunno, they have gotten straight embarrassed by the Packers and now the Patriots, seems like they may be paper tigers.

We also got our asses handed to us by the Giants so you never know, but it was more their defense stepping up on our offense, which is our weaker unit. The Texans D is supposed to be their bread and butter.

I guess we will see what is what for the next two weeks Sunday Night Football at New England and then Sunday Night Football at Seattle.

Kaepernick, I hope you are the guy that people keep saying you are buddy. I know our D will show up and hopefully Aldon and Justin can put a beating on Brady. I'm glad Gronkowski is out of this game, not that I don't think that Willis and Bowman can cover him for most of the night, it is just that they won't be able to cover him the whole damn night. Vernon Davis needs to step up and hopefully Moss will really want to show up Belichick and puts everything he has into this one.

My biggest worry though, now having some time to think about it is winning the damn game and then having a let down against Seattle, which is the game we really need to win. C'mon Buffalo circle those wagons. :lol:
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

The thing is, as much as I fucking hate to say it, the Pats have a fucking awesome high scoring offense, and literally the only way to beat them is to have an offense that can outscore them. I don't think there's a D in the league that can stand up to Brady.
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Well, yes and no. Give the Texans back their corners who are currently on IR as well as their MLB in Cushing and it might very well look different.

But yeah, the rule changes essentially leave any normal defence without a chance.
------------
------------
My LPs
Col. Crackpot
That Obnoxious Guy

Post by Col. Crackpot »

Thanas wrote:Well, yes and no. Give the Texans back their corners who are currently on IR as well as their MLB in Cushing and it might very well look different.

But yeah, the rule changes essentially leave any normal defence without a chance.
clearly those rules changed helped the #2 offense in the league convert on third and fourth down last night. Oh, wait...
"This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we’ll be lucky to live through it.” -Tom Clancy
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Col. Crackpot wrote:clearly those rules changed helped the #2 offense in the league convert on third and fourth down last night. Oh, wait...
I am confused. Are you denying that the rules are rigged in favor of the offence?
------------
------------
My LPs
Col. Crackpot
That Obnoxious Guy

Post by Col. Crackpot »

Thanas wrote:
Col. Crackpot wrote:clearly those rules changed helped the #2 offense in the league convert on third and fourth down last night. Oh, wait...
I am confused. Are you denying that the rules are rigged in favor of the offence?
rules changes affect every offense. What benefit did Houston see from them last night?
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

If you think that they affect every offense equally, you are wrong. The rules changes favor pass-heavy offences relying on QB play, which is what NE does, and do not favor run-heavy offences like Houston the same way.
------------
------------
My LPs
Col. Crackpot
That Obnoxious Guy

Post by Col. Crackpot »

Thanas wrote:If you think that they affect every offense equally, you are wrong. The rules changes favor pass-heavy offences relying on QB play, which is what NE does, and do not favor run-heavy offences like Houston the same way.
New England is, like Houston, has a balanced offence. Ridley is on pace for a 1400 yard season. Add in the roleplayers they love to use and overlook that running game at your own risk. All season long Matt Schaub benefited from these rules changes. Some teams are just better at it than others. I get that you are old school, and prefer smashmouth defense. But that doesn't win anymore. Adapt or lose.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

New England runs through Tom Brady. Houston does not run through Matt Schaub. If you continue to claim that the offences are working on the same level or using the same scheme, I have no choice but to declare you delusional.

Also, lol at the "rules have changed in our favor so you better become like us because the rules favor us" statement. Only the biggest beneficiary of behind the scenes maneuvering would say that.
------------
------------
My LPs
Col. Crackpot
That Obnoxious Guy

Post by Col. Crackpot »

I'd offer you bandaid for your buthurt boo boo Thanas, but they are for my kids so they have a Pats logo on them.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Col. Crackpot wrote:I'd offer you bandaid for your buthurt boo boo Thanas, but they are for my kids so they have a Pats logo on them.
I thank you for conceding the argument and wish you a good day. May Pollard be with you.
------------
------------
My LPs
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

What rule changes are you guys arguing about?
“It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.”
-Jean-Luc Picard

"Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them."
-Margaret Atwood
Col. Crackpot
That Obnoxious Guy

Post by Col. Crackpot »

Guardsman Bass wrote:What rule changes are you guys arguing about?
In a nutshell, Thanas thinks QB's should be tacked at the knees because Tom Brady is a pussy. Also he doesn't like the newer rules limiting contact with recievers because football should be brutes bashing the fuck out of each other at the line of scrimmage like it's 1965.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

What a great insight into my mind you have. :roll:
------------
------------
My LPs